All Topics / General Property / Property bust not here yet … worse to come

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 1,123 total)
  • Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Man… been reading the last couple of post and I have to say, it reminds me of conversations that I have had with my best friend back in Singapore. Since coming over to Australia in Feb '04, I have been intrigued by property investing and recently, started learning about Sharemarket investments.

Over the years, I would email my friend about the need to building one's wealth, maybe set up a business and provide jobs to others. We had a number of arguments over the years via email due to misinterpretation, differring views, etc. When I was back in Singapore last year, we took up this discussion again, and he said to me this.

"The financially rich got to where they are because they stood on the shoulders of others, depended on the elbow grease of many below. I have not come across one rich fellow who is also a nice generous person. If you want to be rich, make sure you do not exploit others, even if others are willing to let you stand on their shoulders."

I then brought up the whole idea of businesses providing jobs to those in 3rd world countries, as I had just returned from a holiday in Cambodia. He responded.

"Sure, those Corporations are providing jobs in the developing countries, but they are still exploiting them. Companies are making even bigger profits by offshoring such operations. Where they used to pay a worker in their developed home country $2K a month, now they only pay $200 a month. You want to talk about being fair, then pay that 3rd world country worker $400 a month instead. You, as a business owner, still make $1600 per worker in lower cost."

It made me realise this; that I should go about to create my wealth in an ethical and moral way that harms no one. After all, if I was meant to be rich, I will be. There is more than one way to be financially rich, and still lead a respectable life.

Regards
    Daniel Lee

Profile photo of harbharb
    @harb
    ummester wrote:
    Everyone who owns property should make (more or less) profit equal to the interest they pay on the loan over a long term loan period. This generally equals wage inflation over the same period and everyone, including the banks, remains comfortably in business.

You buy a house in '95 for 150k and, by the time it's paid off in 2020, you have ended up paying the bank 450k for it but, by then, it is worth that much. That is balanced.

2020 – The next door house was sold in '95 for $150K but changed hands 5 times and each time the REA commission and tax "increased" its value so now the last owner has to sell for $600K to recover his costs based on your balanced formula. He puts it on the market for $600K and because of the housing shortage in the area he will not have a problem getting that. You also decide to sell, will you put yours on the market at $450K knowing very well that you can get $600K ?

Quote:
    If you buy a house with cash and sell it down the road, you make a clean profit. There is nothing wrong with that as you are not using the bank for a service. You either worked or saved hard, so good luck to you.
    And I have said this before Harb, I don't mind paying extra for houses that have been genuinely improved with well made decking, pools, looked after grounds etc. This is not the kind of speculative value I'm talking about and you know it.

Then its OK to buy from someone who bought during the top of the boom added a few extras and is now selling for what he paid for the property + improvements ? Or will you not buy from someone who bought his house at the top of the boom because he overpaid for the property ?.

Quote:
    We have just had 20 years of housing inflation squeezed into under 10 and anyone should be able to see it is not sustainable. Average wages can not afford last years house prices until (provided wage inflation is reasonably linear)  2020, so the prices either have to stagnate from now or drop and then rise again.

How about the 10 years before that, did houses performed in line with inflation or below that ? I'm sure you can look at a smaller period and say that 6 years of inflation was squeezed into under 2 and be also correct. Sure prices could stagnate or drop and then start to rise but they could also just rise which you forgot to mention. Perhaps we are already seeing a combination of all 3 right now where the bottom end of the market is rising, the mid range is stagnating and the top end of the property market is falling .

Quote:
     Don't care if I go without for that balance to be restored and, as the Boomers die, it will be but it is the road from hear to that point that is uncertain. Bottom falls out now and boomers learn to live on dogfood. Prices stagnate and a lot of mortgaged gen X & Y get used to financial mediocrity. Either way, balance will be restored eventually.

Great, houses will once again be affordable as the Boomers die and never mind that population is increasing at a much faster rate then the Boomers die. And why would they need to learn to live on dogfood ? Unless they sold their IPs to put the proceeds tax free into the super fund and lost it on the stock market they are still getting a regular and increasing rental return until they die. Once that happens their family would take over the title and become the new landlords or sell it at market price. Either way I can't see how the Boomers could affect property prices to any great extent by dying OR selling, short of them being conned into selling below market value by some con artist. Just look at the minimal impact that Costello's tax free deal for Boomers had on prices when a large number of them rushed to sell before the deadline.

Of course now that interest rates didn't reach the expected 15%+ , the mortgage resetting  that was forecasted to cause the property crash didn't eventuate and the bottom of the property market has began to move upwards once again you need to believe that someone/something else will come along and miraculously bring things into balance. Its a shame that you are happily agnostic or could have prayed to your God for a price crash or at least for him to take away all the Boomers so property could become more affordable.
    Its also a shame that you didn't follow my suggestion last year to buy a place in Tumbarumba while you could still get some under $50K or buy a few and sell them now for a nice profit.  

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester

Harb,

I'm only going to make a couple of points. We have been over much of htis ground before:)

Tumbarumba is still a very cool name for a town.

If the bottom keeps rising and the top, the middle stagnates and the top falls – what do think is going to be the end result? Every house, no matter how well made and how big the plot it's on, costing the same?

Boomer retirements and future deaths far outwiegh population increase in developed and semi developed nations. We are not having children fast enough to support the hole they are going to leave and it is not possible to make up the lost ground before they die.

Profile photo of ErikHErikH
    @erikh

wow…

I've been away for about 6 weeks or so due to a relocation and am totally surprised by the change in tone of the discussions here. If you were to interpret this as a contrarian, I would suggest that based on the fact that even the property investors are getting bearish we must be close to the bottom which would mean it's time to become bullish!

And since when is it wrong to become rich? The suggestions that rich people must break the law to become rich is naive and simplistic and sounds a touch jealous. Plenty of stories of people on public support who commit fraud to keep / increase their support. Statistically speaking most millionaires are people who have their own business, work hard and live below their means… I know that's not exciting to talk about and won't make the headlines like surgeons, sports icons or movie stars

@harb
    ummester wrote:
    We have been over much of htis ground before:)

Yes but its always fun to go back over it from time to time and see what's changed. ;-)

Quote:

Tumbarumba is still a very cool name for a town.

Picking a dump under $50K and flogging it now for double that would also have been cool.

Quote:
    If the bottom keeps rising and the top, the middle stagnates and the top falls – what do think is going to be the end result? Every house, no matter how well made and how big the plot it's on, costing the same?

I agree with you that you can't have every house and plot costing the same, location and quality of the building is what differentiate properties. If a new H&L package 50KM from the CBD has a minimum replacement cost of $250K then something 5KM from the CBD surely has to cost a lot more then that. $000K more, since you would save about $200 a week and about 10hrs (another $250) travel a week  to work over the working life. So at $20K a year over 30 years you'd be looking at an extra $600K on top, not to mention the extra family time you get which is priceles. So a $850K 5Km from CBD would be a real bargain and not overpriced at all.
    Since the bottom of the market is rising at a certain point the buyers will decide that its worth spending the extra money to get a better quality home in a better location. Once that happens the mid range market starts going up and the mid range buyers will start looking at the then undervalued top end market.  The most important thing is that the bottom market which is the entry point for the first home buyers is  going up, its only a matter of time before the rest of the market follows.

Quote:
    Boomer retirements and future deaths far outwiegh population increase in developed and semi developed nations. We are not having children fast enough to support the hole they are going to leave and it is not possible to make up the lost ground before they die.

Which is where migration comes in, or do you honestly believe that in 20 years time we will have a smaller population then we do now ?
    If the ~10M increase in population we had in the past 40 years caused property prices to go up so much what do you think the 20M increase expected in the next 40 years will do ? 

http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]/mf/3222.0

@ummester

I am pretty sure that the only reason the bottom is stable (or, as you say, increasing in some instances) is because of the FHBG boost. It has given extra purchasing power to young FHBs. It is a very good time for an owner of an entry level home to sell and upgrade at the moment. We will have to see what happens after June/July on this front.

In times of rising unemployment any governement is mad not to curb migration into the country. And, I actually do believe that there will be less people on this planet then there is now in 20 odd years, for a whole variety of reasons, of which Boomer deaths are one. Another is increases in 3rd world mortallity rates. Another is the potential of global conflict that always co-incide with depressions and prolonged recessions.

It will take 40 odd years for us to get to the end of this debate but if we are still posting about it we will see then:)

I am going to check out an auction – see if it sells for more or less than I expect.

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Wow!
    How did we get to rich is bad?  Why, unmester, if you don't want to ever own any real estate other than your own PPOR are you such an active participant on a property investors forum? All very interesting ideas.  It is necessary to recognise that resources are scarce, and that if you are to increase your own wealth, it will be at the expense of others.  Is this unfair?  Not necessarily.  If you provide housing, funding, labour, skills, products that other people are willing to pay you for, then what is wrong with that?  If you are particularly skilfull at leveraging your own set of resources to provide a high profit, then what is wrong with that?  There is everything wrong with lying, cheating, taking part in dishonest dealings.  Some people make alot of money that way, some go to jail, some end up dead. 

I'm reminded of a comment my mother in law made once when my husband and I were relating a story about a succesful couple who are freinds of ours.  This couple had built up a successful business, and done very well providing a service within the mining industry.  They were in the process of defending a workers comp related lawsuit.  Good old story of employee has a minor but permanent injury and is going to make sure it means not having to work for the rest of their life (I think the bloke lost a finger).  My mother in laws comment was pretty much along the lines of our freinds were getting what was coming to them.  The idea was that they could have only achieved such success unethically and that they were now in for the related fall.  My mother in law and her husband are lovely, but not at all well off.

My original problem was with the "rich people are selling" comment that was made by W4L quite a few posts ago.  My problem was that the comment was very non specific, and wasn't referenced.  Who were these rich people, what were they selling, why should that indicate something to us, and if so then what, where did this information come from?  My intention was not to demonstrate any feeling that "rich people are evil", just to challenge the point that the statement "rich people are selling" meant anything very specific about the economy.  

Personally, I happen to believe that there is ample scope for sufficiently skilled, informed, motivated and well timed individuals to make alot of money without compromising their ethics.

@harb
    ummester wrote:
    . It is a very good time for an owner of an entry level home to sell and upgrade at the moment.

Upgrade like to a higher priced property in the mid range? In that case the increase in the grant is causing a ripple effect throughout the property pond and soon it will reach the high end properties. ;-)

Quote:

And, I actually do believe that there will be less people on this planet then there is now in 20 odd years, for a whole variety of reasons, of which Boomer deaths are one. Another is increases in 3rd world mortallity rates.

What exactly does the 3rd world mortality rate has to do with the increase in Australia's population? If anything they will bring more in more refugees and increase the population. 

Quote:
    Another is the potential of global conflict that always co-incide with depressions and prolonged recessions.

Now I know you're hanging on to straws.

Quote:

It will take 40 odd years for us to get to the end of this debate but if we are still posting about it we will see then:)

Well, this thread has been going on for almost 3 years now or about 7% of a 40 years period so 40 years is not a long time. I do hope that sometime before the next 40 years you come across a period when you think that it is a good time to buy and so have no reason to continue to be bearish.

Quote:
    I am going to check out an auction – see if it sells for more or less than I expect.

Don't forget your cheque book or you could miss out on a bargain.

@ummester
    harb wrote:
    Upgrade like to a higher priced property in the mid range? In that case the increase in the grant is causing a ripple effect throughout the property pond and soon it will reach the high end properties. ;-)

That is a reasonable point and no doubt exactly what Australia's REI is hoping for when they push to have the grant increased. It does require people wanting to upgrade and feeling secure enough in their employment to upgrade. But don't you ever wonder why the real estate industry needs grants and boosts to keep it going and other industry in Australia doesn't?

Why is there no first car buyers grant, first business openers grant and that kind of thing? Is it just possible that housing is overpriced and without the grant there will be no turnaround at the bottom end? Is it possible that the housing industry in this country actually needs the grant to function now? And if so, doesn't that bother you in the least?

Profile photo of PaulliePaullie
    @paullie

Housing is overpriced, and the FHBG has to go.

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

I received a call last week from a person that with very grave voice, like a funeral director, told me he wanted an appointment to help me in my situation.
    When I asked who he was and if he was buying or selling he kept on going with his line of "my situation". I don't have much time for bull artists so I told him if he could explain what situation that may be. To what he replied as if he was reading my clinical history from the chart at the bottom of my hospital bed. You have a rental property and the problems created to the world financial market by speculators has brought you to your situation.
    Now lets draw a merciful curtain over the un professionalism, mediocrity and poor ethics of this call and lets concentrate on why was this hungry soul using this line to obtain a meeting to sell me some overpriced and useless "advise".
    Clearly he had done his homework and found that most people respond to blame placing on others. If you blame the powerful and call them speculators you are on a winner. Let's go to the pub and have a beer over it!  If he then pulls a whole set of world problems as if he knew what he was  talking about and rattles along blaming everything from the price of butter to the last dodo barbaque onto those who have more than you, two cars (imagine the waste you can only drive one right?) more than one property, you can only live in one cave, what do you want two for? Etc…. I am sure you have heard all this before.

The point however and the only I am interested in, is that all the scores of people who blame their inaction on others, particularly speculators and greedy rich, (since we all know that every single person with money has broken the law and buys Mercedes and performs fake surgery) has his poor success rate to blame on his own set of values. Precisely those values that he thinks make him meritory to a medal to honesty. The fact that his values are false, and that proving it is a matter of a few hours of research is irrelevant. Our (his) values are so tightly nit to our character that without help it is very difficult to extricate oneself from the maze that is holding one behind.

So if the market is down the proactive person finds opportunity, the talkative person finds who to blame for the losses. 
    If the market is up, the proactive investor sells, the bla bla person find someone to blame for the "un affordability" and "unsustainable" and the "baby boomers that retire and bring it all down" and those who are left behind and will never be able to afford a home" and also "world peace", and why not the fact that the world rotates anticlockwise if you look from the north pole down…etc

Yet…nota bene…for the person with the value ingrained in his soul, "rich is bad, poor is good" this all makes a lot of sense and I am some sort of monster defending the indefensible, supporting the immoral and the corrupt.

So as you can see it all comes down to our choice of values.
    Your values either serve you or they do not. If you aspire to being on a crusade against all evil landlords or against private property in general, this are the value to have.
    If you on the other hand are or believe to be on a path to success by enterprise in RE or any other for that matter yet still cling onto those values, they will be clearly in your way.

Just my thought.

@ummester
    SHales wrote:
    Why, unmester, if you don't want to ever own any real estate other than your own PPOR are you such an active participant on a property investors forum?

Where better to fight snakes than the viper pit:) Nah – it's 'coz every few months I enjoy shooting the breeze with Harb, as he seems to with me. We are both sure that we will be proven right in the long term and it makes for interesting banter as the Mrs is watching tele and I'm waiting for something worth watching to download…

@ummester
    1Winner wrote:
    Your values either serve you or they do not. If you aspire to being on a crusade against all evil landlords or against private property in general, this are the value to have.
    If you on the other hand are or believe to be on a path to success by enterprise in RE or any other for that matter yet still cling onto those values, they will be clearly in your way.

What if you want to crusade against evil landlords from the comfort of a fairly priced home?

@harb
    ummester wrote:
    What if you want to crusade against evil landlords from the comfort of a fairly priced home?

Then you'll have to put your hand up and outbid them.
    Btw, how did the auction go ? No, don't tell me…it went for more then you expected.

@ummester

The real bidding stopped @ 5K more than expected but then the REAs somehow managed to negotiate the winning bidders up another 20k with what looked like a false bidder (didn't enter a bid until an REA whispered something into his ear) and the last 10k because the owners wouldn't sell. Not really an auction when one bidder bids against themselves for the last 30k.

Still, it was interesting to attend, if only to know I'll never buy at one.

@shales
    ummester wrote:
    SHales wrote:
    Why, unmester, if you don't want to ever own any real estate other than your own PPOR are you such an active participant on a property investors forum?

Where better to fight snakes than the viper pit:) Nah – it's 'coz every few months I enjoy shooting the breeze with Harb, as he seems to with me. We are both sure that we will be proven right in the long term and it makes for interesting banter as the Mrs is watching tele and I'm waiting for something worth watching to download…

Fair enough.  And as discussed here somewhere before, a variety of ideas makes the debate more interesting, challenges our opinions and furthers our education.

@harb
    ummester wrote:
    The real bidding stopped @ 5K more than expected but then the REAs somehow managed to negotiate the winning bidders up another 20k with what looked like a false bidder (didn't enter a bid until an REA whispered something into his ear) and the last 10k because the owners wouldn't sell. Not really an auction when one bidder bids against themselves for the last 30k.

Still, it was interesting to attend, if only to know I'll never buy at one.

Nobody forced the bidder to go that high, if he did so then he must have believed the house was worth it or really liked it. Besides its like you said in another post, in 10 years time it will make little difference that he paid a few extra $K. At least now he has secured a solid asset that can protect him from inflation if things turn nasty and gives him a much higher return then he'd get at the bank. 

@harb
    SHales wrote:

Fair enough.  And as discussed here somewhere before, a variety of ideas makes the debate more interesting, challenges our opinions and furthers our education.

And I can vouch for that. Trying to re-educate ummester and turn him into a property investor is very challenging but I haven't gave up on him yet. 

Profile photo of MasterRELMasterREL
    @masterrel
    harb wrote:
     Trying to re-educate ummester and turn him into a property investor is very challenging but I haven't gave up on him yet. 

Lol You damn property bulls almost have my wallet out. Every forum I'm on seems to be a propbull spouting the virtues of property. Low interest rates, deductions, FHOG and govt money falling from the sky. It does seem like a great time to buy. God only knows why I have such an aversion to property. But I think I will wait to the end of the year just the same.

@shales
    harb wrote:
    SHales wrote:

And I can vouch for that. Trying to re-educate ummester and turn him into a property investor is very challenging but I haven't gave up on him yet. 

I can see it would be a challenge.  I think you should attack the idea that making money is bad.  Property investors provide an important social service.  We house the low income groups.  Sure we do it at a profit – or else why would be bother.  What is wrong with that?  And speculation – there is still balance because of the risk the investor took with their funds.

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 1,123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.