All Topics / General Property / Property bust not here yet … worse to come

Viewing 20 posts - 501 through 520 (of 1,123 total)
  • Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

Quote – "Until we have politicians who encourage people to SAVE we will continue to be weak … MONEY and WEALTH is all about EQUITY it's not how many you own but how much cash you are worth …""

I agree with you but everytime we save we get charged a tax from the interest earned.  So why bother saving it in the bank.  i would rather invest it.

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Wealth I say to clients what we are experiencing is not the end of the world, it is just Darwin's theory applied to the corporate world, survival of the fittest..

and I agree. let the big boys die, cull the executive crap that got them there and reboot.

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

Shareholders unfortunately have very little say in executive renumerations.
    Have you noted that the directors allocate their salary and the CEO salary, talk about the elite bunch, these are the ones that we will be beheading at the rallies when the masses rise up, you know like the French Revolution.
    As a shareholder you get to vote for the directors ( who choose themselves and all their mates ), you can sometimes even vote on executive salary packages ( but the directors get most of the votes – since most shareholders don't vote or muck it up so they step in and vote for you ). Even if it somehow passes the directors overrule the decision anyway and give themselves a pay rise, its just not right, what is the government doing to stop this…. Nothing as they get kickbacks and money from the companies.

The world has run its course in the last few decades of spend spend spend and expand expand expand etc the logarithmic chart has hit the wall, we are in for a long and painful recession, we will all need to now start to live within our means ( and the planets ability to support us ). Lets hope its not too painful.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hi WJH,

A shareholder has very little say … 51% of shareholders have the majority of the say …

All that has to be passed is a motion that if in the following year the value of the shares is not kept up to their dividends that a % scale of monies must be paid back .,.. it's that simple.

It comes down to this … just because these CEOs are considered sophisticated don't let them intimidate you … they must be accountable.

The whole demise of the financial systems around the world is a result of greed from the top down … not to mention manipulation.

D

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Perhaps the flaws and failures of the large company structure is being exposed, once and for all, and investment will drift away from this structure.  Too much distance between control and ownership of the asset.  What about what has happened with Pacific Brands.  We study this in university, distance between control and ownership and the problems that it creates, and what can be done about it.  Pehaps shareholders need a committee of shareholders to counter the power and self interest of the board.

Seperately, I'm interested in the "farming will make money" claim a few posts back.  I've long considered buying viable farming country, in a good rainfall area, with enough altitude to escape rising seas (who knows whose right about that one), and located in an area expected to not get drier with global warming.  I have a district in mind.  The land is already very dear there, despite being a long way from a capital city.  The world is not growing enough food.  The population is expanding.  Economic collapse does not mean that people will stop eating.  The decision by government to permit the turning over of food producing land to the production of ethanol crops is shrinking our ability to grow food (but I realise the strong reasons behind their decision).  Such blocks of land can be "rented out" in the form of sharefarming. 

Perhaps we're to see the return of small business, and smaller markets as the problems of large multinational companies become evident.  As we strive to reduce our carbon footprint, shall we see a reversal of the centralisation of the economy that has taken place, and a return to smaller communities, where food is produced closer to the people that consume it? Will the strongest organisations be the ones where the organisations owner is in control of the business, able to adapt it quickly to changing market conditions, and not inclined to draw salary to the point of destabilising the business. 

And silver.  I keep hearing the push on silver.  Have done for over 12 months now.  I have a client who trades silver.  It seems that a holder of silver long term wouldn't be making that much money.  Good money in trading it as it goes up and down quite regularly, but no steady long term increase in value that you would expect to see given all the solid sounding reasons put forth for investing in silver.  Why? 

who knows, who knows.  Interesting times.  No property boom around the corner, I don't think.  Sure, it might recover a bit and rise steadily, but it is still too dear for another boom.  Gotta find another boom.  Silver?  Agriculture?  Agricultural land?  Small business? 
    S

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff

Silver has not being increasing in price because the market has been manipulated by the US Government, They have been dumping all there silver reserves on the market for decades (Billions of ounces)  You can check for yourself,  Compare silver deposits from 1945 and today,  Soon that shortfall will only result in one thing…. ^

I would not worry about the Global Warming Scam when considering if your farm land will be covered in sea one day, lol And carbon… The more the better ! More c02 = better plant growth,  Why do you think people with some hydroponic setups buy c02 canisters for there crops ?

Same with heat,  The hotter environments cause better crops !…..  Why do you think farmers plant in summer and not winter ??? rofl

It really is amazing how so many people even start to believe all this made up global warming, climate change crap… I still have not had 1 person give me a link to a scientific report that proves any of the made up theories…

And YES !,  Agriculture will have to boom in the future, Prices for agriculture are at -80% of there all time highs,  We already have food shortages NOW,  But we just have not seen the effects of it yet….  Wait until Asia starts consuming much more food with there shifting economy,  Wait until people from western country's are spending 50%+ of there wage on food

Our family has thousands of acres of farm land,  I think it would be a good investment to purchase agricultural productive land…and sliver too of course !  I think coins are better then the bars…. unless you have LOTS of money to put into silver… like hundreds of thousands…But I think for smaller investors 1 ounce coins are better,  They are small, nice looking,  are legal tender and can be easily traded unlike a 100 ounce bar, lol.  But if you where to buy the coins, Don't pay anymore then a few dollars extra an ounce then the trading price..  I have seen 1 ounce silver coins at the perth mint selling for $80+ that is just stupid.

@shales

So, when will the US Govt run out of silver?

Then, re the global warming scam:  What is definetley happening now is that the business and government community is reacting to the global warming thing.  Australia's largest carbon emitting businesses will supposedly be regulated with regards their carbon emmissions by July 2010.  The larger community is willing to pay a few extra dollars to offset the carbon on their electricity bill, or their plane fare.  Lowlying coastal land seems unappealing.  So does agricultural land that has been in drought for the last 15 years.  so, will the oceans rise and the country's rain patterns change?  Maybe.  Is the population changing its spending habits now in response to this threat?  Definetly.  That is important to consider.

Funny story about silver.   My client bought a single 1kg silver coin from a Chinese ebay trader.  Imagine his surpise when it arrived and didn't seem to be as heavy as his other 1kg coins.  He weighed it and it was about 700g.  I've seen it.  It even has "1kg" printed on it.  Chinese manufacturing….  Luckily he was able to get a refund for 1/3 of the price and keep the coin. 

@hbbehrendorff

How much silver do they have left ? Im not sure, I would have to find out… but

from my research there was 10 billion ounces of silver available in 1945,  And now there is only 1 billion ounces left,  I think shortfalls will be very noticeable within a few years,  The artificial price of silver does not make it worth mining, But at the same time it is both a precious metal and a Industrial commodity….  Look at the prices of any other metals,  How can silver with its historical monetary value and the huge demands on it stay anywhere near $20 ?

Hmmm,  Maybe when people stop watching TV, reboot there brain and wake up, They might realize that Buying carbon credits from the world bank to "stop global warming" is just a big fraud

Maybe when peoples pay packet continues to buy less and less and less,  They might start refusing to pay there global warming tax to these criminals and start Rioting ! ?

Oh wait,  Protesting is an act of "terrorism" now because of those invisible hidden boggy man terrorist's in a cave that are coming to get you that the government made up :)

@shales

Ha.  No, I don't know how it happens overseas, but in Australia, the political system gives the green vote WAY too much power.  Perhaps they should scrap preferences or something, I don't know.  Labor is only in power because of the way they pander to the demands of the greens.  The use of objective research is only too rare when it comes to forming policy.

For me, the jury is out re global warming.  I'm more interested in spending patterns, and the whole global warming thing is changing spending patterns.  As a business person, and an investor, I need to be aware of that.  Doesn't matter what balked the sheep, if there was even anything there at all.  What matters in the sheep balked.  Get me?

BTW, I've read the white paper on australia's proposed carbon scheme, and I'm aware of how it's going to work.  I don't know where you get "buying carbon credits from the world bank".  From what I've read, carbon permits will be issued by the Aust Govt, possibly by auction, and funds received will be directed towards lowering the country's carbon output.  Carbon permits will be tradeable.  Just seems like a good thing to be aware of, really.  Here is a new paperbased asset.  Most of the carbon trading going on in Australia today is unregulated.  This will change.  I've read no mention of Australia having to buy their carbon permits from the world bank.  Perhaps the world bank is carrying on some sort of trading of carbon credits between parties?  Not sure how that will work between different countries, as carbon accounting regulations differ remarkably between countries, meaning that a practices which yields a carbon credit in one country, could yield a carbon debit in another, due to the different accounting practices, and differing validity of various inclusions.

@hbbehrendorff
    @shales

OK, interesting.  I wonder how this overlaps domestic policy.  Does Australia have such an agreement with the World Bank? 

@hbbehrendorff

David Rockefeller's "NWO" as he and his minions like to phrase it needed something other then the general   "Witches, Gypsies, Commies, Boggy man Terrorist" Scape Goat to get the people to back there agenda,  So they gathered scientists and can up with Environmentalism and the "humans are bad" concept where everyone pays a world tax to save the plannet against the main ingredient to Photosynthesis…

Then comes world government which is very much needed to save us all before we die from c02

Then once that is in place the 1 child policy's and mass Eugenics programs that exist in China and other african countries will start,  Man made epidemics will be released to massivley scale back population to 500 million aparently,  Leaving a fedulistic world government where 1% live in a resource and technology rich narvada and the rest are microchiped work slaves.

They even release constant soft core new's articles to subconciously get people used to the idea,  Even though they are told a false story… like this one

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25114359-5009760,00.html

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/april2006/030406massculling.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2508641.htm

http://www.theage.com.au/national/population-explosion-heralds-disaster-20090305-8q3c.html

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76
    hbbehrendorff wrote:
    David Rockefeller's "NWO" as he and his minions like to phrase it needed something other then the general   "Witches, Gypsies, Commies, Boggy man Terrorist" Scape Goat to get the people to back there agenda,  So they gathered scientists and can up with Environmentalism and the "humans are bad" concept where everyone pays a world tax to save the plannet against the main ingredient to Photosynthesis…

Then comes world government which is very much needed to save us all before we die from c02

Then once that is in place the 1 child policy's and mass Eugenics programs that exist in China and other african countries will start,  Man made epidemics will be released to massivley scale back population to 500 million aparently,  Leaving a fedulistic world government where 1% live in a resource and technology rich narvada and the rest are microchiped work slaves.

They even release constant soft core new's articles to subconciously get people used to the idea,  Even though they are told a false story… like this one

http://www.theage.com.au/national/population-explosion-heralds-disaster-20090305-8q3c.html

This sounds like a really good idea. When will this start. Lets get things moving.

@shales
    hbbehrendorff wrote:

Mmmmm 6.59pm, hey, someone started the funny pills early on this bright Friday night, didn't they. 
    Come off it dorff – can I call you dorff, I'm sick of trying to get the spelling right.

Being a Christian, I have my own beliefs about the end of the world, too, but I won't preach them here as fact for others.  They are my private beliefs.
    S

@hbbehrendorff

That is going off on a tangent, lol 

Can you explain in a PM please ? check your inbox.

@gmh454

Some very good points there about the distance now between wealth and control.

I like to call our problem the triumvirate of terror"/turmoil or anything better that rhymes with "T"

CEO

Fund Manager                                                                                                              Auditor

It goes like this.

If the Fund Manager backs the CEO, then the CEO uses whatever accounting methods that will give the highest profit,  thereby increasing the fund value and guaranteeing the fund managers bonus. All  they have to do is get the auditor to see it their way, by paying him 2 or 3 times what the job is worth.

All three have to play along and all three are very highly rewarded although the fund manager with bonus's make most CEO payouts look lame.

We all own these companies thru our funds but we don't know which shares our funds own, our how they vote, or how much we pay our clowns to loose money.

Gotta change.

@shales

Basically the same thing happens at any point where executive salary is linked to performance, not only in the fund.   Accounting figures are so manipulated they are hardly worth looking at.  What else can you do though?  If you have to have people who do not own the firm running it, then you have to renumerate them in line with their performance, or they don't have the incentive to keep the firm performing well.  The moment you link their renumeration to their performance they will do what they can to make their performance look better.  It is a vicious circle.  Linking renumeration to share price is little different, they will still sway the numbers to bouy share price.  They may even adopt short term profit / long term non profit practices in order to get the most money in their pocket now, rather than builidng the future wealth of the firm.  I don't know how it can be fixed, but I am sure that fixing this would go a long way to restoring investor confidence.
    S

Profile photo of jparry1jparry1
    @jparry1
    gmh454 wrote:
    jparry1 wrote:

Basically, as far as what and when things are going to happen nobody has a clue. Everyone is just guessing, even the so called "experts".  I can search the net and read at last 10 different conflicting predictions from an expert on a daily basis.  Anyone who watches and believes any thing the media are predicting is just as silly as they are.

Actually lots ands lots of people called this, quite a few on this site.

Sure a lot of people predicted it, but hey it didn't take rocket science.  Nobody really cares who did or did not predict it.  What I was trying to say is if your income is secure, what is stopping you from investing now compared to any other time?

@gmh454
    jparry1 wrote:
    Sure a lot of people predicted it, but hey it didn't take rocket science.  Nobody really cares who did or did not predict it.  What I was trying to say is if your income is secure, what is stopping you from investing now compared to any other time?

return is based on risk.

If I can get "X" with no risk and no effort, and no stress, what level of return would I except for increased risk and effort.

if you are happy with your expected return for the risk go for it, why I am not hurrying, is because I perceive the market to be falling.

Why pay $1,000,000 for a house I hope to buy for say $800,000 later, at a time much closer to the upturn in the curve,

There is a percetion that you must be out there actively investing, moving from shares to property to precious metals, collectibles
    but some beleive there is a time to watch the carnage and have a break before the next cycle.

oh yeah and I do care who called it, …..cause for four years we put up with so much crap about "this time it is different", don't want a pound of fleash but don't take away my fun..

my favourite was the member who asked how to invest in property, build a portfolio, while on centrelink…and she got advice from someone who had done it..  great days indeed..

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

gmh454

I'm with you 100%.

I haven't purchased for about 4 years now, have been paying down debt and patiently waiting for the prices to fall, and they are now into the fall ( admittedly FHOG is holding up low value houses at the moment , but it will pass ).

As you point out why invest now and get 5% return, if you wait a little longer and prices fall a little its now 6% etc etc. For the last 4 years it hasn't been worth buying ( besides maybe Perth or mining areas ). With shares still falling everyone now has to save more and more into superannuation to try and catch up, then there is the unfortunate who are loosing their jobs, everyone is getting bombarded with doom and gloom, house prices falling etc…   If you can just sit tight and wait and with some luck we will see the bottom and then buy buy buy and retire.

Viewing 20 posts - 501 through 520 (of 1,123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.