All Topics / General Property / Property bust not here yet … worse to come

Viewing 20 posts - 521 through 540 (of 1,123 total)
  • Profile photo of SambosaSambosa
    @sambosa

Hi all,

I just thought i'd comment on the original topic of this conversation, which was created in 2006, and here we are in 2009.

Funny to see how mining shares were the hot thing to be tipping then, and how true alot of the comments have turned out to be.

Lets see what the next three years bring!

Who's keen to put a prediction in????

Cheers

Sambo

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon
    Sambosa wrote:
    Hi all,

Who's keen to put a prediction in????

I predict this thread will still be running.

Profile photo of jparry1jparry1
    @jparry1

Predicting the downturn was a no brainer.  Lets see who is game to predict (guess) accurately what is going to happen in the next 12-24 months. 

I'm surely not going to, so it is business as usual for me (buy and hold).  I plan to continue to build assets now and when the market starts to recover.

Cheers,
    JP.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hi JP and nothing wrong with your idea and opinion as well.

My prediction based on the facts to date is;

Market will improve up until July then deteriorate badly after August … best time to buy property will be 2010 – 2012

We are buying and building new homes now on the North Shore in Pymble, Warrawee, ans Turramurra all flat lots over 900 m/2 walk to bus and rail.

This is when the smart people make money so yes keep investing in quality and not quanity we will possibly go to Steves weekend it's very cheap and one idea can make money.
    D

@jparry1
    wealth4life.com wrote:
    My prediction based on the facts to date is;

Market will improve up until July then deteriorate badly after August … best time to buy property will be 2010 – 2012

You are very brave, I admire that

@jparry1
    wealth4life.com wrote:

This is when the smart people make money so yes keep investing in quality and not quanity we will possibly go to Steves weekend it's very cheap and one idea can make money.
    D

This exactly what I was trying to say.  Thanks very much for the advice.

Cheers,
    JP

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Hi, Wealth4life

Why do you say that the market will improve to July before taking a dive in August?

Another round of bad news from big business? End of the increased FHBG?

Regards
    Daniel

@wealth4life.com

Hi Danielle,

Based on global information … that's what I do … collect data … I predict also the FHBG will be extended because the government knows that if they stop that the housing industry in Australia will collapse … Second reason is false interpretation of financial news by unsophisticated people … ask yourself this why are rich people selling at the moment????

D

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

I keep hearing this "rich people are selling…" claim.  Can you tell me what substantiates it as fact?  What are they selling?  Is there really a conclusive movement to sell amongst the most well off people?  Or are just some of them selling?  Are some buying?  What are they buying?  

See, I see rich peoples real estate on the market (ie top end housing and holiday homes), and I can put forward a couple of solid possible reasons for them to sell, despite any dire prediction for the RE market:

1:  Lending secured via the sharemarket.  Falls in their equity level might trigger a sell in order to improve the debt:equity ratio.  This may be voluntary or it may not.
    2: Lower profits = less reason for tax deductible negatively geared investments like holiday homes, rural retreats and other tax dodges.  No need for a tax dodge if you're running a loss, hey?  Especially when consensus is that capital growth will return slowly, no ones expecting a RE rush or anything when the economy returns to stability.  Housing is still too unaffordable to accomodate much growth in RE value without any growth in wages. (inflation…..).
    3: Well aknowledged economic principles that during times of down turn, elite products etc suffer more than bread and butter products.  IE Rich people probably don't just own their flash houses, but might also have a portfolio of base level renters.  They know they'll cop a greater cap loss at the top end of the market, so they sell that now to mitigate losses.

So my question is, how do you know rich people are selling now, what are they selling and what is there to suggest that this is proactive strategy rather than reactive damage control that any of us are capable of?
    S

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

To me rich people is a very loose term. Rich in what,wages,assets, equity etc.  I believe many that should be considered rich are being forced to sell due to living outside there means during good times and having little or no buffer. They are anything but rich.  I also see many true rich people taking advantage of these times by selling off underperforming assets and preparing to buy better options. The above could both be described as rich but both are very different. then there are the not so rich preparing to take advantage of the deals ahead. they will earn there rich wings in years to come.

@shales

I absolutely agree, Devo76.  I also dispute that having wealth over a certain threshold qualifies a person as an expert judge of the economy, or even as an expert at acquiring wealth.  There is that old saying about wealth and dynasty.  One generation builds wealth, the next holds onto it and the third blows the lot.  Just because someone is "Rich" doesn't necessarily, on its own mean they are worth listening to or following.

@wealth4life.com

Thank god for forums …

Yes how long is a piece of string?

Rich = not having to go to work each day and do the things you want to do.

I can get a beautiful meal at the local bowling club feed my hubby and the girls plus a bottle of plonk for under $55.00 (4 people) or I can go to the ANA Hotel and eat in the japanese restaurant plus wine for around $1,000.00

Rich is all about choice and perception, do you wear $1,000.00 high heels shoes or $10.00 flip flaps … who really cares it's your choice and 100 years from now no one will remember …

Advise = show me your bank account then I'll listen to you … walk a mile in my mockersons … are you a talker or a walker … where did you come from …

Every person who comes to this web site is looking for answers to building wealth and making money that is why it is called an "investing" site and attracts 60,000 members (not sure how many are active though)

Nett assets = how rich we are thats after we pay every body back what we owe them … why are sooooo many people and BIG companies going broke today = they have no NETT worth.

D

@shales
    wealth4life.com wrote:
    Thank god for forums …

Yes how long is a piece of string?

Rich = not having to go to work each day and do the things you want to do.

I can get a beautiful meal at the local bowling club feed my hubby and the girls plus a bottle of plonk for under $55.00 (4 people) or I can go to the ANA Hotel and eat in the japanese restaurant plus wine for around $1,000.00

Rich is all about choice and perception, do you wear $1,000.00 high heels shoes or $10.00 flip flaps … who really cares it's your choice and 100 years from now no one will remember …

Advise = show me your bank account then I'll listen to you … walk a mile in my mockersons … are you a talker or a walker … where did you come from …

Every person who comes to this web site is looking for answers to building wealth and making money that is why it is called an "investing" site and attracts 60,000 members (not sure how many are active though)

Nett assets = how rich we are thats after we pay every body back what we owe them … why are sooooo many people and BIG companies going broke today = they have no NETT worth.

D

I'm not really sure if this is directed at me.  It doesn't seem to address my question.  How do you know "rich" people are selling things, what are they selling, and what is there to suggest that they are selling as a part of a proactive plan, rather than just reacting to current market conditions?  I also made the point that net worth, or bank account, or any monetary measure of wealth does not necessarily measure a person's capability to make good financial decisions. If they built wealth themselves, then I'd like to know what they are doing and why.  If their family handed them a fortune, which they are in the processes of disintegrating, then I'll give their take on things a miss.  If their family handed them a fortune, which they have tripled, then I'd like to know what their thoughts are too.
    S

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Regarding our deep pocket friends, yep many are have to sell assets to fix their balance sheets, also nothing will bring you marriage woes more than finding out that a unpaid AMEX bounces.

Are these people smart, finacially sophisticated. Well two years ago many thought they were, however in hindight, those who could'nt see this coming often made some real DUMB mistakes. About 18 mths ago one of my clients (not overstretched) said a colleage in one of the top banks had lost $6m when the market tanked and his share loan facility basically wiped out his $6m home.  Another ex JP Morgan boy said (he was let go – but made a one offdeal of $300k that will get him through the year -not bad for few phone calls), that he was having lots of coffee meetings with young Macquaries bank staff who were using all their funds to meet the margin calls on their precious Mac bank shares.

He also said months ago that there is lots of stuff for sale n Mosman but very little listed, – they don't want the rabble to think it is a fire sale…

@gmh454
    jparry1 wrote:
    Predicting the downturn was a no brainer.  Lets see who is game to predict (guess) accurately what is going to happen in the next 12-24 months. 

I'm surely not going to ………

Cheers,
    JP.

well actually it is no more difficult than 2005, a no brainer actually.

lets see, a kabillion (trilion is too small and …well..a  zillion was what we used in infants, so can't go backwards can we) of liquidity has been lost out of the world markets.

Right now every bank, government major company is issuing new shares and raising funds, (been going on for a while – this is a game in which no one wants to be last cab in the rank) only problem is there will not be enough to go round. Recently in Germany they had two large raisings that could not be fully met. Now Germany is thought to be best off among the major Euro players, so it is concerning when they find the cupboard bare.

If there is not enough money to go round, then what will the boys do.

They have two choices.

1. raise rates to try to compete aggresively for the few Kabilion circulating,  raising rates will slow the recovery so we are in for a long hard grind (plenty of time to take on new values and find other ways to enjoy life)

2. print more money – now this usually leads to inflation and other trading partners need to make an adjustment otherwise one country could print enough money to buy up all the assets with it 's trade partners, so the trade partners will sell the currency down
    – if they sell the currency down, you can print more money (see Zimbabwee) or you can raise your rates to counter the sell down.

one of the buffers to this in the past decade was the huge crossinvestment round the world. As the drop in our currency has shown a huge amount of these funds has been repatriated, in the first few months of the crunch.

So what am I predicting  – a long slow recovery, with increased rates significantly impacting on the hoped for quick recovery.

Now I could be wrong, as I don't know all the pieces to the puzzle, including when will China actually pursue economic reform so that the people paid $1 an hour can actually buy the things it produces and sells to the west. If that happened we might get out of this faster, but hey that may mean the new Madarins have to drive Mercs instead of Bentleys so I am betting that will not happen.

@gmh454
    gmh454 wrote:

Regarding our deep pocket friends, yep many are having to sell assets to fix their balance sheets, also nothing will bring you marriage woes more than finding out that an unpaid AMEX bounces.

Are these people smart, financially sophisticated. Well two years ago many thought they were, however in hindsight, those who could'nt see this coming often made some real DUMB mistakes. About 18 mths ago one of my clients (not overstretched) said a colleage in one of the top banks had lost $6m when the market tanked and his share loan facility basically wiped out his $6m home.  Another ex JP Morgan boy said (he was let go – but made a one off deal of $300k that will get him through the year -not bad for few phone calls), that he was having lots of coffee meetings with young Macquarie bank staff who were using all their funds to meet the margin calls on their precious Mac bank shares.

He also said months ago that there is lots of stuff for sale in Mosman but very little listed, – they don't want the rabble to think it is a fire sale…

this time, with an attempt to fix my spellling and gramma….

@wealth4life.com

Sorry S not intended at all towards you or anybody

How do I know because I read what is happening and who is going to the wall …

This correction will take down some big people … does Rich = smart only if they hold onto it.

Take Billabong Perrin was worth 150 million dollars 12 months ago now he is going broke and will have negative 50 million dollars ???

Sorry to be short just very busy at the moment …

D

Profile photo of simplesimple
    Participant
    @simple

Some one from Austrade told me once:
    Wealthy is when your expenses match profits; Rich is when profits exceed expenses. Anything else is a scale up or down.

Talking about where we heading, well how many people have idea of now much construction / infrastructure been going up in the middle east? Dubai alone been building more than whole Australia by many folds. Now all those guys just come to stall 6 months back. You better hold on to something when shock wave will make it thru the world financial system. It appers to take about 12 months, so  "D" may be right about outlook of the end of 2009.

Another one is China, slowing down now and if to come to halt will be a major issue.

My balanced outlook, not worse case scenario is that we will cope more pain for 12-24 months before we will bottom out for a llong time. People simply spent "future" money by means of borrowing, now economy needs time to catch up…

V.

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

who is billabong Perin?

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

I find some of the comments amusing.
    There is an innuendo that "rich" people are somehow stupid for selling presumably at a loss having bought at premium price.. When that may be so in some cases, this is not exclusive of the (stupid) rich. Thousands upon thousands of (smart?) poor are selling below the cost at a loss. …..And many that sell, rich or poor today are doing so at a profit of sort, to upgrade in a buyers market.
    For the last 3 years I come across thread after thread in this forum that reflect some form of attitude against those who presumably more stupid than us, have made their fortune allgedly by chance, inheritance or dishonesty (see comment about palm beach holiday house and Mosman and bonuses) And I say this comments are amusing because whoever is into investing is in it to make money, the more the merrier. If you hate those who have made the money and are straining the gnat of their actions to highlight their shortcomings, you will never make it rich ever, and mediocrity is your glass ceiling.

My opinion of course.

Viewing 20 posts - 521 through 540 (of 1,123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.