All Topics / General Property / Property bust not here yet … worse to come

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 781 through 800 (of 1,123 total)
  • Profile photo of Johnny1974Johnny1974
    @johnny1974
    fWord wrote:
    emptyvessel wrote:
    Johnny1974 wrote:
    Hi all Just my thoughts…… I to agree the world financially is pretty toxic at the moment and has been since 2006. Seems everyone, every sector, in every country is being hit hard. The only shining light is the worldwide mining industry. We have strategically sold down our portfolio of six properties to two since 2006. Taken the profits and walked away :) We now have no debt, work less, have less stress. Hard work and property gains have enabled us to do this. For now I will keep all that cash fixed at 7% in the bank, don't have to worry about tenants, rates, insurance, repairs and the possible removal of negative gearing tax breaks. Maybe its time we all looked at other avenues to invest?

Nice, well done. I would love to have that much cash. I am guessing inflation doesn't factor much into your strategy for now?
    Strongly suggest you do look at those other avenues. I have been doing them for years and haven't done quite as well as you have with property. That said, made much more than I lost, which is doing pretty good.

To a certain extent, this demonstrates people in different stages of their 'investment career'. In one of Michael Yardney's books, it talks about these 'stages'. In an investor's early life they are in the process of 'acquisition', growing their portfolio, while towards the end they put their portfolios through a stage of 'consolidation', selling down to take profits or otherwise convert a 'capital growth' portfolio into one of massive positive cashflow.

So obviously neither is the right or wrong choice. It depends on where each individual is in their 'investment career'. With that in mind, I am personally in the stage of acquisition, but when ready to retire, I will similarly perform consolidation. Of course, depending on your outlook for a particular investment, you could go against the grain of your own plan, temporarily at least, to realise greater fortunes.

Truth is, everyone wants the money without the associated stress of ANY form of investment. But you've got to start somewhere and it often means doing the hard yards first and enjoy the fruits of your labour later.

Couldn’t agree more fWord. We all get into investing to make money. At the ripe old age of 37, I opted out of the rat race for a simpler life. Have done the hard yards, achieved what I set out to achieve.

All I can say is…life is short, work hard, play hard, enjoy!! And don’t stress too much, its only money and you can’t take it with you when your’e dead.

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    Johnny1974 wrote:
    …its only money and you can't take it with you when your'e dead.

On that note however, some have humorously noted that the only thing worse than death itself is being broke before death. Ultimately it may be better to have the riches, even if you can't take it with you.

We're interpreting all this in the absence of religion of course.

Profile photo of MikeLewisMikeLewis
    @mikelewis

I firmly believe that interest rates will continue to rise over the next few years, and I also believe that even at current levels they are causing considerable hardship. Any rise in IRs lowers the affordability and borrowing capacity – this in itself is enough to cap prices at best, and likely cause further declines in prices in already depressed areas. Unfortunately reigning in the growth states thru higher interest rates will punish the slower states but it may be a reality the way things are going. Interesting times, as they all are. It's different this time, just as every new day is. Thanks for sharing..

Profile photo of realestateedurealestateedu
    @realestateedu

Great and very long thread … so where are we now with the down grade to AA+ … bright future or challenges ahead??

Profile photo of simplesimple
    Participant
    @simple

Buckle up, next 3 years will be bumpy. This of coarse depends on the road your property is traveling.

I would dare to speculate that if we will have another 2008 style sell off in shares, AU will end up with plummeting RE values 12 months later on.

@realestateedu

I'd hate to be a banker in this market … what about a valuer ??

Participant
    @simple

You would want to work as property repossession officer… plenty of work even now in Brisbane…

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

I think you will find that property repossessions are relatively low compared to other developed nations around the world, and by no means high compared to historical levels in Australia. No need to hit the panic button.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of KeyStrategiesKeyStrategies
    @keystrategies
    Johnny1974 wrote:
    Hi all Just my thoughts…… I to agree the world financially is pretty toxic at the moment and has been since 2006. Seems everyone, every sector, in every country is being hit hard. The only shining light is the worldwide mining industry. We have strategically sold down our portfolio of six properties to two since 2006. Taken the profits and walked away :) We now have no debt, work less, have less stress. Hard work and property gains have enabled us to do this. For now I will keep all that cash fixed at 7% in the bank, don't have to worry about tenants, rates, insurance, repairs and the possible removal of negative gearing tax breaks. Maybe its time we all looked at other avenues to invest?

I have to agree with Johnny and the comments down the thread – I too have strategically consolidated my position in the last 18 months or so – down from 11 IP's back to 5 – paid down debt and increased equity to just 50% LVR and now very cashflow positive.  Less stress and less hassle in my life is a much better Strategy – Sometimes "less is more" in my case more time and more money to enjoy myself instead of just feeding the bloodsucking banks.

As to where to from here – look for the opportunities that will be springing up – There is a resources boom – So take advantage while you can and make hay while the sun shines

cheers

Participant
    @simple
    luke86 wrote:
    I think you will find that property repossessions are relatively low compared to other developed nations around the world, and by no means high compared to historical levels in Australia. No need to hit the panic button.

Cheers,
    Luke

Agree, my post reads like a bit of over reaction.
    This is probably a result of been frustrated with  people out there keep throwing 'property double in value every 7 years' staff :)
    There are many houses for sale now, a lot more than 2 years ago, but not to many sold by banks as pepos.
    I think in 3-4 years from now it actually may be a best time to buy, if you got a job and deposit that is :)

Participant
    @fword
    simple wrote:
    This is probably a result of been frustrated with  people out there keep throwing 'property double in value every 7 years' staff :)

That statement is indeed a sweeping generalization. Looking at historical house prices, the median value of some suburbs has more than doubled in that period, while others have yet to double.

@realestateedu

In the old days the best investments were within 7km from the CBD of any city.

Peter Spann was a huge advocate of this and he was one of the first property gurus b4 Steve and Dave 0 – 130

As Kiyosaki says it is all about cash flow … growth is a bonus but cash flow is king.

Always remember the rule of 72

4 me I would always trust a one bedroom unit within 7km than in a mining town … IMHO

At the end of the day it is what you have when u r 65 … as Packer used to say … you never count your cards till the dealing is done

Participant
    @fword
    realestateedu wrote:

4 me I would always trust a one bedroom unit within 7km than in a mining town … IMHO

A 1-bedroom UNIT, yes. A 1-bedroom APARTMENT, probably not. This is not a comparison with mining town properties because personally, I know nothing about those. However there is a very real threat of oversupply of 1-bedroom apartments in some inner city suburbs.

Profile photo of GiumelliGroupGiumelliGroup
    @giumelligroup

A very good statement sent to me today about what is going on around the world!

"The only person who can assure you of health, wealth and happiness is – yourself! Altitude is determined by attitude. If you choose to listen to, take on and acknowledge all the negative stories and events that are thrown at you every day, then what will your waking attitude and outlook be – negative, of course."

Follow what's positive now and reap the rewards even if it is only for a short period of time – 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing…

Participant
    @simple
    AIF QLD wrote:
    A very good statement sent to me today about what is going on around the world!

"The only person who can assure you of health, wealth and happiness is – yourself! Altitude is determined by attitude. If you choose to listen to, take on and acknowledge all the negative stories and events that are thrown at you every day, then what will your waking attitude and outlook be – negative, of course."

Follow what's positive now and reap the rewards even if it is only for a short period of time – 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing…

Been negative about real estate does not mean been negative generally. Say returns on physical Silver over last 52 weeks been 90% :)

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    simple wrote:
    Been negative about real estate does not mean been negative generally. Say returns on physical Silver over last 52 weeks been 90% :)

I would go as far to say that being negative about RE is being positive about Austrlaia's (long term) economic growth.

Participant
    @simple

^^
    +1, for Australia to become affordable to general mass of Australians (bottom 70%) real estate prices have to half from what they are. Or wages need to double. Anyone see wages doubling next 5 years and property pricing remain the same? That would be 20% inflation.

@realestateedu

I really think it comes back to the times earning ratio ???

In the 80s a house cost 3/4 times earnings today it is 8/10 times earnings.

Forget about all the ratios and all the history and all the what ever … it is not rocket science here … it is basic maths

Steve and Dave started this site on mathamitics … investment is mathematics … ROI … the return you are getting 3% – 6% – 10% will determine how rich and how how fast you become … end of story

IMHO

Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs Kerry Packer etc What and where you buy matters not … good luck bad luck … growth is luck … what is your return is the magic formula

If I gave you a choice of investing in ANZ at 6% and Westpac at 10% where would you put your money …

Participant
    @simple

Thinking out loud on ROI in Brisbane, Townhouse in Wynnum. Assuming cash purchase:
    Value $350K
    Rent $400
    ROI: 6% (less agent fees, rates, body corporate fees, depreciation, down time), be actually close to 3%

Trouble free deposit in the bank (say Ubank) is 6.51%
    Buy some Silver: 80% last 12 months
    Buy some Gold: 20% last 12 months

Give you an idea where is the next up-cycle have started…

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff
    simple wrote:
    Thinking out loud on ROI in Brisbane, Townhouse in Wynnum. Assuming cash purchase:
    Value $350K
    Rent $400
    ROI: 6% (less agent fees, rates, body corporate fees, depreciation, down time), be actually close to 3%

Trouble free deposit in the bank (say Ubank) is 6.51%
    Buy some Silver: 80% last 12 months
    Buy some Gold: 20% last 12 months

Give you an idea where is the next up-cycle have started…

Yes, my silver has given me great returns… I just wish I had stacked the boat 10 years ago when you could get the stuff for 4 bucko's an ounce

I was only making $10/hr hour back then, Though I could have bought 2.5 ounces for every hour of work I done.

Now I earn $40/hr and I can only purchase a bit over 1 ounce for an hours work.

You could have easily secured yourself a 10% dividend with Telstra shares earlier this year, I think they where trading @ less then $2.70 at some point, What a bargain.

Viewing 20 posts - 781 through 800 (of 1,123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.