All Topics / General Property / Property bust not here yet … worse to come

Viewing 20 posts - 721 through 740 (of 1,123 total)
  • Profile photo of simplesimple
    Participant
    @simple

A SENIOR Treasury official has sounded the alarm over Australia's property market.

He has warned that the prospect of a sudden and dramatic drop in prices is "the elephant in the room" and should not be ignored by the federal government.

http://www.unconventionaleconomist.com/2010/11/australian-treasury-calls-housing.html

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

OECD is no longer a gold standard
    We are looking into the new era of world economy i.e. ASIA countries

Please compare the house prices with
    Shanghai
    Beijing
    Hongkong
    Singapore
    Kuala Lumpur
    Jakarta
    Mombay
    New Delhi

These are new OECD countries in the future

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    EPI_Den wrote:

There will always be those who say that the crash is around the corner and you can always find a reason NOT to invest. How long are we all gonna wait?

Absolutely. Property always looks cheap when we take a retrospective glance, and people who are willing to take the plunge and ride the wave will probably do better than those looking for a crash and trying to pick up deals at the absolute bottom of the market.  I mean, how many of us have looked at past sale prices and gone, 'Geez, wish I could get a deal like that now.' I'm sure lots of us have done that.

There's an older lady at my workplace who lives in Hawthorn VIC. Back in the day when she bought her house, the properties on her street were around the $350K mark. And she says, back then, nearly everyone could afford a $350K house. In fact, some of her neighbours were regretting that they didn't put more money down and buy two such houses! Now, the property is worth in excess of $1.2mil…maybe even $1.6mil.

If only we could still apply the same saying now…'Nearly everyone could afford a $1.2mil house in 2010.' Doesn't sound right isn't it? Ha, I wish I could afford a $600K house in today's money!

I'm going to buy nevertheless, and if the market does crash, so be it. As they say, time mends most wounds. And if it doesn't, you bought in the wrong place anyway.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

There are still houses for around the $350 mark, they are just in another suburb. This is the problem with supply and demand. Less supply in nice suburbs and more demand because of infrastructure etc means price goes up.

Expectations need to change. A lot of these ring suburbs were considered nasty areas 10 years ago, think about what suburbs will have been the nasty suburbs now and in 10 years will be desirable suburbs.

Better planning through some councils will mean improvements in some areas and suburbs, I'd be looking for those councils, the ones who are proactive in making a change and attracting money/jobs/etc.

Call me when the bubble pops…….

I'm not going to hold my breath I have better things to do.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of davemartindavemartin
    @davemartin

the crash has been supposedly happening since I can remember and property keeps going up and up and up…

Profile photo of EPI_DenEPI_Den
    @epi_den

thanks fWord!
    I do agree that the market is softening and it's more important than anytime in the last 10 or so years to do your due diligence! That doesn't mean to jump off the idea of investing in property. (Notice that people are wary of the stock market too?)
    It's all about managing your risks and being aware of what risks you are prepared to take. Remember, most of us (if not all) are investing for security and so that we can sleep at night – don't make decisions that will rob you of your sleep, but at the same time don't be one of those who wishes they bought whenever…
    Get educated, be prepared to spend some time, and then when you find the right place, act!
    Good luck<br /:)” title=”>:)” class=”bbcode_smiley” />

Profile photo of nicolas_bnicolas_b
    @nicolas_b

"is there a difference between rich and super rich … is our rich middle class as we know them and supper rich another level we never talk about? … super rich pay 20 million for a penthouse and don't care if it value drops here and there ??? … who are poor people and what level is poor?"

The "super rich" people I know do not invest in property, they invest in people and businesses.

Everything is Relative. If you spend $20m from your savings on an apartment, then yes you do not really care what happens to the price of the property. Remember you do not spend $20m on an apartment thinking you will make money. It is an 'emotional'  decision, a lifestyle choice, a decision to make your wife happy. Think about it.

Remember most "super rich" people are not "super rich" from property investing, granted there are some developers and one possibly two real estate agents, they are "super rich" from having successful businesses.  

You have to take into account the level of indebtedness someone carries to work out if someone is poor. How long could you survive at your accustomed standard of living if you lost your job? If you could sick? If your partner got sick? You lost your business etc… If you answer less than 6 months, then I think you are poor.

Profile photo of grimnargrimnar
    Participant
    @grimnar

Oh… I am poor : (

Wait… I already knew that… THANKS FOR REMINDING ME Nicolas!!!

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    nicolas_b wrote:
    How long could you survive at your accustomed standard of living if you lost your job? If you could sick? If your partner got sick? You lost your business etc… If you answer less than 6 months, then I think you are poor.

Oh, woe is me. All of the time I think that without my parents, I would never be able to survive. On the occasions that I do ponder what would have happened if I were living alone and paying rent, I shudder in fear knowing that the little that I currently have shouldn't even exist.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same for many of the Gen Y/ Gen Z folk. Frequently we get told to get off our arses and work. Well, we do. We have modern conveniences, but we also have modern problems.

Profile photo of simplesimple
    Participant
    @simple
    Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester

what nicholas_b is trying to say, I think, is that debt is not wealth. It is only because of faith in every increasing capital gains with housing assets down under that people have began to believe that it is – 'equity maaate'.

50k in the bank is a more tangible asset than 50k in equity. It is only if you believe Australian house values are going to rise faster than IRs forever and a day that the 50k should be used on housing. Unfortunately, that is what many Australian's have come to expect.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

To my way of thinking debt raising is quite often the start of wealth creation.

Profile photo of cuteyoungchiccuteyoungchic
    Participant
    @cuteyoungchic

I'm with you on that one bardon.
    Debt (if you handle it astutely), makes money.    Sitting on your hands doesn't.
    I detested secondary school (boarding school) & so did very poorly with secondary education, but decided the day I left there that for me to get ahead, I'd just have to work long hours, end of story.
    And that's what I've done ever since, worked full-time, as well as a part-time job (while others are sitting in their comfort zones in front of their TV every night), & occasionally I've had 2 part-time jobs.
    I've built myself up to currently owning 2 houses, I have no debt, & am about to commence having 2 units built behind one of them.
    Being female, debt doesn't sit very well with me, so I pay off a mortgage much faster than is necessary (which makes the cost of the loan much less) and that then leaves me free to go get another debt  :)      My comfort zone's slowly getting used to it.  
    We don't have to be wealthy to invest, but we sure need to invest to become wealthy! 

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon
    cuteyoungchic wrote:

I&#39  My comfort zone's slowly getting used to it.  
    We don't have to be wealthy to invest, but we sure need to invest to become wealthy! 

Good for you cuteyoungchic, I have came full circle on this debt thing and my view now is that you should get yourself into as much mortgage debt as you safely can as early as you can and never ever pay it back.

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

This discussion Was posted 5 years ago….worse to come…?????

Profile photo of simplesimple
    Participant
    @simple

WOW, only took us 5 years!!! Post started 2006 and it's finally oficial. I gues if you wait long enogh thinks will come to you.
    RP DATA
    Full Read

Earlier this month, the Western Australian (WA) Chamber of Commerce noted that the WA economy had fallen into technical recession, experiencing two successive quarters of negative economic growth in the last six months of 2010: 

Western Australia is generally regarded as Australia’s economic engine room with its booming resources sector, but its manufacturing and retail sectors are struggling.

The WA Chamber of Commerce says the state’s economy experienced a technical recession in the last six months of last year.

“The state of Western Australia very much mirrors the broader national economy in that there is very much a two-speed economy at play,” said John Nicolaou, the chamber’s chief economist.

“You have the resources sector and anything connected to that sector that’s performing very strongly.

“Against that you have other sectors in the domestic economy, particularly those consumer facing sectors which are struggling.”

The chamber has looked at state economic growth figures in the latest national accounts data from the Bureau of Statistics, released early in March.

John Nicolaou says the figures show that WA went into a technical recession in the last half of 2010, with two quarters of negative growth.

Now The West Australian newspaper has reported that thousands of WA homeowners that purchased at the top of the market in late 2007 and early 2008 are in “negative equity”.

Tens of thousands of Perth homeowners who bought property at the top of the boom before the global financial crisis are facing big losses as the market goes through its worst period in almost two decades.

Special analysis of median house and land prices across the city reveals that people who bought at the peak of the market in late 2007 and early 2008 hoping to see their investment grow now hold “negative equity”.

Once inflation is taken into account, a person who bought a median-priced block of land in Perth three years ago is at least $48,000 worse off, while someone who bought a median-priced house is down by almost $25,000.

The median price of a house sold in Perth grew 162 per cent between early 2002 and the end of 2010, while the median price of a residential block of land rose 182 per cent.

But all that growth was up to the peak of the market in late 2007.

Since then, the median price of a house has lifted just 3.2 per cent to $480,000, while for land it has fallen 9.4 per cent to $240,000.

However, this does not take into account movements in the inflation rate.

Between 2007 and 2010, overall prices in Perth have risen 8.7 per cent.

If house prices had kept pace with inflation, the median price would now be $505,000.

For someone who borrowed all the value of a median-priced home in Perth, that translates into a loss so far of $25,000 coupled with interest repayments of $75,000 over the past three years.

It is worse for people who have bought land.

If residential land had kept pace with inflation, an average block in Perth would now cost $288,000. That translates into a loss of $48,000, given the current median price.

It’s the worst performance by the Perth market over three years since the early 1990s when median house prices fell.

To be fair, The West Australian article is a little misleading, since it claims that thousands of WA home owners are in negative equity, whilst at the same time noting that home prices have in fact risen 3.2% since 2007 (see below RBA chart). For negative equity to occur, WA home prices would need to have fallen in absolute terms, not inflation-adjusted terms.

Still, the article does highlight what an ordinary investment WA housing has been since 2007. Moreover, WA home prices are clearly trending down, having fallen 4.1% over the past 12 months according to RP Data (see below chart):

All up, the articles by the WA Chamber of Commerce and The Western Australian could have the effect of further denting the confidence of WA households, thereby potentially acting to further reduce expenditure, economic growth and home prices.

Western Australians better hope that the commodity boom continues unabated, since it looks like they can no longer rely on debt-fuelled consumption on the back of rising asset prices to drive the economy. 

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

But wait, isn't 2012 the end of the world, the Mayans said so. 

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.  I read that when I was a kid learning to read.

Hay, the way I look at it, we are only as rich as we feel inside.  I feel rich, I know I'm not because my bank balance tells me so.  But no one, no one, ever, ever, can tell me I'm not.

I wake up everyday acknowledging that I have all I would ever need, and everyone who would ever matter!

If we wait for the sky to fall, it will likely fall on top of us.  Better to carry on, and by God's grace, we may have ourselves hiding under the trees when it eventually falls.

Take care everyone.

Angel

Profile photo of ksherwellksherwell
    @ksherwell

Being an ex-real estate agent and having worked in multiple areas during high periods and GFC, I believe it depends on the area.

Each suburb is different, with new transport, building or improvements making an area more desirable then another.

For an investor this is a good time, values are down, there are a lot less competition and if an investor has the ability to hold they can make great profits.

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    angelinsydney wrote:
    But wait, isn't 2012 the end of the world, the Mayans said so. 

Oddly, it will probably co-incide the end of the Australian economy, as we know it, also. At least we can claim we survived to the end:)

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

As Warren Buffet once said; "Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful."

He was talking about the stock market but I think it applies to most investment options…

Viewing 20 posts - 721 through 740 (of 1,123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.