All Topics / General Property / Property bust not here yet … worse to come

Viewing 20 posts - 701 through 720 (of 1,123 total)
  • Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

At the risk of sounding stupid,

Why are we minutley discussing some random people who may or may not be losing money. Does this last 10 years portend the immentnent crash of the whole Australian property market? I think not.

Once again if people have lost money in the last 10-5-2-1 years by investing in property you have to ask yourself how that happened. If they have been given bad advice or bought the wrong thing via emotion or greed then they are probably not viewing property as property investors. If they still work full time and have one property I don't think I would class them in with investors who have multiple properties earning them an income.

So has anyone worked out whether the property market has gone bust yet? No?

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of harbharb
    @harb
    gmh454 wrote:

can you guys point out the quote where I said they bought OVER ten years ago. I said IN THE LAST TEN years..

AGAIN  last ten years…think about it ..

maybe the light will go on…

somehow doubt it

OK, give us an example of someone who bought in Sydney 9 years ago and is still bleeding now then.
     9 years ago is  "IN THE LAST TEN years", is it not ?  :)

@harb
    realestateedu.com.au wrote:
    HHmmm good points here however, How long is a piece of string? I bought an old sh.tter in 2000 knocked it down built a 40 square pool 3 marble baths and am up one million profit HOWEVER If I had to upgrade in the same suburb (Hunters Hill) i need another 500K 

How about if  you bought it and rent it as it was, or if you demolished it and put 2-3 basic homes on the block ? If its an investment you would hardly go for marble baths or solid gold bathroom fittings. As we all know (or should know)  its the land that appreciates in value while the improvements (the building) is usually depreciating in value. 

Which is why I was intrigued by gmh454's comments that he had clients who bought 9-10 years ago and are bleeding.  But now that you posted that I could see how someone who bought 10 years ago and knocked down the old building, built a very expensive mansion then had a full reno done every 2-3 years could be bleeding and would have problems recovering  his costs.  But that sort of mistake would be more likely made by some overenthusiastic new investor and not the type of educated investor using financial advisers and accountants like gmh454's clients would be.  That's like the  P-plater spending $20k plus hundreds of hours of labour  tarting up his $3K and 10 year old Hyundai then wondering why he is having no replies to his ads  when asking  $20k for it.  lol

Quote:
    Australia is CHEAP on the bottom end

That is exactly what some of us have been telling the bears for years now, only they keep pointing to upmarket mansions and call them unaffordable because people on Centrelink benefits can not buy them.  :P

Profile photo of realestateedu.com.aurealestateedu.com.au
    @realestateedu.com.au

Hi Harb,

Sorry I didn’t go for the solid gold fittings hahaha funny comment

Secondly I built a project home not a designer builder … I had Peter Binet give me a quote at the time which was around 800K I went for Westminster Homes and did my own personal touches like 40mm granite in the kitchen, marble floors in all baths and fully tiled walls to give a better feel.

This is the 15 house I have built.

With inflation are we any better off? yes I am worth more money but if I had to replace it in the same area it will cost me 500K extra.

Yes financial literacy is important in all cases and comment sense is invaluable.

I just got back from a semi world trip of Europe and Asia … the same news is there as well … bottom end becoming expensive and the top end suffering … Yesterday I was in Taiwan standing in front of the hotel were millions of scooters and a completely different lifestyle, I think Kiyosaki is correct in saying that there is a division happening of wealth and the middle class being segregated between the two??

Regards

Philip Sigglekow
    LREA author

@harb
    Hi Harb, Sorry I didn't go for the solid gold fittings

I'm sure you are , probably wish you went something like this
    http://www.allweirdthings.com/hongkongs-100-gold-bathroom/

because now Instead of a depreciating asset you'd have a building that has appreciated at the same rate as the land beneath it. LOL

Quote:
    Secondly I built a project home not a designer builder … I had Peter Binet give me a quote at the time which was around 800K I went for Westminster Homes and did my own personal touches like 40mm granite in the kitchen, marble floors in all baths and fully tiled walls to give a better feel.  This is the 15 house I have built 

Hang on a minute, have you built them to profit from selling them ?    800k is a lot of money for a house even in today's dollars, go to http://www.avjennings.com.au and you can get 4-5 homes built for that amount in today $$$ 
    Instead of spending 800 on a building you could have gone for a 200k home and use the remaining 600k to buy 2-3 more existing houses which would have gone up 2-3 times in price since then. ;) Of course hindsight is always 20/20. 

Of course if one overspent on the building and built the house to satisfy his/her wants rather then needs  like some of these more extreme examples did  http://design-crisis.com/?tag=gold-toilet   then they should complain about their house not doing as well as some of the low priced homes around them. :p

Quote:
    I just got back from a semi world trip of Europe and Asia … the same news is there as well … bottom end becoming expensive and the top end suffering …

I think its probably because while everyone needs shelter not everyone needs to live in the top end of town so when the economy suffers the top end gets hit more.   Of course when people go silly and build an excessive number of homes like they did in some parts of US even the low end suffers until population increases takes care of the oversupply. As the economy eventually recovers and the rich recovers with it , the number of wealthy increases the top end will recover as it did in previous recessions. Expensive houses are more about status then comfort so unless the GFC has caused a major shift in human nature I don't expect the wealthy to start slumming it with the peasants in low priced basic shelters. I believe its only a matter of time before the top end recovers as the wealthy feel the need to flash some of that wealth and upgrade to more expensive housing. After all what is the point of being filthy rich is nobody notices your wealth  ? LOL   

@realestateedu.com.au

Hi Harb,

Firstly I cannot understand why you are so sarcastic in your responses.

I don’t know how many houses you have built or investments you own and the limit of your experience.

When you get a quote of $200K from AVJ the end price will be $300K

$800K was a quote for a finished Peter Binet home I paid $425K for a 5 bedroom finished Westminster home, go do one one yourself. This is my PPOR and I do one every 4 years plus JVs with friends on others, we are currently building 3 on the North Shore in Sydney.

Single story houses on the Nth Shore are hard to sell hence the 2 story 40 squares with a few bells and whistles to attract a better quality buyer.

Lastly don’t worry about the state of the Rich and the Poor in society Hard, in the long run they will all be OK.

Philip Sigglekow

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    harb wrote:
    I think its probably because while everyone needs shelter not everyone needs to live in the top end of town so when the economy suffers the top end gets hit more.   Of course when people go silly and build an excessive number of homes like they did in some parts of US even the low end suffers until population increases takes care of the oversupply. As the economy eventually recovers and the rich recovers with it , the number of wealthy increases the top end will recover as it did in previous recessions. Expensive houses are more about status then comfort so unless the GFC has caused a major shift in human nature I don't expect the wealthy to start slumming it with the peasants in low priced basic shelters. I believe its only a matter of time before the top end recovers as the wealthy feel the need to flash some of that wealth and upgrade to more expensive housing. After all what is the point of being filthy rich is nobody notices your wealth  ? LOL   

Interesting conundrum you present Harb.

If the rich are downgrading, this would put more pressure on the lower end right? If there is more pressure on the lower end you suggest an OS of lower end property could arise like it has in the US (except that isn't how it happened there – the OS was apparent before the GFC, just not admitted in all circles). Anyways, the top end places must be a hard sell or empty now because of the downgrading. Fair enough, no-one is debating this – its been that way since 2008.

But, if the low end is so under pressure, why haven't more of the lowest income earners been pushed out onto the street?

I believe there is an OS in most places already (especially apartments) but lets just say there isn't. When the rich recover, as you foretell, and move back into more expensive pads, surely this will leave some of the bottom end empty and thus create an OS in that end?

@realestateedu.com.au

Hi unmester,

Good points … is there a difference between rich and super rich … is our rich middle class as we know them and supper rich another level we never talk about? … super rich pay 20 million for a penthouse and don’t care if it value drops here and there ??? … who are poor people and what level is poor?

Overseas buyers buy properties in Australia that are never occupied or rented they just sit there …

What is the true value of a property?

What is the difference between passive income and positive cash flow ???

Regards Philip Sigglekow

@realestateedu.com.au

Hi harb,

I would like to talk to you or meet you in person I am in Sydney but travel extensively where do you want to meet.

Kindest regards
    Philip Sigglekow
    LREA author

@harb
    Hi Harb, Firstly I cannot understand why you are so sarcastic in your responses

Perhaps you are just feeling tired after the round the world trip and think I was sarcastic ? :P

Quote:
     When you get a quote of $200K from AVJ the end price will be $300K

Fair enough , except that even today in today's dollars you can have them build you a complete ( end price )house for $200K AND that we were talking 10 years ago. Not sure if AVJ even built such expensive ($200k) homes back in 2000. Anyway the point I was trying to make was that as buildings depreciate in value if you wanted to maximize your profits from your house you could have gone with a basic house and use the savings to buy another old house on a large block. 

Quote:
     $800K was a quote for a finished Peter Binet home I paid $425K for a 5 bedroom finished Westminster home, go do one one yourself.

Congrats, for that kind of money I'm sure it must have been a very nice home. Can you remember what the median house (and land) prices for Sydney were 10 years ago ?
    Fair enough you want to build upmarket residences for the lifestyle and because you get a better feel from them but then why complain that after inflation you are no better off ?  As I understand it you bought the worst house on the best street which was a wise investment move but then you went on to demolish it and built a residence that made you feel good which did not increase in value as much as you hoped. Did I get it right ? If that is right then you paid for the feel good factor and built the home to feel better first and to profit from it financially second. Much like someone who buys a large Audi or BMW instead of a small Toyota or Hyundai  because of the feel good factor rather then the lower depreciation. 

Quote:
    Single story houses on the Nth Shore are hard to sell hence the 2 story 40 squares with a few bells and whistles to attract a better quality buyer.

Only because sellers are unrealistic about the asking price and expects to recover the full costs plus interest of rebuilding or extensively renovating the property. A smaller amount spent on the building would allow the seller to sell the property for just above land value and maximize the profits made from his investment.
    I have a property on a street where on one side of it most of the houses are your typical 1980 small basic 3br and on the other side they are mostly 5 years old or less, mostly 4&5 br 400sqm mansions.  Despite having spent anything from $350k upwards to build these modern homes the sellers are struggling to sell them for  $100-$150k more then the older termite infested homes and with prices on this street going sideways over the past 2-3 years anyone who built recently and placed the house on the market would have been better off by at least $100k to not build and sell the land as vacant.  Yes the bells and whistles (house) helps to sell the property ahead of a vacant block but it makes no sense spending an extra $350k to build just so you can sell the property for  $150k more.  

Quote:
    Lastly don't worry about the state of the Rich and the Poor in society Hard, in the long run they will all be OK. Philip Sigglekow

Who's worried ? LOL

@harb
    ummester wrote:
    Interesting conundrum you present Harb.

If the rich are downgrading, this would put more pressure on the lower end right?

But are they downgrading or just staying put which is causing the lower end pressure?

Quote:

If there is more pressure on the lower end you suggest an OS of lower end property could arise like it has in the US (except that isn't how it happened there – the OS was apparent before the GFC, just not admitted in all circles). Anyways, the top end places must be a hard sell or empty now because of the downgrading. Fair enough, no-one is debating this – its been that way since 2008.

But, if the low end is so under pressure, why haven't more of the lowest income earners been pushed out onto the street?

I believe the low end is under pressure most of the time, if not from low income earners  spurred on by boosts to FHOG then investors. Rather then being pushed onto the street  the lowest income earnest are being pushed towards the new outer suburbs, houses on smaller blocks of land and apartments.

Quote:
    I believe there is an OS in most places already (especially apartments) but lets just say there isn't.

Lets say it is,  given a choice the majority of people prefer to live in houses rather then apartments there is always going to be an OS in apartments ahead of free standing houses.

Quote:
    When the rich recover, as you foretell, and move back into more expensive pads, surely this will leave some of the bottom end empty and thus create an OS in that end?

Hehe, you make it sound like I look into crystal balls to foretell the future. Since  cavemen times humans who could afford it would show off their wealth by residing in better caves, dwelling, manor houses, castles and in recent times exclusive estates and suburbs. No need for crystal balls to know that when people can afford it they will start upgrading once again. In Australia its harder to create an oversupply at the bottom end of the market then say US because our developers develop land and when they do build an  apartment block they only start work on it after the vast majority of apartments have been presold. Compare that with US developers who turned cow paddocks into new suburbs without having presold a single house and the left investors take the losses when they were forced to sell below replacement cost or ran dozers through partly built homes because it was the cheaper option . Also if you look at our bottom end (new homes in the new outer suburbs) competition between builders keeps prices reasonably low and the price of land is also only slightly above cost. I believe that having the cost of building new homes in new suburbs so close to replacement costs is helping to regulate the OS in our market. Any falls in the existing low end market is causing the new homes to be uncompetitive and reduces the number of new starts removing the OS and putting a floor under the prices. Combine the self regulation with the fact the entrants into the bottom end market are FHBs , investors and the odd people who refuse to keep up with the Joneses there is no reason to believe we will ever end up with oversupply at the low end of the market. These people would not normally go out and buy or build a more upmarket property unless they sold or rented out the current one.  

Profile photo of simplesimple
    Participant
    @simple

More on this topic: http://www.news.com.au/money/property/super-saturday-1700-homes-on-the-block/story-e6frfmd0-1225942475935

With inflation at the moment at 6-7%, house prices need to keep rising minimum of the same percantege not to loose value in real terms.

Profile photo of gronk007gronk007
    @gronk007

Inflation is 3.1% at the moment….not the 6-7% inflation that was previously quoted.

Participant
    @simple

TOP 10 Most expensive Cities to live in:
    http://www.homeloanfinder.com.au/blog/top-10-most-expensive-cities-to-live-in-2010-infographic/

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Awww, Australia didn't even get a look in……

Guess we'll have a problem when coffee gets to $6 bucks a cup! That could be the new affordability indicator!

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

@realestateedu.com.au

Hi Harb,

You sound sooo wise so how many houses have you built?

Money does not make you rich but the process of making money will make you rich, many people are good at playing monopoly but fail in real life using their own cash.

Real estate is not the same everywhere, you can’t compare Penrith to Point Piper or build an AVJ 3 bedroom home in a mining town for under $200K

The GFC is a result of people borrowing 100% loans thinking that the PPOR is an asset that will never go down in price.

In 1980 a home cost 3 times earnings today it costs 8 times earnings.

In Japan they had 3 generation loans because of the cost of real estate was so high.

People are flooding to USA now because the prices are so cheap and ROI is over 30% compared to Australia of 2/3% negative geared new (not second hand) properties.

If Steve and Dave did today what they did in 2000 they would get a different result, times and markets are not static therefor our strategies need to be altered.

Interesting reading your views and would like to hear what advise you have for others to prosper, are you a builder or gatherer

Phil

@harb
    Hi Harb, You sound sooo wise so how many houses have you built?

Geez thanks Phil,  you think I' m ready to write a few get rich quick books and hit the personal development circuit to flog them to suckers looking for the magic secret to wealth and happiness ?  You sound alright too, from your blog page it  looks like you picked up a thing or two from all that money invested in  Tony Robbins and Tom Hopkins tapes and seminars. 

As far as the number of houses I built go what does it matter if I only built  20 new houses or  200 ?  And would the 20 homes built on my own count for less then someone else's 30 who had to go into JVs with professional builders to complete them  or had others manage the projects?  Lets just say I built a few IPs,  I did a few small renos, a few larger renos , took me 5 goes to get my PPOR just right and have acquired the skills to build a complete home on my own if I wanted to do so.  

Quote:
    Money does not make you rich but the process of making money will make you rich, many people are good at playing monopoly but fail in real life using their own cash. Real estate is not the same everywhere, you can't compare Penrith to Point Piper

An then there are the people playing monopoly with other people's money. 
    Real life IS playing Monopoly. Some people play it, some people who can't play teach it and some are like bunnies frozen in the headlights watching others playing it but too scared to make a move.

Quote:
    In 1980 a home cost 3 times earnings today it costs 8 times earnings.

Blah, blah ,blah, the same old fallacy the bears have been pushing as to why prices HAD to crash 40%  a few years ago.
    Putting aside the fact that since 1980s our wise and illustrious leaders have been deceiving the masses with dodgy CPI numbers and ever changing contents in the "inflation basket"  to keep the lid on the working class wages how can you compare today's basic new house with the 80s basic house ? Where will you find a builder prepared to build you a 3×1,  75sqm dog house with a single carport , like they were building in the 80s ?  And if you were to find one where will you find a council willing to approve it ?
    If you were to compare apples with apples and take today's blue collar tradesman earnings and use it to build a home of the same dimensions and specs as the 80s home on the city's outskirts it doesn't cost you that much more now then it did in the 80s.

Quote:
    In Japan they had 3 generation loans because of the cost of real estate was so high.

I was wondering when you were going to bring up Japan's property crash . 
    And yet despite the crash there and declining population prices in Japan ares still relatively high.  Even if we were to take the 8x earnings pushed by property bears (which I think is BS) prices are still low when compared to a lot of other countries where the ratio goes well into double digits.  To justify the claims of  our property being overpriced "the experts" are using the price/rental income ratio which in Australia is affected by Negative Gearing keeping rents too low. .

Quote:
    People are flooding to USA now because the prices are so cheap and ROI is over 30% compared to Australia of 2/3% negative geared new (not second hand) properties. If Steve and Dave did today what they did in 2000 they would get a different result, times and markets are not static therefor our strategies need to be altered.

People are flooding to USA because the spruikers are pushing USA properties the same way the spruikers were pushing dodgy Gold Coast investments in the 80s and dodgy self help tapes and various courses costing as much as a house at the  "free" seminars run by  "life coaches " and "super salesmen" in the 90s.   Prices that are cheap  in USA are "so cheap" for a reason so anyone thinking of buying there should do his own research and take everything being told by the spruikers with a large pinch of salt.  Just wondering why have you brought up USA , are you planning to invest there yourself or begin selling USA properties to Aussies  ?

The markets may not be static but nobody can be sure of how Steve and Dave's strategies would work out today anymore then they would have back in 2000 but one thing that we can be sure of is that doing nothing would have resulted in achieving nothing.  I do remember some of the "experts" flashing their qualifications around on TV and claiming that properties were overpriced back in 2000 and that  we have reached the peak and property prices were due for a correction. In hindsight they were of course wrong and they could also turn out to be wrong today but only time will tell.  

Quote:
     Interesting reading your views and would like to hear what advise you have for others to prosper. 

Unlike yourself I'm not into educating others and have no intention of pushing my views onto others.
    I have no advise to give to others other then to tread carefully and don't believe everything they read on websites, be wary of offers of "free"  seminars, books ,etc. because  nothing comes free and may end up costing them tens of thousands or more and  always remember the old saying ' if it sounds too good to be true it probably is' .

@realestateedu.com.au

Hi Garb,

This will b my last communication with you.

God only knows why u have such a chip on your shoulder.

If you read your replies u will understand that u have not understood my points.

It really does not matter what I respond to you here because u will find a smart a.se way to reply … u r negative energy to me … I have done the hard yards including 4 corporation licenses and 3 diplomas but to someone like u that makes no difference because u will always find a way to put others down to make yourself look or seem larger that what u r.

The only difference between u and me is that I have done it, including my first 50 lot subdivision at 28 years old … OK go reply but I won’t you r a tall poppy in my view.

Thankyou

Philip Sigglekow

Participant
    @simple

Hi Guys, anyone have any data on how we tracking with RE last two weeks? I have been away…
    Side thought: If Asussie goverment start printing currency like mad, we may not actually see RE crash as currency devaluate faster :) :)
    Anyhow, RE is becoming attaractivly chaper since 2005 if you play gold/silver VS RE game. Same use this tool to create major wealth according to Michael Maloney "guide to investing in Gold&Silver".

Profile photo of EPI_DenEPI_Den
    @epi_den

Hey hey hey!!! Let's hold our horses and get back to the original topic here!!!

Is there worse to come or are things looking bright? What are the fundamentals here??

Let's think about this;
    1. The market has definitely softened, and interest rates look like they are on the up…
    2. There is still a lot of uncertainty…

So what's different from the past?

There will always be those who say that the crash is around the corner and you can always find a reason NOT to invest. How long are we all gonna wait?

Ultimately, I reckon it's all about making sure you make some good decisions and keep your brain switched on! If you want to invest in property then make sure you do your numbers and keep a cool investor's head. There are still some great buys to be found. Take your time, have a good look, and keep some confidence.
    <br /:)” title=”>:)” class=”bbcode_smiley” />

Viewing 20 posts - 701 through 720 (of 1,123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.