All Topics / General Property / Bye Bye NSW Property Market (long)

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Wrappack, I would still go full steam ahead with that duplex if I were you.

Just buy it in two names, yours and your wife’s (or mother or girlfriend).

By living in one you at least will avoid tax on at least one of them if it becomes your personal residence at first.

Sorry, I just realise that I didn’t suggest for you to consider to also have an agreement drawn up which goes along the following lines :

1. the two buyers are A + B
    2. upon completion of the project each party is to receive a seperate title for what ever their share entitles them to.

By having a written agreement (which may possibly need duty stamping) drawn up one can seperate the personal use dwelling from the dwelling which (I assume) you want to sell at some stage two things are achieved :

1. you have established right at the beginning your intention as far as the tax department is concerned so there is no room for dispute.

2. you won’t have any difficulty to transfer the title to your wife at a token amount of stampduty ($ 12-00 ? $ 15 ?).

As always, take the main points to your solicitor and have him draw up the agreement AND always verify the value of the above with your accountant.

Pisces

Profile photo of PixiePixie
    @pixie

Could someone clear up this stamp duty shambles for me please. Will investors who already have IPs be liable for this duty or only investors who buy IPs after the duty has been brought in.
    Majic.

Profile photo of wrappackwrappack
    @wrappack

Majic, the 2.25% (on gross sale price) will apply to all properties sold after a certain date (I forget), as long as it is about 15 or20% more than was paid. It is not just for ips bought ‘after’ a certain date- as happened with the CGT in 85

Pisces, I think that my duplex idea is brilliant, but i fear that the overall investment climate has sudddenly chilled. In the paper today, auction clearance rates on the central coast was 32%, and this ignores the ones pulled prior to auction. For sale signs have sprouted on many lawns, even ones that were recently sold (last year or two- ?new landlords getting out of the game). In the same way that a rising tide lifts all boats, a falling one must also do the same. With apartments about to be in free fall, and some townhouses untenantable, I dont think nsw (or certain parts of it) have any value. Yes, our population will continue to increase much greater than every other state, and the supply of land is basically fixed, but the oversupply of ips must hurt the market at some stage. I think six months is a good time to sit on the fence.

And Mysta, for 44c, lets see, my work rate is about $300 per hour, so 44c is about five point two eight seconds.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Wrappack, it will take the best part of six months (if you are lucky) for you to have council consent in your hands.

Say one month for a surveyor and an architect to do their task, and four months to get council approval. That takes care of five months.

Then you need to spent some time to get quotes from builders so there goes at least another month.

So after say six months the construction commences. It may take six months or so to complete.

So if you were to start tomorrow you are looking at a completion date of one year from now !!!!

Long enough for circumstances to have changed for you ??

Pisces

Profile photo of TorachanTorachan
    @torachan

Hi all.

For what it’s worth I believe that other states (including those overseas destinations New Zealand and Tasmania) will follow suit so there is nothing to be gained by abandoning NSW on the basis of this unfair tax alone. A wise investment remains a wise investment.

I feel that the real lesson to be learnt here is that governments can change the rules at anytime. Interest rates will no doubt rise in the future(a safe assumption).

If Jan Sommers is to believed the housing market is made up of between 66%-75% owner occupiers which leaves 25%-34% people renting. Surely if every homeowner bought just 1 investment property there is going to be a few empty properties? Or is that just me? I am not trying to be funny here.

At the end of the day (geeze I hate that expression) it’s the fundamentals that will seperate the investor from the speculator. A poorly located house which is over capitalised and over geared has to perform poorly compared to someone who has done the research.

Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Any variation is a bad thing

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

A Message from Robert Kiyosaki

“The apparent real estate slump is good news and I am kind of hoping the same will happen here in the US.

This is just like the dotcoms – the time is near where there is going to be blood on the streets. This is the time for the true investor. The losers will start losing and the real investors will start winning.

Taxes scare off the little guys. Taxes are inconsequential – they are a minor part of the reason to invest. A true investor doesn’t worry about taxes. They take advantage of a falling market and make their money then!”

Robert Kiyosaki
    Author of bestseller Rich Dad Poor Dad

Cheers
    Mel

Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>Those of you following my other threads may know that I have been very keen on doing a duplex development, which if successful, would keep doing more and more. Found a site, perfect, and the numbers crunch quite well. Enter car, enter a different climate, particularly in 2-3 years time. Enter skepticism, and my plans are on the outer, and I will either i) sit on the fence (like most of nsw) or ii) go to qld and try something.<<

Wrappack, my understanding is that builders (and therefore developers as well I guess) are exempt of the 2.25% additional duty.

Isn’t that good news for you ?

Pisces

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

[blink]
    being new results in me being confused at times, so bear with me, please. The extra 2.25% is payable when you sell only?! So if you’re stategy is to buy and hold you’d be peachy-hunky-doory?! And the resulting pre-sale to avoid the tax would mean you would benefit by being able to push for better prices, right?! So, as long as you don’t want to wrap or flip or sell during this Govt you’d be in a fortuetous (whoa – big word) position?! Right?! Maybe this would be the new NSW strategy.
    Hmmmm interesting …

C@34

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Ha ha, you are spot on Calvin. Not only if you buy and hold you can easily say who cares, this tax has smoked out all the sellers who have jumped on the market all at once, choking it with listings that where waiting for another extra $10,000.

Never been so good to buy in Sydney, not since 1992, and it is going to get even better if we get a rate increase next month.
    Welcome, by the way!

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of QuintetsQuintets
    @quintets
    Originally posted by melbear:

Taxes scare off the little guys. Taxes are inconsequential – they are a minor part of the reason to invest. A true investor doesn’t worry about taxes. They take advantage of a falling market and make their money then!”

I heartily agree with Mel’s quote of M. Kiyosaki. I’m new in IP and I confess it’s taken me about four years to take a big chunk of my emotional fear out of property investing. One fear was taxes from the big baaadd government. Tax should be one of the last reasons to consider getting into a property…and now…one of the last reasons to consider when you get out.

Alot of people will be angry and the debate will rage, but soon, I will stow the anger away until the next election. Until then, there will be alot of buying opportunites out there. javascript:insertsmilie(‘[thumbsup2]’)

Quintets

[thumbsup2]

in Sydney(just)
    j@<nospam>jireh.net

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

How great is Bobby Carr?
    Well done Bob.
    P_ss off the pretend property investors and let the real investors get on with the task of property.
    “When the going gets tough,the tough get going”.
    All the wingers please nick off.
    Brain dead developers are building block after block of units as there’s no to-morrow. Most are JERRY built.Thown up in a minute,sold to dumbies
    by the truck load.
    Where are these people’s brains? Off the plan buying.On completion these buildings, floor plans
    have been changed to suit the builder. Smaller balconies, smaller car spaces,kitchens not to specifications etc.
    No wonder we need Bob Carr to hit the industry over the head. WAKE UP EVERYBODY, time to THINK!!!
    Now the good news,for non NSW people. If this works for NSW(more taxes to treasurery. Slowing of the boom). Every other state Government will be doing the same.No Premier wants to be the first!!! That simple.
    S.McK. you say that Australians are over taxed.
    WRONG. We don’t pay enough!! Look around you every thing is collapsing around us. Insufficient
    money for eduction,hospitals in need of major repairs.The list goes on and on.
    Steven, Australia is in the middle of OPEC nations when it comes to highest and lowest nations taxation rankings.

bbruham
    A one property millionaire[whistle][whistle]

Keymaster
    @piadmin

The first six lines I can understand Bbruham.
    That is, I took them as a tongue in cheek comment.

Then however you carried on with a lot of what I call unsubstantiated allegations and I started to realise you are deadly serious.

The problem is that, based on the historic record of the Labour Party people sofar, it appears as if on many occasions somehow their brains get fused and it seems as if very little thought appears to go into their logic.

If one pays just a bit of attention to the facts then the reasons for the low standard of education and for the hospitals being in desperate straights are very clear. It is mismanagement by the government.

Throwing more money at bad managers isn’t going to solve their flawed thinking, it sure makes the situation only worse.

But, Bbruham, everyone is entitled to their opinion so go your hardest.

After looking at some of your other posts perhaps you are joking with the whole of your post in question as it is hard to imagine that you could possibly be serious with your remarks !?

Pisces

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Originally posted by melbear:

O.K. Melbear, so 2.25 % of the difference between purchase price and sale price is nothing.

Never mind that because of renovations the deal may well be a losing deal, a tax is a tax is a tax.

So what about a 2.5 % slug ?
    If still O.K., then what about a 3 % slug ?
    What about a 5 % slug ?
    Etc, etc.

The words ‘A true investor doesn’t worry about taxes.’ do have merit but not in this context.

The only time they have merit is when one is tempted to go into a deal with the main motivation for going into it being because of the tax deductions one (hopes to) get out of it.

Many people have run into problems in such a situation because they were greedy and ignored the validity of the proffered tax avoidance scheme.

But to say ‘Slug us with another tax, it doesn’t matter as I am smart enough to take it into my stride’ is a recipe for disaster.

Pisces

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

What has changed for me is, I would still think about buying in nsw, but I will really be preferring post 1987 properties forthe depreciation allowances. So the tax man giveth in one hand (dep allowances of 2.5%) and taketh away, in another. A big reason (aside of dep allowances) for me thinking of buying newer properties, is that now my buy and hold notion, will be for longer than ten years- it will hopefully be buy and hold forever. And whilst some older houses will live forever, some places won’t. Hopefully, now that I have a bit more knowledge than when I first started (wouldn’t be hard!) then I can be a bit choosy about buying those “forever” properties.

kay henry

@melbear

Pisces

Did you note my post read: ‘A message from Robert Kiyosaki’?. Have another look.

Why does a true investor not worrying about taxes not have merit in this situation? Are you planning on selling? Oh yes, that’s right, you are looking at wrapping – but you can get away with it if you mark up by 11.9%!

I will not plan on selling any of my properties for a good while – if ever. I think to rush and sell now to avoid the tax is rather ludicrous. Especially with the ‘discount’ that a lot of sellers are giving. It’s like asking for a 10% discount for cash so the merchant doesn’t pay the (3? 4? %) credit card fee.

I hope that a lot of other people do hold off selling now – it will mean less supply, and therefore, what? That’s right – higher values, values which I can use to borrow further.

Cheers
    Mel

Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>Did you note my post read: ‘A message from Robert Kiyosaki’?. Have another look.<<

I think one would generally be inclined to assume (rightly or wrongly) that if someone quotes someone else without mentioning one word of criticism that the writer of the post agrees with the quote.

Pisces

@melbear

Pisces, that may be your assumption, but it has not been mine.

And where was it that ‘I’ or even Kiyosaki said

‘Slug us with another tax, it doesn’t matter as I am smart enough to take it into my stride’ is a recipe for disaster.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of LonelySingleManLonelySingleMan
    @lonelysingleman

You slug it to them Melbear, I admire you. I have already seen your photo. I like the looks of you.

Are you single by any chance ?

Regards,

Peter

Profile photo of ezy.home.loans23320ezy.home.loans23320
    @ezy.home.loans23320

New South Wales in the grip of Terror.
    I have decided I am going to Buy Buy Buy and Hold Hold Hold.
    We could debate the Government of the day but we can not do any thing about it, and if we could change the Government, would we want to?
    same ole same ole [bandana]…who ever said lets give the battler trying to make a secure life for the future , a fair go. Not any government I have heard of, [buz2]

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Since the inception of this “tax driven” thread, I have found 2 +CF properties in NSW that long for a new owner, made an outrageously low offer (20% under listing price) and am waiting for what seems will be a yes. I will have to pay stamp duty when I sell? Hu hu not necessarily, my estate may have to, or perhaps the opposition (?) will remove it
    Look for opportunity in stead of security.

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.