All Topics / General Property / Sydney Leads the Nation…Downwards

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Profile photo of dmichiedmichie
    @dmichie
    Hum, what to say to the above? So we lost 12,000 young and gained 170,000 mature and that is …. bad?

Yes of course its bad to have such an imbalance. If people in the prime of their working life are leaving Sydney, who is going to buy all these overpriced houses when the baby-boomers want to sell up in 5-10 years time?

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b
    Originally posted by dmichie:

I’ll leave it for other readers to decide which of us has more of a vested interest in the health of the property market.

You obviously do. You have purely selfish reasons.

Unless you are from another planet or just looking around the forum with your one eye closed (as usual), you would know that I no longer write loans. In any case, even if I did, in an upward market, people buy and in a downward market, people consolidate or refinance.

I have also publicly stated that I intend to no longer directly invest in property.

Can you please tell me how I have a “vested interest” in the health of the property market?

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au

[email protected]

Essential Links Website

Profile photo of markpatrickmarkpatrick
    @markpatrick

Interesting topic, someone said that to be all doom and gloom is a bad thing then went on to say that is a sad and bad world we live in.
    Balance is probably the key, striving to be totally positive all the time is not only unwise but is also impossible, as these posts have shown.

Profile photo of dmichiedmichie
    @dmichie
    In any case, even if I did, in an upward market, people buy and in a downward market, people consolidate or refinance.

Agreed, but the market has to move, and its a bit of a standoff out there ATM. Vendors asking too much, buyers not offering enough, properties sitting on the market for months on end. As I understand it, investor financing has dropped off dramatically, owner-occupier financing has picked up a bit, but still well down from the top.

Can you please tell me how I have a “vested interest” in the health of the property market?

Well, I’m not the one with big links advertising my services in every post.

@robbie-b

Oh, the links!!!

You mean my ‘FREE services’ helping people with their loan structuring. I never ask anyone to pay me anything or to buy anything. I make some money through people visiting my website and some other money if someone asks me for a referral which is paid by the broker I refer to (fully disclosed of course).

How does this relate to me being a positive person or having a vested interest in the property market?

My advice addresses finance structure and general information only. It does not extend to whether or not someone should buy or sell property or the State of the economy.

Do you have anything else?

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]

Essential Links Website

@dmichie
    I make some money through people visiting my website and some other money if someone asks me for a referral which is paid by the broker I refer to (fully disclosed of course).

This is how you make your living I assume? Please correct me if I’m wrong. Perhaps it is just a hobby?

@robbie-b

You must have missed my other posts.

I am no longer a mortgage ‘broker’. I have decided to only advise people as to their structuring, product selection and interest rates. I do this for free here and other forums and enjoy it so I decided to set up my own website for others needing my assistance or for those who just want second opinions. This also includes a service for brokers who get stuck.

Obviously I can’t help everyone but I have a great team of people behind me who help out if there is something I don’t know so the service is pretty good. This is from the feedback I have received so far.

So you are right, it is a hobby. I will be making a decision in the next week as to where I will be actually ‘working’ to earn my main income (still in finance). I got sick of being self-employed so I have been looking for the last few weeks (being very fussy). This is why I have been spending a lot of time in the forums lately. Most of my time has been on the computer preparing the websites and I keep the forums open while I am working on them.

I truly have no vested interest (that I know of) in whether the Sydney market goes up or down.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]

Essential Links Website

@dmichie
    I truly have no vested interest (that I know of) in whether the Sydney market goes up or down.

Well I apologise then. One could easily get the wrong impression from the links in your posts.

markpatrick, as for balance I often find myself fighting the bullish case in ultra-bearish real estate forums like this one:
    http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showforum=22
    Many Brits are under the impression there has been a catastrophic real estate crash in Australia, and I am forever telling them it isn’t the case.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hi Dimichie,

I am interested to know your views on the QLD market to property investing as a strategy v’s investing in Sydney.

As this is an investment forum what other areas do u think will perform well over the next 3 years based on stastics.

resiwealth

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci

Dmichie,

The aging population problem (fewer young people, many baby boomers) is a National problem – not the least exclusive to Sydney. In fact, the problem is more exasperated outside of the major hubs as young people relocate to where there are jobs, while the increase in older people is simply because they have become older (they generally haven’t *migrated*).

I don’t know exactly what the House Price Index measures (or who they gain their stats from) but my Sydney property has not had a decline, merely a reduced growth rate.

Eg. one property was bought at the height of the boom in 2002 – but I got it for a decent bottom-range price of $405,000.

This was a private sale – not through the auctions (looking at auction results will gain skewed info, as a minority of properties sell this way. Additionally, an Auction is only a good idea for vendors when the market *hot*, so declining Auction clearance rates are expected in a slow market like the current one).

We had the property revalued 2 and 1/2 years after purchase – when it was in the middle of renovation. Ie. the house itself had been de-valued since purchase, it was no longer in the habitable state that we bought it in. Despite this physical devaluation, the bank revalued the property *in it’s gutted state* as being $450,000, and to be worth $550,000 once renovations are completed.

This is a *conservative* bank valuation, and the near identical house next door sold just a couple months earlier for $600,000 with the vendor in a must sell asap situation.

We conservatively expect that on the 3 year anniversary of this purchase it will be worth $600k to $630k.
    I.e:
    Purchase price = $405,000
    Renovation cost = $45,000
    End price = $600,000+
    Equals $150,000+ increase in value over 3 years.

Yes, it would be worth more if the *hot* cg rates had continued – but there has not been a loss here. The market has not collapsed. Even if we didn’t renovate (or devalued the house), there would still be growth in the land it sits on.

The area now has a median house price of over $600k – when it was about $450k when we bought in Sept 2002.

BTW the next door neighbour bought his place in 2000 for $300,000, and sold end of 2004 for $600,000 after renovation and in a must-sell situation. This is after it was declared that the Sydney ‘bubble’ had burst, and he made a healthy profit.

Personally, we don’t intend to sell, and have every expectation that we will have good CG in the mid to long term future.

As always – do your due diligence, and if you buy well you should be right – if you pay too much then you’ve lost money before you’ve even started.

Dmichie – your chart of property prices clearly shows that someone buying in 1980 would have had growth in the ten years following. If they made use of the cycle they could have sold their property anytime from mid 87 to mid 89 and made a profit. (Also, this graph is skewed to only count property growth after inflation. If you similarily graphed the returns on $100,000 in the bank during this time, when inflation was incredibly high, your $100,000 would diminish significantly every year and *never ever* recoop).

You are also ignoring rental yields. In those years where property growth fell, rental rates went up. While property was booming in Sydney, rentals were crap. Now they are begining to go up.
    If we are in for a ten year stall on capital growth as your predict, the rental returns will rise to make property cf+. Residex has graphed out the cycles to current day (not available online) and it clearly shows that there are cycles, and that when cg declines, rental yield rises.

Does this mean that “Sydney” is the best place to invest? One thing you need to remember is that about 1/4 of the population of Australian lives in “Sydney”. One council area within Sydney can have a greater population than a whole city outside of Sydney. To expect all areas of Sydney to behave the same is ridiculous – it’s like saying all of WA is the same regardless of whether you are investing in Perth or some backwater.

Due diligence is always the key, and it will depend on a persons personal investing strategy to determine the best place to invest (in and out of Sydney).

At the moment, I think you can still gain good cg in Sydney if you pick the right areas and buy below asking price. Residex predicts that my area will bounce back to 12% growth p.a. over the next 3 years.

However, for many other factors I am choosing to now invest elsewhere. Because I am more interested in cf+ properties now. Because in addition to the various taxes imposed on purchasing property, NSW has a 2.5% vendor’s tax. Because I think other states have better government spending on utilities and infrastructure, which make for more sustainable communites (and population growth).

On a personal level I am incredibly frustrated with the NSW state government that has now been in power for 10 years and achieved… nothing. It is Sydney centric, which means that rural NSW is dying. Population increase is therefore increased in Sydney as young people flee rural life, but Sydney growth is unsustainable because they have not maintained or invested properly in planning (and implementing) roads and public transport (or health, education, the list goes on).

While I believe CG is a definite part of Sydney’s future, I forsee an increase in social problems because of the government’s refusal to deal with these issues. Probably not something the savy investor has to worry about, but I’d rather move away from the concrete jungle and explore other opportunities where gvt and communities are working together for positive means.

Profile photo of goingupgoingup
    @goingup

To Dimiche and MortgageAdviser,

im just a newbie and im a young one at that but even i can see that your both being pretty immature. Neither of you are posting information that is paticularly helpful or interesting. All your doing is arguing fo its own sake. Get over it already.

@dmichie

Luci, I’m glad that you have 100% faith that house prices never go down. If that’s what you believe then keep buying property. I am quite happy staying on the sidelines for now, because agents keep calling me to tell me about price reductions. Two just this morning.

Also, this graph is skewed to only count property growth after inflation.

Yes, that’s called real growth. That’s hardly “skewed”, its the only sensible way to measure the capital growth of your investment. BTW, a growth rate below inflation is a real decline.

Residex predicts that my area will bounce back to 12% growth p.a. over the next 3 years.

LOL! Residex predicts 12-15% for my suburb year in year out. They never predict anything different. Fact is, my suburb was down 15% YOY from 2003 -> 2004, and probably another 5-10% this year. I can assure you Residex never predicted that!

Neither of you are posting information that is paticularly helpful or interesting.

Fair point. I try not to make accusations or make personal comments but Robert persists with this “alterior motive” thing over and over.

@dmichie
    I am interested to know your views on the QLD market to property investing as a strategy v’s investing in Sydney.

IMO the only place to invest in property at the moment is WA, and then only in the short term. Once the heat comes out of the resources boom, the Perth market will follow the rest of the country.

As this is an investment forum what other areas do u think will perform well over the next 3 years based on stastics.

Honest answer: buggered if I know.

The Sunday papers were talking up talking up a stockmarket rally … “Shares are the cheapest in more than 10 years and primed to climb to record levels in coming months, experts say”. Can’t see it myself. Methinks these ‘experts’ may have a vested interest in talking up this rally.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Shares-head-north-as-fuel-inflation-tamed/2005/05/21/1116533578737.html

In the medium term, if you believe Australia’s current account deficit is unsustainable (as I do) and if you believe the forex markets will correct this (by devaluing the $AUD) Australian exporters will benefit from a lower currency.

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci

dmichie, I don’t particularly appreciate you quoting me out of context. Seems you like an argument more than the exchange of knowledge/ideas.

Originally posted by dmichie:

Luci, I’m glad that you have 100% faith that house prices never go down.

Never said a house price can’t go down. Do your research, buy well, and be aware of cycles while holding. I clearly outlined in my earlier post as to why saying “Sydney has crashed” is a gross generalisation and misrepresentation of the situation – with personal anecdotal evidence.

Also, this graph is skewed to only count property growth after inflation.

Yes, that’s called real growth. That’s hardly “skewed”, its the only sensible way to measure the capital growth of your investment. BTW, a growth rate below inflation is a real decline.

And – as mentioned already – if you had chosen to sell at the right time, you would have made a huge profit in real terms.

And if instead you had kept your money in the bank you would have suffered greater losses in real terms. Inflation in that period was high teens!

Posted by dmichie:

Neither of you are posting information that is paticularly helpful or interesting.

Fair point. I try not to make accusations or make personal comments but Robert persists with this “alterior motive” thing over and over.[/quote]

Dmichie, this was not my posting you were quoting or refering to – so please don’t answer it after addressing me personally… others not reading the whole comment chain may be mislead.

BTW I don’t believe Robert was accusing you of having an ulterior motive, but merely highlighting that the market responds to positive/negative portrayal of property. As long as people – especially the media – continue to talk down the value of preoperty investing the market will take longer to recover from it’s dip because people are afraid to invest.

Part of the reason we had such a huge property boom in 2002 was because there was was a lot of fear of the stockmarket with the media bagging it out – so people invested in property instead. If we want more moderate growth instead of sharp rises and declines, it would be better for people (such as the media) to be balanced and factual rather than sensationalising the issue with a different headline every day.

You are free to sit on the sidelines and not invest in property, but if that is the case I don’t quite understand why you patronise these property boards so regularly. Slow times can offer as many opportunities as hot times, as it becomes a buyers market when less astute investors leave the scene. An investor has more time to consider their moves, reconsider strategies, and negotiate with the vendor to their benefit.

@dmichie
    And – as mentioned already – if you had chosen to sell at the right time, you would have made a huge profit in real terms.

True, if you had chosen the right time, but if you’d bought at the peak in say 1988, you wouldn’t have made any profit until 1998.

Look at the chart: http://203.26.51.178/cracker/51242_1.jpg
    The peak in 1988 is around the same level as 1998.

Now if you believe that 2003 was the peak of an even larger bull run than the late 80s, its possible that if you buy now (or have bought recently) you may not see a profit until 2013.

I concede that most 10 year periods over the past 40 years you would have done very well, but not now, not after this huge boom has so obviously peaked.

And if instead you had kept your money in the bank you would have suffered greater losses in real terms. Inflation in that period was high teens!

Of course. 90% of the time, you are much better investing your money in property, shares etc rather than keeping it in the bank. I think now might be one of those rare occasions when the bank is the best.

Dmichie, this was not my posting you were quoting or refering to – so please don’t answer it after addressing me personally… others not reading the whole comment chain may be mislead.

I wasn’t responding to you, I was responding to goingup. I apologise if you misunderstood or took offence.

Profile photo of ssabssab
    @ssab

dmlrichie, what are your views on the qld market.

Given its heavily driven by international (british in the main) and interstate migration there is a massive dependency on new money entering the region.

The UK market is stuffed without a doubt, the govt has all but admited there is a bubble about to go bust with there hairbrained FTB part ownership scheme announced and the incredible low volume of sales going through.
    SE QLD will suffer badly in the next few years as uk sellers are forced to takes lower and lower prices. They simply wont have the money to pay for the SE QLD properties. Plus the exrate GBPAUD has declined roughly >20% over the last 5 years.

Interstate is more interesting, as sydney prices drop there is less incentive to move north. Likewise vic.

My view is that a long term global correction has started, its going to be a long road of downtrending prices. There might be pockets of reasonable growth areas about but only the best and experienced investors will benefit from these areas.

Gone are the days of simply ‘buy and hold’ property investing.

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Originally posted by markpatrick:

Interesting topic, someone said that to be all doom and gloom is a bad thing then went on to say that is a sad and bad world we live in.
    Balance is probably the key, striving to be totally positive all the time is not only unwise but is also impossible, as these posts have shown.

Markpatrick, this is indeed an interesting thread, information seems to be offered here as a mean to clobber the opponent….hehe a lot of fun.

My comments are posted only as a prompt for people to think about why we act the way we do. Satisfaction from the negative and fear of the positive are but a syndrome of misplaced values and anti-values. An analysis of our actions away from the heat of our overrated opinions can bring light and a change to achieve what we today think to be impossible.

By the way if your post above refers to mine, I should clarify that all I said was in sarcastic mode and should be read as such, perhaps I should have used quotations marks. Sorry.[biggrin]

http://www.chosen4u.com/?ace

“What you want in your life occasionally shows up…
    what you must have… always does.”
    . . . . . Doug Firebaugh
    May God Prosper you.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

If you buy an investment property in main city in Australia and you are looking at a 5-10 year hold you wont lose. Who cares what the market does in the short term. When the markew softens returns increase. So you still win. If we are suggesting that the next boon is say 5 years away, then if you can buy and hold 3 properties you will then double your money. However do what the other lemmings do and wait to the start of the boom. If you are looking at quicker results look to New Zealand not Perth

Nigel Kibel

http://www.propertyknowhow.com.au

Australian and New Zealand Buyers advocate
    service and seminars

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of cmhallcmhall
    Participant
    @cmhall

I posted my first message on this website today and after browsing through the site, came across this thread and could not believe what I was reading. ( Chill – pill guys, as my sons would sometimes advise me).However, now I feel my steam rising.

For dmitch, you ar delusional in thinking Sydney prices are falling , the prices MAY have plateaued IN SOME areas , but generally this market is the pulse of real estate, Australia wide. I own property in a very nice suburb in Sydney ( but I don’t live there) and the reason people may be leaving Sydney Or more accurately NSW are the horrendous taxes the state govt place on home- owners, property investors in this state.
    Tonight’s budget will not be giving much relief to to much hated land tax, stamp duty ( which you have to pay twice!) , not to mention vendor duty.
    Take a look at the bigger picture.All these taxes, particularly land tax will be the decline of NSW as a strong economy and we have already seen strong indications of this over the last year!

cmhall[blink]

@dmichie
    you ar delusional in thinking Sydney prices are falling , the prices MAY have plateaued IN SOME areas

The deluded are those who believe that house prices cannot, will not, and do not fall.
    BTW, if prices have plateaued then they are already falling in real terms.

more accurately NSW are the horrendous taxes the state govt place on home- owners

Actually, NSW does not have the highest taxes (stamp duty) on home owners, it has the highest taxes on investors. If Bob Carr wants to give stamp duty relief to first home owners by slapping a vendor duty on investors I say good on him! Property investors get so many tax breaks from the federal government, the little 2.25% vendor duty only goes part way in redressing the balance.

Now that should stir up a hornet’s nest of outrage [biggrin]

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.