All Topics / General Property / Sydney Leads the Nation…Downwards

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

I have always supported the vendor/exit duty- it subsidises first home buyers’ via atamp duty exemptions and the FHB grant- go figure- it has to be paid for out of something.

As to valuations… it might be a different story if people get their properties valued now… I was reading an article in the Age on the weekend about mezzanine finance and speculative investment in unlisted property trusts. It was discussing sites that were valued at a particular amount in 2003 and were now valued at 1/3 of that amount post-boom. The marketers of these sites are still using figures of the boom time… and are paying returns of 9% or whatever to the first investors via NEW investments- very risky business.

Of course the sydney market has gone down in some areas (but as many would say on here- there are many markets in sydney). As for immigration to sydney- both internal and external… from my memory, it used to be about 52,000… and is now about 35,000 when one takes into account those leaving sydney for other places, in particular Qld.

If people are in for the long haul… market fluctuations are not really gonna make much difference. I’d be interested to hear though, about people’s newer valuations- anyone buy property in 2003 and getting valuations done now? In sydney?

kay henry

Profile photo of cmhallcmhall
    Participant
    @cmhall

dmitchie obviously gets a buzz from this forum and ‘ stirring up a hornet’s nest”.
    I wish to correct you. NSW has the most property tax than any state government. Land tax has been in the media only recently and yes it affects mostly mum and dad investors – or so the media reports.
    But let me put this to you. What about these mum and dad investors who many years ago bought their holiday home/ investment property in coastal towns of NSW to help with their retirement? These people have seen a mega rise in the LT in just 2 years. They have bought these properties to be financilally independent.
    LT is a robbery that impacts on the so-called wealthy ie inherited landowners around Sydney Harbour foreshore who have had to sell off family homes due to the HORRENDOUS taxes. It has also impacted on simple mum and dad investors who want to do the right thing and take charge of their financial future – but seem to be taxed each way.

So it seems paradoxical and even cruel to me that many thousands of people want to take charge of their financial destiny but, in NSW will be taxed to the hilt. At the same time we hear from all levels of govt that we need to do independent in our retirement but how can this be achievable with these taxes?Not to mention LT having adverse effects on the rental market, particularly in Sydney where the landlords are forced to pass on the costs to tenants.Maybe when you are higher in this game and still living in NSW you will realise how hard these taxes bite – you are obviously not in this league .
    STOP PRESS – guess what – Bob has just announced an increase from 1.4 to 1.7 percent in LT a few minutes ago- he has really lost the plot.
    No wonder everyone is moving to Qld dmitchie – you may event be able to afford a house here once you realise the damage the property taxes are doing to the NSW economy.
    cmhall

Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

Just to return briefly to the article that triggered this thread re-Sydney leading the real estate market down.

I am VERY sceptical about any article that bases itself on data collected by real estate agents (in this case LJ Hooker).

While it’s obvious the Sydney market is heading slowly south, it is also clear that real estate agents have two very solid reasons to talk the market DOWN.

First, they want to put pressure on the Reserve Bank so that it doesn’t increase interest rates AND second, in the case of NSW, they want to put pressure on the Carr govt to revoke the vendor tax.

I think it’s really amusing to watch the real estate industry tie itself in knots trying to achieve the above, while also trying to convince buyers that they should still be paying premium prices. Y

Yes, they want to argue it both ways – that the market’s falling, so Dear Reserve Bank Board please don’t increase interest rates because people will be forced to sell the family home….AND, the market’s really strong, so Dear Potential Buyers you’re going to have to open your wallets ever wider.

I for one am enjoying the ride right now.

By the way, Dmichie, if you’re having agents calling you and dropping the prices, have you bought your family a new home yet? Or are you waiting for that bell to ring at the bottom of the market?

cheers,
    Carlin

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Carlin,

It’s not just RE agents who are “talking the market down”… nor is it “doom and gloom” messengers… blind Freddy could see the boom has ended in sydney… surely, we are not in denial about that? As investors, it’s in our interests to know the state of the market. As if the RB would fall for RE agent tricks- sheesh- they’re not idiots- I trust the RB much more than I trust politicians.

kay henry

Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

KH – I didn’t say the Reserve Bank had fallen for the agents “tricks”, I just said that the data on which the article is based hasn’t come from an independent source.
    Yes, it’s bleeding obvious Sydney’s off the boil, and Melb’s not far behind.
    Not sure what you’re getting at re-“trusting the Reserve Bank more than politicians”.
    cheers,
    Carlin

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b
    Originally posted by goingup:

To Dimiche and MortgageAdviser,

im just a newbie and im a young one at that but even i can see that your both being pretty immature. Neither of you are posting information that is paticularly helpful or interesting. All your doing is arguing fo its own sake. Get over it already.

Hi goingup,

Thanks for your “helpful” and “interesting” post. I guess that letting off some steam every now and then is not permitted in your eyes.

I will make a deal with you… When you start ‘PAYING’ me, I will be happy to restrict my posts to “helpful” and “interesting”. Until that time, I will post good stuff when I feel in the mood and let off some steam and argue with dmichie when that tickles my fancy. Is that ok with you?

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]

Profile photo of dmichiedmichie
    @dmichie
    What about these mum and dad investors who many years ago bought their holiday home/ investment property in coastal towns of NSW to help with their retirement?

These people are pretty well off by any measure, and have done very well out of just sitting on a property that they bought decades ago. As for retirement, why shouldn’t investment properties and holiday homes be taxed if superannuation is taxed three times; when you contribute, on the earnings of the fund, and when you are paid out.

Anyway, I’m glad that someone (kay henry) doesn’t see that the vendor duty is totally evil.

@dmichie
    blind Freddy could see the boom has ended in sydney… surely, we are not in denial about that?

I dunno, cmhall seems to think I’m delusional for even suggesting that prices are falling in Sydney.

While it’s obvious the Sydney market is heading slowly south, it is also clear that real estate agents have two very solid reasons to talk the market DOWN.

First, they want to put pressure on the Reserve Bank so that it doesn’t increase interest rates AND second, in the case of NSW, they want to put pressure on the Carr govt to revoke the vendor tax.

carlin, you must be living in a parallel universe. I’ve never met a RE agent who wanted to talk prices down. In my experience RE agents will only tell the price that a property sold if it was a good price. If the sale price is “confidential” you can be pretty sure it sold well below the asking price.

BTW, the RBA doesn’t target asset prices (it probably should, but that’s another matter) its prime role is to control consumer price inflation.

By the way, Dmichie, if you’re having agents calling you and dropping the prices, have you bought your family a new home yet? Or are you waiting for that bell to ring at the bottom of the market?

I’m not expecting any bells to ring, but after a bull run of almost 10 years, I think we’re a long way from the bottom. The market generally takes a long time to recover after the top of a boom. Here’s my chart again: http://203.26.51.178/cracker/51242_1.jpg

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Originally posted by dmichie:
    [brThese people are pretty well off by any measure, and have done very well out of just sitting on a property that they bought decades ago. As for retirement, why shouldn’t investment properties and holiday homes be taxed if superannuation is taxed three times; when you contribute, on the earnings of the fund, and when you are paid out.

dmichie, your post smell all of resentment against holders of properties.
    It seems that you believe achieving a high value in asset’s accumulated by (in your view) “passive” means, is a sin and must be punished. Whoever has not suffered and worked hard to achieve a large capital portfolio is a parasite and must be stripped from his ill- gotten gain. Additional public flogging is encouraged.[baaa]

I know people who think like you and they are generally the one that run behind the trends also known as Johnny came late, complaining about the one that did well as the responsible for the “debacle” in the market, the “overpriced” properties, the “exodus” of population to other states, the “unaffordable” housing due to all this bas###ds speculators who secretly meet at night time in the sewer drains to plot the next market take over. They also usually applaud new taxes directed at property holders and usually leap from joy at any mention of changes in legislation to do with Trust and Companies.

Pretty sad really, and not conductive to anything constructive, particularly for the person doing the resenting. Until you lern to celebrate other people’s victories, your own victories get further and further away.

http://www.chosen4u.com/?ace

“What you want in your life occasionally shows up…
    what you must have… always does.”
    . . . . . Doug Firebaugh
    May God Prosper you.[biggrin]
    Marc

@dmichie
    1Winner:
    It seems that you believe achieving a high value in asset’s accumulated by (in your view) “passive” means, is a sin and must be punished. Whoever has not suffered and worked hard to achieve a large capital portfolio is a parasite and must be stripped from his ill- gotten gain

In a word “yes”. I believe our tax system favours speculation (sorry, investment) through negative gearing and CGT concessions over honest labour, with our high marginal tax rates. I think our taxation desperately needs reform so Australians spend more time creating productive businesses and working hard rather than speculating on property.

I assure you I am no “Johnny come lately”. I have done reasonably well out of property over the past 12 years and actually feel quite guilty about it.

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Funny thing about taxing “the rich” is that it means you end up taxing “the poor”. To top it, the real rich just move their money away so you can’t tax it.

For example, as a contractor I started a company out of the Cayman Islands, opened a bank account there and got payed through that co into that account. Normally this wouldn’t help, but I just got an American Express card connected to that account and paid everything through that. Thus my income for Australian taxation was zero, thus zero Australian tax.

(note: I didn’t really do the above, but I did think about it)

Measures designed to tax the rich tend to end up preventing people from escaping poverty because the extra effort required to be rich is not worth the returns. It also means businesses and rich people leave the country to cheaper places to operate. It doesn’t happen overnight, but it does happen.

Poor people can afford housing. Heck, I can afford housing and I started from nothing. “Poor” people should quit whining about being “poor” and find out how the rich got rich, then do it.

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Oh, and stop feeling guilty about making money. That’s a Foolish Thing ™. If you do feel guilty use your money to start a business and employ people to be productive.

I never have and never will feel guilty about making money. I will only feel guilty about actions I take or action I fail to take. I don’t know about you but I’ve had to work pretty hard to get as far as I have (honest labour thank you very much) and I’ve got a long way and a lot of honest labour yet before I’m done.

@dmichie
    Oh, and stop feeling guilty about making money.

I don’t feel guilty about making money when I’ve worked hard for it. I feel guilty about making money from sitting on real estate.

If you do feel guilty … start a business and employ people to be productive.

I did, long ago.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

There are many negative effects of taxing the ‘rich’ to help the ‘poor’. It is a shame that a lot of people forget about the extensive study and many years of hard work to become rich. I can assure you that if my taxes go up to keep people on welfare, I will be moving a lot of my business off shore.

Hey Robin Hood (dmichie), what are your views on taxing everyone equally? I think it is a good idea seing the rich and the poor pay the same for a can of coke, petrol at the bowser, food in grocery stores, etc. They also use the same roads, beaches, parks, etc. Why should someone who gets paid more pay more in tax for exactly the same service. Is this not a form of discrimination?

I would like YOUR (not shouting… emphasising a point) views on this without any links to anyone else’s articles.

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of HotRodHotRod
    @hotrod

Boy these topics get funnier as they evolve.

Reading what the last couple of posts have been it appears that what this site and its subscribers are trying to do are work less and earn more through RE and then to enjoy life.

Seems that there is another view here that you have to work hard to then enjoy the fruits of your labours.

That’s two totally different things and poles apart.

For me I have chosen the former, others have chosen the latter. That’s everybody’s choice.

For people to have such entrenched views to see the other side of the fence requires a paradigm shift. I had mine after working like a dog and getting nowhere fast.

I discovered a new may to makes ends meet without killing myself and at the same time getting oh so close to doing what I want and when I want by the time I’m in my mid 40’s.

My personal view is that people who are doomsayers and complain about the rich getting rucher and the poor getting poorer and that the world is contrived against them will stay like that until one day they have a light bulb moment. Sometimes it just happens and other times it takes a tragedy.

This has probaly now gone OT so my apologies.

All things are possible to the person who believes they are possible.
    Whateve the mind of man can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.
    Napoleon Hill

@dmichie
    Hey Robin Hood (dmichie), what are your views on taxing everyone equally?

I’m not an advocate of flat tax, I have no problems with a progessive income tax system, but I’d prefer the top rate was lower than 48.5%

The GST is essentially a flat tax (i.e. everyone pays the same) and I’d prefer there were no exemptions.

my biggest complaint about the tax system is the tax rates are different for companies, capital gains and personal income tax. I reckon they should all be taxed at the same (maximum) rate around 40%.

Negative gearing is a rort that’s unique to Australia and should have been abolished years ago.

Profile photo of HotRodHotRod
    @hotrod
    Negative gearing is a rort that’s unique to Australia and should have been abolished years ago.

That is at least one thing I agree with.

It would surely sort out the real investors from the speculators even if it would probably drop a lot of lower income earners into state housing and the market would crash.

There’s always bad with the good.

Napoleon Hill

Profile photo of cmhallcmhall
    Participant
    @cmhall

(dmichie)

Yes, Qld tried to abolish this a few years ago and it was reinstated within 12 months as it was so detrimental to the state govt.
    By the way dmichie, do you realise there are three levels of govt in this country?You speak as if there is only one.
    cmhall

@dmichie
    Yes, Qld tried to abolish this a few years ago and it was reinstated within 12 months as it was so detrimental to the state govt.

Really?! its a deduction from federal income tax, how is that possible?

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner
    Originally posted by HotRod
    Napoleon Hill

Agreed, love Napoleon Hill.
    Yet prefer Lassy Winget who wrote a book entitled “Shut up, stop whinign & get a life”

I have yet to hear a more pitifull statement then “I feel guilty about the money I made”. It not only defies all logic but it screems of anti-values and limiting beliefs so loud that it is deafening.

Mr Car(stro) from New South Cuba may be interested in your ideas dm.

http://www.chosen4u.com/?ace

“What you want in your life occasionally shows up…
    what you must have… always does.”
    . . . . . Doug Firebaugh
    May God Prosper you.[biggrin]
    Marc

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.