All Topics / Overseas Deals / kiwi adventure 2

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Profile photo of garywith1rgarywith1r
    Participant
    @garywith1r

Hi Ian,

I’ve been sending emails to people who have expressed interest in getting together and so far Kay (aka Kaos) and Andrew (kyen) have responded.

We are looking to catch up pretty soon and have settled on the Borders bookstore in Knox city shopping centre. I realise it’s a bit of a trip from Eltham, but let me know if you’re interested and I’ll keep you in the loop. The first meet may be as early as this Friday – not confirmed yet.
    -Gary

PS. Others members are welcome to join us too!

Profile photo of iansians
    @ians

G’day Gary

Thanks for the reply. Knox should be a piece of cake as I work in Box Hill. Let me know the details and I hope to catch up soon.

Cheers, Ian

Profile photo of garywith1rgarywith1r
    Participant
    @garywith1r

The KA2 meet-up is confirmed for this Friday night (15/4) at Borders in Knox shopping centre. For anyone who would like to join us it’s still not too late. Email kyen, kaos, giraffe, ians or myself and we will send you the details.

For those not familiar with Knox, Borders:
    Shop 3110 Knox City Shopping Centre
    425 Burwood Highway
    Wantirna, South Victoria, 3152
    Phone: 03.9887.2211

Profile photo of millsymillsy
    @millsy

Oh what a shame, i missed the meeting, been out of town the last week and a half. Well how did it go guys? What was discussed. Are we meeting again soon? Well done on setting it up.
    millsy

Profile photo of ayenayen
    Participant
    @ayen

Sorry we missed you Millsy.

Five of us got together over a coffee this evening. It was very good to meet. We are all coming from different angles but are all keen.

Some “gems” and opinions that came out of the conversation:
    – deals are everywhere so it doesn’t matter too much where you decide to look.
    – finance requires lots of attention. It is hard to get banks to provide finance to Australians. There are brokers in Australia that can provide low doc loans on NZ property. Set up your finance before you go.
    – one way to get finance is to get the vendor to provide some of the finance (eg. 20% then you don’t need to put up any money at all) you then need to offer the vendor an attractive interest rate on their money.
    – look for towns with infrastructure, reasonable size, low vacancy rate.
    – in towns like Tokaroa about 50% of properties are rental properties.
    – look for the deals – the money/finance will follow. If it doesn’t then the deal lapses and you haven’t lost anything (or not much)
    – invercargill is COLD
    – for a bigger deal you can bargin on buying a whole portfolio from a vendor.
    – there are plusses and minusses for teaming up with other KAers in your search. Plus is networking, minus is competition.
    – set your goals before you go.
    – don’t be limited in your thinking – don’t be limited by finance.

I hope I haven’t misrepresented any of the ideas discussed – but I thought it might be worthwhile, to write them down before I forgot them.

We agreed to get together again in a couple of weeks. After we have done some more research.

Andrew

Participant
    @garywith1r
    Originally posted by millsy:

Oh what a shame, i missed the meeting, been out of town the last week and a half. Well how did it go guys? What was discussed. Are we meeting again soon? Well done on setting it up.
    millsy

Hi millsy, just got back from meeting the guys and I must say it was very worthwhile. Peter (giraffe), who attended KA1 was subjected to intense questioning and provided some good suggestions and insights – without resorting to giving easy answers. I came away feeling really encouraged and motivated to set big goals, expand my level of thinking and formulate a strategy to build a plan around.

We discussed myths and incorrect assumptions, finance options, expectations, logistical stuff (like cars, phones etc), contracts and short settlements and what not to do – like over analysing deals and missing opportunities.

The discussions were pretty frank and everyone was pretty open, laid back, friendly and keen to get the most out of the experience as possible. I think it was an excellent start. There was a good range of experience levels within the group and everyone was very positive and energetic.

Yes, we’re planning to meet again in a few weeks so that we can discuss our progress more and be accountable for formulating a strategy. I’ll keep you in the loop (via email) and post to this forum as well. Look forward to meeting you next time.
    -Gary

Participant
    @garywith1r

Great notes Andrew – thanks for doing that. Perhaps next time we can record the whole conversation and allow KA2 participants to download it as an MP3? There may be some from outside Melbourne who could benefit and not feel left out b/c of distance.
    -Gary

Profile photo of aussieinvestoraussieinvestor
    Participant
    @aussieinvestor

Hi all

Thanks for your company tonight guys and it was really great meeting and talking with you.

A lot of what was discussed and the answers I gave were based on my experiences and general observations only and I’d hate for anyone to take it as advice or gospel. I am certainly no expert on investing in NZ or anywhere for that matter!!!! It is up to each individual to set their own goals and strategies and to conduct their own research.

Some “gems” and opinions that came out of the conversation

At the risk of putting people’s noses out of joint, I’d like to say that I do prefer to give freely of my experiences and especially my opinions to an audience of my choosing as they are only mine to give. I am not so naive to think that it will only stay within that audience either. I certainly understand that your post Andrew was posted with the best of intentions, however, I did not intend for our discussions and opinions to be displayed to this forum. This is totally my mistake as I should have pointed this out.

Whilst I don’t necessarily believe that there is any misrepresentation in the post, I do believe that those reading it may get the wrong idea as there was more to the conversations than the brief descriptions contained therein.

Some of the items in the wrap-up probably need some further clarification if they are out in the general forum population as I don’t think they fully reflect the generalised discussions that took place.

– deals are everywhere so it doesn’t matter too much where you decide to look.

Setting goals and determining strategies for those goals, then researching areas will determine the best locations for you to source your deals. Different opportunities may present themselves in the area you are working and it is important to be able to recognise them first, then consider them. Expect the unexpected.

– finance requires lots of attention. It is hard to get banks to provide finance to Australians. There are brokers in Australia that can provide low doc loans on NZ property. Set up your finance before you go.

This once again was based only on my experience. Like anything, research your financing options. Take into account shorter settlements and exchange rates. Make use of the pre-adventure information you have been sent via email. My circumstances are probably completely different to those of you and my strategy for the deal I did on the last adventure will possibly be different also. I had no problem in getting finance in NZ, only it wasn’t the amount I was initially seeking due to my circumstances and as it turned out would have been too restrictive to suit my strategy.

– in towns like Tokaroa about 50% of properties are rental properties.

The figures mentioned were very general to highlight the high rental percentage in Tokoroa. The % of rentals in any area should be part of your research into those areas.

– look for the deals – the money/finance will follow. If it doesn’t then the deal lapses and you haven’t lost anything (or not much)

“Money follows good management”. The better the deal and your ability to manage it, the better the chances of getting finance. If the figures stack up and you can pull it off, the less that money becomes a problem. There will be a section on ‘ouster clauses’ at the seminar to assist. This is also covered on the ‘Kiwi Insight’ CD.

– for a bigger deal you can bargin on buying a whole portfolio from a vendor.

Very general. There was a portfolio for sale on the last trip that the vendor was asking top dollar. My view is that it is more about the vendor than the actual properties themselves. You can pick up bargains for single houses also, depending once again on the vendor.

– there are plusses and minusses for teaming up with other KAers in your search. Plus is networking, minus is competition.

Networking and friendships are certainly big pluses and main reason for me going again on KA2. I don’t think the perceived negatives were discussed this way and I certainly hope that it wasn’t interpreted in that way. There are more than enough deals for all who participate on KA2. This was proven on the last trip. I even gave the example of four of us sharing the same motel suite (separate beds of course). Certainly there is the possibility of placing offers on the same properties but the networking factor will identify this and common sense will prevail to prevent a bidding war. I don’t think any of us on the last trip actually bidded against each other and many worked in teams and did extremely well. There can be agreements reached etc to ensure everyone is happy.

There was also the myth that everyone on the last trip raced down to Tokoroa on the Monday morning to buy some cheap houses, as posted in other threads on this site. What a load of bull as I think that well less than half went there and the group was spread right across the North and South Islands for the week.

– set your goals before you go.

Definitely a must. You will be held accountable.

– don’t be limited in your thinking – don’t be limited by finance.

Definitely again. Look outside the square and you’ll be surprised what you’ll find.

Thanks again guys for the meeting and I hope to meet you at the next one Millsy.

Cheers…Peter

“It pays to stick your neck out”

aussieinvestor | Digital Revenue Pty Ltd
    http://appliancewhiz.com
    Email Me

Profile photo of ayenayen
    Participant
    @ayen

Sorry if I offended Giraffe. I regret not having discussed the idea of posting some notes with everyone when we met – however the idea only came to me when I got home.

The notes were supposed to reflect, in a concrete way, the value of exchanging ideas and networking. They weren’t meant to be specific answers to our or anyone elses problems. In fact, I tried to be quite careful to choose notes that were fairly “non-specific” in their nature. In this I may have been less successful than I had hoped.[glum]

Maybe I interpreted our discussions a little differently from you, Giraffe. Although some of your opinions are mixed up in the notes I wrote, so was everyone elses. I certainly valued your input but I also listened to everyone’s points of view, including my own.

However, given that, I am very pleased that you have expanded on some of these notes. You are generous with you knowedge and experience and I am grateful for that.

It is up to each individual to set their own goals and strategies and to conduct their own research.

I can only 100% agree that we are responsible for our own decisions and hence our own results. This principle is fundamental. KA2, this forum, or advice from mates in the pub may give you ideas and tools to make decisions, but ultimately you need to take responsibility for yourself. This means treating other’s opinions as just that, no more. You must form your own opinions through research and experience.

Andrew

Profile photo of henstershensters
    @hensters

Hi fellow KA2’s. Penny and Mike from Sydney are also heading to NZ in July. We’ve been reading the forum boards and are heading to the masterclass in syd next weekend. Hope to see other ka2’s their. We are also trying to do homework on NZ prior to going. Big questions for us our things like, where to go for properties, what are the risks (ie exrate, distance, unknown factors, slow down of the aus and us economy, etc). For info regarding whether you need to pay tax in Aus, I believe there is a tax treaty in place, so best to speak to your account on this, this is what we will be doing. I guess we have heaps on unanswered questions, some I expect will be answered during the event and in the masterclass.

maybe a new ka2 forum would be good idea?

Participant
    @aussieinvestor

Hi all

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Andrew, thanks for your post. You didn’t offend me and I actually read my post many times over before sending it, in an attempt not to offend you or anyone else. However I thought it was important to get my message across, so I was prepared to take that risk.

I look forward to catching up soon and we can chat some more over a coffee or beer, rather than the internet.

I hope everyone’s research is coming along well and that you have set your goals for the big trip.

Cheers…Peter

Email Me

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

Lots of houses are being readied for the next foray into Tokoroa.[biggrin]

Regards

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hey Muppet

are you buying this week knowing that you can ofload them in the very near future ?[happy3]

seriously, you know more about Tokoroa than anyone on the forum and have owned there longer than anyone else on this whole web site, would you be buying in Tok at todays prices or if you owned 10 properties would you be selling most of them ?

Muppet i’m off to the USA for 8 weeks with the family[happy2][happy] and we will going to Disneyland [mickey] i’ve actually got an annual pass i picked up last Nov when i was there. Gosh investings fun !
    regards westan

We find cash positive deals showing 15-25% Returns in the USA email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Westan & Muppet,

I wonder if these new NZ investors realise that they will be “ripe for the picking” when they all want to come and buy lots of houses in Tokoroa.

“CAVEAT EMPTOR”!!!!!!

It is all about supply and demand.
    This trip will AGAIN, make prices soar (temporarily) in Tokoroa.

Please spend time NOW getting familiar with prices in the town.

Regards,
    Del

http://www.nzpropertytogo.com

@westan

Hi Del

very good advice from a seasoned Tokoroa investor.

just out of interest do you still own in Tokoroa ? Or are you going to buy this week like Muppet (joke). I don’t have any spare cash[cry].

regards westan

We find cash positive deals showing 15-25% Returns in the USA email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Westan,

We have sold our 5 houses that we had there.
    I’m afraid we sold way too soon, but that’s life!

We did look at houses for sale there last week when we were in Tokoroa, but we saw nothing worth buying. Everybody has different goals though, I guess.

I have real fears for these Kiwi Adventure 2 buyers, and I realise that I may not be popular with some on this forum because I write this, but my conscience comes before popularity.

Regards,
    Del

http://www.nzpropertytogo.com

Participant
    @garywith1r

Well, I appreciate you guys raising the issue. I want to have realistic expectations. The NZ market has obviously moved significantly in recent years and even the success of KA1 cannot be taken as a formula for success.

So how can we be smart about our foray into NZ? What advice can be offered? Do we sidestep all of the places that we are expected to head towards and instead create alternative strategies?

I would hope that the seminars encourage an investor mindset rather than being prescriptive about where and what to buy. If the market is so much tougher now I would hope that some new strategies would be outlined rather than going over past success stories that simply won’t work today. Or perhaps I’m being a little optimistic?

Or maybe we just need to be that more vigilant (and informed) so that we aren’t fleeced by those seeking to take advantage. Some additional ‘street smarts’ is definitely going to be needed.

Help us out here guys.
    -Gary

Participant
    @aussieinvestor
    I wonder if these new NZ investors realise that they will be “ripe for the picking” when they all want to come and buy lots of houses in Tokoroa.

There appears to be some perception that this is a ‘Tokoroa’ Adventure and not a ‘Kiwi’ Adventure.

Less than 10 of the 25 investors from the previous adventure actually went to Tokoroa and many didn’t buy. The investors went all over the North and South Islands with some great results in many varying locations.

Lots of houses are being readied for the next foray into Tokoroa.
    just out of interest do you still own in Tokoroa ? Or are you going to buy this week like Muppet (joke). I don’t have any spare cash.
    are you buying this week knowing that you can ofload them in the very near future ?

Westan and Muppet, if you are so cocky confident that the prices will inflate in Tokoroa when we come to town and that you are sitting on some houses you wish to unload or purchase to quickly turn-over for inflated prices, why on earth are you putting off the very market that you think will buy those houses, in a forum that has been established by those people????

I have real fears for these Kiwi Adventure 2 buyers, and I realise that I may not be popular with some on this forum because I write this, but my conscience comes before popularity.

Del, we’ll try extra hard not to give you any ulcers.

People may not like or agree with the program for what ever reason and that’s fine. In fact the cynicism of some on this forum is duly noted and only inspires me to achieve more on this, my second trip. Thanks for the motivation.

Cheers…Peter

Email Me

@westan

Hi gary

i hope they encourage you to look for properties where you can add value to the home. But this is also tough, as one, its hard to get tradesmen and two, its hard for you to get feel for the value of homes. you need to look at the nz market before you arrive in the country. Spend time researching the areas seeing what you get for your money. Look at http://www.realenz.co.nz to get a feel for homes and prices. and finally Pray for wisdom.
    Keep in mind that 10% return is not neccessarily cash positive in NZ now that the variable interest rate is 9%.

Del you will always be popular with Me (in a friend way William! better add that or else next time i see him i’ll be [B)]. Your honesty is appreciated. I believe i’m the same and just calling it like i see it.

regards westan

Profile photo of KaosKaos
    @kaos

[baaa]Hi all KA2’s

Enjoyed all the posts from all the guys (bros), at our meeting on Friday. Since we were all still at the beginning of our research in NZ this meeting was intended as just a chance meet and swap stories; nothing more.

No one should take anything someone says or writes as gospel. He who does will fail ………eventually!!!!

For me the most important thing to take in about this event is the importance of networking and surrounding yourself with like-minded people. I got a lot out our meeting. Most importantly I got motivation.

There will be another meeting in the future (maybe not at Knox) and all are welcome!!!!!!!

Some would say that Peter was pretty Lucky to come across a deal like he did. But …

Luck favours the prepared mind. Peter my hats of to you great job!![thumbsup2]
    Good Luck to all.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.