All Topics / Overseas Deals / kiwi adventure 2

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 90 total)
  • Profile photo of millsymillsy
    @millsy

hello to everyone out there. Just curious to see if anyone who has committed to the kiwi adventure 2 would be interested in making contact with eachother in the lead up to the trip. We could possibly bounce some ideas off eachother and discuss any issues.

Profile photo of aussieinvestoraussieinvestor
    Participant
    @aussieinvestor

G’day Millsy,

Which state are you from?

Sounds like a good idea to exchange emails prior to the event. I was on the last Kiwi Adventure and communicating prior to the trip will help to break the ice on the intro night.

Cheers…Peter

It pays to stick your neck out

aussieinvestor | Digital Revenue Pty Ltd
    http://appliancewhiz.com
    Email Me

Profile photo of millsymillsy
    @millsy

Gday Peter,
    I’m from Victoria. Where are you from? How did you find the experience? Do you have any tips of any description you could offer?
    Cheers,
    Millsy

Profile photo of garywith1rgarywith1r
    Participant
    @garywith1r

Hi millsy,

I’ve signed up for KA2 and I’m from Melbourne. It would be great if we can get some feedback from past participants like Peter to quickly establish how we can best prepare. I’m not familiar with the NZ at all so I’m keen to acquire relevant info to get the most of the trip. So the key question is: Where do we start?

Order back issues of KPI? Read a few select books or comb thru this forum? There are obviously many forum members who are very familiar with NZ and have done major deals there so it would be great if we could get some advice from them. I wonder if someone would be willing to identify several forum members who would be best positioned to assist us? Perhaps Peter could tell us the other members who were on KA1?
    -Gary

Profile photo of turbozturboz
    @turboz

Hi All
    I was on Kiwi 1 and it was a life altering experience.As Pete said it would be great for everyone to e-mail or talk before you go not only will it break the ice, but you can all share in the excitment prior to your adventure.I am no expert at property investing but I will say that to get the most out of the experience you need to know exactly what you want out of the experience.What goals do you want to acheive whilst in NZ? I also had a plan of where I was going on my days in the feild I really think that helps,but that’s my opinion.It was really hard work and I think you will get out of it what you put in.It was one of the best experiences in my life.I don’t think we should tell you to much because this will be your journey and your’s may be different to mine.One thing is for sure your in for a fantastic time.Make every day count.
    Lisa[biggrin][cap]

Profile photo of kyenkyen
    @kyen

Hi KA2’ers,

I’m from Melbourne too and am looking forward to KA2.

I have just started my research into the Kiwi market and have found the following statisitics on the rental market:

http://property-group.massey.ac.nz/mureau.asp

That is a good start – but what I really want to decide is where (physically where as opposed to where in cyberspace) I want to look.

How does one sift through to find areas to concentrate on?

Andrew

P.S. Is anyone old enough to remember Alan Bond’s yacht? Australia II’s sail number was KA2 I think. Must be a good omen![thumbsupanim]

Participant
    @garywith1r

Hi Lisa,

Originally posted by turboz:

I am no expert at property investing but I will say that to get the most out of the experience you need to know exactly what you want out of the experience.What goals do you want to acheive whilst in NZ? I also had a plan of where I was going on my days in the feild I really think that helps,but that’s my opinion.

So as someone who knows nothing about NZ what’s the fastest, most reliable way of identifying your target areas? Look at stats? Read KPI? Surf property sites?

It was really hard work and I think you will get out of it what you put in.It was one of the best experiences in my life.I don’t think we should tell you to much because this will be your journey and your’s may be different to mine.One thing is for sure your in for a fantastic time.Make every day count.

More info please! How did you prepare? What preparation/info/knowledge is mandatory before leaving? I’m probably getting a little too anxious, but I want to start early so I can plan my preparation well and not rush at the last minute. I also would hate to waste time doing unnecessary stuff and miss out on things that could make all the difference. Thanks in advance.
    -Gary

@turboz

I went to http://www.realenz.co.nz went through all the areas.I also read all the old Kiwi posts in general property as well as the knew ones in Kiwi section.Deceided want I wanted to invest in and chose an area.Organise my travel arrangments and accomodation for the days I would be on my own before I left Australia.I also made all my appointment with agents prior to leaving.But if your not sure where to go don’t worry I’m sure after the seminar you’ll be on the right track.It’s great your so anxious I hope other will e-mail you as well.I know exactly how you feel.
    Lisa

Profile photo of KaosKaos
    @kaos

Hi all KA2

The names Kay and I will be there in July. Communication before the avent sounds like a great idea. I to am from Vic/Melb/east-sub.

I have been researching NZ for sum time and my advice is to look beyond front web sites to the agents site directly. ie not just realenz.co.nz

I would be interested in what airfar prices people have found best I have found is $475.83 with emirates??????

all the best to all

Profile photo of GramyreGramyre
    @gramyre

Try Freedom Air http://www.freedomair.com as they fly into/out of Hamilton.

I was signed up for the first one but had to pull out due to ill health. I did think that up until the time I pulled out the lack of communication with other participants and the organisors was rather off putting (like it was a huge secret). Good to see this group able to openly request communication before hand.

I know I can, I know I can

Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

I can say that Freedom Air are great, and cheap! For return flights from Melbourne to NZ i paid $365, but I’ve seen them as cheap as ~$300 including taxes. Check their website daily as they are always running special deals.

Regards,
    Ozi

Participant
    @garywith1r
    Originally posted by Kaos:
    I would be interested in what airfar prices people have found best I have found is $475.83 with emirates??????

Does that include the taxes? If so that’s a good price. If not then try WebJet. I’m flying in on the Saturday morning so Freedom Air wasn’t an option as they don’t run every day. Qantas does connecting flights to Hamilton, but it takes ages as there are long waits (sometimes overnight) between flights. It would be great to stay longer, but I’m not financially free yet so …

Participant
    @aussieinvestor

G’day all

Well it looks like KA2 consists so far of fellow Melbournians. Anyone from other states taking a peak at this thread? KA had participants from all over Oz, even Alice Springs (Howdy Hunter!!!)

Lisa, it’s great to see you on the thread. I hope all is well and your investments are thriving.

Gramyre, I’m so sorry you missed out on the last last trip. Have you signed up this time to regain the lost opportunity? I am interested in your comment about the communication beforehand. It just added to the ‘Adventure’ for me. We were given the essentials such as where and when and the rest was left to our own devices. Adventuring into the unknown was actually quite a buzz. I guess some may see that as a hurdle, even so, the way I look at a hurdle is not ‘I can’t get over it’ but ‘how can I get over it’. I am confident that once I get the knack of getting over the hurdles, they will not be as challenging.

In relation to how to prepare, I reckon there are two prerequisites;

You must have a clear and concise goal or objective. In my line-of-work we use the acronym of SMART to set goals. A goal must be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time framed. For example; “I will purchase $XXXXX of value in real estate by the end of KA2”. Is it specific, yes, is it measurable, yes, is it achievable, what ever the value-yes (as I have found out), is it Realistic, yes and is it Time framed, yes.

The other is you must have an open mind… Don’t place silly limitations on yourself, if you think you can, you will. Your achievements will only be limited by your mind and I can assure you, and Lisa I’m sure you can back me on this one, the limitation I placed on myself in my mind were blown away by not only my own achievements but my new friends, their individual and the group’s achievements.

The above what I think are the prerequisites.

The rest are resources and some must resources are: Kiwi Insight by Steve McKnight and Mike Ward; internet such as realenz.co.nz and some of those sites listed in this thread; this forum and the resources that will be provided on the first day.

Why am I so passionate about this??? Because my life has changed for ever and I can never go back to the way I was.

I hope this helps.

Cheers…Peter

“It pays to stick your neck out”

Email Me

@gramyre
    Originally posted by giraffe:

G’day all

Gramyre, I’m so sorry you missed out on the last last trip. Have you signed up this time to regain the lost opportunity? I am interested in your comment about the communication beforehand. It just added to the ‘Adventure’ for me. We were given the essentials such as where and when and the rest was left to our own devices. Adventuring into the unknown was actually quite a buzz. I guess some may see that as a hurdle, even so, the way I look at a hurdle is not ‘I can’t get over it’ but ‘how can I get over it’. I am confident that once I get the knack of getting over the hurdles, they will not be as challenging.

No I don’t see it as a lost opportunity and won’t be signing up again. At the time I went to the Oct seminar I was a raw newbie with no idea. 3 months down the track I had researched extensively, developed some close contacts and only then the first email had come through from the organisers to say “set goals”. I was way beyond that point but did realise although the trip was aimed at people wanting to invest, it was also for people that had trouble/confidence in “doing stuff”. The only thing I thought I would be paying for would be the expertise in deal checking from Dave/Steve and while that would have made the money back I am sure (If I had bought), I learn more from doing than from having it done…

At that point I withdrew due to illness which was good for me, but I still went to NZ at that time, still looked at property and I still benefit from the communication I have from a contact I had who went to Adventure 1. I also had an awesome holiday (DRs prescription).

Don’t let my story put anyone off from going though, everyone has different ways of doing things and any opportunity to learn is invaluable.

Participant
    @aussieinvestor

Thanks for your excellent reply Gramyre. I think you actually summed it all up in the last 6 words of your post “any opportunity to learn is invaluable”.

Even if we take the seminar, the advisors and Dave and Steve out of the equation for a moment, the amount I learnt from the other 24 investors was invaluable, and that part was for free.

In fact there were so many opportunities to learn on the adventure, the initial investment became irrellevant, as did the airfares and accommodation expenses.

So what did this learning opportunity actually cost me in the end? I think in the end it will potentially be somewhere in the vicinity of a NZ$145,000 refund. Even if Dave and Steve did do this deal for me, which they didn’t, I challenge anyone to think that by giving up a week away with two property experts, 24 like minded motivated investors, a ready-made team of advisors and walking away with potentially NZ$145,000 net of expenses, together with the intangible benefits of knowledge, experience and new friendships, is not a missed opportunity?

I’m sorry Gramyre but I just don’t understand your way of thinking. Maybe that’s why the NZ$145K is going into my pocket.

A fellow participant on KA said to me that the mind is like a parachute, it only works when it is open. Please pull your ripcords everyone, if you have not already done so, for you may not like the consequences otherwise!!!!

Cheers…Peter

Email Me

@turboz

Hi Pete
    I couldn’t have said it any better myself.What we received was priceless.Like you my life has changed forever.
    Take Care
    Lisa[biggrin][cap]

@gramyre

Ahh Giraffe I am the ultimate optimist and living with adversity has enabled me to learn that all situations are opportunities, not only the ones you pay for.

I believe that when the time came to make a decision (my health or my wealth) that I made the right one for me.

Well done for making money from the trip and well done to everyone that did achieve their goals. I know I am certainly better off for my trip (yay for remission!)

Participant
    @aussieinvestor

Cheers Gramyre…Peter

Email Me

@turboz

Hi Gramyre
    Great to here your health is back on track.Keep following your dreams.I agree your health is more important then wealth.Congradulations on acheiving
    what you have and obviously under very difficult
    circumstances.You must have a lot of determination
    and inner strength.So stay strongand possitive.
    Take Care
    Lisa[biggrin][cap]

Profile photo of iansians
    @ians

Hi all

I too am a Melbournian (Eltham) who is looking forward to going on K2. I would be happy to catch up with others beforehand.

Cheers, Ian

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.