All Topics / Overseas Deals / kiwi adventure 2

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 90 total)
  • Profile photo of aptamaptam
    Participant
    @aptam

Hi there,

Just out of curiosity, when is KA2 being run ?

Andrew.

Profile photo of garywith1rgarywith1r
    Participant
    @garywith1r
    Originally posted by aptam:

Just out of curiosity, when is KA2 being run ?

Mid-July, 2005.

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

I am not selling any of my rentals. I am in for the long haul. Tokoroa is a very nice town and very central to much of the North Island.

The house next to one of our rentals was for sale for two weeks and sold for about $93k. We have just relet ours for $180/wk. The owner is renting his own house for $170/wk until he finds what he wants. The house was bought by a local as an investment.

There are a lot of empty houses about. Am not sure if this is abnormal or not.

Some flats that I mow lawns at are still empty after two and a half months. Some owners must be bleeding.

If 10 out of 25 came to Tokoroa that means that 40% of KA1 visited.

Harveys seem to have a lot of houses for sale but a large number of them are over $100k and thus gross yields are very low.

We have had our first frost for the season and the nights are becoming much cooler. Have had the heater on a few times now.

Regards

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi peter

Westan and Muppet, if you are so cocky confident that the prices will inflate in Tokoroa when we come to town and that you are sitting on some houses you wish to unload or purchase to quickly turn-over for inflated prices, why on earth are you putting off the very market that you think will buy those houses, in a forum that has been established by those people????

my comments were jokes about buying in tok to sell, i haven’t bought any properties in tok and at this stage don’t plan to. Let me give you some background. Peter i’ve been on this forum since back in 2002 and if you followed my threads you would be aware that i was buying in NZ well before nearly everyone on this forum. In early 2003 i was telling everyone else on the forum to buy up big in NZ (i wasn’t the only one saying this), i made it very clear that i was selling my Aussie properties to buy in NZ, i then moved to NZ in dec 2003, In all i’ve purchase over 25 properties in NZ. But the market has nearly doubled since 2003 and i have actually started selling properties in NZ sold 10 in the past 6 months. I have no problems with you guys coming to NZ to buy. In fact i think you will find that many from your previous trip asked me advice before they got here, which i was more than happy to give. BUT I’m well aware that many people come to NZ and pay too much for properties, i speak with agent often, i get out priced by buyers often (by people who don’t know the market and pay above market). You guys just need to be aware that you are paying prices for homes that no one else has ever paid. So be careful make sure that you are not one of those.

regards westan

We find cash positive deals showing 15-25% Returns in the USA email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of ayenayen
    Participant
    @ayen
    Profile photo of ayenayen
    Participant
    @ayen

Can anyone point me to a website where I can get statistics on vacancy rates and rents (by town).

My map of NZ currently has 29 stick pins in it of towns that meet my criteria and I want some more data to whittle down my list![wacko]

Andrew

Profile photo of aussieinvestoraussieinvestor
    Participant
    @aussieinvestor

Muppet and Westan,

Thanks so much for your constructive replies. These are certainly more appreciated than the ‘jokes’ that seemed to humour those on the program or the program itself.

You guys certainly have a lot to offer those on this forum, as you are in the perfect position to pass on your experiences of investing in NZ and answer the many and varied questions the participants will have.

There’s plenty of work in research ahead and I’m sure all participants will appreciate any support you may be so willing to provide.

Cheers…Peter

“It pays to stick your neck out”

aussieinvestor | Digital Revenue Pty Ltd
    http://appliancewhiz.com
    Email Me

@muppet

Hi Ayen

The web site you posted covers these towns
    Cambridge, Edgecumbe, Huntly, Kawhia, Kihikihi, Mangakino, Matamata, Morrinsville, Ngaruawahia, Otorohanga, Paeroa, Pirongia, Putaruru, Raglan, Taupiri, Te Aroha, Te Awamutu, Te Kuiti, Tirau, Tokoroa and yes Tokoroa is listed.
    However the average price shown in the graph is no reflection on the prices being obtained in Tokoroa especially for investment property.

There is no web site that I know of giving up to date information on vacancy rates for towns as the situation can change very rapidly.
    To obtain this information contact property managers in the respective towns you are interested in. There are three in Tokoroa.

As regards rents being obtained for all areas of NZ try the KPI Magazine and the NZ Property Investor Magazine.
    Also try this site:
    http://www.dbh.govt.nz/housing/tenancy/Market-Rent/market%20rent%20region.asp
    This site is updated about the middle of each month.

Regards

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Peter

Sorry if my comments offended those involved with the program, i should be more aware of how my comments will be interpreted. I really do want you guys to do well, so all the best with the trip. Try to take some time to enjoy the wonderful scenery on offer in NZ. Don’t be suprised that the agents don’t blink an eye lid about you being Australians, real estate agents speak to so many of us that they are starting to pick up our accent.

i look forward to the feedback on what you guys picked up. One last comment, while i’m struggling to get enthusiastic about the NZ market in General, there are great deals about and the market in NZ is so much better than Australia’s

regards westan

We find cash positive deals showing 15-25% Returns in the USA email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Morning all,

All that I can offer anyone going on the KA2, is perhaps to put on your contracts “subject to valuation”. It will cost you about $400, but may save you $1000’s.

Peter you may not be interested in anyone elses help, so this is for the others that may get taken advantage of.

Regards,
    Del

http://www.nzpropertytogo.com

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

Hi to all who have posted here.
    after a general read through the thread, i can say that I am really excited for the opportunities that the KA2ers will have in New Zealand in July.
    To clarify that though – I don’t necessarily refer to the huge buying opportunities that may be around – its a very different market to when many of us started back in late 2003 early 2004 in NZ.
    I have just finished a week in NZ with a new investor to the market here. We looked right accross the market from 65K homes in smaller towns to off the plan developments in big cities, subdivisions, buy and holds, renovators, shipping houses onto the section, building new kitsets, whatever.
    the biggest learning opportunity for K my friend, was that each of us has a very different style and need to find that, find what will work for you personally.
    We haven’t purchased anything this week – 12 towns and no 10% yeilding properties this week, unless you make them out of opportunities – there haven’t been any places where we have been able to walk in and look at the pictures on the wall of the agencies and see 10% properties.

I also add my caution here as well:
    many investors do know that Kiwi Adventure is happening, and I am certain that properties will be put to the market specfically in expectation of your arrival KA2ers.

Here is an example from KA1: house purchased by a kiwi investor for 53K was sold to a KA1er for 65K three weeks after settlement by the kiwi investor.

there are definitely lots of opportunities but like Del said Caveat Emptor!!

In my own personal investing life, the biggest opportunities have indeed come from networking and sharing – i have been able to share in a much bigger investing world by sharing than if i had stuck to my own little world – and I have friends for life for my troubles!!!

have a great time planning and preparing for KA2 and go forward knowledgeably and with excitement – this is your time and opportunity to grow and rebuild your own ideas and mindsets – have fun!!!

Cheers

CastleDreamer
    NZ Investor
    http://www.nzpropertytogo.com

Profile photo of aussieinvestoraussieinvestor
    Participant
    @aussieinvestor

Cheers guys

Your comments, honesty and enthusiasm are certainly appreciated.

Thank you.

Peter

“It pays to stick your neck out”

aussieinvestor | Digital Revenue Pty Ltd
    http://appliancewhiz.com
    Email Me

Profile photo of iansians
    @ians

What an interesting thread. As an attendee at the gathering last Friday I reckon it was fantastic to meet up with a group of like minded people who were keen to hit the ground running. Hopefully next time the cafe won’t be closed :-)

In the last few days from the meeting and the thread it is obvious that we need:
    1. To do our homwework
    2. Develop our own plan and strategies.
    3. Probably hone our negotiation skills.
    4. Make sure the numbers work.
    5. And most importantly make some new friends and have some fun.

It is interesting to consider, as some have suggested, that 25 potential investors might have a impact on the property market of a country.

Thanks to all who have put their thoughts on this forum and particularly to Pete, your insights were much appreciated.

Bring on July.

Ian

Profile photo of millsymillsy
    @millsy

hi guys,
    Glad to hear the meeting went well. I actually came in the door friday night and saw that the meeting was on. Rushed down to knox but unfortunately didnt recognize anyone with a black folder (or something like that) hanging around borders or coffee club etc!!!

see you guys on the thread and look forward to the next meeting. hope all is well,
    millsy

Profile photo of kerwynkerwyn
    @kerwyn

Hi All
    Couldn’t agree with you more Wilandel about subject to valuation clause. If anyone buys a property with out getting it valued has rocks in their head.
    I had a real estate agent only yesterday say to me that you don’t need a valuation clause and that if you know houses as good investor does you can see if they are good or bad. I told her, well not “this little black duck” I don’t buy houses with out one and was she insinuating I was a bad investor. She wasn’t amused and wrote it into the contract.
    Kerwyn

Profile photo of kerwynkerwyn
    @kerwyn

Hi All
    To anyone who is worried about the vacancy rates in any town you visit, simply go into the RE agent and ask if you can rent a house, but don’t tell them you are investors. They will only be to happy to tell you what they have. If they have a list as long as your arm like Tok and Invercargill then you have to make up your mind if it is the right town to invest in.
    I was in Te Kuiti 2 weeks ago and they had a list of people looking to rent a house. I couldn’t find any thing there at that time that met my strategy but it could be different when the KA2 gets there. One tip for Te Kuiti make sure you calculate the rates into your figures. Te Kuiti has to be the dearest town for rates in NZ, nearly double that of Tok.
    Kerwyn

Profile photo of aptamaptam
    Participant
    @aptam

I am heading over there soon, but not on KA2…

The problem I am anticipating when asking for rentals is having them pick my aussie accent, then change tack and tell me nothing is vacant :)

thats just me being cynical…[cap]

Profile photo of redfishredfish
    @redfish

Hi,

This KA2 thing, to whom is it targeted ? It looks like from the forum that it is for people just getting started -is that a fair assumption ?

Also, we have heard from the people that did well at KA1 – but what about those who did not. Were there any of them ? and what were the reasons they didn’t meet their goals ? .. might help others to avoid the same problems.

Redfish
    [cap]

Be encouraged to run the race

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Hi Guys.

At the same time as castle dreamer was in NZ on the ground and couldn’t find a thing, I *finally* got to contract a great yielding property in a suburb of a town expected to double in population within 2 years. (yes I have that in writing, but it is not yet published yet – but it will be!)

Yeah – heaps of problems (where do I start!) but
    for 70k down odd, under valuation, 4 months to settle and I can make a 200k upside in that space of time, it is SO worth the trouble to sign it up (took me a month – don’t ask!) and the trouble to get it sorted (I.E. what I’ll have to do to earn that 200k!- don’t ask!).

The cheapie high cashflow deals, well every man and his dog is after those. get in line!

And if you find one, make an offer, and don’t muck around and waste time and second- guess and dilly dally – grab it, get it off the market, pronto! Or else someone else will by the time you’ve decided it might be a good deal after all.

what the clients on our list don’t necessarily know when we elegantly present 20-30 pages of a neatly signed up cashflow positive property to them complete with 50-100 photos, title, rental assessment, etc etc etc- is the amount of rottweiler-like wrangling, haggling, nagging, persistence, back-up offers, negotiations, schmoozing, driving around, photographing, faxing,and generally WORK that goes into getting a good deal signed up.

also they don’t necessarily know that for any deals we got, there were several offers we put in for deals we didn’t get.

So my advice would be – if you see a deal, put a contract on it and get it OFF the market so can investigate it properly, as soon as possible.! make the most competitive offer you can. As bird dogs, we of course have to have due diligence and this and that and fax and assignment AND a good price, but you guys – you can make cleaner offers.

so go get ’em!

cheers-
    Mini

@muppet

Hi Guys

Mini said

I *finally* got to contract a great yielding property in a suburb of a town expected to double in population within 2 years. (yes I have that in writing, but it is not yet published yet – but it will be!)

Wouldn’t be in the North Island would it Min?

Somewhere north of Taihape?

Regards

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.