All Topics / Help Needed! / How to create a win-win situation for this?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner
    Originally posted by kimtruong81:

Ok, just rung Centrelink, they said she can have up to $78,000 (cash value) before she will lose the pension. This $78,000 is all up whether a portion be invested in shares or other property. Also, the market value of her own home needs to be less than $150,000 if she is to receive the full pension.

She’s not allowed to sell the house extremely below value is she?

That sounds like a good idea skippygirl, i’ll have to investigate further.

Hum I would like to know the name of the person that gave you such load of bull dust over the phone.

Let’s see:
    If the pensioner is single and a home owner, she can have $149,500 in assets, that counts all assets including home content, car, money in the bank etc. before it affects the pension at all Assets over this amount will reduce pension by 3 dollars per fortnight for every $1000 above the limit, cut off point is $306,250

The valuation of her own home, providing she lives in it and does not have a curtilage over 5 acres is totally irrelevant, 10 millions would not affect her pension.

If she sells the house she inherited for less than its market value, she will be deemed to have received the full market value; the full difference minus the allowable amount of $10,000 will be assessed as a gift to the buyer and will stay in her record for 5 years.

The income from the property (or any other source combined) is assessed separately and the test that allows paying the lowest amount of pension will be used.
    Income of $120 a F/N will not affect the pension (single $212 for couple) Income over this amount reduces the pension by 40c in the dollar, cut off income is $1295 per F/N (single, $2164.50 couple)

Despite popular belief that to have assets or income for a pensioner is a “problem”, simple maths tells us that the pensioner is better off if he/she has a part pension reduced by an income producing asset.
    It is unfortunate that some pensioners go to the extent to dilapidate life savings only to achieve the ultimate goal of acquiring full welfare eligibility.

I suggest to always checking with your local Financial Information Officer in Centrelink, make an appointment don’t consult over the phone. They are trained professionals and unfortunately most accountants are either outdated or misinformed on the subject, (some honourable exceptions excluded of course)

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

Marc is spot on of courses. He gave me advice about the very same subject a little while back and since then I have studied the centrelink homepage.

The reason I couldnt simply phone up and ask them my questions was because, just like kim, you can never be sure of getting correct information. Indeed I challenge anyone to ring centrelink 3 times and ask them the same question. Guess how many answers you will get?

This ol lady could legally rent out her investment house for $1200/fn and still be eligible for pension benefits, ie free health, travel discounts, rates and electricity discounts…etc. If after the means testing, she is only receiving $10/fn from centrelink why should she care. $1200/fn is a far cry from the full pension benefit of $464/fn.

Just as an aside, I am able to work fulltime up to ten weeks and still receive pension benefits. Ok i wont receive any $ from centrelink but its the discounts and benefits I like to maintain. I can even manage to own 3 houses and very soon a unit also. And no I don’t exceede the asset test.

Now youre all jealous and hate me! naa naa naa .

One other thing this lady might consider is annuities. She could sell the house at market value and put the money into annuities. If she is really really quick and gets in before sept 2 she wont pay any tax. As others have said, get her to a financial advisor NOW
    cheers
    milly

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Perhaps the lady could sell the house to you with vendor finance. Essentially she would allow you to pay it off over a period of time (say 20 years) with no interest on the payments. This means that your payments to her are capital repayments on the sale of an asset, and not income (like rent).

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of Mama2MiaMama2Mia
    Participant
    @mama2mia

i think meeting someone in Centrelink is a good idea as opposed to taking their word for it over the phone……the suggestions you’ve all made sound great and i will explore all options….will let you know what centrelink says.

many thanks to all

kim

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi all,
    just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, lets consider this lovely old lady sells the house at full market value, gets cut off from the pension (boohoo) has one hell of a good time for however long it takes to spend the sales profit (which would be all the $$ less commissions and taxes) and at the end comes back to earth to join up for the pension again.
    Flamin heck, I’d hate to have that problem!
    Hawaii here I’d come,…. I’ve been interested in the South of France,…. Bon Jour….

Frivolity asside, I like Marcs sugestion best. Sounds like he knows what he’s on about. This lady needs the right guidance. If she has family, then a win-win situation would also include them, wouldn’t it?
    Even if you don’t get the house, you will be blessed by helping her out! Betcha.

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You have to be careful with information you get over the phone from Govt departments (and banks?). Years ago the was a guy at the tax office who would be telling people they could claim things that they couldn’t-just because he couldn’t be bothered looking it up.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of skippygirlskippygirl
    @skippygirl

Felicity,

That was the solution I posted too.

Marc, you seem to be the most expert – how would Centrleink view the extended capital repmt situation if she sold the house?

E.g. she sells for Full Market Value (there you go Kay H) say $150K, 5% deposit = $7,500 then $7500K per annum for 19 years paid as monthly instalments? Or $15K pa for 9.5 years, whatever.

Cheers
    Skippygirl:))

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Sorry skippygirl, that’s what happens when I scan a thread fast because I have to get my son to school…

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

kimtruong81,

Why not have her vendor finance it to you.

You could organise the payments to be under her pension threshold so she gets her full pension.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

– Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

I would just like to say one more time that you should be vary wary of anything that anyone from Centrelink tells you. Insist on seeing it in writing before making any major decision.

I’m not sure what goes on at their call centres but I have asked the same question four seperate times and recieved four different answers. In the end the guy I dedided to believe quoted a document and reference number that stated “xyz” is the case. Strangest thing is that he asked me not to tell anyone that he had given me the reference details of where to find the appropriate rules relating to my question…

My husband’s pet name for Centerlink is “Morons’R’Us”. Simply because of the conflicting advice that they have given us on so many issues. Don’t get me wrong we are lucky to live in a society where so much assistance is available. It is just scary that you could loose that assistance by believing what someone at their call centre tells you.

Cheers
    Sonja

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.