All Topics / General Property / Quantity Surveyor question

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of MarkyMarkMarkyMark
    @markymark

Hi all,
    I was wondering how to properly use a Quantity Surveyor. As far as I understand it I pay them to come out and itemise everything and then from that I can claim depreciation? Are there any other benefits? Does it matter when I do this? Do I still want it with older houses? How much would I expect to pay them? Any other points or comments greatly appreciated?

Thank you in advance

MarkyMark

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You probably hsould do it with an older house. Some companies guarrantee to save yuo more than there fee (www.depreciator.com.au I think). Cost varies from $300 to $1000. Some are better than others, so watch out.

You probably should get them to come out as soon as your purchase, but they can do it so you can claim and amend the last 4 years tax returns.

As a guide, one of my clients purhcase an older style unit (red brick type, no pool or elevator) and he was able to claim an extra $4000 per year! So well worth the effort.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Prop16Prop16
    @prop16

“You probably should get them to come out as soon as your purchase, but they can do it so you can claim and amend the last 4 years tax returns.”

Terry, does the above also apply to new apartments? (settlement day might be the beginning of next month)
    Or can it wait till the end of the financial year?

Profile photo of KewlDudeKewlDude
    @kewldude

Hi Mark,

I use deppro & I’m happy with their service– http://www.deppro.com
    The reports cost approx $400 (from memory)

I agree with Terry, do it as soon as you purchase the property & defiantly still do it with older houses. I’d always have a schedule done – it makes claiming depreciation easier.

Cheers
    Kym

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Why not leave it,
    and book the service for May, then put in your tax return after financial year, two weeks later ( [:D] )*hopefully* get $ back..

Why do asap..?? when you can’t claim untill end of financial year

Curious

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Just a few points to help the discussion.

Deppro charge $440 (GST inc – without travel) for their QS reports and they will give you a detailed 40 year report. Be aware that Deppro are a little limited in their capacity to travel and as such there may be a travel cost included depending upon where your property is.

Having a report compiled as soon as possible after settlement enables you to apply an accurate adjustment to your wage and salary taxation rates immediately under section 15.15 of the tax act rather than waiting for the end of financial year. This is certainly more relevant for those investors who buy negative geared property or to those who want/need to maximise their cashflow through taxation deductions.

By way of an example we bought a 13 year old property for $109K last year and a Deppro report realised total depreciation claims (plant and equipment and capital allowance) of $42600 over the remaining 27 depreciable life years of the property.

As a comparison a new $148 property we bought realised $126000 of depreciable claims over the 40 year depreciable life of the property.

Renovations can add to the amount of depreciation available to you – and if you are contemplating undertaking major renovations then it is wise to get a depreciation report done so that you can maximise your claims when you through out those items of some value.

Derek
    [email protected]

Profile photo of TeacherK6TeacherK6
    @teacherk6

Hello,

I heard the word “Quantity Surveyor” tossed up every now and again, and didnt really take much notice, but after the recent discussion on this post i would like more info please.

1) Is it a standard thing to back date tax deductions
    4 years if they find that u still had stuff to claim?

2) I didnt actually realise that they personally inspect the property. how long does the inspection take, what info will they need to know on the properties background before doing the inspection

3) if they charge between $300 and $1000 dollars per property, whats the price difference pay for? what do u get at the end of the inspection?

4) is the cost a tax deduction?

5) my accountant always claims some sort of deduction on the property i have for depreciation, will the QS do a better job at finding every cent that i can claim?

6) My portfolio has 5 properties, 3 houses, a villa and a unit, ranging in purchase price from $144k to $52 k 2 are in sydney, 1 in dubbo, 1 in bathurst, 1 in cowra. will it be hard, or cost more to get a QS the the reigonal parts of NSW? all properties are over 20 yrs old… some are renovated, some have been freshened up by myself… would the services of a QS still be worth my while?

Anyone recomend a QS that they are happy with???

Thanx for your help. all info apreciated :)

Jason [:)]

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

AIQS.com.au
    Australian instutue of Quantity surveyors

have a look, phone a few up, ask qesdutions about benefits etc.

I found one on there that offered to do three properties on the same day, travel included for either 1000 or $1200, I cant recall exactly
    I was to provide a schedule of fixtures and fittings.

elves

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Originally posted by TeacherK6:

Hello,

I heard the word “Quantity Surveyor” tossed up every now and again, and didnt really take much notice, but after the recent discussion on this post i would like more info please.

1) Is it a standard thing to back date tax deductions
    4 years if they find that u still had stuff to claim?

2) I didnt actually realise that they personally inspect the property. how long does the inspection take, what info will they need to know on the properties background before doing the inspection

3) if they charge between $300 and $1000 dollars per property, whats the price difference pay for? what do u get at the end of the inspection?

5) my accountant always claims some sort of deduction on the property i have for depreciation, will the QS do a better job at finding every cent that i can claim?

6) My portfolio has 5 properties, 3 houses, a villa and a unit, ranging in purchase price from $144k to $52 k 2 are in sydney, 1 in dubbo, 1 in bathurst, 1 in cowra. will it be hard, or cost more to get a QS the the reigonal parts of NSW? all properties are over 20 yrs old… some are renovated, some have been freshened up by myself… would the services of a QS still be worth my while?

Thanx for your help. all info apreciated :)

Jason [:)]

Jason

If there are tax deductions that you have missed out on (for various reasons), then you can legall amend your tax returns for up to 4 years.

I don’t think they need to know much, you just send them out and they list all fittings and determine the value. It would help if you could give them some background. The whole thing should take about an hour.

There are many different companies. smome are more professional than others and charge accordingly. Some companies have been know to get things incorrect (eg Kitchen cupboards – are they part of the building or a fixture). The rules are changing all the time.

If you are audited and have only relied on your accountants estimates, then your claims will probably disallowed. Is he a qualified QS? Has he even seen the proeprty?

If you have many proeprties you may get a discount, but would have to use a big company (they may subcontract the work out in the country areas). I think it would still be worthwhile to give them a call and sus them out about your older ceahper properties.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@derek

With respect to accountant doing your depreciation claims.

Below is a transcript of the tax ruling TD94/D67 . . .

. A deduction is allowable under section 124ZH in respect of qualifying capital expenditure incurred on the construction of, or an extension, alteration or improvement to certain income-producing buildings. Section 124ZG defines qualifying expenditure to be the actual capital expenditure incurred in constructing, extending, altering or improving an eligible building.

2. In circumstances where a taxpayer is genuinely unable to precisely determine the actual cost of the building, it is accepted that an estimate of the cost of construction by a quantity» «surveyor or ‘other independent qualified person’ may be used: see paragraph 19 of Taxation Ruling IT 2640. However, some doubt has arisen as to who will be accepted as a ‘qualified person’.

3. It is considered that a qualified person is someone who has expertise in the calculation of the original cost of construction and who would be likely to be accepted by a court or tribunal as an expert witness on the issue of calculating the cost of construction. That expertise may have been acquired through a course of study or relevant experience in providing building cost estimates over a significant period of time.

4. The attainment of relevant professional qualifications or recognition by an appropriate professional association or organisation would be indicative of expertise in this field.

5. Unless they are otherwise qualified, valuers, real estate agents, accountants and solicitors generally have neither the relevant qualifications nor experience to make such an estimate.

6. Appropriately qualified people might include:

· a clerk of works, such as a project organiser for major building projects;
    · a supervising architect who approves payments at each stage in major projects and who may approve individual payments to subcontractors in smaller projects;
    · a builder who is experienced in estimating construction costs of similar building projects; or
    · another person who is suitably qualified or has experience in providing estimates or costings in similar building projects.

7. The onus of proving that a person has the required expertise rests with the taxpayer. That will be an issue of fact in each case.

Derek

[email protected]

Profile photo of SpotSpot
    Participant
    @spot

Hi
    Quantity surveyors are experts at determining the cost of construction and of various items of plant and equipment within the building. They are not however experts at interpretation and application of the tax law. This was blatantly obvious in a Property Investor article last year written by the manager of a QS firm in which he was unhappy that the ATO had not allowed deductions for various items such as Kitchen cupboards. If he took the time to read the ATO rental property guidelines it clearly states that kitchen cupboards along with a list of other items form part of the capital asset and therefore cannot be depreciated in their own right. Someone who is claiming to be an expert in the field of tax law should at least read the basic guidelines. You should ensure that you take your QS report to a knowledgeable accountant who can go through it and ensure that you are not claiming items which are specifically disallowed in the rental properties publication. Don’t forget if you are subject to an audit by the ATO it is YOU who will pay the penalty for incorrect claims NOT your accountant or your Quantity surveyor.
    AMS

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Yes, but AMS the laws were changed only recently stating that the kitchen was now part of the building. I think it’s crap also. Who DOESN’T renovate their kitchen at least once in 40 years?

Jason, I would definitely consider getting a QS to look at your properties. Probably one who will give you a money back guarantee, or double money back as Terry suggested. They will tell you from the outset if it is worthwhile. It’s better than your accountant, as the QS can pick up lots of things your accountant wouldn’t know – especially not having seen the place.

Prop 16, unless you want to get your tax back on a fortnightly basis, I wouldn’t do my QS until June (in fact, I still haven’t done some that I need for tax 02/03 year) so that you can claim it as a tax deduction in that year.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of TeacherK6TeacherK6
    @teacherk6

Thankyou very much!!

I have looked at the web sites, i will start making the fone calls tomorrow :)

cheers,

Jason [^]

Profile photo of james_2james_2
    @james_2
    Originally posted by KewlDude:

it makes claiming depreciation easier.

I’ve been led to believe that ATO requires you to have a report from a proper QS if you are to claim depreciation on anything other than the building (ie fixtures and fittings). You should check this out.

btw I also use Deppro (about $440) and have been happy with them.

Profile photo of SpotSpot
    Participant
    @spot

Hi Melbear

What do you mean the law has been changed? The law does not define the specific items that can or can’t be depreciated. That is determined by the policy of the ATO. If there has been a change in policy I am curious when this occured because I was looking at the 2002 Rental Guideline and it was not allowed back then. I remember that the article said there had been a change, but I don’t know that that is correct.
    Just curious if you know when the change occurred and where you got that information from.

Thanks
    AMS

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

AMS, OK, it may not have been a law, but the ATO definitely changed the rules.

Probably for the 01/02 return as that’s the last return I’ve done.

Kitchen cupboards, shower screens, I think mirrored wardrobes(?), and quite a few other STUPID items are now deemed as ‘part of the building’ by the ATO, and therefore only depreciable at the 2.5% building depreciation rate. Crock of s**t if you ask me.

Do a search on the website, or ask any QS or accountant who deals with property.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of tonyy21692tonyy21692
    @tonyy21692
    Originally posted by TeacherK6:

Hello,

Profile photo of tonyy21692tonyy21692
    @tonyy21692

Hi TeacherK6

Cost is deductible

We use and recommend clients to BMT

Also, no one has mentioned the sting in the tail when you come to sell the property and the tax treatment of Div 40 & Div 42 deductions.

Steve, at the Nov 03 Sydney reckons it’s recouped and not eligible for the 50% discount. Our tax advisers Hayes Knight reckon you ” apportion the sale price accordingly” what ever that means. Nowhere on the ATo site is a worked example.

Regards
    Tony

@derek

Hi all,

Bear in mind that many (all?) QS had made common interpretations based on a previous ruling TR 2000/18 and used this ruling to guide their depreciation claims contained iwthin their reports.

It was a tribunal decision that overruled the previous ruling (Woodward Case) relating to the classification of switchboards, kitchen cupboards security screens, pool and spa equipment etc. and the definition of various clauses and words in the relevant tax act.

We need to understand that taxation rules are primarily guidelines until they are challenged (by the ATO or a Taxpayer) and a ruling made (sometimes after appeal). It is this process that finalises what can and cannot be claimed.

API editions (Feb/MAr & Apr/May 2003) discuss the rulings and debate some of the issues surrounding the ruling. Worth a read.

On a related matter I would recommend people do use their depreciation reports to improve their cashflow by reducing regular pay period tax. It all combines to make for a healthier cashflow. Just don’t go spending the extra money in your pay packet on ‘trinkets’

Derek
    [email protected]

Profile photo of MarkyMarkMarkyMark
    @markymark

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Regards,
    MarkyMark

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.