All Topics / Help Needed! / What to do with inheritance…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of boshieboshie
    Participant
    @boshie

Hello,

I’m so confused and want to make sure we start our investment portfolio the best way possible, right from the start.
    Here’s our current situation:

My partner & I have young 3 kids.
    One property in Sydney recently valued at $930k. Current mortgage $559k. Currently tenanted at $820/week. We have a 3 year Fixed Rate Investment Property Loan due to expire July 2016. Fixed interest rate is 5.29%pa. Interest only loan. No offset account. (We were advised by our bank that for an offset account to be of benefit to us, we would need to have a minimum of $50k in the offset account in order for our monthly repayments to be less than that currently charged for a fixed rate loan). Current monthly repayments are $2,513.

No credit card debt

Partner earns $140k
    I earn $70k

We live in a company house with no water/gas/electricity bills. Only pay $80/week rent.

Only have $15k savings in our bank (I know that’s bad… unfortunately we lost our business and had major health issues/bills :-( but all good now :-)

Both aged in our 40’s – me 46 and partner 44.

About to receive an inheritance of $150k.

So many questions… So little knowledge…
    Our goal is to build a healthy investment portfolio and are aiming to buy a property every year for the next 10 years.

Should we be dumping the $150k inheritance into our current investment loan… Should we be looking at changing our loan…. Should be think about a trust account to use as deposits for future investment properties (however I know nothing about trusts…).

Or any other thoughts would be sooooo valuable.

Thankyou :-)

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Boshie,
    I just posted this for another new reader – take a look:-

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/general-property/4349450

That takes you through some VERY useful “first questions (and answers)” and could answer some of your questions straght off. You look to be in good shape and a bit of careful thought, and not rushing into things, that inheritance can likely change your life markedly.

Stick around, read on, ask more questions, meet other investors, then plan your attack (set goals). And welcome to this special place,

Benny

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Well if you are unfamiliar with property investment or just investments in general. I would read up about the topics that interest you. By the fact that you earn jointly over 200k I would just avoid renovations. If you have the financial capability you can do something that leverages people’s time better. Property development for example, subdivisions.

A few $10-30 books by some of the bigger names in property investment are going to give you a background of the different aspects.

Sometimes fixed loans will not let repay over a certain amount per year. Ie only allow $10k extra to be repaid every year. So that is something to look Into. As might restrict the dumping of that money onto your IP.

My thoughts are that you could comfortable use that 150k to buy either. 1 – 600k property at 80 percent LVR
    Or 2 300k properties at 80 percent

If you have the ability to stay at 80 percent LVR from a risk point of view it would be better.

Trusts could be useful in your situation with 3 kids. As you are still able to distribute small amounts of income to young kids. Although under $500 now. Over a long period that could be a lot of additional money. Please see a accountant regarding trusts. The most common trust you would use would be a family discretionary trust.

Make sure you buy undervalued properties in ok to good locations. Look at transport routes. Close to public transport or lifestyle assets is going to critical for properties in the future. Ie baby boomers retiring to the beach locations or young professionals who don’t to own a car cause of the transport options.

Cheers wilko

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Plus you have to acknowledge that you will never be able to make the best possible start. You should though make a start and you will learn and become more experienced through repetition and practice.
    You should however aim to not lose money.
    Don’t buy a over valued brand new home in a fringe location that won’t see any growth for the next 10 years besides CPI

Profile photo of boshieboshie
    Participant
    @boshie

Thanks for your replies, I was hoping for a bit more input from any other professionals out there pleeeeez?

Profile photo of Kinnon BellKinnon Bell
    Participant
    @kinnon

When you lost your business and had health issues did you keep up to date on your financial commitments or did you credit history take a hit? That’s one thing I would want to know first as depending on the outcome it would depend on the course of action.

Not sure what sort of input you’re wanting from the professionals? Are you wanting people to recommend houses for you ie a Buyers Agent, or advice on structures or on loans? You’ve been given some good advice from the posters above. As everyone’s situation is unique it makes it very difficult. If you ask me, the best way to go about things is to educate yourself then seek professional advice where needed. No-one knows your situation like yourself.

What’s your risk appetite like? Using the $150k you could go 90% LVR’s and be quite aggressive or err on the side of caution and have lower LVR’s. Can you afford to be negatively geared? Do you want to be? Do you want CF+ properties? What’s your end goal? Exit strategy? Will you want a PPOR eventually? When you say healthy portfolio, what is healthy to you? $2m, $5m, $10m? What do you want your portfolio to consist or? Did you want to factor your kids into the equation? A house each for when they’re older? What will happen in the event of divorce, TPD or death?

The above are just a few things off the top of my head – so as you can see, there’s a lot to consider if you have not already.

Kinnon Bell | Kinetic Funding
    http://www.kineticfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage & Personal Loan Broker based in Cairns and Melbourne but servicing clients Australia wide.

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

boshie,

Key to getting started is to have an investment strategy, this way your actions will line up with your income, lifestyle and age. However I do understand this is way easier said than done. One important thing is working out where you are trying to get to, then heading in the right direction is way easier.

Just like the old saying “If you don’t know where you are going, then any road will do”.

Work out what resources you have to work with i.e How much time (years to retirement and hours in your week) and how much money (cash in the bank and how much you save each year). Renovating is not for everybody or even profitable every time, so look at your options.

Workout how you plan to finance your 1, 2 & 3 purchases, this can change but you have to start with a plan.
    You have accessible equity of around $185,000 in your house, plus $150,000-ish in cash, theres the possibility of 2 or 3 investment properties there to start with.

Think about how much you will need in retirement; $1000pw, $1500pw… Knowing what you are aiming for will help you build the right investment plan to get you to your goals.

Think about risk, be very weary of going over 80% loan to value ratio across your whole portfolio, it’s a bucket load of extra cost. As well as extra risk you can live without as you get older.

Look at the property type (Product) you are going to use as your investment vehicle; Units, Houses, New, Old… Do you wish to use tax depreciation to add serviceability to your debt.

I like to start by working out a property investment plan in this order; Strategy, Product, Location. One leads to the other, get them the wrong way around and the tail wags the dog.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Consider post ddeath testamentary trust – s102AG ITAA36.

It would be good for asset protection and you may be able to divert income to children who could then be taxed at adult rates.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.