All Topics / Overseas Deals / Japan.. is collapse inevitable?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

You've made a lot of points so I'll deal with them linearly.

Quote:
    It’s far more likely that the Japanese Yen will depreciate strongly for a while – as it has done in the past – without any major implications for the economy as a whole long-term – only to rise again when appropriate corrections or global market forces allow it to.

The Yen will not depreciate strongly because competing CB's won't let it least of all the FED. The BOJ has repeatedly tried to devalue its currency over the last 5 year with little to no success. We're in a currency war so scrap that idea.

Quote:
    The same links also claim that yen depreciation, for instance, is exactly what's needed now to re-ignite export (something that Australia, for all its merits, hasn't worked out yet, btw), with which I completely agree.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein.

It's been a few years now. When are you guys going to figure out this strategy isn't working only making things worse.

Points you make about Abe's policies;

Re-engage with China. Obviously sensible but it'll take decades to mend that fence and restore business activity to anything like past levels. The Island ownership debacle was a catastrophic error in diplomatic relations.

Public works programs. The fall back/old faithful policy of struggling administrations trying to stimulate local economies. The problem with these initiatives is that exacerbate the debt problem not alleviate it.

"printing money till the cows come home", which you wrongly suggest japan has been doing"  I can come up with about a million links from the BOJ and related sources explaining this to you if you wish but I'll leave you with just one.

BOJ's money printing is offset by households' cash hoarding 

Renewable energy initiatives. These things always sound great on paper but rarely pan out as expected. The Japanese energy sector is considered highly corrupt. The competing forces within this sector will ensure things don't go as planned. To top it off the government needs to pump bucket loads of subsidies into this initiative just to keep it afloat. I expect to see the same problems there as experienced here in Australia.

Quote:
    the approach you try to perpetrate, as if there is a singular "magic wand" that someone can wave to make things better, and Japan just hasn't found one yet,or has tried all magic wands to find that they don't work, is a very black and white oriented view of economy

It's pretty simple Ziv. If you spend more than you earn you'll go bust. If you borrow till the cows come home and manipulate the books with fuzzy accounting you can extend and pretend for a while but at the end of the day your creditors want their money back.

Quote:
    You say you don't believe xenophobic Japan will allow more immigration – fortunately you're plain wrong.

Am I. Here's the reality regarding immigration in Japan. Thirty years ago they were calling for the relaxing of immigration restrictions. Over that time their immigrant population has grown to a little under 2 million or less than 1% of the population. the lowest in the world. Immigrants are 90% un or low skilled people doing jobs the Japanese won't. In 2009 they were paying immigrants to go home with a big 'don't comer back' stamped on their visa.

Nationality/Number/Percentage

China (PRC) / Taiwan (ROC) 655,377   29.6%

South Korea / North Korea 589,239       26.6%

Brazil 312,582                                        14.1%

Philippines 310,617                                14.0%

Peru 59,723                                               2.7%

United States 52,683                                 2.4%

Thailand 42,609                                         1.9%

Vietnam 41,136                                          1.9%

Indonesia 27,250                                        1.2%

India 22,335                                                1.0%

United Kingdom 17,011                              0.8%

Nepal 12,286                                               0.6%

Bangladesh 11,414                                     0.5%

Canada 11,016                                            0.5%

Malaysia 7,910                                             0.4%

Others 141,440                                            6.4%

Total (as of 2008) 2,217,426                      100%

Most immigrants are work visas. Loose your job = go home. Some estimates suggest immigrant numbers have declined post GFC and more recently Fukushima.

While Japan may modify its immigration policy, immigration is unlikely to change significantly while a culturally xenophobic prejudice is allowed to go unchallenged. Their constitution declares all are equal but in practice their laws don't. The idea that a few tax breaks and relaxed immigration will somehow fill the void left by a dwindling population is almost laughable if it wasn't so serious. How do you attract foreign business to your country when your own companies are leaving. There are simply way too many better opportunities for foreign businesses than Japan. The reality of the situation is that a relaxed immigration policy isn't the solution for an exodus of Japanese companies.

Some other points about more bullets to fire;

Robotics. Read this http://www.ifr.org/industrial-robots/statistics/

Nothing extraordinary there. Predicted growth rates of around 5%pa for the next few years

Electric cars. ??? Electric car start ups are going bust left right and center. They need massive subsidies to survive

Ziv I understand that governments and politicians are creating/developing initiatives that the public see as attempts to correct the economic mess they find themselves in. But in all reality it's little more than window dressing. The fact remains that until sovereigns address the overspending issue you can raise taxes, print money do what ever you like but the problem will always remain, an increasing debt burden will bust you in the end.

The solution is to spend less than you earn and eliminate debt by righting it off. Painful as that may be it will happen anyway. The longer they leave it the more painful will be the cure.

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    zmagen wrote:
    Incidentally, here are a few of the things the Japanese people, as opposed to government and BOJ, will most likely do, ………….

just a few more of the "bullets" in the Japanese arsenal for bad times, if and when they hit – there ARE alternatives to the "mad max" scenarios.

Japan isn't unique in its ability to cope with hard times. There's interesting stuff going on in Greece, Spain and Portugal as their economies turn to dust.

What's with the mad max, apocalypse, Armageddon descriptors? How economies cope and the people within them will vary from country to country. Some will experience total ruin and the worst things that that brings. At the other end the smart cookies will make a killing. The thick end of the wedge will be at the bust end unfortunately. Whether countries descend into civil strife even war remains to be seen. I don't see things going well for middle eastern and African countries. Europe's problematic. Plenty of civil unrest there and we aren't even near the end game yet. The US will be interesting. South America – hope we don't go back to the old days of military dictatorships. By and large I would expect that most western countries will stay relatively stable while they work through this.

Unfortunately history shows us that economic collapses are often followed by war. Here's hoping we don't go down that path.

Blocked
    @freckle

Stop taking things personally. The same type of behavior is evident throughout the world. NZ's and Australians seem to have particular issues with Indian students and immigrants. Aborigines cop a flogging from everyone. Some deserved but much of it not. I don't deny it exists nor do I get offended when someone points it out. 

Interestingly your reaction is reflected in international opinion of Japanese culture. Japanese have no problem criticising others but have difficulty accepting criticism directed at them. They don't like to have their shortcoming pointed out. 

I/we had Japanese students for several years. Some of the best guests I've ever had in my house. Always found them to be lovely people. The only thing that ticked me off was when they left. Had a habit of balling their eyes out as if they were being ripped from their mothers breast. I didn't think I was that loveable.

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

This was a reply to your "government and BOJ can't do a thing" argument – it was meant to show that there are far more ways to drag a country out of difficult financial times without relying on governments and central banks.  First and foremost, the Japanese can (and will) stop consuming like crazed rabbits, should the need arise (and it hasn't yet, because things aren't nearly as catastrophic as you portray them to be). If you look at what companies, individuals and organizations have been doing to compensate for the drop in power supply that the nuclear shutdowns have forced on them, you'll see a fine example of this – http://www.nippontradings.com/japan-real-estate/lesson-in-leadership-japans-bosses-sweat-it-out/

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Participant
    @zmagen

And it is exactly because this racism exists everywhere (in Japan, if anything, its as toned down, non-aggressive and non-violent as racism can get, even when it does occur), that using this blog as an argument in a financial debate is ridiculous. I'm not taking his criticism personally, he's entitled to his opinion – and like he's experienced X, others may have experienced Y (as I have). What I'm in hackles about is your attempted use of his subjective experience to implicate an entire culture and an entire country's financial future. As mentioned, you're clutching at straws.

Incidentally, I'd love to hear how you've reached the confusion that "Japanese have no problem criticizing others"- from my experience, they're among the most conflict averse, respectful and mild creatures on the planet…can't even say "no" to a dodgy salesman without apologizing about a hundred times in the process, so your observation strikes me as the complete opposite of everything I know about them. 

Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Participant
    @zmagen

What makes you think there is a dollar in buying Yen now when it's clearly loosing value against the AU$

Jap economy is nearing the end of its ability to borrow internally. It will soon be forced to borrow internationally at higher interest rates. The end is in sight for the Yen as we know it. Japanese currency collapse is now seen as real possibility.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @zmagen

Having serious issues with this new forum interface…would appreciate if the moderators could delete those last nonsense comments ("Enter" refuses to work in this screen, for some reason posting instead of line breaking – doesn't happen in any other website). I'll type my reply in a text editor and paste it here later… 

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @zmagen

Discussion 1 –

Quote:
    What makes you think there is a dollar in buying Yen now when it's clearly loosing value…The end is in sight for the Yen as we know it. Japanese currency collapse is now seen as real possibility…

And yet, here you write –

Quote:
    The Yen will not depreciate strongly because competing CB's won't let it…

Can’t have it both ways, Freckle, and change reality whenever it suits you, at least not three days apart and in different posts on the same forum…make up your mind, which is it?

Quote:
    Re-engage with China. Obviously sensible but it'll take decades to mend that fence and restore business activity to anything like past levels…

Pure speculation, based on not even one single fact. I actually think the course taken by both parties (DPJ going nationalist, LDP going apologetic), actually gave them far more room to maneuver, and was necessary machismo faced with China's escalating bullying and Sheriff playing, while at the same time giving the masses a chance to wallow in pride a bit, which will now enable both countries to reach an agreement without too much opposition from within. Any other course would have caused far more damage, in my opinion, and this one actually has the best chance of resuming business as usual within a reasonable timeframe. Also pure speculation, but certainly no less valid than yours.

Quote:
    Public works programs…The problem with these initiatives is that exacerbate the debt problem not alleviate it.

Quite correct when dealing with public works as a single measure, and un-necessary ones at that. Here, it's part of a whole arsenal of moves, as mentioned, and these works are sorely needed to reconstruct and create jobs in devastated areas (mentally and physically), prepare for the next natural disasters (like the "smart cities" initiatives – http://www.nippontradings.com/japan-real-estate/japans-greener-disaster-ready-smart-cities/), and integrate women and seniors into the work force – all of which Japan desparately needs to do, far before it can hope to tackle its debt problem (which, again, I really don't think is the only measure of an up and coming financial collapse – but more on that below)

Quote:
    can come up with about a million links from the BOJ and related sources explaining this to you if you wish but I'll leave you with just one…BOJ's money printing is offset by households' cash hoarding

Again, that cyclic logic. You can't claim the Japanese spend too much and hoard too much at the same time. The truth is that they do a fair amount of both, as does any other country in the world, and when they tighten up because things will get rougher at some stage, as they always do anywhere, they'll compensate by starting to spend some of those savings – the "sharp spike" scare theory sober look is trying to sell here is an extremist's version of completely normal market movements over extended periods of time. Whack any two graphs on top of one another and you'll be able to prove the exponential increase in tap dancing is a direct cause of the blue sperm whale becoming extinct. Come on…

Quote:
    Renewable energy initiatives…Japanese energy sector is considered highly corrupt. The competing forces within this sector will ensure things don't go as planned. To top it off the government needs to pump bucket loads of subsidies into this initiative just to keep it afloat. I expect to see the same problems there as experienced here in Australia…

Except that these aren't the same companies we're talking about here. The renewable energy sector is not composed of and does not involve power companies, but corporations like Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Mitsui, Hitachi, Softbank (Japan's biggest mobile carrier), Nippon Steel and even struggling Sharp, who have already spent tens of trillions of yens (hunderds of billions of dollars) on these initiatives. The reason they did so is because the Japanese people, for the first time in several centuries, have spoken against their government's policies, and not only internally, but internationally as well – to belittle the significance of this turn of heart and compare it to the wishy washy initiatives we've experienced here in Australia is to be blind to reality. This isn't a "fad", it's a revolution for a country like Japan, and to think it can be easily diverted off-track when companies of this magitude have comitted resources of such magniture is not even speculation, it's more akin to blindness.

Quote:
    If you spend more than you earn you'll go bust. If you borrow till the cows come home and manipulate the books with fuzzy accounting you can extend and pretend for a while but at the end of the day your creditors want their money back…

Yes, except that Japan is nowhere near the end of its ability to borrow or lend to itself internally, and it's mentality and culture allow for the vast privately held wealth that's still contained within it to continue this for a fair amount of time. It's also no fuzzy acocunting or sleight of hand – it's a sense of deep obligation that'll keep the money coming. Similarly, as illustrated above and as I'll continue to illustrate below, Japan's capacity to earn more than it's currently spending, or to spend less than it's currently earning, is far from ending as well.

Quote:
    While Japan may modify its immigration policy, immigration is unlikely to change significantly while a culturally xenophobic prejudice is allowed to go unchallenged…

Not quite sure what you're on about there – Japan is one of the easiest countries in the world to open a business in, purchase assets in, etc. It's true that it hasn't allowed nearly enough immigration in so far, but all that means is that is has so much more room to do so without any fear of losing anything in the process. And again, the fact that it hasn't acted already on what the world seems to think it knows better than Japan that it needs to do is fine in my book – their calculated and paced approach isn't supposed to please other countries – it's supposed to serve their own purposes, in similar fashion to maintaining a zero interest rate policy.

Quote:
    Robotics…Nothing extraordinary there. Predicted growth rates of around 5%pa for the next few years

No, I'm actually referring to personal/household service robots, not industrial robots (ageing population, remember?) – more like 150% (http://www.ifr.org/service-robots/statistics/, scroll to bottom graph), and guess who's spear-heading the charge – http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/eastasia/view/1232822/1/.html

Quote:
    …Electric car start ups are going bust left right and center. They need massive subsidies to survive

Toyota and Nissan aren't exactly startups. Do some more reading. In any case, time will tell on this one too.

Quote:
    The solution is to spend less than you earn and eliminate debt by writing it off…Painful as that may be it will happen anyway. The longer they leave it the more painful will be the cure…

We're in complete agreement on this one – it's just that I think the picture you're trying to paint, as if Japan is doing nothing of the sort, is very far from the truth, and extremist, to say the least. Hope all of the above shows why. In any case, certainly not the "inevitable collapse" you're alluding to – far from it. The first predictions to Japan's financial collapse were made some 15 years ago, and still haven't come to pass. Yes, Enron looked good before it fell too – but you'll need a bit more than speculation, chronic pessimism and fear mongering to convince me, or some of the world's biggest investors, who have been specifically targetting Japan's property market since last year, that this is going to happen anytime soon. While Japan may experience some fluctuations and downturns, as any economy might, particularly in the current economic climate – your predictions are only that – speculations and predictions, and in my opinion, way, way off the reality charts.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

Most countries are going through a difficult time 

but what matters the most is how you handle the situation

some people will thrive and some people will get crushed

even when times are good so many people get crushed

allot of people don't have any form of fincial education  

thats the real problem 

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Blocked
    @freckle

What makes you think there is a dollar in buying Yen now when it's clearly loosing value…The end is in sight for the Yen as we know it. Japanese currency collapse is now seen as real possibility.

I'm talking about you buying yen as it falls (and while the BOJ makes a concerted effort to weaken the yen)… crazy. Now the BOJ is going to monetise Euro's for the ESM. As if their own debt pile isn't big enough they're going to add more to it. Somebody must be getting something out of this. I can only go by your posts but your timing seems to be somewhat premature. 

The Yen will not depreciate strongly because competing CB's won't let it.

The BOJ will and is trying to devalue. Other CB's will counter. Last ten years. They were doing ok in keeping the yen competitive up until the GFC where they got absolutely smashed. They managed to claw it back fairly quickly but then other CB's got into the 'lets play silly buggers with our currencies' game and ever since its been a cat and mouse game of sea sawing currency madness.

The above chart screams correction to a stronger yen then the cycle will start again. There is no way the other CB's will let the yen get away from them. Their problem now is that the yen might be seen as a good buy and push the yen back up. I suspect the yen carry trade will also jump at this opportunity.

I think you're oversimplifying the China dispute. This isn't like the last few bingles these guys have had and sorted fairly quickly. This one's much more protracted and there's no real sign anyone's backing down to any great extent. Japan's taken a pounding on this one and I don't see any easy or quick resolution to this dispute. Until it's resolved once and for-all it'll continue to fester and flare up for some time yet.

I still see it as a massive diplomatic fumble. When ever it gets reduced to this level of antagonism (and that's putting it mildly) you can hardly describe it as anything else. From where I'm standing Japan's coping the worst of it.

China-Japan Dispute Takes Rising Toll of Top Asian Economies

Japan Times tries to talk up Japanese prospects in China

When you describe the public works schemes and other diverse range of initiatives you seem to paint these as measures that will pull Japan back to a more financially stable position. On the contrary. While they contribute to economic activity and disasters like Fukushima provide an opportunity to rebuild with more modern technology and more productive efficient systems they don't in themselves solve many of the problems Japan faces financially. Disasters hurt the bottom line and require substantial financing to rectify. The replacement infrastructure may be better but at the end of the day there's a lot of red ink on the ledger that needs to be ameliorated.

There's a theory in economics that touts the value of destruction through war, natural disaster etc as benefit economically in that it stimulates business activity and is therefore to be welcomed. It gets debunked regularly as incorrect.

Again, that cyclic logic. You can't claim the Japanese spend too much and hoard too much at the same time.

You're deliberately misrepresenting the article. It indicates that consumers will hold currency in a deflationary environment because it gains buying power. Opposite to inflation. You're well aware that every economy has spenders and savers. Most CB's including Japans are trying to push consumers to spend when they've already spent too much. The BOJ is trying to avoid deflation which most consider to be more damaging than inflation (because the BOJ like other CB's wants to inflate at least some of debt away). 

So on the one hand you have an economy that's obviously been overspending and living beyond its means for decades but elements within the populace who are holding on to their hard earned a little longer than the CB bureaucrats would like.

Good luck on the energy thing. If the Japanese get it right they'll be the first in the world. I won't hold my breath.

Yes, except that Japan is nowhere near the end of its ability to borrow or lend to itself internally.

I think you're in the minority there and its exactly that mind set that prevents there ever being a sane sound approach to economic management. Kyle Bass, who's a pretty switched on cookie by all counts, has already indicated the Japanese bond mark has about 3 years before things go pear shaped. I suppose they'll do what the ECB and Fed are already doing and that's monetising their own debt. As far as I know it's never been done successfully for any length of time. When they get to lending to themselves you'll know your real close to going belly up.

The first predictions to Japan's financial collapse were made some 15 years ago,

Financial mismanagement is a bit like gangrene. If you get it early the consequences are fairly mild – a toe a finger maybe. Let it go thinking things will come right and you risk loosing limbs. Fail to cut deep and back enough and your life hangs in the balance.

Back during the Asian Crisis Japan went to the brink. It's banking system was collapsing. To head off total collapse the BOJ stepped in and used public funds to guarantee debts and recapitalise its banks. To this day its never recovered and the past decades have been dubbed 'lost decades'. Japan's problem is that it's had to fend off 2 collapses in the past 20 years or so. In 89 it was literally flattened. It seemed to recover from that with strong exports and an equally strong currency. There were those who predicted collapse and by 97 Japan was on the floor again. Its foreign reserves enabled it to hold after that hit. 

Today reserves stand at US$1.3T while its debt is on track to hit US$14T by March 2013. Debt (govt) to GDP has increased from 50% to 200% over the last 20+ years. The question now is could Japan take a 3rd hit and survive given the problems are magnitudes bigger, global in nature and Japan has a weaker economic profile and outlook than on previous occasions. 

The vultures are circling and the shorts are in. The market smells a corps in the making. It'll be interesting to see how Japan escapes this one. If past collapses are any indication it won't be pretty.

If you and I were neighbors and we were both standing on our roofs with hoses watching a bushfire come our way you'd say, "wind'll change".

Me. I'd say, "might do". Then get in my car and bugger off because I only rent the place and I moved my stuff out the week before because someone said, "good chance we'll get a bush fire up here this year. Too much fuel around and good fire conditions."

Participant
    @zmagen
    Quote:
    buying yen as it falls (and while the BOJ makes a concerted effort to weaken the yen)… crazy…somewhat premature…

Ok, we've gone from "dancing on the edge of a cliff", to plain "crazy", and finally to "somewhat premature". Or, in other words, Freckle wants to buy at the bottom, and anywhere else has too much risk for his delicate palate. Well, guess what, the only way to identify a bottom (not that such a thing even exists on the long term, there are only respective peaks really, with market forces being cyclic), is once it's passed and starts heading up again. To follow through with your logic means never buying or selling any currency – but that's just not the way it works with foreign exchange. You buy at point X, don't sell until things go back to >X, and in the interim try to make that money work for you in the new environment, until such a point in time when you can take it back to Y with profit (that is, unless ALL YOU DO is Forex, and you try to capitalise on every tiny little movement – not my cup of tea, but there are also those who make nice fortunes doing exactly this, and i don't judge them.

As mentioned (far, far) above, my type of investing is not something you'd want do with funds you may need liquidated in a hurry, but property investment, fortunately, is not a hurry game, so no problem there. When I purchase yens, I know I can afford to wait, whether it's 1, 5 or 10 years, before I'll need it back, if at all, so no issue there. While it's in yens and things are down is usually also the best time to buy property at good prices, so win-win all around. Different to your "sit on it until conditions are optimal", I know, but it takes all sorts, and that's fine with me too. I prefer to be more active and hedged, so I can utilise conditions in Australia, Japan or anywhere else I may be positioned, as they happen – you prefer to sit on your gold and silver and AUD and wait for that super duper prime optimal scenario before you act – both fine approaches by my criteria, btw, so I suggest we leave it at that.

Quote:
    …up until the GFC where they got absolutely smashed… They managed to claw it back fairly quickly…ever since its been a cat and mouse game of sea sawing currency madness…

That's your perspective. Mine is that this is pretty normal play for a world that's becoming more globalised by the day – you fart in Australia, and the dollar drops three points in the US, etc etc – again, if you wait for things to "stabilise" it might be your grand-grand-children, up on the Martian colonies, who may be able to invest in a single, stable, uni-galactic currency like "in the good old days". I prefer to move a bit earlier than that, for better and worse, but we're rehashing the same argument as above, seriously, let's just leave it at that, why don't we?

Quote:
    …I think you're oversimplifying the China dispute… no real sign anyone's backing down to any great extent….

Again, plain wrong – http://nation.time.com/2013/01/03/japans-not-quite-so-nationalist-leader/- I think you're mixing up Pre-elections rhetoric with post-elections pragmatism. Look again.

Quote:
    When you describe the public works schemes … you seem to paint these as measures that will pull Japan back to a more financially stable position…they don't in themselves solve many of the problems Japan faces financially…

Never said any of the above, read back and you may notice the parts where I said these are one of a whole arsenal of strategies in the mix, and also the part where I said Japan's an expert at turning challenge to opportunity. Don't extremize (just made that word up) my arguments to make them sound like what you'd like to hear me say, just so you can try to appear neutral and paint me as an extremist – that's demagoguery at its most basic and easiest to refute form, you're smarter than that.

Quote:
    …You're well aware that every economy has spenders and savers. Most CB's including Japans are trying to push consumers to spend when they've already spent too much…elements within the populace who are holding on to their hard earned a little longer than the CB bureaucrats would like…

Thank you, that's exactly what I said, and exactly the reason why this "sharp and immediate spike" the article threatens won't happen – because there's a dynamic balance here between what the CB wants consumers to do (spend) and between what Japanese people's, particularly those of the older (ageing) population tend to do so much better than Westerners do (save). In that respect, Japan's ageing population is actually a boon in disguise – their increasing numbers mean that the more the younger generation buys designer handbags, the more they're being offset by the increasingly older population's refusal to spend. Again, a healthy balance in my book.

Quote:
    I think you're in the minority there and its exactly that mind set that prevents there ever being a sane sound approach to economic management. Kyle Bass, who's a pretty switched on cookie by all counts, has already indicated the Japanese bond market has about 3 years before things go pear shaped…

Ah, that I would have a dollar for every would-be, switched on cookie of an analyst who's predicted Japan's demise "in 3 years" for the last two decades or so. And again, as mentioned above, you sit on your hands and funds and wait for it to happen while hoarding your savings – I'll try to capitalise on things as they pan out. Different approaches, both viable. Can we call it a day now?

Quote:
    … It seemed to recover from that with strong exports and an equally strong currency… The question now is could Japan take a 3rd hit and survive…

Not in my view. In my view the question is how hard the inevitable hits on global economy (and there is more than just one additional hit coming in the next decade or so, I'm guessing) will affect Japan, how prepared it will be, and what measures will be taken before, during and after those hits. I have faith in Japan, you have faith in no one, I have willingness to ride things out with them when they happen, you have willingness to do nothing and put your money nowhere near any economy and stash it all under your mattress – again, both legit, let it go.

Quote:
    If you and I were neighbors and we were both standing on our roofs with hoses watching a bushfire come our way you'd say, "wind'll change".

Me. I'd say, "might do". Then get in my car and bugger off because I only rent the place and I moved my stuff out the week before because someone said, "good chance we'll get a bush fire up here this year. Too much fuel around and good fire conditions."

No, I think it's more that I realise that there's no similarity whatsoever between physical jeopardy and well-hedged, distributed investments in a variety of vehicles. I'm happier to try and capitalise on events if and when they occur, but won't let the potential or hint of any possible downturn stop me from being alive and trying to make the best of the world around me in the interim. Beats sitting in the dark and crying "wolf" till one of the myriad of wolves comes around (US, Europe, Japan), just so I can say"told ya so" and feel all good about myself. I prefer to lead a bit more of an active life, but maybe that's just me.

Seriously, man, can we call it a day now? We've moved from facts, to speculation, to pure philosophy…this has got to be getting boring for people (myself included). Can't we just agree to disagree?

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

ROFL…. come on Ziv. You can't give up now. Dummy spits don't become you and I think you're way too intelligent for that even though I think you're bordering on paranoid delusional when it comes to Japan. (/sarc)

So lets summerise. I think the probability (but not absolutely conclusively) that Japan is gone for all money if it can't get its house in order.

You on the other hand have absolute faith in Japan's ability to pull the fat out of the fire and drag this thing along to eternity.

You invest in small inexpensive (relatively speaking) properties in the main with healthy (by PI standards) returns. 

If I was going to live in Japan for the rest of my natural I have no problem with this strategy as far as property investing goes. As a foreign investment though the risk is extremely high with regard to a stated policy of currency devaluation and a somewhat difficult economic environment both locally and internationally.

So where do I see opportunity?

Well I'm not really a property guy anymore. Been there done that and thought there must be better ways to turn a buck than spend half a lifetime leveraged to the eyeballs trying to build a property portfolio based on rental returns that with a bit of luck may provide me with some economic freedom in the distant future.

Given that I see the economy as a basket case and getting worse I looked a bit harder at the Japanese social dynamic and the crumbling nature of their social fabric. Problems I was able to identify that offer opportunities were;

• household income is back at 1988 levels and still declining
    • suicide rates are horrendous at (globally) 2nd highest for women and 8th highest for men leaving them at 6th overall
    • homelessness continues to increase (currently 30,000 and rising)
    • homeless tend to be male (96%) and over 55
    • 2nd layer of homeless called cafe refugees who tend to be temp/part time workers who buy accommodation at internet cafes by the night. A 3rd of all temp/PT are in this category
    • PT/temp workers earn 40% less than FT workers
    • unemployment continues to rise and sits around 4% (I suspect its actually higher in real terms)
    • 2.5million elderly are indigent. That rate increased 183% in 10 years (1995 -2005) and is probably considerably worse now
    • household saving rates have collapsed since the 80's. Japan once had the highest of any OECD country. They are now below the OECD average and falling.
    • cost of cram schools creates barriers to the those below the poverty line
    • those falling below the official poverty line continues to increase. In 2007 poverty was measured at 15.7% or 1 in 6
    • Capsule Hotel Poverty. Capsule hotels used to be casual accommodation for those who missed trains etc. Today you can rent these on a monthly or long term basis and are increasingly popular among those who cannot afford deposits and bonds etc.

Now I'm not familiar with the cost of things over there but my instincts tell me that the low cost temp accommodation market offers opportunities. It appears to be a growth market if past trends are anything to go buy.

Ziv you're the resident expert so would this be a feasible business operation?

Blocked
    @freckle

PS: Its a good thread Ziv. It gets on average something like 350 views a day last time I looked (vain I know). Hell man it's almost a best seller in forum terms.

Blocked
    @freckle
    Ziv wrote:
    Pure speculation, based on not even one single fact. I actually think the course taken by both parties (DPJ going nationalist, LDP going apologetic), actually gave them far more room to maneuver, and was necessary machismo faced with China's escalating bullying and Sheriff playing, while at the same time giving the masses a chance to wallow in pride a bit, which will now enable both countries to reach an agreement without too much opposition from within. Any other course would have caused far more damage, in my opinion, and this one actually has the best chance of resuming business as usual within a reasonable timeframe. Also pure speculation, but certainly no less valid than yours.

Yes… China and Japan will once again be happy chappies very soon. Not I think

Chinese Military On "High Alert" After It Scrambles Fighter Jets To "Counter" Japanese Jets

• At a press conference, an official with the ministry confirmed that China sent two J-10 fighters to the East China Sea after a Y-8 aircraft was closely followed by two Japanese F-15 fighters as it patrolled the southwest airspace of the East China Sea oil platform on Thursday.

Japan tracer bullets will bring war closer

• …..the Japanese government is considering permitting Japanese self-defense forces' fighter jets to fire tracer bullets as warning shots against Chinese surveillance planes which have "infringed" upon Japan's "territorial airspace" over the Diaoyu Islands.

I get the distinct impression this just isn't going to end well.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi.

I am not much of an economist so cannot comment on the above, but generally… I went to work in Japan in 1990 right at the top of the boom. I was making huge amounts of money doing average jobs. Now I am a NAATI qualified interpreter and have 2 children going to Japanese public schools. My family also owns a few houses in Osaka.

I would never invest in Japan. Not in real estate and not in shares. Not even in business. I just returned from Japan last week and the shops are still busy with people buying still, but prices haven’t gone up in 20 years. Japan is extremely cheap to live. $4 for a sit down meal in a restaurant in Osaka CBD for example. Housing is cheap, rent is cheap, cars are cheap. It is cheaper to shop in Japan than it is in Thailand. I buy all my clothes in Japan even though I stop in BKK on the way back. Off the top of my head I can’t think of anything that is more expensive than in Australia.

There is a restaurant near my house, it has about 10 customers per day if that. About $8 per meal – how can they make money? Its been like this for years. And there are many shops like this.

A few trips ago I went with a client (all expenses paid) who wanted to purchase a helicopter. We travelled around to many aviation companys and I was surprised with the number of Chinese working there. They speak Japanese and English and are infiltrating major businesses. In Tokyo in one of the kings cross type areas I was constantly approached by Chinese prostitutes on the street. I thought I still had it when I was approached by a young sexy girl asking me in Japanese to go for a drink – only to realise she had an accent and it turned out she was Chinese and inviting me to a special bar.. Then I travelled up the coast to Nagoya and stopped at some smallish towns – more Chinese prostitutes. Lots of massage places too – probably staffed with Chinese female masseuses.

I was also surprised on one town to find a very large population of young south americans living there. Some signs were also in another language – possibly portugese. They are all immigrants and go to school there.

Japan would be a great place to retire too. You can rent a small house in the countrside for next to nothing. In Osaka around $1000 per month would get you a nice house – even less in the countryside.

Just some recent observations

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @zmagen
    Quote:
    …dummy spits don't become you…

Honestly, Freckle, I'm actually having fun this time,  (and yes, it was a good thread), but I really think we've covered all bases except the purely hypothetical, speculative points that we're not going to agree on…

Quote:
    … I think the probability (but not absolutely conclusively) that Japan is gone for all money if it can't get its house in order…You on the other hand have absolute faith in Japan's ability to pull the fat out of the fire and drag this thing along to eternity…

No, in similar fashion to your "probably but not absolutely conclusively", I also think that Japan, probably but not absolutely conclusively, is doing fine handling its problems, problems that's its well aware of, but simply handling them differently than what you'd like to see them do. Again, stop portraying me as an extremist and yourself as a well balanced, neutral individual. We have different views, but both have equally strong (or equally well-balanced, as you see fit) opinions on the subject, as far as I can see. Your speculation is based on your world view, mine on mine, both with some well grounded basis in facts. Not nearly as clear cut a scenario as you're trying to paint.

Quote:
    …As a foreign investment though the risk is extremely high with regard to a stated policy of currency devaluation and a somewhat difficult economic environment both locally and internationally…

Yes, you keep saying this, and it's probably true, but would read the same about half the countries in the world. This is an overseas property investing forum – the people here are usually aware of the risks you're referring to, and again, when considering the long-term approach that should come with property investing when it's practiced correctly, hardly as risky as you portray them to be. Also, as mentioned time and time again, if anyone's trying to make a "quick buck" through purchase, speculative "overnight" capital growth and a quick sale, then you're quite correct – but you've yet to show me where I advertised or recommended such an investment strategy. Considering the fact that most people here are into the US market, Japan DEFINITELY has more to offer cashflow-wise and with a fraction, if that, of the hassle and "get screwed trying" factors. If you want to discuss the risks of investing in property overseas, foreign currency exchange fluctuations and/or the hazards of the current global economic climate, go for your life, but this has nothing to do with Japan specifically, so the thread title is hugely misleading.

Quote:
    …Well I'm not really a property guy anymore…

QED. And you spend a huge amount of time and effort trying to tell people on an overseas property investing forum they shouldn't be property persons either. We get the point, man. Really. If you read through some of the less logical and more emotional posts here, particularly from Emma and Alex, who are really passionate about what they do (much the same as myself, except they write about it way better than me), you'll find some of the reasons we're into it so much – they may not appeal to you, and there may be things you enjoy much more and are much better at but, hey, it takes all sorts, and we love getting up in the morning and being challenged the way we do (plus, we're pretty darn good at it ;)) and no, it's not all about the money, passion and love play a part too (the money's pretty good too though, which leads me to your next argument –

Quote:
    …must be better ways to turn a buck than spend half a lifetime leveraged to the eyeballs trying to build a property portfolio based on rental returns that with a bit of luck may provide me with some economic freedom in the distant future…

That's a very narrow and subjective view of ONE particular property investing scenario. I'm no Donald Trump, but I do ok, and haven't borrowed a cent. As for luck – I don't believe in it, sorry – I do believe, however, hedging and diversity, long-term strategies, and positioning myself in such a way that turns opportunity to profit. See a few posts back.

Quote:
    … my instincts tell me that the low cost temp accommodation market offers opportunities. It appears to be a growth market if past trends are anything to go buy…

Quite correct, however, due to the areas and population involved, completely rife with organized crime left, right and centre. The net cafe's ("manga kissas") are the only relatively accessible niche of the ones you mentioned above.

Quote:
    …Chinese Military On "High Alert" After It Scrambles Fighter Jets To "Counter" Japanese Jets…the Japanese government is considering permitting Japanese self-defense forces' fighter jets to fire tracer bullets as warning shots against Chinese surveillance planes…

Agree, not pleasant, but give it a few weeks/months and I think you'll read about an emergency summit organized by the US or S.Korea (or both), and see a few reluctant handshakes and a freshly inked first draft of a solution document. Both nations have far too much to lose in this day and age. This isn't WW3 you're seeing here, get a grip ;) N.Korea shot a missile over Okinawa and Japan didn't go to war over it, just a short while ago – I hardly think they'll start with China – tracer bullets and water cannons are more their style these days – http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/25/us-china-japan-taiwan-idUSBRE88O02C20120925

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @zmagen

Yes, Japan has deflation, low prices, Chinese prostitutes (although, the amount of prostitution here compared to most other countries in the world is ridiculously minute), migrants and temp workers – and also $20,000 properties generating 10-15% Pre-tax return. What's your point?

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle
    TerryW wrote:
    Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that is more expensive than in Australia.

Jeez tell me about it. Old girl and I went down to the Mandurah waterfront for breakfast this morning. Two all day breakfasts (2 poached eggs, rash of bacon, a skinny sausage and half a fried tomato with toast) a tea and a cappuccino …$46!!!

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

If a collapse happens in Japan, what effect could it have on the Australian economy ?

Don't we export a lot of coal and beef to the Japanese ?

Participant
    @zmagen

Japan was still Australia's top trading partner in2010…not sure what the status is now. It's not just Japan though, if Asia contracts further, Australia will feel it big time.  That's why it's so silly to be a one trick mining pony like we've been for the past decade or three…

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.