All Topics / Overseas Deals / Japan.. is collapse inevitable?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Definitely not a brilliant discussion in  my book just a collection of miscellaneous comment with little context and partial truths.

For a start in 1997 the Asian Crises almost crippled Japan. It's banks were exposed and several large corporates where facing bankruptcy. One can argue the toss till the cows come home about how it was handled but Hashimoto was probably on the right track. Japan set the game plan on how to kick the proverbial can down the road. No one was prepared to take their medicine instead the corporates and banks would be allowed to suck the tax payer dry for the next few decades through bail outs and stimulus. 

For the best part of 20+ years Japans economic health has progressively deteriorated as credit expansion (debt) has been the preferred solution to cutting spending and living within their means. 

Whether Japan likes it or not austerity will eventually be imposed upon it by the markets. If 1997/98 was painful the next dose will be excruciating by comparison.

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen
    Freckle wrote:
    … just a collection of miscellaneous comment with little context and partial truths..

Yes, well, I felt the same way about many of the arguments you've put forth. I'm guessing this is mainly because we have quite differing views regarding the world, international property investment and Japan's place in both.

as mentioned, time will tell, I really don't think we're going anywhere with this.

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Ziv you are extraordinarily one eyed and parochial with regards to Japan. You counter fact with opinion and little else then defer to debunked economists like Krugman and chit-chat in the comments section of articles as somehow supportive of your position.

I don't dispute your investing strategy nor the fact cash flow and PM are optimal in a Japanese markets compared to others. A deteriorating or stagnant capital gains profile over the years and associated FX risk diminish this market in my opinion but everyone has their comfort zone and long game specific to their own circumstances. Everyone to their own in other words. 

I retain an interest in property from an academic point of view but don't invest time, money or energy simply because the returns are pitiful. I learnt a long time ago that you'll earn (within reason) the kind of income you target. If you think $1000/wk is good money and target jobs in that bracket that's what you'll earn. While targeting $20k/wk may be unrealistic $5k/wk isn't. And so it goes with investing. Small deposits, minimal if any liquidity, 10 x leverage and long payoff times with aggregate returns around 5-8% just don't get me excited. 

I invest in small business and the basic rules are;

• No more than $50k at a time 
    • capital back within 12 weeks from start of operations.
    • Overhead limit is 20% of gross.
    • Income growth must be exponential to expense growth
    • max 2 people to operate
    • hours must not average more than 30/wk
    • annual returns of at least $200k/yr

Learning how to do this took a lot of blood sweat and tears over the years. What I've learnt over the last 35 years is relevant to most forms of investing so in this forum I try to pass on a little of that knowledge. 

Humanity, human civilisation is entering a watershed moment. Population growth over the next 40 years will approach 9B, food demand is set to soar, water is already in short supply and forecast to become even more scarce, global warming is challenging food production along with water shortages and the most challenging of all will be the cost of energy as demand rises and supply contracts. That impinges upon a countries economic ability to cope as the cost of energy ripples through the supply chain and magnifies the problems.

We are at a cross roads now where these things are starting to be felt. GFC 2008 was a foretaste of things to come if we don't get our house in order and theres no real sign of that. If you think technology will save us then you're either uninformed or delusional. Technology has slowed our arrival at the inevitable not solved the problem as many would have hoped. Virtually all credible experts indicate we are behind schedule in our efforts (and falling further behind) to transition to a less energy dependent civilisation. 

Now I know you're thinking "He's all doom and gloom". Not so. The problem with most people out there and many on this forum is they look at the world as if the next 20 years will reflect the last 20 years more or less. They strategise about investing with that mindset in place when they really need to be thinking about what challenges we face and how can I take advantage of those changes/opportunities while avoiding the pitfalls.

Now given that property is considered a long term investment I have a problem with property as the most useful asset to be holding over this period when there are probably better options out there. As a percentage of an investment portfolio I have no problems but definitely not all ones eggs in one basket.

The future I see looks something like Japan. It's the poster boy for economic failure. 20 years of no growth in a booming global economy fueled by easy credit. If you can't correct your imbalances in times of plenty then what chance in times of global difficulty. We are in an era where we are stumbling from crises to crises but refusing to address the fundamental problems within our economies which lead to structural weakness and waste the few resources we have to correct the problems. Add food, energy and population challenges to the mix and the world is in for a tough time especially those in the bottom half socio economically.

So my preference is to stay as liquid as possible (I hold no assets other than personal items) and any asset I buy must be able to generate substantial ROI. I also stay as geographically mobile as possible. I can pick up sticks and move a household within a week if I need. I suppose I prefer to be cash rich asset poor as a means to cope with any challenges that may come my way. 

The only thing coming with me when I die are memories. I spend my money accumulating those in preference to tangibles and I'll be highly disappointed if I haven't consumed every cent of my accumulated earnings (and some of the banks if possible) by the time I kick the bucket. 

Participant
    @zmagen

Don't be ridiculous Freckle, go back and collate all the links to news items, opinions and statistics that I've posted into this lengthy discussion, you must be either senile or, as I suspect, simply ignoring the ones that don't suit your perspective – like in the case of renewable energy ("I don't believe it'll work" was your thorough analysis of the sector once you realised your assumptions about the major players in it were completely off the mark) or service/household robotics (simply ignored the new information and moved on), your response to facts that don't suit you are to either proclaim them to be biased opinions, rantings of village idiots etc (eg, anyone who doesn't concur with your views) or simply ignoring them altogether .

as for your investment strategy – as mentioned (again…???) – to each his own. To assume that you're the only one here who "collects memories" or "lives life to the fullest", is geographically mobile and free of physical attachments, or whatever other laurels you're trying to crown yourself with here, is the most arrogant and ignorant assumption you've made in this discussion to date. I won't even begin to argue with that one, since I think it's beneath both of us, except to say that, except for collecting, cherishing and enjoying the beautiful moments this life affords me, I tend to also try and leave something behind me, for my children and other loved ones to enjoy, be it memories, experiences, values, cash, assets, connections, or whatever other treasures they (and I) may cherish. And while I enjoy spending my acquired collectibles as such, I also greatly enjoy passing the riches I've accumulated, mainly mentally but also physically, to those who come after me, be it immediate peers or more distant ones such as my community, species and planet.

So like in investment, it takes all sorts. Enjoy your roller coaster of doom ride, man, I can see you're having a fab time and, while we tend to agree on what this world is generally steering towards, I also prefer to try and leave it a better place, in between the nihilism spasms and self gratifications and the righteous eye-rolling and throwing up of arms in exasperation at the foolishness of it all. give me a break, please. That last particular high horse was a bit too high for my tastes.

Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Blocked
    @freckle

Youch!!!   Ziv chill man you'll pop an artery. I'll catch you later… taking the old girl for Mexican shortly so I'll probably spot you tomorrow maybe if I get time Moding the ute and a trailer to take one of these babies…

Wahoooo!!!

Participant
    @zmagen

Nice…yeah, I better chill out, us parochial, eternal optimists are known to work ourselves into early graves through heart attacks (or bush fires we ignore, whichever comes first ;))

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of DGHayesDGHayes
    Participant
    @dghayes

Hi Freckle,

I like the way you use graphs in your articles to back up your arguments. Would it be possible to quote the source of these graphs when you add them to your comments so that readers can view the full articles that are related to the graphs you’re quoting?

Regards,

David

Blocked
    @freckle

Ok back for a few hours.

So lets address your complaint(s). Basically I ignore your supporting points.

Lets look at the magnitude of the problem first and I'll denominate this in USD terms so we can all get our head around it. Japan, like others, has a fundamental problem. It spends more than it earns. I'll repeat that …. JAPAN SPENDS MORE THAN IT EARNS. And again for clarity..JAPAN SPENDS MORE THAN IT EARNS.

It's done this for so long now (decades) that it's managed to accumulate the biggest debt in the world compared to income. It has a $14T debt serviced by a $5.8T income (and declining as of recent times). It spends 40% of revenue just servicing that debt and its one of the cheapest debts in the world (virtually zero interest).

Exports enable Japan to survive economically. It has no real tangible resources. It makes its living importing raw materials, value adding these and then selling its good into the worlds markets. Its a good business plan while the world is buying from you. Especially if global markets are growing in size (emerging economies) and value. 

So a little perspective. In 89 the Nikkei fell over taking property prices with it. That decline continued for over a decade and got a helping hand from the Asian Crises in 97. Things couldn't have been worse for Japan a triple wammy in many ways, property, stocks and then exports all got hit. The rest of the world was pretty much booming along on a credit fueled binge but poor old Japan just couldn't take a trick. The reality is though that if the rest of the world had been struggling Japan may well have fallen over then.

The end result was lots of debt and week balance sheets. Japan then progressed through what is euphemistically called the lost decade. Japan's problem is that it was never really able to recover its position. Instead of biting the bullet and taking some pain it chose what appeared to be the easy way out.. extend and pretend… kick the can. The theory then and still is today is that growth solves all problems eventually. Well Japan never really grew that much. GDP growth was always fairly anemic and inflation was held at sub 1% for the most part to reflect zero interest rates. 

So to summerise, Japan has huge debts, declining income and diminishing capacity to service its growing debt. In anybody's book that's a recipe for disaster.

So what has precipitated this thread is the fact that Japan's exports have taken a hit to the extent they now have export deficits. First time in 35 years. For an export dependent economy like Japans that a serious problem. The result of that is GDP contraction of -3.5% annualised over the last 2 quarters of 2012. That's not a contraction its a collapse in income. You rarely see contractions exceed -1% so -3.5% is about as serious as it gets.

Ziv you think I  simply dismiss your suggestions. Not true. I consider them then dismiss them as either insuficient or ultimately unworkable. For example you indicate Japan has a number of initiatives that it is using to resolve these problems and cite renewables as an example.

Heres the factual reality of that initiative. I use the term factual loosely because there are only (political/industry) projected figures and even they are extremely wooly.

Lets put those figures in to context. That's around $75 billion/yr over 20 years

We have a problem here straight away namely subsidies to enable an industry to exist. No where in the world do I know of any subsidised industry that produces a net benefit effect for an economy. 

Look at those figures. They are asking companies who now pay 14.59y to jump to as much 42y (depending on energy source). Note Japan is note considered suitable for large scale wind farms and that's the cheapest renewable source of all.

One of the big drivers of solar uptake among households is feeder tariff rates (subsidies really). In Aus they were so popular the state governments' had to stop the programs and then cap the feeder rates then ultimately put a time constraint on the feeder rates because they would have bankrupted the state treasuries.

It's early days but Kyushu has bought 830 MW but at this point only sold 5 MW. Not promising. Every one wants to produce but nobody wants to pay the high prices.

You could have a hundred of these initiatives and at they end of the day they still won't solve Japan's economic problems. The subsidies will add to debts. The economic activity generated may not generate sufficient taxes to cover subsidies. Japan has a problem competing with companies manufacturing equipment and technology in this space. It's a fairly crowded space so unless they had some kind of market advantage little will actually change.

These kinds of initiatives are simply politicians making themselves look like they're doing something constructive to keep the electorate happy. Economic reality is that nothing is changing. The same old causes and practices that preceded this problem still exist.

Japan is in its death throes. There is no real solution on the horizon that will save them. There is no other economy or even collection of economies that can backstop them. Every economic measure has been deteriorating for years ever so slowly. Things have started to accelerate over the last 6 months. You will see over the coming months ever more extreme measures to try and stabilise their position. By the end of 2013 I expect to see them on the ropes. It is not going to be pretty. They're going to throw another $225 billion into the pot. Australia will get a good dollop of that Japan will get zip ultimately. The idea that this stimulas package will generate 600 000 jobs is pure fantasy.

Japan approves $224bn stimulus package

The new measures approved by the cabinet aim to lift the economy out of recession and create 600,000 new jobs.

I'll leave it there for now. Next post I'll discuss your view that the Japanese are strong, resilient and capable of working their way back to prosperity and why that isn't really so.

Participant
    @zmagen

Sorry freckle, not ignoring you, just a very busy last week in Japan before flying off to Israel and Europe, running around like a headless chook atm. Will get back to this thread sometime next week, after I land and settle down at my next destination.

incidentally, I met with mr Roland Thompson, director of North Asia for Credit Suisse, for lunch yesterday, and he had some very interesting observations regarding many of the issues we brought up here (of course, with him not sharing your pessimism, you'll probably label him a village idiot too ;)) – I got his permission to quote him, in any case, (was thinking about you initially, but might make an interview down the track out of it and publish online) so I'll post some of his thoughts, as well as my own replies to your points, once I get my mind, jetlag and notes in order :))). Bear with me…

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

No worries. I'm kinda distracted as well. Family dramas!!   I'd be interested to hear his comments either way. Have a good trip. Don't take any wooden shekels. 

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Ziv, Terry long time no chat.  Freckle, hi and interesting to see your take on a few things.

I've been in the land of the rising sun for too long too remember.  How Japan manages to keep rolling along with its financial woes is just sheer amazement and contradictory to how we may expect things to go.  How long it can keep going on for is like the question how long is a piece of string.  When I first came here it was one hell of an expensive place compared to oz but as Terry has mentioned totally the opposite now.  Not going to get involved with facts and figures but like any place Japan is a country you can make money easily whether it be through real estate or other means.  Just remember to have an exit plan incase things go belly up.

Blocked
    @freckle
    Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Local Kyushu news, mainly Fukuoka, is highlighting the pollution coming across from China and issuing health alerts for the elderly, those with respiratory illnesses and children.  Freckle's there will always be those who can make money in troubled times and most of those are people with positives attitudes who tend to go against the 'norms' of things.  Japan may be heading for troubled times but with good due diligence there are rewards waiting in the wings.  For me it's time now to stand out in the garden and watch the dolphins play.

Blocked
    @freckle
    C2 wrote:
    Freckle's there will always be those who can make money in troubled times and most of those are people with positives attitudes who tend to go against the 'norms' of things.  Japan may be heading for troubled times but with good due diligence there are rewards waiting in the wings.  

I'm sure there is. That's never been my point though. More to the point is how do you preserve what wealth you have been able to create when politicians and bankers collude to relieve you of it at every opportunity.

Quote:
    For me it's time now to stand out in the garden and watch the dolphins play.

Not near the Kii Peninsula I take it.

Blocked
    @freckle

I know Ziv thinks things will all get nicely sorted out with China but the reality doesn't support that contention at this point. I have a sneaking suspicion that China is actually enjoying pushing Japans buttons. 1) a bit of payback for WII   2) to test the US resolve and   3) disable Japan economically. I don't see any love lost there at all.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-02-05/chinese-warship-prepared-fire-japanese-destroyer-last-week

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

The radar used is not the first time and won't be the last time.  These ships were around 3K a part.  Japan is used to these sort of situations with Russia but the main difference is both Russia and Japan would let the other country know by aerial observation.  China's foreign affairs and China's military don't have close ties and the incident may not have been reported by the military to FA, thus the lack of response by them to Japan.  Definitely think China is testing the waters but this may be playing into the hands of the USA as a reason not to move out of Okinawa.  Whilst on the subject of wealth Toyota is posting its first profit in 5 yrs thanks to strong exports and weaker yen.

Blocked
    @freckle
    C2 wrote:
    Whilst on the subject of wealth Toyota is posting its first profit in 5 yrs thanks to strong exports and weaker yen.

Its a bit of feel good rubbish to prop up Abe I suspect.

Some basic facts about Toyota. It doesn't export. It has over 18 production plants located in its major markets along with another 8 or so subsidised JV in largely 3rd world countries. My guess is that its accounting practices locate it's taxable income in the most favorable economies. I seriously doubt it holds much of earnings or wealth in Yen.

The Yen thing is a smoke screen. Over the last 10 years the yen has been high 8/10 and its latest profit was when the yen was high. It's productivity boost is more like due to stimulus in some of its major markets like the US. 

Japan's next challenge with a lower Yen is how it handles the input side. Tough in the bottom 1/3 of the populace who are either below (1/6) the poverty line or just above it.

Blocked
    @freckle

Here comes the pain…

Participant
    @zmagen

Wow, it almost looks like global economies have ups and downs, like any cyclic construct. Truly revealing. ;)

sorry, still in transit, promise to be back with a vengeance next week…thanks for keeping the thread alive, Freckle.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Freckle wrote:
    Here comes the pain…

Freckle, but what does it all mean?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.