All Topics / Overseas Deals / USA – Where to buy?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 166 total)
  • Profile photo of biggaz13biggaz13
    Participant
    @biggaz13

My proof reading needs working on!!!!
    In a previous post I said "There's massive junks of information on each city……"
    FAIL
    I should of said "There's massive chunks of information on each city….."
    None of the information is junk. It's all important. It's really a matter of what you place more importance on.
    Thanks.

Profile photo of wobblysquarewobblysquare
    Participant
    @wobblysquare

question is why are there lots and lots of houses for sale in cleveland? What is the job forecast there?
    – How did you determine that there is an excellent rental market? (website – vacancy by zip code?)

lots and lots of houses should mean good bargains now – but wont be much capital gain anywhere for a few years at least, so may not be a huge minus

Profile photo of biggaz13biggaz13
    Participant
    @biggaz13

Yes. There are bargains in Cleveland. Increased foreclosures have placed pressure on the rental sector as people are looking to rent a home instead of purchasing one. I read somewhere that over 50% of all properties in Cleveland are rentals. So there's high demand to rent your property.
    Cleveland's largest employer is the Cleveland Clinic which consistently ranks as the nation’s top cardiac care centre.
    Cleveland is (supposedly) an emerging area for biotechnology and fuel cell research with a huge emphasis on health and technology.

I read that since January 2010, Northeast Ohio has seen employment growth in its two largest sectors. Manufacturing employment which grew by approximately 8,000 jobs between January and June of 2010, while the service sector employment grew by nearly 48,000 jobs.

Eventually you get to the stage where you just have to bite the bullet or forget about it.  

Profile photo of morpheusbushymorpheusbushy
    @morpheusbushy
    biggaz13 wrote:
    Eventually you get to the stage where you just have to bite the bullet or forget about it.  

Agreed! You could study a city for months without ever knowing if it will definitely be a good investment or not.

Hopefully this bullet is not too far away for me :)

Profile photo of morpheusbushymorpheusbushy
    @morpheusbushy
    morpheusbushy wrote:
    Hopefully this bullet is not too far away for me :)

Whoops, minus the death part of course. Although.. I will be travelling to Texas soon……

Profile photo of bennyblancobennyblanco
    Participant
    @bennyblanco

morpheus thanks for you quick reply!! good luck. I’ll be checking in on your progress. I’ve read A LOT about Dallas – FW. My brain is going to explode. I imagine it will be great for you to actually get your feet on the ground there.

Profile photo of speedy gonzalesspeedy gonzales
    @speedy-gonzales

I have just returned from Dallas and I can tell you….all my months of research was justified. I am now the owner of two more US properties (in 30 days time anyway). The company I dealt with was fantastic and provide the refurbished properties and property management and the big one…finance for foreign nationals. I checked all the deals with someone else I knew who had access to the MLS so I could check on comparable sales in the area's and all come back good. Plus I have the benefit of knowing the banks will do their own appraisals. When doing the calculations using worst case numbers…I make over $800 a month after all taxes,insurances and loan repayments.
    PM me if you want the details of the company (not one of the Aussie Buyers Agents) as I don't think I can name them without the moderator removing the name for advertising reasons

Profile photo of sparkyozsparkyoz
    @sparkyoz

Hi,

These are the areas I focus on:

– Florida – Orlando, Jacksonville and Tampa
    – Georgia – Atlanta

I think it is important to focus on areas with strong demand and good long term potential.

Welcome feedback on these areas.

Regards,

Steve
    [email protected]

Profile photo of PropertyShopUSA.comPropertyShopUSA.com
    @propertyshopusa.com

Hi All,

Not Euro, Dollar, or Yen but the ‘Innovation’ is the currency of today’s global economy. Innovation fuels productivity, attracts investments, and stimulates economic recovery. The spirit of innovation is evident in Florida; as it is getting reputation of “Innovation Hub of Americas”. Let’s see why Florida is much more diverse than theme parks and famous beaches; and what reputed global researching firms say about it.

Among all American states, Florida:

— ranks 1st for business (The Chief Executive)
    — national leader for entrepreneurial activity (Kauffman Foundation)
    — business climate is among top 5 (The Tax Foundation)
    — ranks 3rd as largest state for hi-tech companies (TechAmerica CyberStates)
    — ranks 3rd as largest exporter of hi-tech goods and services (TechAmerica CyberStates)
    — ranks 4th largest CyberStates for hi-tech employment (TechAmerica CyberStates)
    — has one of the world’s most extensive multi-model transportation system
    — one of the only states which have a clear vision for long term future plans – Strategic Plan for Economic Development. Please ask us for a free copy.
    — workforce Ranks 1st on America’s top states for business ranking (CNBC)

*************** above facts are excerpts from US Federal and Florida State governments data. ***************************

Profile photo of MikeLewisMikeLewis
    @mikelewis

I think that real estate investment opportunities are growing nowadays in almost all major countries. I have a suggest you a best property for investment is USA in Tampa Real Estate is the best for a Property investment such a nice all type of property in Tampa Florida.

Profile photo of kevtraceykevtracey
    @kevtracey

Hi there,

My advice is to choose one or two markets and really focus on an extensive due diligence process.  If you're an experienced investor, you already know where you want to invest, for those just starting out, choose a house in a city that you would live in.  You may achieve smaller returns, however, there will be significantly less risk and stress.  Obvious things to look at are schools, crime rates, infrastructure, growth rates etc.  All of these really tie into the same philosophy – Are there enough reasons people would want to live in and/or move to a particular market.

My personal preference is sunny, safe and growing Tampa, FL.

-Kev  

Profile photo of DetroitDan9DetroitDan9
    @detroitdan9

Just a heads up for those Australians who are getting private based financing for their properties…most shops in the US who provide “financing” to Australians require a high down payment (which will usually cover the companies actual cost of the property) and then will mark the sale price to you up 50% through “financing.”

I have seen this time and time again – just make sure to ask for a list of comparables (comps) from a local agent on the ground, not affiliated with the firm you are associate with. This will give you an idea of how much the property you are buying is getting marked up.

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

There's no such thing as a free lunch and that saying is most relevant in the USA where everyone is after their slice of the 'American' pie before you get to it.

Good advice from DetroitDan and exactly what I have been emphasising to Aust/NZ buyers for the last 2 years. Check the comps. Time and again I have seen houses offered for sale to investors that are twice as much as those sold in the street in the previous 3 months and 3 or 4 times the price of the foreclosure for sale, available today. On some occasions I have seen the exact house being offered for $50k, for sale for $15k where the listing has not been deleted.

Well done on the research Morpheus. Don't over analyse too much – a lot will come to you once you are in the US and hopefully your decision making process will be a lot easier once you are on the ground.

Best of luck with your trip.

Ian
    http://theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Information, Tools & Resources for Investors with a Sense of Humour – USA, Aust, NZ

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Texas has really high property tax's and very lax zoning laws its a huge area like the outback only all of it is basically developable. so when things get going builders will be building new construction that will compete price wise with existing inventory there will never be much of a run up in values there because of these factors. Never has historically never will be as long as the zoning laws stay the same which is to say lack thereof.  Supply Demand….

Same issues in Vegas and Pheniox the big american money has gobbled up literally tens of  thousands of building lots in these areas from the banks and big builders for 10k or so per lot and those are lots that are finished. I have a associate that bought 800 lots in Sacramento CA from Centex and these were completed shovel ready for 6.4 mil cash. Production builders can build for $50 a foot  so they can put brand new product on the market at 125 to 150 and people are going to buy those way before they buy a house thats been used as a rental for 5 to 7 years and a neighborhood thats 50% rentals. We are already seeing this. I have 10 new constructions going right now personally.

the big rust belt towns that have these under 30k houses and the upper midwest your just buying an annuity there you will never sell for more than you paid for them and your operating cost will be more than you think.

Better to buy below the Frost line. thats states that do not freeze in the winter.

And much better to look at capital preservation rather than percent return. and base your investment on what property pro forma shows the highest rate of return. the higher the rate the worse the neighborhood by and large. A house that you buy in any of the big mid western towns or upper mid west at retail( IE some rehabber bought it for 5k at foreclosure put 10 into it and sold it to a foriegner for 30 k as a cash flow cow)  those properties will never sell for more than what you paid for them and 50 % or more of the people that by them will loose all there money because of management issues they will get tired of pouring good money after bad and finally walk away.

there is a reason these neighborhoods are flooded with foreclosures and vacant houses. and its not because some poor american family lost their home or did a stratigic foreclosure.

[email protected]

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Texas has a 3% property tax but no other taxes. The only city that has no zoning laws in Houston. However strong zoning laws apply in most of the rest of Texas. I do think that there are issues with many other locations. It is about doing your own detailed research.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

3% which is double most other areas and its not just flat rate for the entire state they can be lower and they can be higher than what you stated in Texas.

Detroit can have some wicked tax's as well, and the water bills can attach the properties in Detroit as well, And Memphis has double taxation there is a county tax then a city tax.

I have foreclosed as a lender on a hand full in detroit only to end up with water bills in the multi thousands. I would never invest personally in Wayne county Michigan.

Texas is also a fearsome dual action state. This means if you take out a mortgage on a property the lender not only forecloses but can and will get a definacy judgement against the borrower. Now that probably for the average Foriegner won't mean much as a lender will not pursue judgements out side of the country unless they are substantial million dollars or more. However that is also why its hard for out of country investor to get mortgages there is no personal recourse. so the lender is strickly making an equity loan like a hard money loan like the kind I make.

I have seen many an investor primarily in large multi family end up losing millions investing in Texas because of how agressive the lenders are in seeking definacy judgements when the properties go to foreclosure.

Jayman
    Participant
    @jayman

Texas is part of what is also now called the Texaplex, which comprises Houston, Dallas / Fort Worth /  San Antonio / Austin,  it houses over 80% of the States Population, Houston is the largest City in the southern United States and the 4th largest overall.

It's one of the fastest growth cities in the country, with a massive migration from other States, and although properties have, like most everywhere else declined in values, you still have a huge choice of high quality properties with a very good built in equity from day one for some really great prices, which in turn, attracts a higher standard of tenant.

As for the Taxes, the following is from the Harris County ( Houston ) Tax Office.

Three factors determine the total amount of taxes imposed on a property. These include the appraised value established by the appraisal district for the county in which the property is located; the exemptions, if any, to which that property may be entitled, such as the homestead exemption for owner-occupied residential property; and the tax rates set by the governing bodies of the taxing units (jurisdictions) in which the property is located. The purpose of the appraisal is to allocate the tax burden fairly among all taxpayers.

They are actually determined  September / October each year.

But with the rents holding up and the number of job opportunities also holding up, together with a high population migration. Houston would have to be still one of the better locations to consider purchasing.

All the other cities in the Texaplex, are also great investment locations, and each has it's own unique reasons to buy.

Also, if looking at other Cities, there are some very good opportunities in Orland / Tampa, / Memphis / and some other very good locations to consider, all with their own positives and negatives.

Again, as mentioned already, you have to due your own DD and know what you are trying to achieve.

You also need to get the right expert US Tax Advice for your own situation, and for a particular state, which is available in Melbourne.

Jeff   [email protected]

Profile photo of speedy gonzalesspeedy gonzales
    @speedy-gonzales
    jayhinrichs wrote:

Texas has really high property tax's and very lax zoning laws its a huge area like the outback only all of it is basically developable. so when things get going builders will be building new construction that will compete price wise with existing inventory there will never be much of a run up in values there because of these factors. Never has historically never will be as long as the zoning laws stay the same which is to say lack thereof.  Supply Demand….

Hi Jay,

With the utmost respect….to state that Texas won't have a run up of values..never has… never will… is a little of track. I have research published by the FHFA that shows…

US House Prices overall increased in value by 88.4% in the last 10 years (and have dropped 11.5% over the last 5 years)

Texas Home Prices increased by 88.0% over the same time (and have increased by 9.2% in the last 5 years)

California Home Prices increased by 60.0% over the same time (and have dropped by 42.3% in the last 5 years)

Nevada Home Prices increased by 27.4% over the same time (and have dropped by 52.8% in the last 5 years)

Florida Home Prices increased by 78.50% over the same time (and have dropped by 39.7% in the last 5 years)

Arizona Home Prices increased by 72.50% over the same time (and dropped by 42.5% in the last 5 years)

Georgia Home Prices increased by 53.60% over the same time (and have dropped by 19.4% in the last 5 years)

N Carolina Home Prices increased by 86.50% over the same time (and have increased by 2.3% in the last 5 years)

With taxes in Texas…yes these are higher then other states but the return on rental income and likely appreciation will compensate for this and with it being a non disclosure state….if you do your research you can find places with lower tax rates. I have 2 in Dallas paying around 2.5% in property taxes and another north of Dallas paying under that. 

As far as your comments regarding investing in the $30K Rust Belt & Mid West cities…couldn't agree more with you. There is a solid reason why these places are worth $30K….they never will be worth any more and you will end up walking away from the investment with never ending problems with your Section 8 maintenance issues. These places may have sold at higher prices prior to 2007/08 but they were never in good area's to begin with and a drop in price to $30K doesn't make it any better. Remember…just cause it's cheap doesn't make it a good investment.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    speedy gonzales wrote:
    jayhinrichs wrote:

Hi Jay,

With the utmost respect….to state that Texas won't have a run up of values..never has… never will… is a little of track. I have research published by the FHFA that shows…

US House Prices overall increased in value by 88.4% in the last 10 years (and have dropped11.5% over the last 5 years)

Texas Home Prices increased by 88.0% over the same time (and have increasedby 9.2% in the last 5 years)

California Home Prices increased by 60.0% over the same time (and have droppedby 42.3% in the last 5 years)

Nevada Home Prices increased by 27.4% over the same time (and have droppedby 52.8% in the last 5 years)

Florida Home Prices increased by 78.50% over the same time (and have droppedby 39.7% in the last 5 years)

Arizona Home Prices increased by 72.50% over the same time (and droppedby 42.5% in the last 5 years)

Georgia Home Prices increased by 53.60% over the same time (and have droppedby 19.4% in the last 5 years)

N Carolina Home Prices increased by 86.50% over the same time (and have increasedby 2.3% in the last 5 years)

With taxes in Texas…yes these are higher then other states but the return on rental income and likely appreciation will compensate for this and with it being a non disclosure state….if you do your research you can find places with lower tax rates. I have 2 in Dallas paying around 2.5% in property taxes and another north of Dallas paying under that. 

As far as your comments regarding investing in the $30K Rust Belt & Mid West cities…couldn't agree more with you. There is a solid reason why these places are worth $30K….they never will be worth any more and you will end up walking away from the investment with never ending problems with your Section 8 maintenance issues. These places may have sold at higher prices prior to 2007/08 but they were never in good area's to begin with and a drop in price to $30K doesn't make it any better. Remember…just cause it's cheap doesn't make it a good investment.

Not to argue, but when you take a starting price of  50k and it goes up 88% as opposed to say CA where the average price was 300k and it went up 66% the numbers are far different. Other than CA. your starting at such low values that these high percentage increases only amount to 20 to 30k in equity increases.

at least we agree on the Rust belt

Whats happen in the states is a true roller coaster. and when it comes to investing in certain areas its the herd mentality if you have a huge amount of out of area investors it will sqeu the true values.

Were I live in Oregon 90% of the single family homes are owner Occ. 200k buys you a home that rents for 1k. So we have little to no foriengers investing here. Apartments sell at 5 caps. However you will not find one apartment building boarded up like you will in each and every town east of the Rockies, and I do not care where it is Dallas, memphis , Kc, Chicago, detroit , harlem , DC, West coast is just far different demographically and I will leave it at that.

When you go to the south and mid west say towns like memphis were 60% of all single family houses are rentals it becomes a business and values are like apartment buildings, based on cap rates not what a family is willing to pay for them. If you invest in rental areas you wil never see appreciation and your expense's will be far more than you were told they would be.

I am not an expert on Texas by any means but I have done enough bizz to know that land is cheap there building cost are cheap and builders can and will build for just a little more than investors are paying for rentals. Homeowners will buy in these new construction subdivisions as oppossed to ones that are 50% rentals. And the houses have been rentals for 5  years plus its just simple logic and the fact. I am a home builder here in Oregon and Investor throughout the states along with a private money lending company. Anyone can google me Jay Hinrichs Portland Oregon.

It is well known knowledge in the development community ( of which I am ) in the states that builders in these areas where rents were high and cost of product was low ( texas florida and other areas) that got caught in 07 08 with high priced inventory they wholesaled their inventory to promoters who then sold to "cash flow investors and you have whole subdivisions full of rentals. Please correct me if I am wrong here and give me imperical data to disprove this. I know first hand I have lent money to untold hundreds of these developers and have first hand knowledge of how they sold out of there 05 and later inventory when the market turned south.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    speedy gonzales wrote:
    jayhinrichs wrote:

Hi Jay,

US House Prices overall increased in value by 88.4% in the last 10 years (and have dropped 11.5% over the last 5 years)

Texas Home Prices increased by 88.0% over the same time (and have increased by 9.2% in the last 5 years)

California Home Prices increased by 60.0% over the same time (and have dropped by 42.3% in the last 5 years)

Nevada Home Prices increased by 27.4% over the same time (and have dropped by 52.8% in the last 5 years)

Florida Home Prices increased by 78.50% over the same time (and have dropped by 39.7% in the last 5 years)

Arizona Home Prices increased by 72.50% over the same time (and dropped by 42.5% in the last 5 years)

Georgia Home Prices increased by 53.60% over the same time (and have dropped by 19.4% in the last 5 years)

N Carolina Home Prices increased by 86.50% over the same time (and have increased by 2.3% in the last 5 years)

Your saying that Prices have dropped 11.5% in the last 5 years. I just have to call you on that one.

Other than select markets. San Francisco and the pennisula down to San Jose , Home to Facebook Google etc. those values have held. Certain parts of Manhatten, LA, Boston and again only the upper crust.

Everywhere else in the nation prices have plummeted. Vegas down 60% Arizona the same. Central CA and the inland Empire 50%. Mid west devistated. Florida 60 to 70% value drops.

So to say 11.5 is just ludicrus. And that is why certain markets are really hot right now but buying 100k homes in texas that rent for 800 is not the best cash flow given the large tax burden and the fact that builders will compete in the coming years with existing inventory.

I personally bought a few foreclosures 18 months ago in Ft. Myers nice homes 04 build original mortgages of 250k for 35k each at the court house step. Now those have gone up in value you have to pay 45k for them now. As a flood of Aussies and brits have moved in and drove up the prices. herd mentality again. If foriegners were not buying all these properties the market would remain flat.

Again not trying to be argumentitive, just want to be real. These out of area investors by and large are totally nieve and are really rate of return whores. they follow what they think is the best rate of return with no clue as to Captial preservation. And they have no clue as to the social demographic issues with buying in areas of the US that are sub 100k, and especially sub 50k. Sub 50k doing it on your own you mines as well throw your money down the toilet . Now if you buy a few hundred of these and make a business out of it thats another thing but to be a passive investor in this Space your running 50% better chance your going to get your clocked clean. I have personally witnessed hundreds of these.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 166 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.