All Topics / Overseas Deals / USA – Where to buy?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 166 total)
  • Profile photo of speedy gonzalesspeedy gonzales
    @speedy-gonzales
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    speedy gonzales wrote:
    jayhinrichs wrote:

Texas has really high property tax's and very lax zoning laws its a huge area like the outback only all of it is basically developable. so when things get going builders will be building new construction that will compete price wise with existing inventory there will never be much of a run up in values there because of these factors. Never has historically never will be as long as the zoning laws stay the same which is to say lack thereof.  Supply Demand….

Hi Jay,

With the utmost respect….to state that Texas won't have a run up of values..never has… never will… is a little of track. I have research published by the FHFA that shows…

US House Prices overall increased in value by 88.4% in the last 10 years (and have dropped 11.5% over the last 5 years)

Texas Home Prices increased by 88.0% over the same time (and have increased by 9.2% in the last 5 years)

California Home Prices increased by 60.0% over the same time (and have dropped by 42.3% in the last 5 years)

Nevada Home Prices increased by 27.4% over the same time (and have dropped by 52.8% in the last 5 years)

Florida Home Prices increased by 78.50% over the same time (and have dropped by 39.7% in the last 5 years)

Arizona Home Prices increased by 72.50% over the same time (and dropped by 42.5% in the last 5 years)

Georgia Home Prices increased by 53.60% over the same time (and have dropped by 19.4% in the last 5 years)

N Carolina Home Prices increased by 86.50% over the same time (and have increased by 2.3% in the last 5 years)

With taxes in Texas…yes these are higher then other states but the return on rental income and likely appreciation will compensate for this and with it being a non disclosure state….if you do your research you can find places with lower tax rates. I have 2 in Dallas paying around 2.5% in property taxes and another north of Dallas paying under that. 

As far as your comments regarding investing in the $30K Rust Belt & Mid West cities…couldn't agree more with you. There is a solid reason why these places are worth $30K….they never will be worth any more and you will end up walking away from the investment with never ending problems with your Section 8 maintenance issues. These places may have sold at higher prices prior to 2007/08 but they were never in good area's to begin with and a drop in price to $30K doesn't make it any better. Remember…just cause it's cheap doesn't make it a good investment.

Your saying that Prices have dropped 11.5% in the last 5 years. I just have to call you on that one.

Other than select markets. San Francisco and the pennisula down to San Jose , Home to Facebook Google etc. those values have held. Certain parts of Manhatten, LA, Boston and again only the upper crust.

Everywhere else in the nation prices have plummeted. Vegas down 60% Arizona the same. Central CA and the inland Empire 50%. Mid west devistated. Florida 60 to 70% value drops.

So to say 11.5 is just ludicrus. And that is why certain markets are really hot right now but buying 100k homes in texas that rent for 800 is not the best cash flow given the large tax burden and the fact that builders will compete in the coming years with existing inventory.

I personally bought a few foreclosures 18 months ago in Ft. Myers nice homes 04 build original mortgages of 250k for 35k each at the court house step. Now those have gone up in value you have to pay 45k for them now. As a flood of Aussies and brits have moved in and drove up the prices. herd mentality again. If foriegners were not buying all these properties the market would remain flat.

Again not trying to be argumentitive, just want to be real. These out of area investors by and large are totally nieve and are really rate of return whores. they follow what they think is the best rate of return with no clue as to Captial preservation. And they have no clue as to the social demographic issues with buying in areas of the US that are sub 100k, and especially sub 50k. Sub 50k doing it on your own you mines as well throw your money down the toilet .

Jay….may I start by saying hallelujua & praise the lord !!
    Your comments about the herd mentality with Aussie buyers and buying sub $100K….couldn’t agree with you more and backs up my own time spent in many US cities and individual research. I have purchased 3 properties so far…one for $140K getting $1500 a month rent, another for $126K getting $1300 a month rent and the last at $85K getting $1100 a month rent….all in owner occupied neighborhoods. Appreciate I could spend less and get higher returns but that didn’t fit my personal risk profile….already accepting a higher risk by investing oversea’s and wasn’t prepared to do my money investing in sub prime areas with sub prime tenants.
    With the 11.5% drop in US values….don’t have to call ME on that….I didn’t come up with the figures….just quoting the FHFA figures given to me by an Economics Professor at Texas A&M and published by them. Do appreciate your point though

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

The problem is that many people who are investing in the United States cannot afford to buy properties are are sucked in to buying one cheap property. However many of these people will loose money.

I only deal with people that want to build a large quality income stream in the United States

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Jayman
    Participant
    @jayman

Not everyone can afford to pay US$100,000 or more, so if $40,000 to say $85,00 is the max they can pay, then they still have to know they are buying right.  Also, agree that only being sucked in to buy just one cheap property that might have a high rental yield but is a lousy overall investment, is a terrible thing to do to unwary buyers.

But to build a good quality portfolio, you can certainly get some very good properties in the mid range bracket as above, and in some very good locations. Good Quality Property in Texas in the right locations can still be a great investment at the current price levels, but so can property in other areas.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

With the system we run in Texas you can pick up a property worth around $120000 for around $20,000 because we make sure that the existing mortgage in the property is transferred with the deal. We have just finished our third tour to Texas

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    speedy gonzales wrote:
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    speedy gonzales wrote:
    jayhinrichs wrote:

Texas has really high property tax's and very lax zoning laws its a huge area like the outback only all of it is basically developable. so when things get going builders will be building new construction that will compete price wise with existing inventory there will never be much of a run up in values there because of these factors. Never has historically never will be as long as the zoning laws stay the same which is to say lack thereof.  Supply Demand….

Hi Jay,

With the utmost respect….to state that Texas won't have a run up of values..never has… never will… is a little of track. I have research published by the FHFA that shows…

US House Prices overall increased in value by 88.4% in the last 10 years (and have dropped 11.5% over the last 5 years)

Texas Home Prices increased by 88.0% over the same time (and have increased by 9.2% in the last 5 years)

California Home Prices increased by 60.0% over the same time (and have dropped by 42.3% in the last 5 years)

Nevada Home Prices increased by 27.4% over the same time (and have dropped by 52.8% in the last 5 years)

Florida Home Prices increased by 78.50% over the same time (and have dropped by 39.7% in the last 5 years)

Arizona Home Prices increased by 72.50% over the same time (and dropped by 42.5% in the last 5 years)

Georgia Home Prices increased by 53.60% over the same time (and have dropped by 19.4% in the last 5 years)

N Carolina Home Prices increased by 86.50% over the same time (and have increased by 2.3% in the last 5 years)

With taxes in Texas…yes these are higher then other states but the return on rental income and likely appreciation will compensate for this and with it being a non disclosure state….if you do your research you can find places with lower tax rates. I have 2 in Dallas paying around 2.5% in property taxes and another north of Dallas paying under that. 

As far as your comments regarding investing in the $30K Rust Belt & Mid West cities…couldn't agree more with you. There is a solid reason why these places are worth $30K….they never will be worth any more and you will end up walking away from the investment with never ending problems with your Section 8 maintenance issues. These places may have sold at higher prices prior to 2007/08 but they were never in good area's to begin with and a drop in price to $30K doesn't make it any better. Remember…just cause it's cheap doesn't make it a good investment.

Your saying that Prices have dropped 11.5% in the last 5 years. I just have to call you on that one.

Other than select markets. San Francisco and the pennisula down to San Jose , Home to Facebook Google etc. those values have held. Certain parts of Manhatten, LA, Boston and again only the upper crust.

Everywhere else in the nation prices have plummeted. Vegas down 60% Arizona the same. Central CA and the inland Empire 50%. Mid west devistated. Florida 60 to 70% value drops.

So to say 11.5 is just ludicrus. And that is why certain markets are really hot right now but buying 100k homes in texas that rent for 800 is not the best cash flow given the large tax burden and the fact that builders will compete in the coming years with existing inventory.

I personally bought a few foreclosures 18 months ago in Ft. Myers nice homes 04 build original mortgages of 250k for 35k each at the court house step. Now those have gone up in value you have to pay 45k for them now. As a flood of Aussies and brits have moved in and drove up the prices. herd mentality again. If foriegners were not buying all these properties the market would remain flat.

Again not trying to be argumentitive, just want to be real. These out of area investors by and large are totally nieve and are really rate of return whores. they follow what they think is the best rate of return with no clue as to Captial preservation. And they have no clue as to the social demographic issues with buying in areas of the US that are sub 100k, and especially sub 50k. Sub 50k doing it on your own you mines as well throw your money down the toilet .

Jay….may I start by saying hallelujua & praise the lord !! Your comments about the herd mentality with Aussie buyers and buying sub $100K….couldn't agree with you more and backs up my own time spent in many US cities and individual research. I have purchased 3 properties so far…one for $140K getting $1500 a month rent, another for $126K getting $1300 a month rent and the last at $85K getting $1100 a month rent….all in owner occupied neighborhoods. Appreciate I could spend less and get higher returns but that didn't fit my personal risk profile….already accepting a higher risk by investing oversea's and wasn't prepared to do my money investing in sub prime areas with sub prime tenants. With the 11.5% drop in US values….don't have to call ME on that….I didn't come up with the figures….just quoting the FHFA figures given to me by an Economics Professor at Texas A&M and published by them. Do appreciate your point though

Now your talkin I just cringe at these investors buying into  10 to 25 k all in markets.. they mine as well go to vegas they will get more out of it.

I suppose if you add in the run up and then subtract the fall of the last 3 years the net could be 11% but you could go back to 1950 and make the case the properties have appreciated.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    Nigel Kibel wrote:
    The problem is that many people who are investing in the United States cannot afford to buy properties are are sucked in to buying one cheap property. However many of these people will loose money. I only deal with people that want to build a large quality income stream in the United States

Well since I have brought up the contrarian few I am glad to see that there are those that agree with my rational.

America is the land of opportunities and the land of those that will take your hard earned money pocket it and not think a wink if you lose it all. Its cutting through the <moderator: delete language> blue sky sales promoters that is the challenge.

You only need to look were intitutional investor are investing. here in Oregon they buy large apartment complexes and MH parks. Cap rates 5 to maybe 6. but these are properties that you will not loose any principal on. The large insurance companies and lenders will lend on them. And they hold their values. Same with Trophy properties in other areas of the west and eastern seaborad. Will an institutional investor buy 300 units in Detroit or Memphis for 5k a door. No frickin way, those properties get bought rehabbed and lost in 3 year cycles. I know personally a few that can make them work I have lent them A and D money to buy them. but they go in with an Army at least 1 full time security guard per 50 units. Only way to keep the gang and drug runners out and for the Welfare mothers to feel safe.  Out of every rental on the low end in the US no matter where it is your tenant 90% of the time is a unmarried women with kids. Daddy was a rolling stone. having 400 plus units of these I know of what I speak here.

Its a job. you can make these work but its not set it and forget type of realestate its a business. So one needs scale so you can hire the security folks and the others that are needed to make sure your property will remain intaked much less rented.

Best

[email protected]

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    Nigel Kibel wrote:
    With the system we run in Texas you can pick up a property worth around $120000 for around $20,000 because we make sure that the existing mortgage in the property is transferred with the deal. We have just finished our third tour to Texas

Nigel are you saying your buying bad mortgage debt from banks and then foreclosing out the Trustor?? if so this is an excellent play, and you need great connections to get ahold of Note portfolios usually they are quite large 10 to 30 mil at a crack and then there are many that are throw away properties.

This is how we set up our transactions. Our investors are buying the paper at 40 to 50 cents on the dollar but thats after the house is totally renovated. And we manage it for no fee. We just take 50% of the equity. So they are coming in as our partners but they have no down side they get there check every month regardless of if the property is rented. and we pay all the on going expenses because of course we own the asset. I am the only one in the US that structures these deals this way. And I do not give the highest returns but I give a level of safety no one can give. We have substantial assets and 400 plus units in our portfolio with 30 plus years experince. I have not sold anything to a foriegner because frankly I am not sure they get it. My investors are all local here in Oregon and CA. Most of them have owend or do own rentals and know what a headache they are. My clients are Docs attorneys busy professional they rely on us to just give them there check every month and when the properties are sold we split the profit.

These are the type of loans I have made for years to small builders that were not bankable I would lend them the money to buy and develop lots then go verticle. We would charge a decent rate 7 or 8% then take 25% of the net profit. These were fabulous loans for us many times we would lend say 300 k and get a 200 k return in 9 to 12 months.. Now with construction where it is that has not been happening but its picking up.

I am thinking of putting a fund together for Aussies to invest in. They will do far better in a fund like this than buying a rental house hands down, I can show track record and full disclosure on deals I have done.

since I have been folllowing these threads I have come to see that AU investors are really rate of return driven not so much worried about captial preservation. However maybe I am wrong. But I can flat guarantee that those that have bought super low end rust best mid west rentals will eventaully loose there money I have absolutly no doubt of this at all I have persoanlly witnessed over many years. those that thrive in this asset class do it for a living. and or they live off of out of area investors that are totally vulnerable to the property manager.

lastly  for me personally I bought a bunch of Go zone rentals in Mississippi they were new construction when I bought them paid 100 bucks a foot average house 200k I bought 22 of them. they rent 1300 to 1500 a month I put 25$ down on each and they break even or loose a few bucks. but I got the huge 50% bonus depreciation in my highest income earning years. So what that means is I wrote off 100k per house year one and being in the highest tax bracket I saved about 43% or 43k in tax's I would have had to pay on ordinary income per house.  I think those houses by and large have held value. and they are no issues as for property management goes they are always rented. They had scored concrete floors so that mitigates alot of maintenance issues.

Profile photo of InvestingnoviceInvestingnovice
    @investingnovice

Gents,

Just like to share my limited experience and exposure to the market to help anyone that was in my position that i was about a year ago.

I started looking at US property just under a year ago and started researching this company. They send out a very informative DVD explaining all queries one would have to investing in the US market. However I had to pay them a decent amount of money just to be on their mailing list. Now i m all for people making a quid but the price was really steep just to be on an email service (and to be honest i dont believe that the only money they making from the sales is a fixed price they declare in their brochures…. anywayz I did a bit of research on areas and initially liked all the major cities in Ohio. I received about 4 properties from Ohio and then I didnt hear anything back from them for a few months where they started sending me properties in Florida which is the one place I definately wanted to avoid. kept asking for Ohio properties and kept getting Florida properties.

about a few months ago started looking at this different company US Prime Property Which I have to say did not charge me to view their houses was really helpful put up with all my stupid questions and has now given me a property that I am very happy with.

The property is in Kansas City I have a 3 yr rental guarantee on the house and the house is already tenanted. When they gave me the inspection reports there was a insignificant change i merely suggested. They replied back telling me theyll fix the issue and extend the gutters to furthermore avoid the possiblity.

All on all I am really happy with my purchase and wanted to share my lil bit of info I researched and learnt:

From what I can understand major companies in the North of the country are struggling, as there cost are quite higher, and moving to Middle and the South hence why I stayed well away from detroit and opted out of Ohio (Cleveland Columbus etc) and started paying more attention to kansas City.

The reason why I stayed away from St Louis is due to it having a reasonably small population and since the GFC i couldnt really see an incline in population

So hopefully everything goes well and within 6mths to a yr Ill be looking at diversifying to another city

Jayman
    Participant
    @jayman

Ohio has some very good cities to invest in, and they are great for cash-flow, maybe not as good as some other areas for longer term capital growth, but still offering good investment potential, especially with the capital expenditure that is going into infrastructure, and with a number of huge growth industries such as Bio technologies and one of the largest if not the largest Medical Centre in the world in Cleveland.

Kansas city being the largest city in Missouri and with over $9 Billion being spent in re-development, is certainly a great place to invest, as also the Real estate market there has been stable and predictable, with Fortune magazine dubbing it a 'Safe haven For Real Estate' It is also a solid Cash Flow market, with not a great emphasis on growth.

I suppose it all depends on what the investor is after, whether for just a good positive cash flow, with a limited growth over time, or a little less cash flow but still giving a decent cash flow after expenses, but giving a higher growth, or even if you are looking at flipping and making a good gain over say 3-4 months, although that strategy is not for everyone and has a number of variables.
    Even doing joint ventures. is a great way of getting into larger projects with limited funds.

Also, why just follow the herd? Has anyone thought of other forms of investment property besides just single family homes? There are a number of different investment opportunities, many offering far greater returns than just a single home.

Just a few possibilities to think about.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Jayman,,,

I think the focus for out of country investors on the single families is price point and ease of understanding them.

For these same investors to step into say C apartments that offer 12 to 16% caps would be very very risky,
    Just drive through Memphis Tn for example half of the 20 to 300 unit apartment complex's are boarded up just waiting for that next investor group to make a run at them rehab them all and have a less than 50% chance  of keeping them running profitably until they give up. This asset class needs Armed security 24 hours and really heavy handed management and And owner that is in the town. I have a friend in Oregon who bought a 300 unit in Oaklahoma city, and it almost broke her she had to move from Portland ( green and trendy) to Oaklahoma city ( not green and Trendy) and work this property personally for 2 years to get it back to where it was just braking even. First property manager was stealing her blind, and this is more common than we all want to admit.

For instance here in Oregon and most of the west coast apartment investing is very competitive and nice properties sell for 5 to 6 caps. but they hold their value run 95% or more full and you do not need anything more than management. Most folks buying these are looking for long term safe cash flow the live well sleep well type. I sold one building to a client of mine for 5 mil cash it was 90 units, he makes 5% cash on cash and is pleased with it.

And commercial has tanked, I know I own a few office buildings in Portland Or. which have devalued 50% with no upside in sight. this is the same all over the states, It could be time to jump in. But a vacant building is just that vacant.

Anyway All these areas have their plus's and minuses. it really boils down to who is going to guide them on their purchase and who is going to manage their properties. This is what makes or breaks an investment here in the states. And because the better cash flowing properties are in Blue color areas they tend to just perk along at values of what an investor will pay for the cash flow. Like you said not a lot of upside.

Jayman
    Participant
    @jayman

jayhinriches..

I see it all the time over here, and it seems to be the main focus of how many ( not all ) agents or others are trying to sell homes for, and that is the very high rental yield they will get, usually in the high 20's, as well, often in the areas where they can also get the place for a dirt cheap price, so trying to make it look like a great investment,  Of course, this doesn't take in that it will probably be in a terrible area, not only being a possible warzone, but would also be bad for the type of tenant and certainly no hope of growth, if anything, they will probably still go down further.

I personally am dealing with companies in the US that have to show and prove a number of things before I even would consider doing business with them, and the people that own and run the business is also very important, and i am more than happy with those that I am associated with, in that they also invest in the areas where they sell. Also, very important, getting into the larger or more diverse commercial properties not just office blocks, and certainly, as you say, the location and demand , you have to know who you are dealing with and their track record.

Coming back to the original point, if in the end, the buyer after having everything explained, and knowing that the cheapies are not really that cheap, as it will cost them a lot more both in time, headaches and money, still want to buy them, then the agent selling them is being very irresponsible and obviously just after quick money, certainly not looking after a client.

Profile photo of PortpiratePortpirate
    @portpirate

I think Australians chase the high cash-flow because interest rates in Oz are so relatively high. 7% on a risk free term deposit means there has to be a high return or lots of upside to make it all worthwhile. If I could get 10% net return with reasonable upside and little risk I would go for that. There are lots of people on here touting their buyers agent companies and it can be hard to distinguish the good from the bad. Any of these people who ask for “registration” fees are going to rip you off. Period. Would any Aussie pay a real estate agent just to see their listings? I don’t think so!

So if any agent out there can GUARANTEE me at least 10% return plus capital growth, I’m listening.

Jayman
    Participant
    @jayman

My point about high yields were that if that's the only reason to buy property, without taking into account all the other factors, and if that's also the main point in just pushing property in the U.S. then there is a huge risk of taking on a big liability.

Yes there are a number of agents, which seem to be increasing all the time, there are those that actually do go and purchase direct from such places as banks or from on the step tax sales, etc, or through other means, then either get them rehabbed (renovated ) and on sell to the Australian market, or provide a cost of the rehab and the buyer pays for the property and the rehab, then you obviously have to get the tenant and property management and put it all together like a jigsaw puzzle, and yes, it can and does work out very well….sometimes.  On the other hand, many agents work with suppliers in the U.S. and don't necessarily go over there to oversee everything, but rely on their suppliers to put everything into place, this can also cause many problems. This is simplifying the full processes, but both have their good and bad points.

So it comes down to a number of things to watch out for, but in the end, the buyer over here must do their homework and be more than satisfied with who they are purchasing from, the source of their supply, the supplier in the U.S., why is that property better than another one, why is the location important, there are so many questions and answers.

If you want to buy to just get a high yield, then you can buy in places like Detroit, yes you can get a real cheapy and still get a high yield, but at what cost to you? What kind of budget you have is also going to be a determining factor, but you should still have choices.

I think it's important to know why you are buying, what exit strategy you might have in mind, which determines how long you intend holding the property for. I would suggest, and maybe others will not agree, but if you choose an area that will give a better growth over the next say 3-5 years, and in the meantime it is covering all your outgoings and still putting money in your pocket, then better to get a bit lower yield initially, and get a better growth over that time. 10% is not to unrealistic to expect. But in the end, it's always the buyers choice.

As a number of buyers also are after a quick flip to make a quick and reasonably high gain, we will be able to offer this very shortly, but, like buying in Australia, you should always do your due diligence.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    Portpirate wrote:
    I think Australians chase the high cash-flow because interest rates in Oz are so relatively high. 7% on a risk free term deposit means there has to be a high return or lots of upside to make it all worthwhile. If I could get 10% net return with reasonable upside and little risk I would go for that. There are lots of people on here touting their buyers agent companies and it can be hard to distinguish the good from the bad. Any of these people who ask for "registration" fees are going to rip you off. Period. Would any Aussie pay a real estate agent just to see their listings? I don't think so! So if any agent out there can GUARANTEE me at least 10% return plus capital growth, I'm listening.

With 7% guaranteed I am surprised there is not a reverse capital flow. US deposits pay less than 1%. this is why a lot of americans are turning toward cash flow RE. Do you need to be a AU citizen to get these returns??

We can, and do, achieve and exceed your investment criteria as a routine. the Key being able to find the right asset for the right price then staying in the transaction as a princiapal throughout the life of the investment. putting Our money where are recommendations are.

There are plenty of managed RE funds in the US like us. Just not in the single family realm. Not any that are truly managed as we are where we remain in operational control and are responsible for all expenses thereby quantifying the return for the investor and offering the Capital growth.

In the larger companies these are run through a REIT  Real Estate Investment Trust and are publicly traded companies, the mutual funds of RE if you will. Most of these REIT's investment in very large projects and of course your investment is pooled with thousands of others. REIT's were hot few years back for obvious reasons,

There is no question that single family has basically bottomed out in the US. 5 to 7 year horizon for rebound is realistic.

Profile photo of DetroitDan9DetroitDan9
    @detroitdan9

@portpirate

A 10% return in Detroit and the surrounding suburbs is a very average return – most people get somewhere between 15-20% if they are doing it right. On the flip side, I would be hard pressed to believe anyone can guarantee you Capital Growth. No one can guarantee that – if they do guarantee that I would take a close look at who you are dealing with!

Just my 2 cents – best of luck!

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    DetroitDan9 wrote:
    @portpirate A 10% return in Detroit and the surrounding suburbs is a very average return – most people get somewhere between 15-20% if they are doing it right. On the flip side, I would be hard pressed to believe anyone can guarantee you Capital Growth. No one can guarantee that – if they do guarantee that I would take a close look at who you are dealing with! Just my 2 cents – best of luck!

Dan, Your correct the better term would have been TRUE EQUITY I wrote that post at 3am so was a little foggy,  Our fund buys at True cost and our investors come in at true cost. The same homes you see being sold to foreiengers all over the US come into our company and our investors at roughly 50% less than the investor will pay for it on their own. Our managed fund makes their money on the cash flow just as the investor does. As for capital growth that would be appreciation and icing on the cake.   When you look at a house being sold in and around Detroit for example for 30k to 50k all the middlemen wholesaler rehabers are Making some Profit Correct? Because once the house is sold they have no future interest in the house. And thats the cottage industry of buying a foreclosure fixing it up and flipping it the wholesaler rehabber are not doing it out of the kindness of their heart or for practice..  and I submit to you that that profit is anywhere from minimum of 20% of their true cost to more like 50% and more. I know I made over 250 hardmoney loans in Detroit to the wholesaler rehabbers in the area.  As well as 1,000 more throughout the mid west and South east, so as a lender we see the purchase side of the HUD what the wholesaler is paying for it buying it from HUD or Duestche bank, Wells Fargo, and any myriad of servicing companies or hedge funds that have bought large tapes and are selling off.

So thats the major differnce in our model, our investor comes in at true cost, we have ownership with the investor for the life of the investment, and we make our money on the cash flow along with our investor. Our model is not for everyone. Since we are covering all the down side our rates of return are lower than is routinely quoted here, Our investor partner is  one that is risk adverse and wants to know that if they put out X dollars they will never put out another dime and they can count on X cash flow. And they are buying the asset at truewholesale with no myriad of middle man fee's tacked on.

And I think from your post you acknowledge that Detroit and the suburbs will see no capital growth for a very long time if ever, There is a vast oversupply of homes in Detroit, you could knock down 5,000 homes tomorrow. Just look at Devils night, For Aussies that's the Night either before or after Holloween. The locals set fire to Hundreds of vacant houses all throughout the city.

My full name is on these post anyone can google me. I come up number 1 or 2 in the US as well as my companies. So again to your point of your post I would welcome anyone to check me out. I have never done business with anyone out of the country, we have plenty of business state side. And our model may be too conservative for the Aussie investor.

I just became curious as in the markets I work which is the west coast, Portland Or. And select citys in the South East I was hearing about Aussies buying cash flow homes. And when talking to my partners on the ground they were commenting on the neighborhoods and zip codes that the wholesaler and Rehabbers were selling them properties and we just cringe, there is going to be a lot of folks sorely dissappointed when their investment criteria is strickly who tells them the highest % return. And you make a very good point investors can achieve (X return if they do it right), I have plenty of clients that run these type of low end assets for a business and thats what it is a business, Just like our company its a business not a passive investment. very very difficult to do it right from an armchair around the world and put all your trust and faith in a property manager who has no skin in the game. It will work for the first year maybe 2, then when you have your first Airconditioner unit stolen and or tenant turnover that cost 3 to5k to make rent ready again and or god forbid your house gets hit and totally stripped of anything of value in the home., the arm chair investor is going to wonder what happened to my 15% return and my turn key investment.  Between my partners and I we have over 500 single familys in our portfolio and all of the above has happened to us at one time or the other, Its just devestating to an investor if you only own a few homes and one of them gets HIT by theives and vandals. this is the dark underside of our Big cities that people just do not want to talk about.
    We also own Mobile home parks commercial buildings (which suck right now) and storage facilities (which are great but again a business).

Heck on this post one of the Aussie's even got shot and killed in Detroit trying to work on his own property very sad but all too true if the investor just focuses on % return with no consideration to the safety and long term viability of the neighborhood. The property manager that my clients used in Detroit, His office right off of 8 mile is like a Bunker, razor wire bullit proof glass etc. you drive down any of the streets and you see these nice little brick houses, but those were built by european craftsmen at the height of the auto industry and the Auto industry in the US has fleed the NE and has relocated to the South and South east.

The other major sore point with me is that when you look at the pro forma's the expense side of the equation is no where near correct. It is always vastly understated and that is how these numbers are being cooked in my opinon. There is not a rental in the land that you are only going to spend 50 bucks a month on maintenance for any extended period of time unless your a slum lord, Again based on experince running our portfolio and when I get the sad calls from one of my past borrowers wanting to know what to do.

Just trying to keep it real as I have personally witnessed some pretty low operaters totally ripping people off not only out of country but fellow americans that are just too trusting and are taken in by the promise of these very high returns. At the end of the day I think about 50% of the investors will make it in some fashion , and continue for some years, It will be interesting to see how many still own their properties in 5 to 10 years. Its cycle I have seen it repeat 3 times in the last 10 years of investing and lending in the mid west and south east.

Profile photo of DetroitDan9DetroitDan9
    @detroitdan9

Jay – interesting post!

Good luck with your business.

Profile photo of PortpiratePortpirate
    @portpirate

Detroit Dan

I looked initially at Detroit but decided I wouldn’t buy anything I wouldn’t live in myself and the 20% returns you mention would definitely not be in an area I would live. I also wonder about 20% returns over the long term. These would appear to be older properties which would most likely need more maintenance. I believe a house roof in the US for example has a life of maybe 10 years. Maybe less in the rust belt. Aussies are more used to a roof lasting almost forever.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

In the states you can buy any quality of roof, Slate, concrete tile, tile, cedar shake, fake cedar shake, architectual comp.

All of them if they are new will last 20 years plus and 30 to 50 plus if you maintain them..

Just need to have an inspection and get a roof cert then you will know where you stand on the roof.

bigger issues are Electrial Plumbing and Hvac and cooling. are they new or 25 years old and just working when you purchase.

Any property in the states will run you at least 100 to 200 a month for maintenance if your going to keep it in really good shape and stay ahead of maintenance issues and or have tenant turn over at the lease term. Sec 8 inspections annually run 500 to 1200 depending on inspector.

When we put a property in service we put 3k into the vacancy reserve account day one then add 200 a month. This insures proper care and feeding of our properties and if we have a little left over on a property when we roll out thats gravy, However we rarely if ever have to add to the fund.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

I would appreciate any feedback on what if any appetite the AU investor would have for a transaction like this. At least its new and different than anything I have read on the site which seems to be 100% focused on  turnkey cash flow single family properties.

Return will be 10 to 20 X amount invested (depending on the depth of the economic rebound ) in about 5 to 7 years. Its cash out up front and cash yearly And yes Detroit Dan this property will have substantial Capital growth without question,

<moderator: delete advertising>

[email protected]

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 166 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.