All Topics / Help Needed! / Australian property market; sustainable?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    DWolfe wrote:
    Also the hyper-inflationary comment…..how much did food cost years ago? Cars? How much was the average wage?.

Nothing in this country has inlfated as quickly as houseprices over the last decade. Over that time period, at a quick gestimate based on a head full of stats, percentage increases are:

Wages – 30-50%
    Cars – 20-30%
    Food – 70-90%
    City houses – 150-200%
    Regional houses – 80-150%
    City Rent – 100% ish

DWolfe wrote:
    Maybe if commentators had seen house prices etc today they would have called the current situation hyper-inflationary. Inflation is a part of life and it will not go away it can only be managed, therefore prices will rise.

Possibly but I tend to think not. Talk to really old people (older than boomers who are themselves caught up in the debt machine as a path to retirement) and most of them can see plainly that housing and related costs are way out of wack to the long term. Talk to the kind of people that don't approve of their inner city family home being valued at 600k, can make no sense of why it is and have seen their rates quadruple in the last 10 years whilst their gardens have had no upkeep.

I honestly think the argument of wether or not Australian house prices are in a bubble is a totally mute point. The question isn't wether housing costs much more relative to everything else than it did a decade ago but rather is it sustainable.

The other points you raised are kind of opinions and emotive, so difficult to debate. Though I must say that I wouldn't term investing a passion. Wanting more wealth is a passion, so investing is something you can be passionate about but should always keep a pragmatic POV when researching and acting.

The house market in Australia, however, is something that many are passionate about:) Do you think that, if house prices continue to grow at the rate they have been in recent Australian history, that any worker other than the most highly paid will be able to afford them in another decade?

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42
    ummester wrote:

[The house market in Australia, however, is something that many are passionate about:) Do you think that, if house prices continue to grow at the rate they have been in recent Australian history, that any worker other than the most highly paid will be able to afford them in another decade?

There is a big difference between slow growth, or no growth, and a property market crash.

What the pointy-heads fail to take into account is the cultural factors that are unique to Australia, like the high rate of home ownership and the low amount of defaults, compared to other countries. There is also hardly any sub-prime debt, and there are none of the non-recourse loans which added to the problems of the US market.

ummester wrote:
    Talk to really old people (older than boomers who are themselves caught up in the debt machine as a path to retirement) and most of them can see plainly that housing and related costs are way out of wack to the long term.

Old people think everything is expensive, but it doesn't mean they are right. My grandfather still thinks he should be able to get a pot at his local pub for 50 cents.

Profile photo of dreamtobelievedreamtobelieve
    Participant
    @dreamtobelieve
    ummester wrote:
    dreamtobelieve wrote:

That would be why I said markets and not market.

Yet you spoke about them as if they were one?

Sorry, I forgot this before but here are some links about the British undersupply.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2945465/Shortage-of-stock-and-keen-buyers-raise-house-prices.html

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2007/11/05/afx4303757.html

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2006/12/14/afx3253751.html

Sound familar? The spruik there then, almost mirrors here now (as did PI sentiment). Only difference is that here the banks let the credit flow and our govt. gave us an extra 7-14k to spend on houses in 2009. I could go into some detail as to how and why this all happened (have been studying it for a couple of years now) but i get the feeling that you don't really care.

Hey, DWolfe, if your vision of this forum is so pure – why would threads like this be opened in the first place? All POVs are valid and may contain credible information – not just yours.

Investment isn't a religion, it isn't about unwavering faith, it is about wieghing up the pros and cons. The OP raised a question, for which there are more answers than just the PIs, spruikers or REAs.

It's really simple – the only possible way Australia can have the capital growth in housing over the next 10 years as it has over the last 10 is if we become a hyperinflationary and devalue the dollar with ever flowing credit. If credit stops flowing, the market will downturn and possibly crash.

Again you are referring to sensationalist media journalism and again the fundamentals of the markets are completely different. I can't stress this enough. Just read this article http://www.hotspotting.com.au/index.php?act=viewArticle&productId=1919 and thought it was very appropriate to this thread. This is by a respected property commentator Terry Ryder who knows first hand the inadequacies of journalists reporting on the real estate market.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

So instead of just ignoring any more posts on this "how long is a piece of string thread" I've been sucked into it. Last post on this.

According to the ABS bread in 1970 cost 21c, 1999 $2.33. (sorry cant find quick figures for 2009) Has everyone stopped buying bread? And before you say but you need bread to live, you also need a house to live. I don't see shanty towns springing up here and there. I do not see "trailer parks" where the poor congregate to live. Yes the govt will throw money at this to stop this sort of thing happening which is why Australia is very different to other countries.  So according to the ABS website,

Between 1974 and 1994, on average, prices increased 4.5 times. In the same period, disposable household incomes increased 5.5 times.

So will this happen in the future? Or will the price of everything outstrip disposable incomes? Even I, the emotional, opinionated person that I am can Google facts to support my arguments.

I think by talking to older people I may find I get quite an opinionated, emotional response rather than a studied, scientific report.

I've enjoyed the debate but for me I'm done. I honestly believe that in 10 years time that people will still be buying houses, the majority of "average" Australians will aim to purchase their own home, and my kids will be saying "Wow you got that for how much? that's so cheap!" but in reality they will be earning enough to be able to comfortably make repayments on a property.

Enjoy your day I am going to enjoy the last of the sun for today.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    dreamtobelieve wrote:
    [
    Again you are referring to sensationalist media journalism and again the fundamentals of the markets are completely different. I can't stress this enough. Just read this article http://www.hotspotting.com.au/index.php?act=viewArticle&productId=1919 and thought it was very appropriate to this thread. This is by a respected property commentator Terry Ryder who knows first hand the inadequacies of journalists reporting on the real estate market.

Only read it very quickly but some points spring to mind immediately:

1) Ryder is invested in being an Australian RE commentator, so his POV is biased from the onset. It's like a spokesman for the a tobacco company talking down cancer claims:)

2) He wants to compare us to non english speaking or non major economies, rather than just the other developed economies that have crashed. Zimbabwe, for instance, I guess, if we compare ourselves to them we have no asset inflation issues:)

3) He name calls which doesn't suggest a very proffessional approach to his article and effects his credibility.

Here's the thing, I am willing to conceed that government intervention, easy credit and the overall dellusion of the Australian populace could keep property prices from collapsing in any meaningful way in the short term but I get the feeling not a single one of you who are getting all antsy about my posts is willing to accept that prices could downturn and the future may yet prove your investment descisions bad. Seems a little closed minded to me and I don't think I can help with it.

Participant
    @dwolfe

"Lunatic fringe Australians worried about a non-existent house price “bubble” are delivering 20,000 brochures in Prime Minister Kevin Rudd’s electorate to mark Australia Day."

Hahahaha killed myself laughing at the headline!

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

@ummester
    DWolfe wrote:
    I've enjoyed the debate but for me I'm done. I honestly believe that in 10 years time that people will still be buying houses, the majority of "average" Australians will aim to purchase their own home, and my kids will be saying "Wow you got that for how much? that's so cheap!" but in reality they will be earning enough to be able to comfortably make repayments on a property.

Of course people will still be buying houses – of that I have no doubt. How much they will have to pay for them is the only question.

Read what i have written above aabout closed mindedness. Does it ever cross your mind that property prices might decline? Are you hedged against it? If you can't answer yes to either, I fear your faith in house prices is a little blind and you could get stung.

@ummester
    Dan42 wrote:
    What the pointy-heads fail to take into account is the cultural factors that are unique to Australia, like the high rate of home ownership and the low amount of defaults, compared to other countries. There is also hardly any sub-prime debt, and there are none of the non-recourse loans which added to the problems of the US market.

We're special because we are Christian, American, Crusaders Australian. Being Austrlain will protect us from anything (except perhaps normal IRs). Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy!

Non-recourse loans are less damaging to an overall economy than recourse loans, though not for the banks with the loans. We have Rudd Prime debt brought on by the FHOB, rather than sub prime.

Profile photo of Marie123Marie123
    Participant
    @marie123

OK so I did post something here last night (tongue in cheek) that I think did carry some truth………however,  I am wondering if anyone here knows about the REWARDS program? They say that in 2010 they acquired 16 PCFP in a matter of 4 days. I guess it still is possible, afterall.

Participant
    @dreamtobelieve
    ummester wrote:

Read what i have written above aabout closed mindedness. Does it ever cross your mind that property prices might decline? Are you hedged against it? If you can't answer yes to either, I fear your faith in house prices is a little blind and you could get stung.

I too am a bit bored of this thread now, but I can't help but feel you are now diluting your whole argument. Of course some property markets will decline in value in the short term? Thats why its called a property cycle. Thats why you need to do your research, maintain a buffer and have a long term strategy. If there are better risk free investment opportunities out there then please feel free to spruik away. The reality is that some markets will increase, some will decrease and others will do nothing, its all about timing, as with any investment.

@ummester
    dreamtobelieve wrote:
    I too am a bit bored of this thread now, but I can't help but feel you are now diluting your whole argument. Of course some property markets will decline in value in the short term? Thats why its called a property cycle. Thats why you need to do your research, maintain a buffer and have a long term strategy. If there are better risk free investment opportunities out there then please feel free to spruik away. The reality is that some markets will increase, some will decrease and others will do nothing, its all about timing, as with any investment.

If you are bored, why respond? I wasn't talking about hedging against property with other property, I was talking about hedging against all property with other investments.

You agree that the property market has cycles?

Do you also agree that October 2008 saw the start of a downturn but our government brought us out of it?

Is it possible that the downside of the current greater property cycle still hasn't played out in full?

BTW – my argument is not diluted, it is still thus. Australian property started over a cliff in October 2008. FHOB, Low IRs and easy credit fueled Australian property growth in 2009. Now, there is an oversupply of apartments in most major cities, FHOB has been taken away, bank lending is tightening and IRs are on the up. From this I deduce falling property values noticable from March 2010.

The rest is me trying to get you and your ilk to consider another POV.

Participant
    @dreamtobelieve

Read your own posts. You claim your argument is not diluted yet you're plucking figures and dates out of thin air (with the only exceptions being an occassional reference to sensationalist journalism). Earlier on in the thread it was "blatantly apparent by March and there will be definite negative growth (1-5%) reported in the market by that time" now conveniently its "From this I deduce falling property values noticable from March 2010". Which one is it and more importantly how exactly have you arrived at this conclusion? You should be in politics.

ummester wrote:

My current line of thinking is that an oversupply of apartments will become blatantly apparent by March and there will be definite negative growth (1-5%) reported in the market by that time. How the government, the RBA our banks, media and the REI as a whole respond is anyone’s guess.

ummester wrote:

BTW – my argument is not diluted, it is still thus. Australian property started over a cliff in October 2008. FHOB, Low IRs and easy credit fueled Australian property growth in 2009. Now, there is an oversupply of apartments in most major cities, FHOB has been taken away, bank lending is tightening and IRs are on the up. From this I deduce falling property values noticable from March 2010.

@ummester
    dreamtobelieve wrote:
    Read your own posts. You claim your argument is not diluted yet you're plucking figures and dates out of thin air (with the only exceptions being an occassional reference to sensationalist journalism). Earlier on in the thread it was "blatantly apparent by March and there will be definite negative growth (1-5%) reported in the market by that time" now conveniently its "From this I deduce falling property values noticable from March 2010". Which one is it and more importantly how exactly have you arrived at this conclusion?

Where am I being inconsitent? I currently believe the oversupply of apartments and a decline in sales price will be apparent by March, I guess wether it is blatently apparent or not depends on your perspective (and mine when I typed it:)).

Wether I hold to this belief until March depends on what happens with IRs, government intervention and credit flow between now and then. If things continue on there current path, I am reasonably confident my speculation will come to pass. There is already a known OS of apartments in Brisbane and a 0.3% decline in recorded December sales prices – it's not being a prophet or anything, just predicting patterns that may lead to an inevitable conclusion.

Reason I have chosen March is because it is 3 months from the end of the FHOB and consitently rising IRs – no real science or stats here it just generally takes a quater for things to become apparent.

dreamtobelieve wrote:
    You should be in politics.

How do you know I'm not?:)

Participant
    @dreamtobelieve
    ummester wrote:
    dreamtobelieve wrote:
    Read your own posts. You claim your argument is not diluted yet you're plucking figures and dates out of thin air (with the only exceptions being an occassional reference to sensationalist journalism). Earlier on in the thread it was "blatantly apparent by March and there will be definite negative growth (1-5%) reported in the market by that time" now conveniently its "From this I deduce falling property values noticable from March 2010". Which one is it and more importantly how exactly have you arrived at this conclusion?

Where am I being inconsitent? I currently believe the oversupply of apartments and a decline in sales price will be apparent by March, I guess wether it is blatently apparent or not depends on your perspective (and mine when I typed it:)).

Wether I hold to this belief until March depends on what happens with IRs, government intervention and credit flow between now and then. If things continue on there current path, I am reasonably confident my speculation will come to pass. There is already a known OS of apartments in Brisbane and a 0.3% decline in recorded December sales prices – it's not being a prophet or anything, just predicting patterns that may lead to an inevitable conclusion.

Reason I have chosen March is because it is 3 months from the end of the FHOB and consitently rising IRs – no real science or stats here it just generally takes a quater for things to become apparent.

dreamtobelieve wrote:
    You should be in politics.

How do you know I'm not?:)

Where you get your figures from nobody will ever know, because the reality is that they are plucked from nowhere. Not once have you ever backed up anything you say with any form of reliable statistics (i.e. ABS, SQM, APM, BIS, Matusik, Residex, Rismark, etc), so until you can demonstrate this I will bid you farewell because your credibility as far as I am concerned is quite simply shot.

I have only persevered with this now pointless debate as there are a lot of first time investors who visit this site and quite frankly it would be nice for them to have a balanced argument to form an educated opinion.

@ummester

dreamtoblelieve,

One of your pin up boys, Joye, came up with the 03% decline in December.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Will-the-housing-market-cool-pd20100129-25VS7?OpenDocument&src=blb

December 1/4 is up 2.9% but month of December is down 0.3%. Admittedly Joys cliames that is becuase December is traditionally slow but slow sholdn't lead to declining prices, should it? Just less sales, I would have thought?

Here is someone from SQM wonderring how there can be a housing shortage if rental vacancys are rising. And suggesting that house price growth may be due to easy credit and not supply/demmand.

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/property/20100122-rise-in-rental-vacancies-raises-questions-about-housing-shortage-and-soaring-prices.html

The declines in 2008 I talked about were recorded by ABS and all over the news at the time, so surely I don't need to cite them again. Articles about Brisbanes apartment OS came out earlier this year, if I see one agian I will link it.

First time investors should be aware of these POVs to keep the debate balanced – if it is all spruik they base their descisions on, then that would be less nice for them.

Profile photo of mrtendermrtender
    @mrtender

Very interesting topic

There is no question –

1. End the the first home buyer grant … PLUS
    2. Rising interest rates … PLUS
    3. Scaling back of government “emergency” policies that induced economic activity ….

EQUALS

Definitely -> More defaulting mortgages
    Definitely -> Flat prices
    Definitely -> Bargains to be had
    Possibly – Real Estate Crash

Profile photo of SurrealistSurrealist
    @surrealist

Isn't this part of the problem when interest rate rises are used to exert some control over the economy?  If the objective is to spend less, then maybe an increase of the GST would be better and more effective. The political party who does that would be committing suicide.

If the property market appears to be flattening out, interest rates can steady or come back down again. The RBA would have to be complete bonkers to keep increasing in a flat property market surely. 

Profile photo of recruit2recruit2
    @recruit2

House values will still rise and go up between here and 2020 for one main reason also that people forget:
    – Just because the median price becomes $1mil and suddenly Mr Average John Smith and his family can’t afford to pay you $1mil for your 3 bed house in Sydney any more, guess what, the population will be booming and some developer will offer you $1mil instead to knock it down and replace with a high rise apartment block.

So as has happened to every single other developed country, land will become more precious and old huge, spacious houses will also start to get replaced by more space-efficient high rises. So in a single block of land, you then split the cost between 10 residents living in the high rise. Maybe they are still only paying $300-$400k for their “unit”, but all of that added up still goes towards purchasing the old house from the buyer who owned that block before the apartment was built.

So think outside the square, it’s not just going to be the same old family with 2 kids paying $1mil, the dynamics will change more and there are still always people with the money and structures to pay the higher prices, just that the dynamics will change. For people who can’t afford that and still want a 3 bedroom house, well they will just move further and further out into regional areas where the price remains low. E.g. move to Cobar in regional NSW and you can find the cheapest houses.

As much as we think houses are expensive now, this country is booming both economically and in terms of population growth, combined with a housing shortage. This can only go one way and people and developers will work out ways to pay the prices! :)

Don’t be one of the whingers who sites on the sideline this time and misses out :) I’ve seen that happen before too.

Participant
    @dreamtobelieve
    ummester wrote:
    dreamtoblelieve,

One of your pin up boys, Joye, came up with the 03% decline in December.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Will-the-housing-market-cool-pd20100129-25VS7?OpenDocument&src=blb

December 1/4 is up 2.9% but month of December is down 0.3%. Admittedly Joys cliames that is becuase December is traditionally slow but slow sholdn't lead to declining prices, should it? Just less sales, I would have thought?

Here is someone from SQM wonderring how there can be a housing shortage if rental vacancys are rising. And suggesting that house price growth may be due to easy credit and not supply/demmand.

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/property/20100122-rise-in-rental-vacancies-raises-questions-about-housing-shortage-and-soaring-prices.html

The declines in 2008 I talked about were recorded by ABS and all over the news at the time, so surely I don't need to cite them again. Articles about Brisbanes apartment OS came out earlier this year, if I see one agian I will link it.

First time investors should be aware of these POVs to keep the debate balanced – if it is all spruik they base their descisions on, then that would be less nice for them.

Last post because this is farcical now. Do you even read the links you post? Because they literally have no relevance to support  your argument in relation to this topic what so ever, it actually supports the argument of the vast majority of property investors who do see property as a viable investment (hence this forum). To claim that a 0.3% month on month decline (particularly as month by month is statistically unreliable, let alone in December) despite a quarterly increase overall means we're heading for decline is insanely short sighted.

Then you post a link demonstrating that vacancy rates have just returned to their long term trends, which could have been forecast by a monkey given the obvious additional incentives for first home buyers to buy and not rent last year, how you have interpreted that this suggests an oversupply leading to a decline in prices is beyond me.

The topic of this thread, was if Australian property was sustainable and a viable investment still. You predicted "imminent declines blatantly apparent by March and there will be definite negative growth (1-5%) reported in the market by that time" and that the "Austrlai property market is in a bubble bigger than any other property bubble in the developed world" yet throughout these countless posts you have never given credible evidence to support these notions, instead you have failed to mediate your point accross, provided a diluted and inconsistent argument (note the "by march", "from march" then "by march" again time frame illustrated in your earlier posts) and even posted links directly opposing your view point.

I personally believe that is highly unlikely that there will be a national decline in prices this year let alone a crash, nor do I think the nation is in for a boom, but I do believe that property is a viable investment for the long term and that with the right combination of activity, research and due diligence it provides an opportunity for anyone to achieve their long term financial goals.

Participant
    @dwolfe
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.