All Topics / Help Needed! / Australian property market; sustainable?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Profile photo of pashabulker1pashabulker1
    @pashabulker1

Hey quickchick,

How can you say that you feel bullish about the mining and resources industries. China has already started to slow down. Give it another 3-4 years and I’m pretty sure china isn’t going to booming much more.

I still think after reading everyones post that now isn’t a good time to buy an IP. I still think prices are inflated, petrol prices are on the increase, the general cost of living is rising, people have huge personal debts and we are historically due for a correction. Not to mention china is slowing!

I am not sure if I am just being pessimistic or realistic and not just blindingly believing prices will continue to rise.

Pasha

Profile photo of quickchickquickchick
    @quickchick

Hi again Pasha.

My perception re China is, they have been artificially trying to slow their economy down so it doesn't keep expanding so quickly.
    They have such a massive population, and a hugely expanding middle class who are getting used to Western comforts, so demand is high. If their growth slows from11%pa to 8%pa, that's a lot of Aussie mining supplies! And we're still talking about them needing 8% more product than last year.

My mining sources suggest that things will be picking up very soon in areas I am investing.

No, I don't have a crystal ball and can  only go on my various reading and personal contacts.

Your points, except for prices being inflated, I agree with. ie petrol prices, cost of living,…. many carry high levels of debt.
    Which all suggest to go for property investing to me. Maybe gradually, less people will be able to buy their own place. So more likely, they'll rent my IP! Rentals scarcer means rents go up. If they only keep up with inflation, I'm going well!

I don't ever suggest you should "hope" prices should rise, and base your investing on that. And you should not invest based on my opinion, neither should Nigel. Because I will not be paying the mortgage on your property. 
    But if you wait for perfect conditions, they'll never be there. And if you don't invest, you'll  never make $$ from property.

You have to know your own risk profile, what you're comfortable with, and invest at that level.

quickchick  

Profile photo of quickchickquickchick
    @quickchick

Hi Pasha.

My understanding of China is that they are trying to slow their growth artificially. If they reduce their growth from 11%pa to 8%pa., they're still going to need 8% MORE of our product than last year.
    My mining sources suggest from Feb things should be picking up as companies increase hiring. (In the area I have property.)

I do not have a crystal ball, and form my opinion  from what I read. You are quite right to have your own views, and base your opinion on that. You may be right. Or not. But you have to know your own risk profile, and invest where the risk fits your views.

I agree with some of your points, ie cost of petrol and living to increase. To me, though, these are reasons to be optimistic in investing. They may deter people from buying, so more renters to rent our IP's! Which over time will increase rents, and if they keeps up with interest rates, I'm happy. 

I don't agree prices are over-inflated. Last year "they: said prices may drop 5-10% and they almost all went up that much in Sydney, Melb, Darwin, …. I believe we have avoided the bust they had in USA and UK.
    The catch is, conditions will never be perfect for property investing. And if you never invest, you'll never make money in property. (Or make a loss, I agree.)

quickchick

Profile photo of dreamtobelievedreamtobelieve
    Participant
    @dreamtobelieve
    as350ba wrote:
    Very interesting topic. Was about to start a thread related to all this, but seems it's already out there.
    My concern was born about, due to the alarming stats posted on "The Morning Show" the other day.
    Now, before I get knocked down in flames by all the Koshy knockers, i'm well aware of the pitfalls of taking stats too literally.
    However, it was noted that most of the major centres in OZ (including Adelaide) fall inside the Top 10 of the "Most Unaffordable Cities in the World to Purchase Realestate". The honours of No1 goes to Vancouver.
    This would tend to hint to me that property prices are due to fall dramatically so as to correct the market.
    We all know about the big credit crunch that hit globally 2008-09, although Australia was largely left unscathed.
    The concern for me then is when are we likely to experience this next "big correction" in the market? This year, next, never?
    I'm currently in the due dil stage of a buy/reno/subdiv(build)/sell deal in Perth CBD. Given this latest sentiment, it's hard for me not to feel more than a little uncertain about committing.
    On the other hand, the contrarians have rightly taken the view that, while the "doomsayers" are crying out no, get in amongst it and take action.
    BTW, I believe I've been conservative in my number crunching, but then no amount of number crunching can compete with a burst in the property bubble.
    Should I take it seriously? Happy for my pessimistic opinion to be knocked down in flames;-) Be interested to hear from others in the same position.

Cheers all, Nigel

Just thought it was appropriate to mention that despite the name "demographia international housing affordability survey" it is not a survey of the "worlds" most unaffordable cities as its only looks at 6 countries i.e. Australia, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, UK, US and Canada http://www.demographia.com/dhi.pdf. Also if memory serves me correctly half the most unaffordable places listed here, were also on the list of best cities in the world to live in relation to standard of living. Personally I think the rationale in the formula is a bit on the simplistic side, but if people want to give them selves an excuse not to buy then so be it.

As a certain Mr Buffet once said "Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful".

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    dreamtobelieve wrote:
    As a certain Mr Buffet once said "Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful".

So when was the last time people in Australia were economically fearful?

The majority have been greedy for at least a decade and fueled our housing bubble with that greed. When the rest of the world had property downturns, Australia didn't because of 2 things achieved by the combined actions of our government and banks:

1. Consumer confidence.
    2. Flow of credit.

Just to set some posts straight.

USAs housing oversupply only became known after the crash, before than their nation was full of the same property spruik as ours. In addition, not all US states allow non-recourse loans. Most of the US mortgage holders in negative equity cannot walk away, although their supreme court is now looking at the validity of low doc mortgages that were sold off.

British Isle property markets like the UK and Ireland still claim an undersupply but crashed anyway. They crashed when credit supply was restricted. Unbelievably, Poms and Irishmen, like people here, were happy to pay ridiculous prices for houses but the banks just wouldn't let them.

I thought our market would crash in 2009 and it would of if not for the FHOB, lowered interest rates and the flow of credit. Now, who knows when it will be on? But make no mistake, all bubbles eventually burst.

My current line of thinking is that an oversupply of apartments will become blatantly apparent by March and there will be definite negative growth (1-5%) reported in the market by that time. How the government, the RBA our banks, media and the REI as a whole respond is anyone’s guess.

Profile photo of pashabulker1pashabulker1
    @pashabulker1

Before reading ummester’s post I thinking exactly the same thing, fearing other peoples greed which has been the case for the last 10 years. I think its pretty ironic to quote Buffet like that!

Participant
    @dreamtobelieve

Curious as to who exactly is claiming there is an undersupply in the British markets? The Sun, Daily Mirror or the Sport? The fundamentals of the markets are completely different.

Sorry to be cliched again but there is no Australian market, just markets within markets. The successful property investors are the ones who make educated decisions, understand it is a long term strategy, consider the risks and can pick the appropriate time and place to enter and exit the market.

Whats interesting is when you look back through the years of posts on this site to see the same old negative spiel regurgittated back over and over again. Too many people listen to whats reported in the mainstream media and don't consider the facts.

Participant
    @dreamtobelieve

Unmester you may want to start lacing up  those hiking boots and follow Mr Keen upto mount Kosciusko with your prediction by the way. I will look out to see your retrospective view come March.

Profile photo of Marie123Marie123
    Participant
    @marie123

Given Steve has done a great job with selling his idea that Dec 09- Jun 10 is the time to buy property, (and if everyone listens to that idea) perhaps you should buy after the middle of the year???  (am I allowed to say that here?)

Profile photo of HorsaHorsa
    @horsa

I am definitely in the pessimist camp – especially about Perth. Scanned the web for an IP but was shocked by what you get for the price. Gut feel is it is due for a correction. Remember the 10 year resource supercycle? was more like 3 years and the global recovery looks very shakey.

I live overseas but visited Perth recently and spoke to a mate who works on Gorgon. He pointed out the vast bulk of the engineering work is being carried out overseas. Thats the high end design work and fabrication of advanced equipment to be shipped modularly to Australia. Onsite of course is a vast horde of boilermakers and sparkies to put it all together. That puts things in perspective.

Buyer be veryware!

@ummester
    dreamtobelieve wrote:

Unmester you may want to start lacing up  those hiking boots and follow Mr Keen upto mount Kosciusko with your prediction by the way. I will look out to see your retrospective view come March.

Keen clarifies that he had no idea how much future debt our government would throw at our property market to keep it afloat, after he made his predictions of a 2008/2009 crash. I would walk up the mountain with him, even though I do not trust that Australian media gives an unbiased view of what is really happenning in the property market – some media companies own property monitors and RE advertising pays for the biggest percentage of our media.

What the government spent on property in 2009 to produce the best growth since 2003 has to be paid back eventually – probably with higher taxes. Even this forums founder acknowledges that.

With the inevitability of rising taxes and rising IRs – how much money do you think consumers are going to have to throw at housing? Remember Oct 2008? 8% IRs was enough to give the market wobbles and that was when mortgages were 10-15% less and homebuyers were less leveraged.

@ummester
    dreamtobelieve wrote:

Curious as to who exactly is claiming there is an undersupply in the British markets? The Sun, Daily Mirror or the Sport? The fundamentals of the markets are completely different.

Sorry to be cliched again but there is no Australian market, just markets within markets. The successful property investors are the ones who make educated decisions, understand it is a long term strategy, consider the risks and can pick the appropriate time and place to enter and exit the market.

Whats interesting is when you look back through the years of posts on this site to see the same old negative spiel regurgittated back over and over again. Too many people listen to whats reported in the mainstream media and don't consider the facts.

So there is one British market but Australia has markets within markets? Even though there are a heap more people over there?

I agree that too many people listen to the mainstream spruik media.

There is no denying that, as a whole, the Austrlai property market is in a bubble bigger than any other property bubble in the developed world. Sure, there could still be growth left in patches of it, dependant on how the powers to be deal with the siuation but to deny the exsistance of such an obvious situation is silly.

Recently, I spoke with some homeowners who wanted to upgrade from a 3 bedder they brought in the 90s and have paid off. To add a room to it now will cost them more than their original mortgage did – only 10 years later. To sell and upgrade could also cost them more than their original mortgage. How can that not represent an asset bubble.

From 1999 – 2009 wages went up from 30-50%, on averge. Houses went up around 200% on averge.

A cheap mortgage now cost a third as much PA as a cheap rental.

Do the maths and use a bit of logic.

Profile photo of steve-investsteve-invest
    @steve-invest

Market stats indicate that property in the capital cities are taking an upward swing again, and Investors are flooding back to the market. Now is the time to buy, I’ve seen it all before. Heres an interesting article… “Investor loans surge as first homebuyers head for the exits
    20th January 2010

Investors have become the main driving force of the property market following a mass exodus of first homebuyers.

According to the latest data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the total value of loans taken for investment purposes climbed by 2.1%. Over the year, investment loans have increased by 26.1%, the best showing in over two years.

“The improvement in economic conditions – particularly in the labour market, should improve investor sentiment in the housing sector,” said Craig James, chief economist with CommSec. “Stronger population growth and rising rents will ensure the housing sector plays a key part in the economic recovery.”

In contrast, the number of new homebuyer loans has plunged by 5.9% in November to its lowest level in 10 months and follows a follows a 2% fall in October. First homebuyers now account for 22.1% of the total market, down from 26% in October.

Looking forward, the near term data is likely to look weak, largely due to potential home buyers having brought forward planned purchases over the past year according to James.

“It is clear that the interest rate hikes are starting to bite. Overall the housing sector looks like it may be starting to consolidate after what has been a phenomenal run over the last year.”

However, James pointed out that despite the recent weakness, housing finance is still up over 14% in annual terms and in recent times construction loans have surged by over 100% compared with a year ago.

“In the midterm as the economic recovery becomes more concrete, budding home buyers are likely to feel more confident about the future outlook and move forward on planned purchases,” he said.”Steve.

Profile photo of SurrealistSurrealist
    @surrealist
    ummester wrote:
    dreamtobelieve wrote:
    From 1999 – 2009 wages went up from 30-50%, on averge. Houses went up around 200% on averge.

A cheap mortgage now cost a third as much PA as a cheap rental.

Do the maths and use a bit of logic.

Interesting, where do those figures come from? Also what do you mean by "A cheap mortgage now cost a third as much as PA as a cheap rental"?

Participant
    @dreamtobelieve
    ummester wrote:
    dreamtobelieve wrote:

So there is one British market but Australia has markets within markets?

That would be why I said markets and not market.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi all,

My advice to all the negative posts on this thread would be to start your own website! You could call it http://www.notpropertyinvesting.com or alternatelty http://www.countingonthepension.com.

You could talk about how now is the wrong time to invest, how much money you don't have and how you don't like money, property or shares or investing! I think you may even have 5 or 6 people who would regularly want to catch up with each other to out doom and  gloom each other on "the market"!

You could also move out of your homes ( for many reasons including because the house price is inflated and so is the rent) and live in caves! This could be the answer to getting away from devils such as property investors and evils such as making money!

It would probably free up space on this forum for people who GENUINELY want to know and learn and gather creditable information from like minded people who are not out to gain something in return.

Enjoy your day!

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Participant
    @dreamtobelieve
    DWolfe wrote:
    Hi all,

My advice to all the negative posts on this thread would be to start your own website! You could call it http://www.notpropertyinvesting.com or alternatelty http://www.countingonthepension.com.

You could talk about how now is the wrong time to invest, how much money you don't have and how you don't like money, property or shares or investing! I think you may even have 5 or 6 people who would regularly want to catch up with each other to out doom and  gloom each other on "the market"!

You could also move out of your homes ( for many reasons including because the house price is inflated and so is the rent) and live in caves! This could be the answer to getting away from devils such as property investors and evils such as making money!

It would probably free up space on this forum for people who GENUINELY want to know and learn and gather creditable information from like minded people who are not out to gain something in return.

Enjoy your day!

D

couldn't agree more.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

hehehe love it DWolfe – can't wait to meet you at the gathering next week :-)

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

@ummester
    dreamtobelieve wrote:

That would be why I said markets and not market.

Yet you spoke about them as if they were one?

Sorry, I forgot this before but here are some links about the British undersupply.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2945465/Shortage-of-stock-and-keen-buyers-raise-house-prices.html

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2007/11/05/afx4303757.html

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2006/12/14/afx3253751.html

Sound familar? The spruik there then, almost mirrors here now (as did PI sentiment). Only difference is that here the banks let the credit flow and our govt. gave us an extra 7-14k to spend on houses in 2009. I could go into some detail as to how and why this all happened (have been studying it for a couple of years now) but i get the feeling that you don't really care.

Hey, DWolfe, if your vision of this forum is so pure – why would threads like this be opened in the first place? All POVs are valid and may contain credible information – not just yours.

Investement isn't a religion, it isn't about unwavering faith, it is about wieghing up the pros and cons. The OP raised a question, for which there are more answers than just the PIs, spruikers or REAs.

It's really simple – the only possible way Australia can have the capital growth in housing over the next 10 years as it has over the last 10 is if we become a hyperinflationary and devalue the dollar with ever flowing credit. If credit stops flowing, the market will downturn and possibly crash.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

All point of views are valid, contrary or otherwise. Investment is not a religion rather a passion which will in turn elicit passionate responses.

When there are similar postings made by people who have only posted once or twice and they all seem to be in agreeance then my inner cynic wonders why they would come to a site and a forum so obviously pro investment. Negative spruikers? Recruiters for the unwavering Steve Keen? Please don't tell me that there aren't people with a vested interest in creating a fear of the market and inducing people not to buy.

I believe that a forum is for everyone, but I also get tired of the same old argument that pops up that the sky is falling, the world is flat and that developers and investors are greedy, greedy pigs. While it is a persons right to a view point and to post it it is also my right to post a rebuttal and a choice of humor rather than a straight antagonist post is sometimes a nicer way of getting a point across.

I'll check out the links as information costs nothing but generally I don't believe everything I read and see. Also the hyper-inflationary comment…..how much did food cost years ago? Cars? How much was the average wage? Maybe if commentators had seen house prices etc today they would have called the current situation hyper-inflationary. Inflation is a part of life and it will not go away it can only be managed, therefore prices will rise.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.