All Topics / Value Adding / cost of building a townhouse in melbourne

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of jimh12jimh12
    @jimh12

hi everyone,

I’ve got a corner property that I would like to build a property at the back of.

The property is in the NW suburbs of melbourne.

Their is an existing 3 bedroom house single storey house at the front of the block which I would like to keep.

There is approx 15m by 15m that I could build with at the rear of the block that I would like to build a 2 storey 3 bedroom townhouse with 17 sq of living area.

Has someone built a property of this size lately in Melbourne, and if so could you recommend some builders?

I am planning to rent it out initially and potentially selling it at a later stage.

Could you give me some indications on the price as well?

Is it best to go to a draftsman/archictect first , then approach a builder with the approved plans? or could I save some money by just going straight to the builder?

Jim

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi,

I think you are probably looking around the 180-230k maybe more depending on finish. I think you are better off approaching builders with approved plans, they just want to build.

We are almost finished with our builder, Duroble and will probably use them again, depending on how the last finish is done. We used an architect to do the whole planning process which worked really well for us.

Good luck it is worth it.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of phillandjabphillandjab
    @phillandjab

Hi

From past experience I found it better to talk to the council before engaging a draftsman,see what they will or won't allow you to build.Then proceed and get your plans drawn up.If you go straight to adraftsman and tell them to draw up what you want sure they'll do it but if council don't agree with the plans or you get any objections you will have to change plans at acost or go to VCAT at a cost.

Good luck

Participant
    @dwolfe

This is good advice. I called the council and asked about what we could put there. Our architect spoke to council etc before doing up any plans so it is wise to check first. Less money spent the better!

D

Email Me

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

The earlier you approach the town planning department with your ideas the better. Having said that, you also need to have some idea of what it is you are trying to achieve. To do this you need to either be able to explain yourself particularly well, or have some basic sketch plans or land use plans to help communicate your ideas. Keep in mind also that the town planning departments also have objectives (especially regarding density) that do not concur with state planning regulations, so don't let them "pull the wool".

The benefit of communicating early with the TP department is that they are more likely to "buy into" your proposal if they feel they are being included early in the process. The opposite can also be the case; drop a whole lot of documentation on the TP department and they'll have more issues to argue about! So in summary, go early, go prepared, be inclusive and understand your rights and obligations in town planning law.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your project.

Profile photo of jimh12jimh12
    @jimh12

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far.  BTW I have rang the council up and told them what I wanted to do and they seem ok with it in principle.  I didn't have any plans to show them I just explained what I ws planning to do and they mentioned that there were no overlays in place that would prevent me from building a townhouse at the back.  Of course I will have to abide by rescode , etc etc.

The front house is currently tenanted .itsa 3 bdrm and council says that I will need 2 car spaces at the back if I was to build in the back yard.  Does that mean I need to get the carspaces and crossover done first before I build at the back? or will council allow me to do that after the build is complete and still letme rent the front house out?

BTW I saw a guy from National Builders group and they do small townhouses as well.  Looks like a 23.8 sq dble storey townhouse is approx $209,000. 

Participant
    @dwolfe

I wouldn't have thought so. I would have thought that in the plans that this would need to be included. Generally crossovers etc are last. When the builder pours for driveways to the back then the extra spaces can be done then. Were the council saying that you need 2 spaces for the front house or the back? Either way it wont be much of a problem unless the block is really tight but an architect/dm can advise you of this. You can still rent out the front house but make sure the tenant knows exactly what is happening and that this is factored into the rent for the period u will be building.

D

Email Me

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

You could look at the Villa 24 from Formula Homes, It is the least expensive 2 storey I have found in that size range (it is 24 squares). Base cost is 194k and they do a luxury package for an extra 7k. The are also very flexible on making changes to the plans.

http://www.formulahomes.com.au/#/urban/

http://www.formulahomes.com.au/content/promos/selectAdvantage.pdf

Profile photo of jcso99jcso99
    Participant
    @jcso99

Hi all,

I am looking to develop 4 unit townhouses in Bayswater. My initial thought is to engage a draftsman/architect who would help me with drawing up initial plans to secure the town planning permit. Once that is done, the same draftsman/architect will get the detailed construction drawings and other necessary documentation to obtain the building permit. Once that is done, will engage a builder to start the construction and engage a contract administrator to oversee the builder on regular basis.

Would appreciate your feedback on my thoughts. Secondly, would love to know whether anybody would be able to recommend a reliable draftsman/architect during the planning permit stage and recommend a reliable builder and contract administrator during construction stage?

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Cheers
    John So

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb
    jcso99 wrote:

Hi all,

I am looking to develop 4 unit townhouses in Bayswater. My initial thought is to engage a draftsman/architect who would help me with drawing up initial plans to secure the town planning permit. Once that is done, the same draftsman/architect will get the detailed construction drawings and other necessary documentation to obtain the building permit. Once that is done, will engage a builder to start the construction and engage a contract administrator to oversee the builder on regular basis.

Would appreciate your feedback on my thoughts. Secondly, would love to know whether anybody would be able to recommend a reliable draftsman/architect during the planning permit stage and recommend a reliable builder and contract administrator during construction stage?

Cheers
    John So

Hi John,

It seems you have your plan well established, and the method you have outlined – in my opinion – is the right one. I would also offer the following advice for you:

Spend as little time and money as possible in obtaining feedback from the local council as to the suitability of your proposal and the likelihood of council support. This is important in moving ahead with confidence. You can do this yourself, or have someone do it on your behalf. The decisions made at this early stage of the process will impact most decisions that follow.

Try to find an architect/drafts-person that can take your proposal from this initial stage through to the building stage. This will ensure continuity between the concepts, TPP documentation and working drawings. This should ensure there is less chance of interpretation issues.

When it comes to the administration and project management of the project, ensure you have a fixed price contract for the builder, and that there are as few "prime cost" and "provisional sum" items as possible. This will help control the costs of the project.

And, of course, do your due diligence regarding price pointing and demand in the area you are targeting, whether the proposal is to sell for profit or to hold and rent out the propoerty. No use putting together a well planned project if there's no demand!

Good luck getting your project off the ground.

Profile photo of bigblueitbigblueit
    Participant
    @bigblueit

Hi jsco99,

I have recently been through a dual occ planning permit process with my architect and can strongly recommend them.

Company is Petridis architects in Ivanhoe.  I am in the process of getting working drawings done for the building permit and they have been excellent to deal with througout, especially their responses to council queries/concerns with the development etc.

Good luck with it, its a long process but well worth it!

Harry

jcso99 wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers
    John So

Profile photo of wolverine69wolverine69
    @wolverine69

hey i know this thread is a year old.   how did you go with this????im looking at going through property subdivision and qouted me 180K for a double story 2 bedroom and maybe a study on a 9-11 square including garage. what do you guys think??? and the they do all the work on getting the permits and planning for$23k

Profile photo of fdafda
    @fda
    wolverine69 wrote:
    hey i know this thread is a year old.   how did you go with this????
    im looking at going through property subdivision and qouted me 180K for a double story 2 bedroom and maybe a study on a 9-11 square including garage. what do you guys think??? and the they do all the work on getting the permits and planning for$23k

Hi Wolverine,

the construction cost for dual occ developments depend on how much changes is required to be made to the existing dwelling and the driveway etc. From my experience a 100m2 double storey dwelling with 2 garages (1 for each occ) will cost at about $150k.

As to permit applications we normally charge about $20k for a development like yours. It will include all architectural, structural, land survey, town planning and building permit application. If you like you can PM me with your email address and I will send you a clear breakdown for the quote.

FDA

Profile photo of MstreeMstree
    @mstree

Hi all sorry to hijack but I’m looking at building one 20-23 sq townhouse in melb on small block of land 220sqm and was wondering how long planning process will take and what’s involved etc I’d ideally want someone to take care of all this and i already have plans drawn up by architect. Any help appreciated

Profile photo of Ultra PropertyUltra Property
    @ultra-property
    jimh12 wrote:
    Could you give me some indications on the price as well? Is it best to go to a draftsman/archictect first , then approach a builder with the approved plans? or could I save some money by just going straight to the builder? Jim

Best to find an architect/draftsman that you like and get a town planner to see what can be built on the site. During the design stage get a builder on board as his comments will assist in saving you money when it comes to construction.

I don't know the prices in Melbourne but up in Brisbane you can pay $190k for a basic townhouse up to $250k for a boutique architecturally design townhouse. Its very hard for builders to give a estimation without any plans for specifications.

This link may help.
    http://www.bmtqs.com.au/ConstructionCostTable.aspx

Profile photo of Ultra PropertyUltra Property
    @ultra-property
    jcso99 wrote:

Cheers
    John So

There are a couple of project managers in Melbourne that can assist you in this area, they would also have contacts with architects and builders and other consultants..

Profile photo of DougymanDougyman
    @dougyman

Hi All,

Sorry to highjack this thread. I am looking to build a duplex on a 15m x 40m block in Heatherton. Does anyone know a quantity builder with some spec plans? Metricon have the “Kooyong” which seems perfect but at 650K for the 2, it seems very expensive. is this expensive? I am tossing up wether to go down the line of architect/draftsman/tender to builder approach or if i can find a builder with spec plans it may cheaper and quicker. I am also considering going owner builder.

any advice on the issue would be great.

This is the link to the kooyong:
    http://www.metricon.com.au/melbourne/multi-dwelling/dual-occupancy/kooyong

Profile photo of MauriceSMauriceS
    @maurices

Hi Dougyman,

At what stage is your development?

Have metricon given you a price specific to your site is that the price of their standard product?

Regards Maurice

Profile photo of DougymanDougyman
    @dougyman

Hi Maurice,
    Metricon have just given me an estimate the base price is $260K with some allowances it they estimate about $315k each dwelling. I have allowed the rest for demolition. they need to do some preliminaries before they will give me a price specific to our site. We are at the start, need to demolish and build and all the planning and permits.

cheers

Profile photo of BreeceBreece
    Participant
    @breece

Hi Dougyman,

That price seems a bit steep for a development of that size and scale.

As with all things in life there are pro’s and con’s for going down the path of Spec Home building. I’m sure Metricon offer a very good package deal, and would take care of all the hassle for you. This however may come at a premium.

Another path to happiness is to consider engaging an Architect or Draftsman to design a dual occ or mulit-unit development with a Town Planner that suits the site conditions of your block.

Kingston City Council are generally very good to work with, and the Town Planning Department down there runs effectively. Local policies are generally supportive of development, and you can avoid VCAT through good design and consultation early in the process.
    It is always a good idea to discuss your concept plans with Council before signing any contracts, or engaging someone to complete your drawings.

I would recommend you consider your options, and seek out several quotes from draftsmen, planners and designers. Choose someone who will get you the results you desire and is the right fit for you.

All the best,
    Breece

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.