All Topics / Value Adding / cost of building a townhouse in melbourne

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of JasonGengJasonGeng
    @jasongeng

Hi all

I got my planning permit to bulid a double-story townhouse at the back of exsiting house, through a private town planner. The council is maroodah coucil. The living area is about 125 (ground floor) + 89 (first floor) = 214 m2, and the garage is about 40 m2. National builders group gave me a qoute of about 370k. The house itself is about 290K. The site cost all added up together is aobut another 80K. I am thinking it is too expensive. Does anyone have any idea of this price.
    The guy from National Builders Group explained to me that their base plan is 190 m2 with a price of 234k, my extra living area and some other modifiactions to their base plans cost me about 56k extra on the house itself.
    I had a friend who use national builder group built a big double story house about 400m2, only cost him around 320k in 2009.  I did check with the guy from national builders group why the price can be so different. he explained that in 2009, the price was the lowest. Now has risen a lot.
    any kind of hints on the price will be appreciated.
    Btw, it took me 1.5 years to get my town planning permit, really very tough period.

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Well seems like there are no rights or wrongs here. There seem to be different points if view as always.
    Sometimes this gets confusing. The best you can do is to be as well prepared and educated as you can on all options- architect or drafts person. Get quotes from both and see what feels best for you.

Profile photo of DougymanDougyman
    @dougyman

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice Breece.  

so I'm down the track now, we have our planning permit after deciding to use a building design firm to submit drawings and application to council. Process has been fairly easy as we have a design we are really happy with – side by side double story 212 square meter town houses.  I'm just wondering what a ball park figure for architectural drawings, engineering and other documentation required for building permit  should cost.  I just got the quote back from the building designer of $12.5k and this seems like a lot to me, especially after we have already paid around $17k for the planning permit. Any advice here would be great. Cheers

Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1

It's hard to say without looking at the plans and your Town Planning Permit conditions. $12k sounds ok, maybe a touch over if anything. 

Oscar

Profile photo of mark3180mark3180
    Participant
    @mark3180

I know it was a while ago but how did you end up?
    Im looking at doing exactly the same thing with the duplex side by side.
    Did you go with Metricon?
    How much did you spend all up?

Profile photo of #Planning Permit#Planning Permit
    Participant
    @planning

So much interest in property development shows the confidence in the market. Key things to watch out for when designing to build are available or developable land if retaining the existing house. We recommend retention is good as not only one retains the asset but its easier to obtain a bank loan with a higher LVR. Site orientation, fall of land, availability and location of services, non restrictive property titles are just a few other things to watch out for. By all means talk to Councils planning officers but if you don’t know the regulations do your research first as Planning Officers are there to answer questions usually.You will save yourself a lot of headaches in the future.Best to do a strong site analysis to avoid future disappointments! Moreover planning officers at most Councils are inundated with Planning Applications as some 14 metro Councils are still in the transition stage when it comes to rezoning. Build costs can range depending on topography, location of essential services and design and finishes. But if its single storey around $1100 sqm is the norm for mid range and if you add an upper floor- however small- the rate shoots up to $1300 K+ Good luck. BTW A 15x15m corner land should yield a good sizded double storey after allowing for open space, parking etc for the existing house.

#Planning Permit | AuArchitecture
    http://www.auarchitecture.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Subdivision expert with 250 planning permits approved by Melbourne Councils

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.