All Topics / General Property / Bubble due to burst…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs

http://www.theage.com.au/national/housing-prices-its-all-relative-20090125-7pgu.html

"AUSTRALIA has among the least affordable houses in the world, according to an international study that suggests our price "bubble" is due to burst."

A comparison of median house prices with median household incomes in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Britain and the United States found that Australia had the most cities in the "severely unaffordable" bracket — in which prices are more than five times incomes.

The Sunshine Coast in Queensland was the least affordable area, ahead of the Gold Coast, ranked third, Sydney, in fifth place, and Melbourne in 12th place.

These were all deemed less affordable than New York, London, Dublin and Miami.

The report, by international public policy group Demographia, said affordability in Australia was worsening relative to Britain, Ireland and New Zealand — where prices had collapsed recently. Australia would be next.

"Sooner or later, the inherent instability that characterises virtually all bubbles will lead to house price declines in Australia," the comprehensive report said.

But CommSec economist Savanth Sebastian said falling interest rates and first-home buyers' grants would probably help to maintain house prices.

"We are not going to see dramatic falls this year," he said. Mr Sebastian said more first-home buyers arranged finance in November than in the previous 12 months.

The Demographia study shows not that housing on the Sunshine Coast is more expensive than in New York, but that median prices relative to median wages are worse.

Alan Moran, from the Institute of Public Affairs, said Australia might already have experienced its house-price collapse over the past couple of months, and that affordability issues were not going away.

"Adjusted for inflation, the average house price in Australia is now more than twice what is was 20 years ago," said Mr Moran, who favours reducing the current set of rules and regulations governing house building in Australia, including around Melbourne's urban growth boundary.

Awwwww but isnt property garaunteed to double every 7 years? lol

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff

The government has things around the wrong way,  Falling house prices is the Solution,  NOT the problem.  After all, Isn't more affordable housing a good thing ?  Perhaps not to the so called investors who bought 3 beddy's at 400k

The bubble is looking for a pin and sooner or later it's going to find one.

Profile photo of harbharb
    @harb
    blogs wrote:

The Sunshine Coast in Queensland was the least affordable area, ahead of the Gold Coast, ranked third, Sydney, in fifth place, and Melbourne in 12th place.

Since when are  Sunshine & Gold Coasts cities ? I was under the impression they were holiday destinations.
    What a surprise, canal homes on Gold Coast  and  apartments in Mooloolaba are unaffordable to the average worker on median incomes.  Isn't that why they have Ipswich and Gympie for ?

Quote:

The Demographia study shows not that housing on the Sunshine Coast is more expensive than in New York, but that median prices relative to median wages are worse.

So its all smoke and mirrors and housing on Sunshine Coast is NOT more expensive then New York ?

Quote:
    Awwwww but isnt property garaunteed to double every 7 years? lol

Lets see, Brisbane median prices 7 years ago were around $200K  and now they are$400k+  ….Yes, looks like it is "garaunteed to double every 7 years" 
    Even adjusted for inflation you would be well ahead of just keeping your money in a bank.  

Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs

We are on the cusp of a prolonged recession, if not depression, unemployment will be double current amounts by years end, property prices in Australia are about to get smashed and you are laughing because of the past bubble? Better hurry up and sell or you wont be alughing for much longer IMHO-lets be honest here, things are about to turn nasty very quickly, you niave enough to think Oz will be imune?

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    harb wrote:
    Lets see, Brisbane median prices 7 years ago were around $200K  and now they are$400k+  ….Yes, looks like it is "garaunteed to double every 7 years" 
    Even adjusted for inflation you would be well ahead of just keeping your money in a bank.  

You are still the ultimate proptimist:) Brings a smile to my dial.

Obviously I haven't been away long enough. I'll check back in another few months and see how your confidence in this market is.

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales
    hbbehrendorff wrote:
    The bubble is looking for a pin and sooner or later it's going to find one.

Except for old kruddy desperately running around with a pincushion!  I believe we should see the release of just such a pincushion tomorrow designed to prop up the lower end of the commercial property sector.   Be interesting to see what he tries next.  Sooner or later, surely he's going to run out of pincushions.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

What i want to know is what happens to prices when they hit bottom. Do we all really believe they will stay there. If things have improved economy wise and sentiment has changed then it is a fair call to suggets that they will trend upwards in value from that low. At what speed i dont know but here we are comparing Aussie prices at the begining of a correction to those that have already had theres. Apparently we tend to follow these other countries so when we are nearing our bottom of the cycle theres a good chance that our housing affordability will look as good if not better than these other countries due to ther prices trending up again. And this does not have to be because of 50% drops. A small correction down for us and a correction up for these other countries will bring things back in line rather quickly.

@ummester
    devo76 wrote:
    What i want to know is what happens to prices when they hit bottom. Do we all really believe they will stay there. If things have improved economy wise and sentiment has changed then it is a fair call to suggets that they will trend upwards in value from that low. At what speed i dont know but here we are comparing Aussie prices at the begining of a correction to those that have already had theres. Apparently we tend to follow these other countries so when we are nearing our bottom of the cycle theres a good chance that our housing affordability will look as good if not better than these other countries due to ther prices trending up again. And this does not have to be because of 50% drops. A small correction down for us and a correction up for these other countries will bring things back in line rather quickly.

Our upward momentum will be based on our economy – not other counties housing markets. I think it is wishful thinking to believe that if the American property market starts to trend up Australia's will also by default. We didn't trend down when they started, did we? Australia always suffers a lag and some states in Australia always lag more than others.

Besides, who says America will trend up again. This could be it for the US. We may have to wait for China to develop enough to sustain it's own growth before Australia booms again.

Ultimately, though, you answer is in your question. Housing in Australia will trend up when it is affordable and economically viable to do so. If wages are increasing and employment is going up and commodities are booming, then there is a fair chance the market will trend up again.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

The median house prices in Australian capital cities when compared to other cities is a furphy. Why? Our expectations for housing has changed dramatically over the past 50 years. We now expect to buy a 4-5 bedroom new house in the outer suburbs at or around the median price whereas 20 years ago we expected 3-4 bedrooms and prior to that 2-3 bedrooms was the norm. If you compare our expectations with those of the highly developed housing markets OS, their expectations haven't changed – they still have the same dilapidated housing and high densities that have existed for decades.

There are plenty of affordable sub-median priced housing options available, you just need to know where to look. (There are just as many sales below the median price as above it).

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76
    ummester wrote:
    devo76 wrote:

Our upward momentum will be based on our economy – not other counties housing markets. I think it is wishful thinking to believe that if the American property market starts to trend up Australia's will also by default. We didn't trend down when they started, did we? Australia always suffers a lag and some states in Australia always lag more than others.

Besides, who says America will trend up again. This could be it for the US. We may have to wait for China to develop enough to sustain it's own growth before Australia booms again.

Ultimately, though, you answer is in your question. Housing in Australia will trend up when it is affordable and economically viable to do so. If wages are increasing and employment is going up and commodities are booming, then there is a fair chance the market will trend up again.

True. I didnt mean we track there housing. I agree its the health of the economy that will turn things around and we are clearly lagging these other power house countries by a year or so. this to me means we may still be at the bottom while they are heading up again and just as they dragged us down. They will aid in our recovery.I still believe the US will be our world leaders. I mean they clearly effected the world when they slowed so its fair to say they will effect the world in a positive way when they recover.  I agree we have more downward movement to go but not evenly across the board. There is some good buying out there now for Ip and PPOR.

Profile photo of Michael 888Michael 888
    Participant
    @michael-888
    IP Freely wrote:
    The median house prices in Australian capital cities when compared to other cities is a furphy. Why? Our expectations for housing has changed dramatically over the past 50 years. We now expect to buy a 4-5 bedroom new house in the outer suburbs at or around the median price whereas 20 years ago we expected 3-4 bedrooms and prior to that 2-3 bedrooms was the norm. If you compare our expectations with those of the highly developed housing markets OS, their expectations haven't changed – they still have the same dilapidated housing and high densities that have existed for decades.

There are plenty of affordable sub-median priced housing options available, you just need to know where to look. (There are just as many sales below the median price as above it).

On this theme, the whingers will however continue to complain because they have allowed themselves to be conditioned by the purveyors of instant gratification…..vendors of consume now, pay later, interest free for 40 months, etc.

Solution is quite simple…..pay yourself first by living beneath your means, invest and re-invest the returns to compound. When a deposit is achieved, buy what you can comfortably afford and trade up as salary and equity position allows. Requires a re-evaluation of priorities and expectations. 

Note, that I said the solution was simple however I did not say the solution was easy…..easy implies lazy and no effort. People are always free to choose between instant versus delayed (or at least moderated) gratification and consumption.

Some folk like to look rich with fancy cars and high status artefacts…..big hat and no cattle   .  The minority just get on with the job and allow tincture of time to do its job………or maybe they're just LUCKY

These are less than bullish times, however people's expectations need to return from blue sky well above median house price aspirations that some first home buyers have.

@harb
    ummester wrote:
    harb wrote:

You are still the ultimate proptimist:) Brings a smile to my dial.

Obviously I haven't been away long enough. I'll check back in another few months and see how your confidence in this market is.

Say it ain't so and prices have not doubled in the past 7 years.

Profile photo of ScampScamp
    @scamp
    harb wrote:

Houseprices, under normal circumstances, double every 10 years. Noone said they don't.
    The explanation is simple : Inflation. Everything doubles / triples / quadruples every 10 years. My income in the last 10 years has quadrupled for instance. Did I do particularily well ? hm… well no , everything has become more expensive in the meantime, so I'm not that much better off. Ofcourse I have a better job and I earn more, but overall, I didn't become richer by a factor 4. Maybe a factor 2.
    So, what does this all mean ? In the last 10 years houseprices have gone up MORE than double. And this is exactly the problem. In some places houseprices have doubled, but most have tripled, quadrupled or even worse.
    This will mean there's a correction coming, because unlike housing, the wages didn't quadruple. They didn't move much actually, hence there's a correction coming. Housing doubled compared to wages, and need to come down 50% now to get back to normal. Probably more because credit is not available anymore and people have gotten themselves so much in debt that there are less buyers without creditcards / huge loans etc.
    We'll go back to the 'traditional 3* median income' which means median houseprices in Sydney / Melbourne will come back to 200.000 abouts. And perhaps we will overshoot the crash and end up like Detroit, but any less than 50% ( in real terms , inflation corrected ) will not be happening. By real terms I mean simply this :
    Median houseprices = 4* median income.

And that's already on the top price. Usually I'd use 3*, I'll be on the safe side here, and only predict meager drops of 50% overall.

@harb
    blogs wrote:
    We are on the cusp of a prolonged recession, if not depression, unemployment will be double current amounts by years end, property prices in Australia are about to get smashed and you are laughing because of the past bubble?

So you are predicting a prolonged recession and unemployment at 9%  ? I've seen better in early 80's. :-)
    Property prices about to get smashed ? I don't think so. For that to happen we'd have to be in a property bubble which we aren't, despite what the potential buyers on ghpc would want us to believe.  Btw, have you actually been in a recession yourself  or are you just reciting from the ghpc manual ?

Quote:
    Better hurry up and sell or you wont be alughing for much longer IMHO-lets be honest here, things are about to turn nasty very quickly, you niave enough to think Oz will be imune?

You are not getting impatient to buy, are you ? ;-)
    If I didn't sell when interest rates were much higher and rents much lower why would I want to sell now ? I've heard that things were about to turn nasty before, everything from recessions, war with Argentina over some pissy island, Halley's comet crashing to Earth and the big  Y2K which was going to send us back to the stone age. Somehow I managed to survive these extinction events so I'm preety sure that I can handle unemployment at double the current amounts.

@harb
    Scamp wrote:
    harb wrote:

Houseprices, under normal circumstances, double every 10 years. Noone said they don't.
    The explanation is simple : Inflation. Everything doubles / triples / quadruples every 10 years. My income in the last 10 years has quadrupled for instance. Did I do particularily well ? hm… well no , everything has become more expensive in the meantime, so I'm not that much better off.

Ah, but in that case we can't be in a real bubble since most of price increases have been caused by inflation.  Any small real increases can be justified by the increase in the population numbers and  an increase in size and quality of our homes.   

Quote:
    Housing doubled compared to wages, and need to come down 50% now to get back to normal. Probably more because credit is not available anymore and people have gotten themselves so much in debt that there are less buyers without creditcards / huge loans etc.

To get back to what you call normal you'd have to reduce the population number down to what it was back when things were "normal" The average size house also doubled and now includes mandatory solar  HWS, insulation and rainwater tanks as well as other goodies that used to cost extra.

Quote:
    We'll go back to the 'traditional 3* median income' which means median houseprices in Sydney / Melbourne will come back to 200.000 abouts. And perhaps we will overshoot the crash and end up like Detroit, but any less than 50% ( in real terms , inflation corrected ) will not be happening.

No we won't, not unless we also go back to the "traditional" 2br  fibro cottage on the outskirts of town and the long drop dunny at the back of the property.   Do a materials costing on a standard 4×2 and see how much of your 200.000 would be needed just for materials alone. 

I'm guessing you have arived in Oz and have had a good look at Sydney so I ask you, does Sydney look anything remotely like Detroit ?  The main reason Detroit crashed was not high priced but the dissapearance of jobs in the auto industry which supported the whole town.  Without jobs people there packed up and moved to other towns in search of jobs.
    Compare that with Sydney /Melbourne were there is no ONE industry that supports the town but let pretend that somehow all the jobs there were to dissapear overnight. Now what ?   Even if 5% of the population could find jobs in Brisbane and Perth and decided to move there doing so would cause masive housing shortages and the obligatory prices rises and rents through the roof over there.  That's why its different over here. ;-)

@ummester
    devo76 wrote:
    I agree we have more downward movement to go but not evenly across the board. There is some good buying out there now for Ip and PPOR.

There is better buying out there than there has been for the past couple of years – on this I fully agree. 12 – 18 months and I believe there wil be better buying still.

Unlike the prolonged bull market we just had, there is absolutely nothing to loose by waiting now. Even if prices don't go down any more, they are not going to rise quicker than a reasonable income can save whilst renting. Remaining employed is the main issue.

@ummester
    harb wrote:
    So you are predicting a prolonged recession and unemployment at 9%  ? I've seen better in early 80's. :-)
    Property prices about to get smashed ? I don't think so. For that to happen we'd have to be in a property bubble which we aren't, despite what the potential buyers on ghpc would want us to believe.  Btw, have you actually been in a recession yourself  or are you just reciting from the ghpc manual ?

I've lived through 2. Worked through 1 and was a student during my first. Luckilly, then as now, I have been in the government's employ. I have only been a private employee in the early naughties.

During both recessions, house prices did decline.

In the 80s, I remember my parent's peers putting of moving, upgrading, holidays, new cars and all sorts of things just to concentrate on the mortgages.

I had one peer with a house when we went into the 90's recession and he was very concerned about his equity. He worked hard and did a lot of cashies (was in a niche trade) to make sure that he stayed in front. I had friends that worked in the building industry and their incomes suffered quite a bit – went from drinking Turkey to goon:)

That aside, the build up to this has been far more dangerous then either the 80's or 90's downturns. Our debt levels are more extreme and the correction has been put off (is still being put off) by goverment and bank policy for far longer. Bubbles are bigger, the population spread is more unstable and indulgence is ridiculously high. This is a perfect recession storm, sycronised and global, like the 20s – which only leads to one thing.

I hope you aren't too highly leveraged harb, because I'd hate to see you loose your sense of humour…

@harb
    ummester wrote:

During both recessions, house prices did decline.

In the 80s, I remember my parent's peers putting of moving, upgrading, holidays, new cars and all sorts of things just to concentrate on the mortgages.

Maybe in your part of the woods, here in Perth prices went from mid 30s to high 90s during the 80s. Must have been different in Perth.  ;-)

Quote:
    I had one peer with a house when we went into the 90's recession and he was very concerned about his equity. He worked hard and did a lot of cashies (was in a niche trade) to make sure that he stayed in front.

I think you'll find it was the up to 18% IR that he was concerned with,  even then prices didn't fall that much.

Quote:
    I hope you aren't too highly leveraged harb, because I'd hate to see you loose your sense of humour…

Not these days, even when I used to be it was only 50% max.

@ummester
    harb wrote:
    Maybe in your part of the woods, here in Perth prices went from mid 30s to high 90s during the 80s. Must have been different in Perth.  ;-)

I was in Perth!

From memory it was late primary, early high school for me so early 80's. One of the families in our street (older than mine) had a son that killed himself over financial stress.

Just checked some historical data – from a page you probably trust
    http://reiwa.com/res/res-salesgraph-display.cfm

The price boom was mid to late 80s. Major recession and high interest rates at the start of the 80s. NG was abolished, remember? that's how bad it was back then – everyone was getting pretty desperate. You might have brought in mid 80's, so around about the perfect time – as 2010/2011 will be this time around.

harb wrote:
    Not these days, even when I used to be it was only 50% max.

Well at least you sound like a smart investor. Not trying to bite off too much at any one time.

Profile photo of ScampScamp
    @scamp
    harb wrote:
    For that to happen we'd have to be in a property bubble which we aren't

Harb, you're still in the 'denial' phase my friend ? Most of your colleagues have already passed that phase and are now in the 'angry' phase. You mean to say that 10 to 12 times wages is not a property bubble ? Not to worry harb, you will get a big wake-up call very soon. ( Most people are awake already btw )

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.