All Topics / Creative Investing / HELP NEEDED ASAP FOR FINANCE DEAL

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of pauls05pauls05
    Participant
    @pauls05

Hi all

Im new and just joined

Im currently in the process of purchasing my second property and taking advantage of the FHOG of 14K
    I have found a propert way undervalued with the seller in a situation of near mortgagee sale, and going towards bankruptcy withing 2 weeks.
    Basicly is it possible to get a contact price of say $260,000 and find a way to only pay the seller say $230000  and pocket the excess at settlement without the bank knowing.
    How could a solicitior write upa  clause that i get to only pay the seller $230000
    the property is worth at lease the 260K but i want to only offer/pay the $230K and use the funds for immediate renovations.
    Has something similar been done before?any ways around
    at the end of the day the bank doesnt need to know,they will send their valuer in and have it valued for the contract price of 260K which isnt a problem.
    any ideas??
    vendor finance or something?

email if you have naything please.
    appreciate your time
    -Paul smart

[email protected]

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    pauls05 wrote:
    Basicly is it possible to get a contact price of say $260,000 and find a way to only pay the seller say $230000  and pocket the excess at settlement without the bank knowing.

-Paul smart

[email protected]

Sure, it's called fraud, or more specifically the offence of 'obtaining money by deception' and punishable under the Crimes Act by 5 years imprisonment (depending on jurisdiction).

Cheers,

F. [cowboy2]

Profile photo of YossarianYossarian
    @yossarian
    pauls05 wrote:
    Hi all

Im new and just joined

Im currently in the process of purchasing my second property and taking advantage of the FHOG of 14K
    I have found a propert way undervalued with the seller in a situation of near mortgagee sale, and going towards bankruptcy withing 2 weeks.
    How could a solicitior write upa  clause that i get to only pay the seller $230000
    the property is worth at lease the 260K but i want to only offer/pay the $230K and use the funds for immediate renovations.
    Has something similar been done before?any ways around
    at the end of the day the bank doesnt need to know,they will send their valuer in and have it valued for the contract price of 260K which isnt a problem.
    any ideas??
    vendor finance or something?

email if you have naything please.
    appreciate your time
    -Paul smart

[email protected]

What Foundation said.

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

I concur wholeheartedly. It is both fraudulant and dishonest – and is not 'creative' – although some unscuplous types may consider it so.

One of the reasons we have a 'financial crisis', and why bank valuations are not as 'straighforward' as they used to be, why valuations interstate are now more involved, and why some now want to see the whole contract – not just the 'front page' – often a condition of a 'valuation on contract of sale' is that there are no 'cashback clauses' or similar.

If yuo are getting a great deal anyway, and undervalue, why not just do it and revalue later on down the track, after doing some minor cosmetic things meanwhile?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Why would you not just go to Contract at $230K and have the extra equity built in.

Admitedly your LMI would be a little higher but at least you wouldnt be spending years looking thru bars thinking about "if only"

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If they are going bankrupt, then be careful. Under the claw back provisions of the Bankruptcy act they can claim back the sale or maybe chase you for a shortfall if you buy a property under market value.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of pauls05pauls05
    Participant
    @pauls05

hey all thanks for posts,recently talked to a few solicitors, it is possible in a way, aparently, but i dont think i want to head down that road anyway after what some solicitors said.
    I am not up for fraud and the bank would need to know of any extra clauses in the contract anyway
    The guy is not bankrupt yet,and i am aware that bying well below market value is risky if he was.

All i wanted to do was find a way to have an excess at settlment for renovations, due to not being able to re-finance for up to 6 months.
    thanks all

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

You can keep things legal by either telling the banks you are wanting to do renovations and would like to borrow extra to cover those cost or simply ask for 110% finance to help cover associated costs.  Some may even suggest to borrow the first years interest as well but I'm not sure what is the actual benefit of that.  There are a number of legal ways to get the extra funds without being dishonest.  Far better to be up front and avoid any unnecessary problems later.

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Hi Pauls05

I have posted on this issue before.  Unless the bank is notified of any rebate or in fact any agreement to only pay $230,000 for the property, it is fraudulent.  This is despite what other solicitors may or may not have told you.

I am a solicitor and normally I put a disclaimer on any legal comments I make on the forum but I am prepared to hang my hat on this one.  Fraud.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of slallenslallen
    @slallen

Hi – you may wish to read the policy on the FHOG – I note you are interested in purchasing your second property?
    I believe its called a First Home Owners Grant for a reason.
    Keep reading, keep researching – there is no such thing as get rich quick…

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Lets look at Pauls05 situation in another light.

If for example Paul owes 30K on a PPOR he could ask the bank for the extra 30K for possible future renovations on the IP he is borrowing for.  If later Paul decides to not do the renovations and use the 30K towards paying off the PPOR then the interest could still be classified as a tax deduction as the main purpose for the 30K was to originally do renovations.  The ATO may see it differently which is why one needs to becareful when doing this.  If the rate that one borrows the money at is lower than the current 30K owed on PPOP then even if the ATO knocks it back you still have lower repayments.

Paul05,

You might find that your best option as previously mentioned is to be just up front with the bank about the extra money. 

@yossarian
    C2 wrote:
    Lets look at Pauls05 situation in another light.

If for example Paul owes 30K on a PPOR he could ask the bank for the extra 30K for possible future renovations on the IP he is borrowing for.  If later Paul decides to not do the renovations and use the 30K towards paying off the PPOR then the interest could still be classified as a tax deduction as the main purpose for the 30K was to originally do renovations.  The ATO may see it differently which is why one needs to becareful when doing this.  If the rate that one borrows the money at is lower than the current 30K owed on PPOP then even if the ATO knocks it back you still have lower repayments.

Paul05,

You might find that your best option as previously mentioned is to be just up front with the bank about the extra money. 

First suggestion is tax fraud.

Last suggestion is on the money.

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Yossarian,

Only tax fraud if intent can be proven.  By being up front with the bank and borrowing 30K to do IP renovations is legal.  If Paul 6 months later decides to only use 5K towards the renovation instead of 30K and the rest to pay off ppor where does fraud come into it.  It is a very grey area and why I indicated to tread very carefully if going down this path.

@linar

C2

If you borrow from the bank with the intent to renovate and later on decide not to, the onus is then on you to let the bank know that you will not be using the money for renovating.  There is a continual duty of disclosure. This means that if you change your mind at any time, then the you must disclose.  The duy of disclosure does not end once you have signed the paperwork.

This means that at the time you decide not to use the money for renovation, if you do not tell the bank, you have formed the intent to commit fraud.

Further, in relation to your post, the eligibility of the tax deduction is not based on your intent for the money at the time you borrowed it.  What if I borrowed $30K with the intent to renovate an IP but later on decided to blow it all on the pokies?  Obviously that is not tax deductible.  What makes borrowings tax deductible is what you actualy do with the money.  In your example you have postulated borrowing 30K but then only using $5k for renovations and putting the other $25K in your PPOR.  The tax office would have a good argument that NONE of the interest is tax deductible (not even the 5K) because the WHOLE amount needs to be used for investment purposes.  There have recently been some decisions on this.  Most accountants tell you that even if you use the whole 30K for investment, but if you leave the money in your personal account for a couple of weeks until you pay for the renos, then you lose the deductibility of the whole lot.  You cannot derive ANY PERSONAL benefit from the money (not even a 1c reduction on a personal loan)

CHeers

K

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Linar,

Agree about continual disclosure but in reality how often does this actually happen? 
    If someone wanted 30K to paint the IP but decided to refurnish the IP instead then do they really need to disclose the difference?  It is a bit of a different situation but how far do we need to take disclosure?

We have 2 situations.

1) Possible fraud with the bank.

( I advised about being up front with the bank about wanting extra 30K to avoid fraud.)

2) Can the 30K or part of be a tax deduction if used elsewhere, for example pay off ppor.

( Technically/legally no but as I mentioned this can be a grey area if done in the eyes of the ATO.  In previous discussions with the ATO on this I have been told (a) that the part used for IP can be deductible but again it is another grey area and will depend on the assessor at the time if checked (b)  It is similar to people who claim klms or fuel on their vehicles.  Most people probably claim more than they are entitled too.)

The point I have been stressing is that pauls05 must be careful what ever he does and it is better to notify the parties concerned about what he does.

It would be very easy to go backwards and forwards discussing legalities/resposibilities of PAULS05 options but I think we have covered it enough.

Claiming tax deductions is one of those wonderful grey areas.
    Should you try to claim what you can and have justifications/documentation or play it safe?
    I remember reading somewhere that every investor should try to claim what they can without crossing the boundaries of legalitis but it is up to the ATO to approve or not.  This is not interpreted as trying to commit fraud but more of if you don't try you won't know if it is accepted or not.

@yossarian
    C2 wrote:
    Yossarian,

Only tax fraud if intent can be proven.  By being up front with the bank and borrowing 30K to do IP renovations is legal.  If Paul 6 months later decides to only use 5K towards the renovation instead of 30K and the rest to pay off ppor where does fraud come into it.  It is a very grey area and why I indicated to tread very carefully if going down this path.

Uummmm…no, nothing grey about it.

Monies borrowed to produce an income are tax deductible. If you borrow $30K it's not tax deductible unless and when it is applied to an income producing purpose. The tax fraud issue is a no brainer.

Insofar as representations made to the lender, they can detect bullshit as well as the next guy.

Caveat emptor

@linar

C2

I know you have said that you think we have covered the legalities enough here but while you continue to throw up fraudulent propositions I am going to continue to let the rest of the forum know that they are fraudulent.  ( I am not suggesting at all that you have engaged in these activities or that you are in any way fraudulent, but I think it should be pointed out that some of your suggestions would not be considered legal).

If you have loaned money from the bank to paint your IP but then decide to refurnish it, then you have failed to disclose the change in plan to the bank and, technically committed fraud.  The bank has loaned you money to renovate/improve the value of the building.  Refurnishing the property is not renovating.  I imagine that the bank would be quite unhappy about money loaned for renovation being used for purchasing furniture. 

I expect that before a bank lends money for renovation, they want a detailed feasibility about what will be done and how much it will cost.  Any variance from that should be disclosed to the bank.  I can't imagine that the bank would need to know if you decided to change the colour paint from cream to beige, but common sense should reign.  The bank thinks that the renovation is going to increase the property's value by $xxx.  If your "amended" renovation plans will not increase the value of the property by $xxx, then the bank should be told.

So to answer your question about how far do we need to take disclosure – the answer is that disclosure is a legal obligation.  Disclosure should be taken as far as the 50 page loan agreement requires you to.  Sure, you don't HAVE to disclose to the bank any change in plans, just like you don't have to obey the law: you can steal, assault, murder etc, but if you get caught, then there will be consequences.

As to the issue of tax deductibility, Yossarian summed it up very nicely: it must be used for an income producing purpose.  Paying off your PPOR is not an income producing purpose.  This is no grey area with the ATO.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of condogcondog
    Participant
    @condog

I cant believe this is even being debated its an absolute no brainer.  Dont do it. Even if it was legal its completely unethical. Go and make money legitimately without looking for grey lines to dance over.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.