All Topics / Legal & Accounting / girl friend moving in !

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of Sitting on the FenceSitting on the Fence
    @sitting-on-the-fence

I hope someone can give me some advise on this.

My son purchased land approx 3 1/2 years ago and is having house built which will be finished in approx 3 -4 weeks time.  He will move in on completion.  His girlfriend of 2 years will also move in with him.  She has not contributed to the costs of house or land (both are in his name).    Cost of food, electricity, gas will be split between them and he is wanting to ask for additional amount for rent.

Are there any legal contracts, such as rental agreement, that he can get her to sign to protect his assets in the event that they split? 

Property is in Victoria.

Any advise, recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

I knew a young fellow early twenties, who bought a house and later brought a gf to live. What he did was set her up as a border. Ok she didnt pay much and it probably went to her share of the electricity etc. He had a receipt book.  so all was in order.  She can keep her clothes in another room. BUT she doesnt contribute to mortgage repayments.
    If she kicks up a song and dance about it, then she is a gold digger.

Living together is a good way to determine if this is the partner you wish to have children with and live the rest of your life with. Encourage your son to protect himself until he is ready to put a ring on her finger.

an alternative that I would encourage is that he rents out his home (IP becomes a great tax deduction for all those renos he wants to do) and they rent together in an area they like.

Profile photo of Hari YellinaHari Yellina
    Participant
    @yellina

Even you try to collect the rent or share the bills. Once they have a problem and split, both will be going to court to split the assests. Once you with a lawyer. You will be loosing 15,000 minimum and the house will be half hers.

6 months is all she needs to get from him. The better idea is to get a rented house together and put the contract on the both names and same goes with electricity gas and everything.

Ask him to have a separate bank account where he wil never use to pay the bills for rental property. The account will be there for his salary and for his new house payments.

This way he is atleast protected. Hope nothing goes wrong. 3 years is the time when people start moving away.

I have 4 properties in my name and when my GF moved in with me. I never used the same account and always demanded me and her open a joint account and use the bills from there. It worked when we got seperated. I would advise you to get a good solicitor to give you guys something in writing what you should be doing. Not orally, never stands.

Hari Yellina
    Email Me

Keep Investing - Grow while Resting.

Profile photo of Sitting on the FenceSitting on the Fence
    @sitting-on-the-fence

Thank you very much Millie and Yellina for your comments and suggestions.

I think the idea of renting out the house and getting another place to live in (rental) is a great idea to find out if the relationship will work.  Unfortunately he has to live in his new house for 6 months as he got the First Home Owners grant.  But this could definately be something for him to consider, bearing in mind the tax deduction if he were to make this house an IP, after the six month period.

I also believe than an oral agreement would not stand up in court and will strongly suggest to him your advise to see a solicitor to discuss with him the legal ramifications of setting up house.

Thank you both for your comments and suggestion.  They have been a great help.

Profile photo of CattleyaCattleya
    Participant
    @cattleya

Hi,
    this comment is probably too late, but I thought I'll put things into the big picture.

1. All assets prior to marriage or de facto relationship are not claimable by the spouse.
    2. After 2 years of living together, the relationship is automatically de facto relationship. This means the spouse's entitlements are similar to those of married couples. During separation / divorce process both sides discuss settlement and this could be 50:50 or 100:0 depending on mutual agreement. Where there is disagreement the family court will look into:

a. whether the relationship was in fact de facto relationship or whether the marriage was valid. For a relationship to be called de facto there has to be evidence of sharing your lives to the level of marriage couple. The easiest is financial arrangements. This is where Milly and Yelina's comments fit in. But separate financial arrangement does not necessarily mean you keep your assets. It depends on other things eg. whether the boy bought her an engagement ring, or a present substantial enough to indicate there's more to it than regular friendship.
    b. The need of each spouse eg. if the girl needs extra care the court thinks she is entitled to more money will be awarded to her. Example is K Fed and Britney Spears. The court decided Britney should pay more because she earns more.
    c. If there's a kid, all bets are off.

I agree that there's a lot of gold diggers out there, but it begs the question: our marriages don't last as long anymore – may be it's because we start it with strong anticipation for divorce? Maybe what we need is entangling ourselves so much that divorce is not an option for either party? We start the relationship already thinking that the other half is a gold digger.

Anyway, hope that helps.
    Cattleya

Cattleya

Here to learn the ropes of property investing & share knowledge, not trying to sell anything at all.

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

I agree with Cattleya (stretching my mind years back to Family Law).

Even though financial arrangements are kept separate, as per Millie and Yellina's comments, a court may still find that a de-facto relationship exists if there is other evidence to suggest that they were more then "just friends".  One of the things a court will look at is whether friends and family consider your son and his girlfriend to be in a relationship or whether they were just flatmates.

If the relationship falls to pieces she wouldn't automatically be entitled to 50% of the property.  As Cattleya said, the court looks at several things such as what "extra care" the most disadvantaged person (in this case the girlfriend who would be left without a house) would need.  If they split up in say three years, she may be entitled to a percentage of the capital gain on the house.

This is not intended to be legal advice but rather just some guidelines on the sorts of things that need to be thought out.  Family Law is VERY complicated and there is no legislation that says "if … happens then this person is entitled to ..%".  It is all worked out on an individual basis.

If your son wants to protect his assets then he should go and see a solicitor.  It may be expensive to start out with but it could save him a lot of money later down the track.  Consider it insurance.

Cheers

K

@milly

Cattleya…you're a romantic! And I guess that's a good way to be when  you're young and wanting a family one day.

I had a great marriage, but I'm damned if I will share my hard won independance and assets (and debts) with anyone. My dad too,  had a good marriage but has no wish to shack up with anyone new. He has a lady friend who lives two streets away which is perfect for both of them. I don't think either of them want assets mixed up (tho frankly I dont see how anyone could live with my 'grumpy old man'. )

Tho we arent cynics by experience, we are mature enough to see that the possibility  of divorce is a very common outcome. And as a parent of 4 boys i would be just as concerned as the author of this post. Living together is great when the young couple both start out with nothing. I don't think entwining finance and assets between a couple  to continue an unhappy marriage is the answer.  Tho my boys are still young I tell them to marry their best friend, the person they can laugh out loud
     with.
    milly

Participant
    @cattleya

Sitting on the Fence, sorry… this discussion is not on your concerns anymore. I just can't resist one more post.

With all due respect to all single boys of all ages out there (including Milly?) what would it take to convince you that a girl is not a gold digger?

If she has more assets than you? Chances are she / her family thinks you're a gold digger.   :)

It's never ending isn't it?    I find it amusing that we potentially are all gold diggers?!

Cheers,
    Cattleya

Cattleya

Here to learn the ropes of property investing & share knowledge, not trying to sell anything at all.

@milly

Cattleya, I wasn't making an assumption that JUST 'girls' or ALL girls are gold diggers. It was just that by chance I happened to have sons.  I AM female after all and a feminist to boot. I just believe in entering relationships with eyes open. And the sex of a partner has nothing to do with it. I admit I would feel it an unequal relationship if I met a middle aged man with nothing and I certainly won't be swept off my feet by a young poor ski instructor with an eye to my lifestyle.

If a son of mine screwed up and ran off with his wife's best friend, I would understand even the mildest, nicest girl wanting to extract revenge and that might include ensuring a long expensive court battle that would see both parties with nothing. I don't think it is ethical  but I could certainly understand it. You can't predict the future or how people will react to changing circumstances.

But you ask 'what would it take to convince  me that a girl was not a gold digger". Trust is the best answer and trust is born out of time. So six months  or two years living with someone  may be long enough or it may not be long enough. Certainly a person should not be entitled to another's estate just because they lived with them. Gees they lived rent free after all. . But as I said above people DO change and no one can be sure how they will react in a new situation.

I don't believe this is . I think it is important to take off the rose coloured glasses occassionally.  The Cinderella stories are no longer be applicable in this day and age and Sitting on the Fence just wants to ensure that that is the case. Naturally if there are children involved there are separate issues to be addressed but frankly I should not have to worry that my estate could be challenged by a partner who contributed nothing when my will stated it should go to my kids.

@milly

Cattleya, I wasn't making an assumption that JUST 'girls' or ALL girls are gold diggers. It was just that by chance I happened to have sons.  I AM female after all and a feminist to boot. I just believe in entering relationships with eyes open. And the sex of a partner has nothing to do with it. I admit I would feel it an unequal relationship if I met a middle aged man with nothing and I certainly won't be swept off my feet by a young poor ski instructor with an eye to my lifestyle.

If a son of mine screwed up and ran off with his wife's best friend, I would understand even the mildest, nicest girl wanting to extract revenge and that might include ensuring a long expensive court battle that would see both parties with nothing. I don't think it is ethical  but I could certainly understand it. You can't predict the future or how people will react to changing circumstances.

But you ask 'what would it take to convince  me that a girl was not a gold digger". Trust is the best answer and trust is born out of time. So six months  or two years living with someone  may be long enough or it may not be long enough. Certainly a person should not be entitled to another's estate just because they lived with them. Gees they lived rent free after all. . But as I said above people DO change and no one can be sure how they will react in a new situation.

I don't believe this is . I think it is important to take off the rose coloured glasses occassionally.  The Cinderella stories are no longer be applicable in this day and age and Sitting on the Fence just wants to ensure that that is the case. Naturally if there are children involved there are separate issues to be addressed but frankly I should not have to worry that my estate could be challenged by a partner who contributed nothing when my will stated it should go to my kids.

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Sitting on the fence

I recently read about a new contract that you can enter into regarding assets held before you go into a relationship. I believe it only came into existence in the last couple of years and the article said that as long as both parties have been honest about their assets and there are no children involved it would have to be a very special situation before the family law courts would overturn it. Unfortunately I can't find the name of this sort of contract. No it's not a pre nuptial agreement.

Ring your solicitor. She/he should know.

Cheers
    Elka

Profile photo of Sitting on the FenceSitting on the Fence
    @sitting-on-the-fence

Thank you everyone for your constructive view and comments.

I feel that I am a reasonable person, meaning that if the situation was reversed I would expect the girl to protect her assets and would fully understand if she was concerned about losing them to a relationship that may not last.

It concerns me that in this day and age there is a great deal of stress on couples, some self inflicted due to wanting the biggest and the best straight away, and this I feel is one reason why couples go separate ways.  Bearing this in mind, in my view it is only reasonable for anyone to protect what they have worked hard for, male or female, as it is extremely hard to start all over again financially.

My son has made an appointment with a solicitor and hopefully a Contract the like to which Elkam refers is adequate and available in this situation. 

It is a shame that today people need to be concerning themselves with these types of financial issues when they first start out , as years ago most couples commenced their relationship on a par financially.

Once again, thankyou one and all, your replies have been very helpful.

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Sitting on the fence

I found the article I remembered reading. It was in the August 2006 copy of API.

The contract is called a Binding Financial Agreement and has been available since 2000 according to the article. It also suggests that young couples starting out, in the absence of a crystal ball,  may find it advisable to include a clause that the agreement be reviewed in a few years time to see if it still reflects their wishes and needs.  

Hope this helps
    Elka

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I was involved in a recent legal battle over something similar in NSW. One of my family members owned his property outright. His girl friend moved in for a number of years. They weren't married, and she did not contribute to the paying of the mortgage (as there was none) the rates or anything. I think there was even a lease with her paying a nominal rent.

It went to court  and he ended up paying approx one third of the value to her as an out of court settlment.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@milly

That just amazes me Terry. Were their children involved?

I am definitely staying single

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

No Children. They were 'elderly' too!

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @cattleya

<<lol>>

Sitting on the Fence, you may want to tell your son to reconsider.  Even a prenuptial agreement is not watertight – example is K Fed and Britney whose prenup was said to be VERY watertight. And Britney does have the resources to hire the best lawyers to draft the prenup.

Another option is to put everything, or at least half, under your name and not his.

Last option, which I prefer and practice, appeal to her basic decency as a human being. If I were in your position I'd have a heart to heart talk. My other half and I agreed that when we, touch wood, separate we'll keep our paws off each other's pockets. I agree there is no guarantee, but nothing in life is guaranteed. And in return I have all the simple things that only a loving partner can give and make my life a whole lot brighter.

It is sad that our society has come to this: reluctance to venture into potentially very rewarding relationships because of money. And it works both ways – just as we are reluctant to build a relationship with poorer people, the richer ones are reluctant to date us because of fear of us being a gold digger.  As I said before, that makes us all potential gold diggers.

And most of the time there's no way around it, you have to move in together and face the risk of losing some of your money.  Mind you, it is only a risk not a certainty.

Kind regards,
    Cattleya

Cattleya

Profile photo of seankseank
    @seank

hi all,

I have a friend who is in a similar situation unmarried but with 1 child. He seems to think if he transfers his home into a company or trust, his asset is protected?? also he told me if it came down to it, he would trnasfer his home into his parents name and have the rent go into his account?? don't know if any of this is possible or will work???

regards

Participant
    @cattleya

Seank,

Sorry to say this, your friend is not protected. The lawyers can correct me on this but my understanding is the Court can <take a deep breath> go back to all transfer of assets during the past 3 years <not sure but 3 I think is the minimum, can go back further than 3> and assess whether they were done to obscure ownership, to hide them from the spouse. If the court so decides, it has the power to nullify the transactions and give the spouse her / his rightful share. Especially when there's a kid involved.

It is best to transfer ownership before the relationship officially starts ie. marriage or in the first 2 years of living together. After this point everything is up for grabs.

Best is avoiding divorce at all cost – from the kid and financial perspective. If they have to, it is much much better to settle outside the court. Both partners should look into their hearts and decide what's fair. During a separation there's a lot of animosity and anger between the couples. These negative emotion prevents them from being fair to each other. The husband might be so angry that he denies what's rightfully hers and vice versa.

Also to put it into perspective: Family Law is created to protect the interests of the weaker spouse, not helping the gold diggers, though to our eyes that's what happens most of the time. What's fair in the eyes of the court may not be fair from our perspective because we don't know the full story and we are biased with emotion. The court is there to make us feel safe to enter a relationship, not the other way around.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Cattleya

Cattleya

Profile photo of seankseank
    @seank

cattleya,

thanks for your comments,
    wouldn't the same apply to the many many failed directors  (rodney alder ect)  of bankrupt companies who transfer their assests, goto jail, then after serving their sentence get chauffered back  in limos into their 10million dollar mansions. doesn't seem fair??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.