All Topics / Help Needed! / Adelaide or Brisbane

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Profile photo of ellereller
    @eller

Hi, All,

I am new to this Forum. Goodafternoon everyone!

I am currently trying to buy my first investment residential property either in Adelaide or Brisbane around $300k. I am living in Sydney. I prefer to buy a house, Sydney is too expensive. Can any one give me some advices re the investment property in these two cities?

Thanks a lot.

Kind Regards
    Eller

Profile photo of hleunghleung
    Participant
    @hleung

Just about impossible to get anything in Brisbane for under 300K,  The median price in Adelaide is lower but I'd much prefer Brisbane in the long term as it in the centre of one of the fastest growing areas in the Southern Hemispere.  Both cities are going through a boom. 

If you are going to anything move quickly because I can't see it slowing down over the next few years.  There is a severe shortage of properties in Brisbane – I think that it's the same in Adelaide

Profile photo of ellereller
    @eller

Hi, hlueng,

Thank you so much for your advice! I have searched some properties in both cities, houses under 350k normally located 21 km away from CBD.  I will try to make the decision quick.

Kind Regards
    Eller

Profile photo of propertypowerpropertypower
    @propertypower

Hi eller,
    I think the decision will depend on your investment timeframe. I think in short to medium term Adelaide will be as good as Brisbane. Adelaide has one of the most affordable house prices amongst the capital cities. Also, SA has got uranium mines and will continue to grow for some time on the back of resources boom. However, over a longer period of time, I think Brisbane will perform better due to the increasing internal migration to SE Queensland, better infrastructure, etc.

@eller

Thank you so much propertypower. I think I will hold it for long time. Cause it is my first investment property, so all your guys advices are so helpful to me. Really appreciate!

Kind regards
    Eller

Profile photo of hleunghleung
    Participant
    @hleung
    eller wrote:
    Thank you so much propertypower. I think I will hold it for long time. Cause it is my first investment property, so all your guys advices are so helpful to me. Really appreciate!

Kind regards
    Eller

Eller, just for interest – which city have you decided on?  Is it Adelaide or Brisbane and why?

Profile photo of mackarmackar
    @mackar

houses are still available in & around Beenleigh… between Brisbane & Gold Coast, good motorway access, around $300k & under, also mentioned in API Magazine's top 100 for future potential growth in Nov 07 issue.

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

Hi Eller,

welcome !

Take yr time in deciding what and where yr going to buy,there is nothing to be anxious about.There are always deals out there.

but in saying this once yve made yr decision step out and do it .

Queeny and adelaide are both great areas to invest in. I like SE queensland due to growth rates but Adelaide have got some lower priced deals still available and heaps of room for development too.
    I would suggest you go and check out the areas yr interested in on the ground and have a snoop around ,see what takes yr fancy for yr first and then buy in the other area as well on yr second if you want to diversify later.

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Profile photo of RABSRABS
    @rabs

you can invest in sydney in st marys and st clairs both are unde valued and in brisbane you have beaudessert that has had good growth and from the strongest migration you can pick up something nice for 320 – 350=
    good luck and let us know how you go

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

If you go for Brissie try Beenleigh and surrounds in south and Morayfiled in North under 300k cheapie listings are in Quest local newspaper

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon
    Adelaide Rental Yields (September quarter, 2007)
    Suburb   Median House Price        Rent    Yield
    Smithfield Plains$162,250$2235.72%
    Munno Para$181,750$2325.31%
    Holden Hill$200,000$2334.85%
    Hackham West$215,000$2474.78%
    Pooraka$266,000$2994.68%
    Hackham$220,000$2474.67%
    Gawler South$225,000$2484.59%
    Trott Park$275,000$3034.58%
    Huntfield Heights$225,000$2474.57%
    O'Halloran Hill$281,000$3034.49%
    Source: REISA/Adelaide Bank Market Update
    @eller

Hi, all,
    Thanks for your opinions! I am still looking for both cities. Will let you know if I make the decision.
    Kind Regards
    Eller

Profile photo of elsels
    @els

Hi Eller,

Welcome to the forum.

There are still some properties under 300K in the Ipswich area in brisbane but becareful of deals which seems too good to be true because it could indicate there's some problem with the property. As for Adelaide, places like Christies Beach are pretty good interms of location ( being next to a beach ) and value. Good luck with it.

Cheers
    els

Profile photo of Evan12Evan12
    @evan12

Hi Eller,

I'm also new to this forum and just starting to invest on property.

I found this forum very helpful.
    We're (my husband and myself) looking on Adelaide to invest, primarily because we live here and that makes it easy for us to see how it is going.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (but be gentle please) :  Adelaide is considered a designated area, so migrants coming in to Australia may have better chance to get approved if they choose Adelaide as destination? Therefore, demand for housing in Adelaide will rise? Opportunity for investors like you (us)?

@eller

Hi, All,

As always, want to say thank u for all the posts. Evan12, totally agree with you, this forum is so helpful! I am gald I found it.

ADL is the only capital city which is considered as  designated area for immigration purpose, partly due to it is samll populations.

My computer got some problems yesterday , so  I m going to search the properties now.

Hope you all have a nice weekend!

Kind Regards
    Eller

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Hi Eller

I know Brisbane has alot of potential but do not know any specific details about it.

We only invest in Adelaide because we know it well! There are many things happening here which signfify higher growth in the real estate market. There are also some places with huge potential that are below the median price for Australia.

Have a look at http://www.adelaidepropertyfinders.com.au for some information and all the best!

Profile photo of kum yin laukum yin lau
    @kum-yin-lau

Hi, Adelaide definitely!

The suburbs mentioned by Bardon are what one'd call economically challenged but what do I know? I'm now living in one such area North of Pt Adelaide.

Peter Koulizos has Exeter high on his hotspots. Largs North went up quietly but significantly in the last 3 years, after Semaphore. Beyond that, Osborne & Taperoo are very very near to the billions of govt spending. Osborne where they're building the submarines. I went to an auction of an old AV Jennings home right opposite the gulf at North Haven with a view to die for. It was passed in at $420000. If I weren't involved with 6 houses, I'd dearly have loved to do that one up & live in it myself! This was 2 months ago.

Taperoo scares people off because it was so poor before. There're pockets where you'd … But on the other hand, nearer the beach, it's a different story. Even some ugly streets have spruced up. There's hardly anything for sale either.

I myself would not think of buying an apt in Newport Quays. I think that the density & large numbers of resale apts will drag down the yield & growth but then again I could be wrong. They say 'Build them & they'll come'.

We wait & see.

Good luck,
    Kum Yin

Ps Incidentally, I just sold 1 house $70000 above bank valuation – told them their valuation was rubbish

Profile photo of Evan12Evan12
    @evan12

Hi Xenia,

I was looking on your website. I wonder if you also provide service or help regarding building. We already have held a land and waiting for settlement mid of December.
    I've been to some seminars where they sell off the plan with guaranteed 6mos rent, but our lender's evaluation found the building cost more than normal so we didn't push through.
    We decided to purchase a land then build.
    I'm interested to know what things we should be considering in building to maximise our benefit (eg.  floor tiling cannot be depreciated unlike vinyl or laminate flooring).

Any thoughts/suggestions from anyone in the forum, from your experience much appreciated.

Xenia wrote:
    Hi Eller

I know Brisbane has alot of potential but do not know any specific details about it.

We only invest in Adelaide because we know it well! There are many things happening here which signfify higher growth in the real estate market. There are also some places with huge potential that are below the median price for Australia.

Have a look at http://www.adelaidepropertyfinders.com.au for some information and all the best!

Profile photo of kokjhoonwongkokjhoonwong
    @kokjhoonwong
    Profile photo of noobienoobie
    @noobie

I only invest in Adelaide – yet I was originally from Brisbane. I'm still learning, but I currently have 6.

The way I saw it was easy – I bought 2 units for the same price as 1 unit cost in Brisbane. But the rent is 1 1/2 times more than I would have received on that same cost if I'd bought in Brisbane.

So I'm out of pocket the same amount of money for purchase costs  – but I got 2 properties instead of 1 and I get 1 1/2 times more rent than I would have otherwise received.

Plus there is the immigrant thing going on right now – where new migrants get extra credit for coming to Adelaide, so the demand for housing is crazy!

Just a thought

Noobie

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.