All Topics / Help Needed! / Adelaide or Brisbane

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Profile photo of hleunghleung
    Participant
    @hleung
    Evan12 wrote:
    Hi Xenia,

I was looking on your website. I wonder if you also provide service or help regarding building. We already have held a land and waiting for settlement mid of December.
    I've been to some seminars where they sell off the plan with guaranteed 6mos rent, but our lender's evaluation found the building cost more than normal so we didn't push through.
    We decided to purchase a land then build.
    I'm interested to know what things we should be considering in building to maximise our benefit (eg.  floor tiling cannot be depreciated unlike vinyl or laminate flooring).

Any thoughts/suggestions from anyone in the forum, from your experience much appreciated.

quote]

I've been using your strategy for quite a while now – buy land and build on it.  House and land packages are for the lazy or time poor ones who end up paying a lot more than organising the building yourself.

I use Dixon Homes to do my building.  They make it so easy for investors providing excellent value for money.  I'm not too sure about your specific queries such as floor tiling compared with vinyl.  You need to take your plans to a quantity surveyor.  I don't focus just on tax when investing.

Profile photo of hleunghleung
    Participant
    @hleung
    Evan12 wrote:
    Hi Xenia,

I was looking on your website. I wonder if you also provide service or help regarding building. We already have held a land and waiting for settlement mid of December.
    I've been to some seminars where they sell off the plan with guaranteed 6mos rent, but our lender's evaluation found the building cost more than normal so we didn't push through.
    We decided to purchase a land then build.
    I'm interested to know what things we should be considering in building to maximise our benefit (eg.  floor tiling cannot be depreciated unlike vinyl or laminate flooring).

Any thoughts/suggestions from anyone in the forum, from your experience much appreciated.

quote]

I've been using your strategy for quite a while now – buy land and build on it.  House and land packages are for the lazy or time poor ones who end up paying a lot more than organising the building yourself.

I use Dixon Homes to do my building.  They make it so easy for investors providing excellent value for money.  I'm not too sure about your specific queries such as floor tiling compared with vinyl.  You need to take your plans to a quantity surveyor.  I don't focus just on tax when investing.

Profile photo of Evan12Evan12
    @evan12

Thanks hleung, it seems Dixon is based in Qld.

Can anyone know or  recommend a quantity surveyor based in Adelaide?

cheers,
    Evan12

Profile photo of Owen64Owen64
    @owen64

I think before you decide on either Adelaide or Brisbane you should look at what your long term goals are from property and see which locaion will be the better fit.
    There are a number of people in the industry who feel Adelaide is the next hot spot and there are some very good reasons for this. South Australia is also resources rich, like Western Australia, it's biggest resource being Uranium. There is a lot of stuff in the pipeline for the Roxby Downs area that will feed property prices through out South Australia. many feel that over the next 5 years Adelaide can averaage over 10%pa.
    The South Eastern Qld Golden triangle will always be an exceptional are to invest in but shouldn't be seen to be the only spot in Qld to invest in. There is another triangle in Qld that has shown consitent growth over a number of years and it is fueled by a number of industries. The area from Cairns, Townsville, Airlie Beach and out to Mt Isa is yet another Qld area showing exceptional returns for your money and you can access brand new, to renovate or what ever you want.

Myself, I am watching a couple of area's around Adelaide and Far North Qld, I am talking to developers to see what they have in the pipeline for the area's and then making my decision.

Regards

Participant
    @hleung
    Owen64 wrote:
    I think before you decide on either Adelaide or Brisbane you should look at what your long term goals are from property and see which locaion will be the better fit.
    There are a number of people in the industry who feel Adelaide is the next hot spot and there are some very good reasons for this. South Australia is also resources rich, like Western Australia, it's biggest resource being Uranium. There is a lot of stuff in the pipeline for the Roxby Downs area that will feed property prices through out South Australia. many feel that over the next 5 years Adelaide can averaage over 10%pa.
    The South Eastern Qld Golden triangle will always be an exceptional are to invest in but shouldn't be seen to be the only spot in Qld to invest in. There is another triangle in Qld that has shown consitent growth over a number of years and it is fueled by a number of industries. The area from Cairns, Townsville, Airlie Beach and out to Mt Isa is yet another Qld area showing exceptional returns for your money and you can access brand new, to renovate or what ever you want.

Myself, I am watching a couple of area's around Adelaide and Far North Qld, I am talking to developers to see what they have in the pipeline for the area's and then making my decision.

Regards

Owen64, for a safe, long term, high growth investment, I still don't that you can go past South East Qld.  It is the second fastest growing area in the Southern Hemisphere.  Its fast growing population and enormous amounts of new infrastructure are some of the reasons why I invest ionly in this area.

Profile photo of Skispy Galipsy.Skispy Galipsy.
    @skispy-galipsy.

I am from adelaide and live on the gold coast.  i am currently building in both places.  I think adelaide is going through a boom at present but what will the ong term growth be as it is a declining population or stagnant in any case.  QLD is always going to be popular because of the population growth and it is reported we are going to be 2,000 houes short per year with the growth of migration. 
    Peter Gwynne
    [email protected]
    0423 028 239

Profile photo of sam2009856sam2009856
    @sam2009856

Hey Eller

Do you know the QLD is predicated to have the highest population growth in the next 50 years.

I think QLD is the best place to invest long term.  Esp SE QLD….. running out of land in between the ocean and hills :>

I think Adelaide is a good short term investing place but long term, very average.

Wish we had crystal balls.  Good luck

Participant
    @hleung
    Francesca Chakich wrote:
    Do you know the QLD is predicted to have the highest population growth in the next 50 years.

I think QLD is the best place to invest long term.  Esp SE QLD….. running out of land in between the ocean and hills :>

I think Adelaide is a good short term investing place but long term, very average.

I agree with you Franseca.  For the long term, I prefer SE Qld.  Its fundamentals such as population growth, massive new infrastructure, new businesses relocating & its closeness to resource rich areas are the reasons I have bought quite a few Brisbane properties over the 18 months.

Just read a post from another forum:   Bit of an eye opener last w'end.. Attended auction at West End (Bris) old colonial house on ~280 m- everything in original condition

A few wks before the auction the agent mentioned a house in the same street went for high 500K's earlier in the year so due to the inferior condition of this one it should be 500-550 range.

Every man and his dog turned up and it went for $670K.

WEnd- nice place to buy but a somewhat hot market currently

Brisbane is currently in a rising market which is predicted to peak in the next 2 years.  I still think that there is money to be made in SE Qld but people have to get in within the next 6 months.  I've been saying this to my friends and family for the past 2 years.  Fortunately, some acted on my advice and are extremely happy with their decision.s  My son bought a place in Stafford (7km from the CBD) yesterday.  He is confident that it will do well in the short and long term.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

To throw in a different opinion, if I was betting on the next city in Aus to experience above average growth, I'd be putting my money on Sydney.

Adelaide is at the tail end of a recent boom, Queensland is experiencing a increase in prices, but when Sydney goes again, it will make both look insignificant by comparison.

All in all, there is money to be made everywhere. Your choice is best determined from your experience and skill base rather than picking a location and trying to strike it lucky.  That is, what you do is more important than where you do it.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of Rich MumRich Mum
    @rich-mum
    noobie wrote:
    I only invest in Adelaide – yet I was originally from Brisbane. I'm still learning, but I currently have 6.

The way I saw it was easy – I bought 2 units for the same price as 1 unit cost in Brisbane. But the rent is 1 1/2 times more than I would have received on that same cost if I'd bought in Brisbane.

So I'm out of pocket the same amount of money for purchase costs  – but I got 2 properties instead of 1 and I get 1 1/2 times more rent than I would have otherwise received.

Plus there is the immigrant thing going on right now – where new migrants get extra credit for coming to Adelaide, so the demand for housing is crazy!

Just a thought

Noobie

Hi Noble,

May I ask which areas you have invested and get good yields in Adelaide as mentioned above. I just cam back from Adelaide for a holiday and driving from the airport to my friends place, the streets were very empty, could be that it is the xmas break.

Anh other thoughts welcomed on which areas to invest. My budget is 250K-300K.

Thanks

Rich Mum

Profile photo of Rich MumRich Mum
    @rich-mum
    SteveMcKnight wrote:
    Hi,

To throw in a different opinion, if I was betting on the next city in Aus to experience above average growth, I'd be putting my money on Sydney.

Adelaide is at the tail end of a recent boom, Queensland is experiencing a increase in prices, but when Sydney goes again, it will make both look insignificant by comparison.

All in all, there is money to be made everywhere. Your choice is best determined from your experience and skill base rather than picking a location and trying to strike it lucky.  That is, what you do is more important than where you do it.

Cheers,

Hi Steve,

Firstly, thanks for the tips you have imparted in your books abour property investing. It was reading your books that got the ball rolling for me on investing..

You said it does not matter where you invest, but more important what would you do? Then in you opinion, what would you do given the economy and expected rate rises?

Thanks in advance,

Rich Mum

Profile photo of noobienoobie
    @noobie
    Quote:

May I ask which areas you have invested and get good yields in Adelaide as mentioned above. I just cam back from Adelaide for a holiday and driving from the airport to my friends place, the streets were very empty, could be that it is the xmas break.

I have two in Morphett Vale, two in Huntfield Heights, one in Woodcroft and one in Reynella. All southern suburbs of Adelaide. Just yesterday I bought another one in Christies Beach that is right by the sea and will be sub-divided into two new homes this year sometime. (subject to the council not making me wet my pants about doing this sub-division).

Last year I also owned one in regional Port Augusta (which did well because of the mining boom still going on) and another in regional Port Pirie. I've since sold these to access the capital (gee CGT sucks) and pay down the loans which gave me enough cash to buy the one in Christies Beach.

Most people gasp in shock that I choose to invest south of Adelaide (north is cheaper with massive infrastructure changes and big growth going on) – but I prefer the suburbs all by the sea. That was a personal choice only.

Lisa (Noobie)

Profile photo of kum yin laukum yin lau
    @kum-yin-lau

Hi Lisa, well done! I had one in Reynella that was a no brainer from day 1! My sister was horrified that I bought in Reynella [it was sold to me by my manager]

I regret like hell not buying the one in Martin Pl @ Christies but the bank will have a seizure.

I bought one equally good, in Blair Athol, horror of horrors according to all my family but get this, it shows a 200% COCR after sub-division & reno & I'm not even looking at capital gain yet!

I bought it in May 2006. In 2007, one termite eaten house on St Clements St sold for $263000. Now the asking price for houses similar to mine is $80000 more than when I was looking in May 2006. That's 30% in 18 months. Holy moly, shouldn't we all have bought ten!

Have fun,
    Kum Yin

Profile photo of the developerthe developer
    @the-developer

Hi Eller,

If you are looking for an investment property around $300K, I know (as mentioned earlier in some of the replies) it will be to find that price in Brisbane.  However, as a developer, I can guarantee that if you were to increase your limit to the early $400K mark, you would (without any doubt) pick up a townhouse with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 2 carspaces, in a great and growing area such as Carina (12-15 minutes from the city).  Consistent and strong growth, facilities surrounding the site, shopping complexes, cafes, schools, etc, only metres away.

If at all you are still considering Brisbane, please let me know what you are looking for as in position (what you would like to be close to etc) and what the top limit you are looking to spend is.  I may know just the place for you.

The reason I did not mention Adelaide is because I do not focus on any areas out of Brisbane and only look at their overall progress and situations.  I have had not much need to move from Brisbane.  It is booming at an amazing pace.

@the-developer
    SteveMcKnight wrote:
    Hi,

Cheers,

Hi Steve,

Is there any particular reason why you pick Sydeny?  I completely agree on all the other aspects you mentioned about 'experience and skill' rather than picking and hoping for a lucky strike.

With Sydney currently being in an interesting position, do you think that people who are selling apartments down there for 1-2 million, and purchasing a decent sized house (and having a bit of change) in areas such as Brisbane would go back?  Or are you considering foreign investors?

Thanks heap and I would love to hear your view.

All the best.

Frank

@the-developer
    eller wrote:
    Hi, All,

I am new to this Forum. Goodafternoon everyone!

I am currently trying to buy my first investment residential property either in Adelaide or Brisbane around $300k. I am living in Sydney. I prefer to buy a house, Sydney is too expensive. Can any one give me some advices re the investment property in these two cities?

Thanks a lot.

Kind Regards
    Eller

Hi Eller,

If you are looking for an investment property around $300K, I know (as mentioned earlier in some of the replies) it will be to find that price in Brisbane.  However, as a developer, I can guarantee that if you were to increase your limit to the early $400K mark, you would (without any doubt) pick up a townhouse with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 2 carspaces, in a great and growing area such as Carina (12-15 minutes from the city).  Consistent and strong growth, facilities surrounding the site, shopping complexes, cafes, schools, etc, only metres away.

If at all you are still considering Brisbane, please let me know what you are looking for as in position (what you would like to be close to etc) and what the top limit you are looking to spend is.  I may know just the place for you.

The reason I did not mention Adelaide is because I do not focus on any areas out of Brisbane and only look at their overall progress and situations.  I have had not much need to move from Brisbane.  It is booming at an amazing pace.

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.