All Topics / General Property / Property bust not here yet … worse to come

Viewing 20 posts - 441 through 460 (of 1,123 total)
  • Profile photo of simplesimple
    Participant
    @simple

Welcome to 2009
    I see many great opportunities coming up in 12-18 months in RE. With pricing on decline I started sniffing out  RE I am interested in and noted that in reality I can get 10-20% off asking price on the top of official figures of 10% drop for 2008.

We are in for a free fall by the look of thinks. This is great for first home buyers and purchasing IP at the end of cycle.  

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Right now I am hearing the proprty market is holding up as people are holding back from sale as they are hoping for a rebound.
    I have enjoyed the REI "news" feeds to the media in December showing that the market was BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.
    Gotta laugh.

Between 01/01/09 and 31/03/09 around 1% minimun of the workforce will lose their jobs, and that will only lift unemployment to 5.5% so at sometime later in the year around another 2 people in the hundred will also go, plus the contarctors will wind down, and the casuals phones will stop ringing.

We are stepping down, with each step leading downwards to the next, I was hoping last year for a short sharp recession, and although I was a so called doomsayer, I think following all conversations I have recently had, it will just get worse and worse.

My favourite right now is that I am betting the super funds last year took all the high value options on their portfolios expecting some rebound to hide the damage from the members. I am betting that if the sharemarket was to jump to 4200 (roughly 20% you will be lucky to see 2% in the super fund this year)

and the ABC just predicted 50k jobs to go in the building sector, they will be lucky if it is only 50K

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Well hello gmh454 and happy 2009 …

I am going to make my prediction …

We will hold together up until the end of the financial year then all hell could break through …

We are behind the overseas markets by at least 4 months and we have not had the full effect from the China down turn yet …

This recession/depression is like none other and is based now on credit, the banks don't have the money to lend and that is why they are tightening their criteria on lending …

We are dealing with banks now selling liquidated stock at 70% less than what it was valued at in 03/08 …

Super funds are going broke along with small time real estate agents and financial advisers …

Where are the best deals IMHO? … within 300 meters of a train station on the north shore in Sydney or similar in other states … renovations on PPOR … buy old houses and redevelop with project builders …

Beware of inland mining towns but Mackay type towns will hold together where the population is over 50,000

The best big deals will come after the end of the financial year … this market will go at least 3 years before it starts to improve … 5 million people start to retire = 25% of population from 2010 = baby boomers.

Pick your markets well when investing and get professional advise to go over the numbers …

Ray White GC sold 39 million dollars of stock last Sunday or 43 of the 93 listings … one penthouse previously worth 4.2 million sold for 2.8 million and that one sale has devalued the whole building by 40 million dollars …

If you have cash you will be treated like a king …

If our prime minister tells us on national television that it's going to get worse then you do the numbers …

There will be more millionaires created in the next 3 years than ever before in history …

D

Profile photo of harbharb
    @harb
    gmh454 wrote:

Between 01/01/09 and 31/03/09 around 1% minimun of the workforce will lose their jobs, and that will only lift unemployment to 5.5% so at sometime later in the year around another 2 people in the hundred will also go, plus the contarctors will wind down, and the casuals phones will stop ringing.

Any idea of what the unemployment rate was at the beginning of the last boom ?

@gmh454

Harb, unemployment would have been higher than it is now, actual figures, could not say.

Wealth I can see several scenarios, but they are not as optomistic as yours..though overall I agree..

thanks for the news of the Gold Coast, the thing is not only has that sale carved $40M off that building but has also taken $x off every building withing reasonable reach, and probably carved a couple hundred mill off the gold coast…

any comments from our broking friends are appreciated..

Profile photo of ErikHErikH
    @erikh

It's pretty typical that high end properties suffer the most in situations like these, and they can distort median prices quite easily.
    I think the lower/medium end of the market in many places incl the GC will hold up well.

@harb
    gmh454 wrote:
    Harb, unemployment would have been higher than it is now, actual figures, could not say.

If unemployment rates above 7.5% during 2001 didn't prevent a boom how is now moving up to the same numbers going to cause a crash ?
    If you are correct and we only go up to 7.5% by the end of this year  then I think the worst IS over.  Not only that but unlike 2001 this time the IR is going down and the government probably doesn't mind a property mini boom to get the economy moving again.

@wealth4life.com

Hello ErikH,

Investments in the Gold Coast are being hit hard … too many spruckers still today selling NEGATIVE geared investment properties in LOW quality areas … our advise to clients is stay away from the GC.

1 Walk to shops
    2 300 meters to a train station
    3 Easy flat walk to a bus stop
    4 Land area must be 700 sq/m +
    5 Do not buy from a finance company or an Unlicensed agent
    6 See a financial adviser and accountant before you sign
    7 Google search the nearby 10 streets or search realestate.com.au or Domain.com.au for pricing on one year old properties nearby.

Coomera areas have fallen from 425k to around 330k and rents average $310.00 now prove to me thats a good investment when I can buy a one bedder in the waterfront at homebush bay sydney for 350k renting for oner 450.00 … Coomera or Homebush?

D

@gmh454

I think you have to think big picture, not just IR.

Things for 2009

Unemployment up -whether it is 7.5 -8.5 or 4.5 to 5.5 it is still the upward movement not the actual % that is key. It is the changes that occur to that 1-3% that will loose jobs. Some will get employed quickly. For most that will be rare. In 1983 I beat the traps for 2 mths and only got a job when I worked for $5 or 20% less than before. Back in 1991 many bank Johnies pounded the pavement for a year and I will quote " not going to rush out and get a job right now, think I will take some time off, there are a couple of things I have been meaning to get around to…" they were not worried until three months later when they started their search. 

For the working masses many without a house will bail, and head north or south for the coast, if you are on the dole, cut  your overheads and enjoy the beach.

A stack of 417 workers will be going home, as Aussies will now do what they would not do before.
    Housing shortage now solved …actually although the REI keeps trying to beat it up, we have not heard much about it for a while..

Of course the ppl who lose jobs will spend less, less money going round will mean guys like my coffee shop owner downstairs will not replace "Mona", and so the slide will go on. More and more business's will slow with job losses, overtime losses creeping up

On top of the unemployment we are going to see the boomers cut spending like we never could have imagined. I have predominatly a boomer client base, and I don't ask but they tell me.
    R@#$ how are you
    " what do you think"
    why what do you mean
    "I mean my b#$%ly super went down"

All my wifes friends spend time telling her how they are trying to put together a budget,  "F#$d has got a small part-time job…"

This massive contraction in spending will have a much worse impact than unemployment initially,  although one feeds the other.

In my office a key strategy among my clients was to help out the kids in recent years, by tapping into a bit of super, or equity and giving them a start in the market. Don't think I will here that as  much this year..What effect does that have on the market ???

And it is only just starting as many of my clients in recent months, convinced that 3300 all ords must be followed by a rebound, keep putting money into the markets…..and thank god they do or the ones bailing will really test it..

Think the Funds losses are  understated. I mean these guys get paid for results, now is not the time for honesty, you watch over the next two years everyone super will get worse even if the markets revived (hey a 20% increase next year, wow, 3,960 I can relax again…) Every accountant has chosen the more optomistic option of valuing assets. Only when a whole new group of CEOS and CFOs are in the chairs will we know the truth..

It will take a year of this before it sinks into most ppl.

Banks only have two lending policies (I have mentioned this before ) and they are
    a) lend to homeless drunks
    b) lend to no-one

Guess which policy is coming up

Right now the RE market is suspended, as sellers are holding back for recovery this year, and newbies are using whatever equity to snatch up a bargain, as they think this is Christmas, low rates, the market dropping, a boom is around the corner. Cannon fodder….Yesterday my favourite image (common we all enjoy seeing pain) was one of the BHP workers getting off the plane following loosing his job. What caught my attention was "and I just bought an investment property"

I mean I work in a mine, the global economy is tanking why not borrow a buckletoad and invest….Come on, who here would have done the same, hand up……..

On the big picture there are a stack of major companies out there some listed and some not, whose expansion helped this boom, sitting on foreign oans no bank in Australia wants to touch unless the Gumnut, guarantees it. Now that is a tricky one, yes the bank should help the good companies and there employees, but should they come to the aid of every Eddie Groves, – that would be political suicide

So far only joke compaies have slid. In 1987 the market crashed, but when did Skase, Bell, Elliot and Bond dive.

maybe we should change this to the Economy Bust is not here yet…..

Ohh and Amex and St. George just announced lay offs

and by way of comparison the top end lead the RE market down in 1991 but everything eventually followed and if you drop was 20% you were lucky..this will be worse.

and Perth will cough up a lung…. ( I have been waiting to say that for so long..)

maybe I should change my name from GMH454 to "Grinch"

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales
    wealth4life.com wrote:
    4 Land area must be 700 sq/m +

Mmm interesting.  I'm a sometimes lurker.  Often enjoy this thread.  We are a few hundred km from Townsville and have been wanting to invest again for some time, but have resisted, happily, sitting on high equity and low loans on two properties, waiting for our opportunity.   and waiting.  and waiting.

We notice in Townsville, over the last 5 years or so, massive development of housing estates.  Homes are being built on 400m2 blocks.  People flock to them – their little piece of paradise.   Walking down the street in one of these areas is surreal – rows and rows of little boxes which, to me, look much the same.   My husband and I feel that they are probably the slums of tomorrow.  We have felt that property closer to the coast and the city, in one of the older suburbs, with a 800m2 block would be better buying. 

Just interesting to hear a comment from someone else who opposes these minimal block size developments.

We feel quite safe, with our own business, in the cattle industry (poised to do quite well at least over the next 12 months), approximately 80% equity over our two properties which are  both working class family homes.  One of the properties is in a cattle town, where most of the town residents are government employed, or employed within the cattle industry and there is a massive housing shortage because all the builders left and went to Townsville for the building boom, and it costs more to build a house here than they are worth when they are finished.  We expect the value loss to be not as bad as in  the major cities, or the mining towns (of course our boom wasn't as good either). 

So we wait, feeling quite safe, but despairing at the people around us who are not in such good shape.

Parents with their own business in executive recruitment, and a half million dollar mortgage in Sydney.
    Friends mortgaged to the hilt on a little box in Townsville – he just lost his mining job.
    Parents three years off retiring whose super fund is crippled.
    My little brother – new to the minining industry, having finally got out of drugs, who now can't get work.
    My sister who resigned from her executive property managment job following unacceptable workplace bullying (at least my brother and sister have no debt).

So, Grinch, despite my enjoying your analysis of the situation and my preparedness to believe this could be a nasty downturn, I have to pull you up.  Your favourite picture of yesterday could have had our best friends on it.  And our joy at our good position, and our impatience about when to invest again, and our excitement about what cards played right on the way out of this down turn could mean for our own personal wealth is somewhat tempered by the heartache being felt by our freinds and family around us. 

@gmh454
    SHales wrote:
    wealth4life.com wrote:

So, Grinch, despite my enjoying your analysis of the situation and my preparedness to believe this could be a nasty downturn, I have to pull you up.  Your favourite picture of yesterday could have had our best friends on it.  And our joy at our good position, and our impatience about when to invest again, and our excitement about what cards played right on the way out of this down turn could mean for our own personal wealth is somewhat tempered by the heartache being felt by our freinds and family around us. 

Sorry, ….. granted ….everyone of the stories are real. that was pushing a bit far….

Hope he bounces back and one day can look back and laugh..

@gmh454

In NSW there are 1800 properties with a asking rental of $1,000+ per week are vacant hmmmmmm

first home buyers bailing out investors exiting the market, and a record number of houses unsold from 2008 rolling into the current year..

going to be an interesting year..

@wealth4life.com

GMH you are loving this you bad boy … haha … you are one of my favorite responders.

Yes I agree in fact we predicted that rents would fall contrary to others belief months ago … the same thing happened in the 90s when rents went up young people stayed at home with mum and dad longer and saved, you see folks renters are not stupid people, their wage packet can only sustain soooooooooo much.

Just like the coal miners they are not stupid either and started asking why should we pay stupid rents to investors … I mean really these guys work in horrific conditions on big money and investors expect them to part with ALL OF THEIR money … well folks it's about to stop and lots are going to learn the lesson of "oh my god I own a property in a mining town which is now a ghost town"

When buying an investment you also need to apply a degree of intelligence to the purchase … unfortunately if you are 35 years old or younger how old were you in 1990 in the last recession? good luck we all have to learn some harder than others.

D

@shales

wealth4life,
    With your obvious knowledge of the Sydney market, can I ask your opinion on my parents PPOR?

They bought 5 acres at Galston in a bush block.  Very pretty, bushland lifestyle block.  They paid $900Kish, with a house on it that had severe white ant damage. (At the time it seemed to be the land value).  After deciding that the cost of demolishing and rebuilding was too great, they have since spent $100K+ on a very tasteful, modern reno, which is incomplete.  The house is quite large, Two storey, large living, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 4 bed plus office/rumpus, pool.  It is not conveniently located, being about a 5 minute drive from Galston shops, and the fastest way to the train line (Hornsby) is the 20min or so drive through Galston gorge.  But it is very pretty, idyllic even with a lovely litte freshwater creek, with turtles and lots of wild animals etc.

They have done considerable improvement to the land, too and have probably freed up about 2 acres as arable (suitable for horses).   The rest is too rocky to be improved for horses.

With their own business in executive recruitment, they are considering, bail out of the half completed reno now, or stick around and try to continue to make the payments from somewhere, hoping that money will come up.. I believe they have some breathing room, being ahead in their mortgage.  They would have about $450K equity.

Interested to know your thoughts on the value of property in this area.  My gut feeling (not knowing the area) is pretty dire, particulary with the reno incomplete.  It will take a fair bit more money to complete the reno, so that is not an option while the company has zero income.

I should mention that they love living there, and would really hate to sell.

Any insight you can give would be useful.
    Cheers
    S

@wealth4life.com

Hello S Hales,

Philip here Danielle has asked me to comment on this …

Firstly yes a totally beautiful area and in fact quite possible they are neighbors with a friend of mine Kevin Hurley from Parramatta Mortgage and Leasing.

I do not know what your parents financial position is and most importantly their age and how far away from retirement they are. This property may suffer for another 5 years or more until this financial crisis settles down. Unless these acreage properties have all the bells and whistles on them they are hard to sell, sheds, big house, tennis court, golf driving net, 6 car garaging etc remember big properties need big things.

My accountant had 25 acres at 125 Pitt town road Kenthurst in the last recession and could nott sell it for 5 years … when people are cutting back they look at acerage properties like boats … money goes in nothing comes out.

They have two choices keep it and wait or flick it and invest in a better area. Do the numbers on a piece of paper because numbers don't lie … in the holding on period they can waste money and TIME which is more valuable. I am assuming they are 50 or above … How about an old s..tter in Turramurra walk to rail and bowl it over then build a Masterton. Westminister, or Clarendon 40 sq/m home on it that will value up at around $1,600.000.00 in todays market. Purchase an old sh..ter for around $650 – 725k

Turramurra or Warrawee (or west Pymble) are only 20 minutes away and I believe the Sydney North Shore will grow by 30% in the next 3 years eg; walk to rail and schools… currently they are losing money while my way they will gain … secondly my question is 5 years from now how old will they be? and do they really need a big property at 60?

Secondly their arcerage has rock on it and what percentace I don't know, can they change the concept of it … can they get a DA for a 100 sq/m home … I do coneptual planning which means I create the dream for others to buy … In essence what I am saying here is get a project home builder to DESIGN, in 3D the biggest most spectacular house, pool, tennis court etc and then sell the property with the DA … don't build just paint the dream for the buyer … cost to do this about $20,000.00 or much less … does it work yes it has in the past.

Thirdly can they trade the property … stick and add in the paper "older couple wants to down size and is will ing to trade smaller house around ….. for 5 beautiful acres in Galston.

Wish I had a crystal ball and I hope I have been of help … Philip S (think laterally) 

@shales

Thanks for your ideas, Phillip.  I hear your idea of selling and buying closer on the North Shore, to take advantage of growth there over the next few years.  However, it will be difficult to convince Mum and Dad that selling at what I expect at the moment to be a considerable loss is the best thing to do.  Purchasing the property in the first place was more a lifestyle decision than an investment decision, but given the lack of income from the business, it is necesarry to make a decision now about wether to hold the property for as long as possible or to break free now.

Mum and Dad are 59 – and no, they don't need a big property, they want one.  They were suffocating in the suburbs in Berowra a couple of years ago, and with Dad determined to stay with the business and line the retirement coffers some more, they had to find a compromise between their semi rural ideal of retirement, and staying close enough to the city to continue to earn some bucks.  Everyone's investment criteria are different I guess!

Your DA idea is terrific and would probably suit the property well, but I can't imagine them bulldozing the $100k+ reno.  I couldn't even suggest it after all the hard work and heartache….  they needed that idea 2 years ago.  Oh well.

Cheers
    S

@harb
    gmh454 wrote:
    I think you have to think big picture, not just IR.

Things for 2009

Unemployment up -whether it is 7.5 -8.5 or 4.5 to 5.5 it is still the upward movement not the actual % that is key. It is the changes that occur to that 1-3% that will loose jobs. Some will get employed quickly. For most that will be rare. In 1983 I beat the traps for 2 mths and only got a job when I worked for $5 or 20% less than before

In 1983 unemployment was over 10% and yet there were lots of jobs available if you didn't mind what job you took.  I remember not wanting to work and  the social security guys harassing me to take a job or they were going to cut my dole if I refused the third job offer. After taking 3 jobs in as many months I had  no more excuses and decided to try my luck in SA where they supposedly had higher unemployment rates.  I remember the good times I had at Glenelg beach for a whole week before the the social security office found me a job and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. 
    As long as jobs are available any upward movement in unemployment rates is artificial and anyone squeezed hard enough will   take whatever job is available rather then the job they would prefer doing. When it comes to jobs I think we are in a much better position now then we were in 1983.

Quote:
    For the working masses many without a house will bail, and head north or south for the coast, if you are on the dole, cut  your overheads and enjoy the beach.

I think they got smarter these days, you move to a higher unemployment area and they cut you off the dole. Then when you do get it its off to paining rocks or whatever they do on the  work for the dole program these days.

Quote:
    A stack of 417 workers will be going home, as Aussies will now do what they would not do before.
    Housing shortage now solved …actually although the REI keeps trying to beat it up, we have not heard much about it for a while..

Not quite, some of the Aussies replacing the 417 workers would come from the mines where they lived in dongas and other  employer provided accommodation and some would be returning expats. The only housing shortage solved  would be in mining towns and very little would change in the cities.

Quote:
    Of course the ppl who lose jobs will spend less, less money going round will mean guys like my coffee shop owner downstairs will not replace "Mona", and so the slide will go on. More and more business's will slow with job losses, overtime losses creeping up

The coffee shop owner will now have to work for a living instead of hanging around chatting to customers and keeping an eye on  "Mona" .  
    Mona if unskilled can easily find a job pushing a broom , filleting fish or replacing  some of the backpackers working illegally in orchards and vineyards.

Quote:
    Right now the RE market is suspended, as sellers are holding back for recovery this year, and newbies are using whatever equity to snatch up a bargain, as they think this is Christmas, low rates, the market dropping, a boom is around the corner.

But isn't that exactly what happened after 1983 and 2001? If not for the 18% IR its very likely that it would have happened in 1991 as well.  

Quote:
    and by way of comparison the top end lead the RE market down in 1991 but everything eventually followed and if you drop was 20% you were lucky..this will be worse.

and Perth will cough up a lung…. ( I have been waiting to say that for so long..)

I don't remember Perth going down 20% in 1991, more like 5% but anyway I hope you haven't been waiting since then.
    Just how long have you been waiting to say that ? This thread has only been going on since 2006 when median prices in most capital cities were $100k lower and rents were almost half they are now. 
    …Worse to come ? Maybe for renters and fence sitters.   

@wealth4life.com

Hi Hard,

Yes this thread has been going since 2006 … because the bubble burst in 2005 at the peak.

2 years ago people here started warning people about the ugly side of investing and TIMING the market, thats not negative thats the truth in investing.

This site is based on getting advise thats why people come here IMHO and for others older to give wisdom.

We are in a WORLD credit crisis … if the market in property starts going up tomorrow say 30% across the board who has the capacity to BUY when jobs and wages are being suspended?????

The times earning ratio on affordability is way out of wack … thats the problem so can a person on $100,000.00 income buy a 2 million dollar property and raise two kids on it at a 100% home loan … show me …

D

@gmh454
    wealth4life.com wrote:
    Hi Hard,

Yes this thread has been going since 2006 … because the bubble burst in 2005 at the peak.

Wealth think it would have peaked in NSW in mid 2003 except the "BLOCK" drove it onwards.

Harb good points, but we seem to be meeting at an angle not quite meshing.

Still think all my points will fall into line, though I do see your angles, and they will have some impact, and on Perth been waiting since 2003, and it is very very soon.

Not bragging but if you want a description of this mess go through my posts from the last 4 years..right then, though will say my time expectations were off at times, so I am happy to sit on my current predictions (who knows maybe they will cough up both), although on a micro level I am a very compassionate person on a macro level I will slow down and watch the wreck as I pass by..

Not just a naysayers but called China and the mines as did many others here years ago

Several years when the ABC asked a major long term economic forecaster who predicted the minerals prices peaking (this was around 2006 may be early ) they said "and what we happen to Australia" reply "well Australia is too small to run a model on …but ask yourself what do you sell the world.."

been watching the wreck ever since..

@gmh454
    SHales wrote:
    wealth4life,
    With your obvious knowledge of the Sydney market, can I ask your opinion on my parents PPOR?

They bought 5 acres at Galston in a bush block. 

Any insight you can give would be useful.
    Cheers
    S

Live in the area and we breed rabbits, lots of and lots of Peters with bright blue coats and shiny brass buttons. (you would thinks the snakes would get down the burrows and finish them off…..damm lazy snakes)

My thoughts on the area are in line with the other 1/2 of wealth. Specifically unless a house has a certain value in presentation, the bells and whistles you are then looking a land only with investors who will put a value on the improvements as it will determine rent, but investors have a sharper attitude and do not make the emotional buy that will open up the pockets with a "just got to have it attitude"

Other point is that property in the area takes much longer to sell, than other areas as if you look at the houses for sale at any one time they all will be very different, appealing to very different tastes.

The Hills has mansions, land bankers and investors and your prorperty will appeal to the later two. If they concentrate on imrpovements aimed at those two they will not go wrong.

Sorry can't be of more help.

Viewing 20 posts - 441 through 460 (of 1,123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.