All Topics / Help Needed! / Investing Married Couples – how do you do it?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Profile photo of MabbottMabbott
    @mabbott

I’m really struggling with my fiancee when it comes to learning about property investing. I very passionately want to make a life change to include Property investing and want to do it together.. She’s says shes interested but spends her time on the computer looking up wedding cakes while i’m on here reading and searching the web for resources. She still hasn’t read page one of steve’s books??

Im just interested to hear from others on hear who make it work and wondered who does what in the partnership and who has what skills that compliment the other… OR who does it separately as a job wile the other works 9-5?????

I had grand visions of being good at sourcing properties while my wife has a gift for choosing the right improvements or financing [blush2]something like that!!

This is a big area of concern for me and would very much appreciate all and any feedback

I think if your not working in the same direction things become harder

thanks
    Michael

still don’t know what i don’t know

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

try subscribing to http://www.apimagazine.com.au or buy it at the newsagent it is called Australian Property Investor Magazine.
    A wedding is a very important event for your fiancee who has waiting for this event all her life. Be patient as the wedding will be the only thing on her mind at the moment. Once children are thought of your wife will want to finacially secure future for your future children.

Profile photo of marbel1marbel1
    @marbel1

Hi Michael,

I’m married with two kids and my wife thinks property investing is a bit iffy. I manage to do all my investigating and property reading last thing at night when the kids and my wife are in bed. It’s not easy finding enough time but then you just need to pace yourself accordingly.

It’s kinda working for me at the moment.

Cheers

Profile photo of MagellanMagellan
    @magellan

Hi Michael, Whilst weddings are nice — Marriage is more important– spouse and I had no money when we married so did not spend anything on the wedding– still was beautiful. I cannot see the point of hiring limos and other luxuries if u are going to return from the honeymoon and live in debt, driving a bomb– Not that I am implying that you are doing this- just emphasising that some sort of sense has to prevail in all this overspending on weddings. I can say this as I sit here looking out the window at the Harbour from my fully paid for “des. res”. Your fiance might be a tad immature. Only you can decide if she will grow out of it and be prepared to contribute to your mutual wealth building. By the way, get a pre Nup agreement. Despite all the nice “trust ‘n love ” posts on that thread. I am willing to bet that when faced with signing one it is the partner that has the lesser ( or usually no assets) that protests about trust etc. Pre Nups benefit both parties if both have assets existing before the marriage. Expecting the marriage to last, love, etc is not the relevant reason. It should just be a part of your preparation for the Marriage–like a health check,or making or changing your will ‘in Contemplation of marriage’ is what you will insert in it if you make it before the wedding. Your fiance should also make hers.Just sensible preparation which will be more use than the frilly bits- All the best, Marriages CAN last- I am in for over 40 years.

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

Hi Michael,

The first thing you need in a marriage is to invest in yourselves. Do the wedding that she wants, take a honeymoon that you will never forget. You are not about to run out of time.

Magellan and wife may not have spent much on their wedding, but that was obviously a mutual thing. Likewise yours needs to be mutual. Forget the concept of pre Nup, unless it had already been discussed. Things change, my wife had more to offer financially than I did when we started out, but things have changed.

We did not own any property when we got married, when we did buy our home late in the first year of marriage, we borrowed all we could to get the place we wanted. The wife was the one pushing for us to buy an IP, I was the one doing all the research, reading books, working out finances etc. 5 years on (next month), I’m the one who reads the books, does the research, organises finance, does all the spreadsheets etc on the numerous IP’s that we have since purchased. That’s what I do though, because I enjoy it. The wife, loved our trips interstate to have a bit of a holiday and check out potential IP’s. She is the one with pen and paper, comparing the goods and the bads of each property, I crunch the numbers. We are both involved, but with distinctly different roles.

You say “I had grand visions of …”, does the fiancee, know about this vision ?
    Just for a moment put yourself in her shoes, is she saying “We have this wedding to organise, and he is spending all his time on the net searching for property , or reading books on property… I wish he’d just focus on us for a while.”

There is this old technique that can help alleviate some of “your” concerns, it’s called “communication”. The topic and timing need to be right though.

You will both get there, we and many other have. Others will realise when, by the fact that you without even knowing, substituted “I” for “we”.

You continue learning, her part in will come, it just may not be as you had envisaged.

Ps. I’m really crap at the above metioned “Communication” thing. I get it right sometimes though, either by blind luck , or the fact that I actually attempted.

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

Profile photo of MabbottMabbott
    @mabbott

shwing,
    we are planning a very nice reasonable wedding that K and I are very excited and happy with… K suggested not having a honeymoon “as it would be a waste of better used money” – her words!! Thanks for the insights, i never thought she may be thinking the way you described.
    Do you feel that your wifes input is very helpful, what does she do in the grand scheme of it all?

Magellan,
    I don’t need to worry about our “handling” of what we have, that’s a very positive part of our relationship, we are both very good with money and as a result the wedding planning has been very smooth and not too stressful… yet(still 5 months[blush2]). On the prenup side of the conversation i thankyou for your comments but we don’t much that we are bringing to the table!!

Does your partner contribute to your Investing?

Thankyou both for your comments, i do appreciate them[biggrin]

Profile photo of tonyy21692tonyy21692
    @tonyy21692

Hi Michael

My wife Bonnie will be the first to agree that only 2 years ago she struggled against coming on board the journey to become financially free.

Looking back now she would say she thought it was my role to do the finance stuff and whilst she had 2 degrees and a great career (a geologist) she threw it in to raise our boys, (now 3, 5 & 7). And she just didn’t have time to read any books let alone investing books.

Things are different now, she manages our portfolio, both residential and commercial here and overseas. The rewards for her have been far more than the monetary things (which are nice) that spin off from our teamwork.

To pinpoint the change? I like to think it was my unending enthusiasm which culminated to a tipping point when I “dragged” her along to a Steve & Dave seminar. Where she said (with all due respect) if these boneheads can do this so can we. And we have.

I have no doubt you can achieve your goals on your own but we have gotten there quicker working together. Let me suggest you start by asking your fiancee, her needs, wants and desires. And work with those with the view to getting her on board.

Regards

Tony

Profile photo of mccozmccoz
    Participant
    @mccoz

Hi Mabbot,

I started my journey in property investing earlier this year. My husband wasn’t sceptical, but I knew he felt fear. i researched myself, carried on and at the end of the year have 2 investment properties under my belt, with bigger ideas coming up for 2006. Within that year, I got hubbie excited about getting involved in an renovation job – the potential profits was the dangling carrot,(house has just been put on the market) my second property is a wrap, and again, eyes lit up when he saw the positive cashflow coming in. He’s still not passionate, but is supportive of what i’m doing. He did read one of Steve’s books, which helped alot. I think with each project, the fear factor will lessen, and at some point, I aim to have him aboard this exciting journey.

Get the wedding out of the way, enjoy being a married couple for a while, then go for it! Good Luck!

mccoz

Profile photo of adambcadambc
    Participant
    @adambc

Hi Mabbot,

The above comments are all excellent. My two bob’s worth:

– for the moment concentrate on the wedding. Two reasons – it is a heck of a lot for one person to plan on their own (and if you work together it will make it that much more special for YOU on the day! There’s no rule set in stone saying that it is ONLY the bride’s day!), and secondly if you show interest and excitement in this (her “thing”), then down the track she may be more likely to show interest and excitement in PI (your “thing”).

– At some stage after the wedding and honeymoon (or maybe even during the honeymoon, if you decide to have one!), both of you should read “The Wealthy Barber”. It is a very readable book, written like a novel, about what anyone and everyone can do now to be wealthy in the yrs to come. This was the book that fired my wife up to read and research further. After this one, I’d suggest Rich Dad Poor Dad (to expand her reality), one of Steve’s (also because they’re very readable and not too daunting, but full of great inspiring stuff), and then some more of the Rich Dad series (perhaps Retire Young Retire Rich, and Real Estate Riches). I guarantee that once she’s read all, or even one or two, of these books, she’ll be firing on all cylinders, and chomping at the bit to get out there! That’s where my wife is now – so I can vouch for this path. It does work!

Best of luck with all this Mabbot. For now though, concentrate on that wedding! It will (hopefully!) be the only one you’ll ever have, so make it AWESOME!

Regards,

Adam

Don’t let life get in the way of living.

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Mabbott hi,

not much more I can add, except that women are funny creatures! You invest one ounce in them and they repay you by the pound! And that usually goes both ways.

Invest in your family first (most if not all published investors say that) then invest in other things! Who else are you going to share it with if you have no family?

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing
    Originally posted by Mabbott:

Do you feel that your wifes input is very helpful, what does she do in the grand scheme of it all?

Yes, J (wife) is very helpful. If your partner believes in you and supports you, especially when it involves lots of Zero’s ($), then that is extremely helpful. J works a 37.5 hr week herself, pays all household expenses, does the bulk of the shopping, cooking, housekeeping,(generally before I even get home) and has supported me through 6 years of Uni. She has been to about 30 property inspections with me this year.
    In the last 18 months, she has lost her father, had a miscarriage, had an ectopic pregnancy, surgery, stresses about me finishing uni and changing jobs, plus we refinanced an IP and have purchased 2 other IP’s, both interstate.

In the grand scheme of things, now that you make me think about it, J does heaps, more than I probably give her credit for. Bugger, I should probably buy her some of those flowers she whinges that I never buy her.

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

@mabbott

wow, sounds like J is a great business and marriage partner.. perspective and reflection are great things

Michael

Profile photo of Jenny1Jenny1
    @jenny1

Hi Mabbott!

In a partnership one compliments the other in some way or form.

In my own scenario I am the one that does all of the searching and number crunching, I tend to suss out the finance side of things, tradies, PM etc.

Although it does not seem my partner does alot, I rely on him to keep me sane and grounded when things go wrong and believe me when they go wrong you need your rock there. I communicate every step of the way and ask for his thoughts to keep him involved with what is happening.

Enthusiasm is contagious, everthing I read that gets me excited rubs off to him.

So my words of wisdom to you communication is the key to making anything work.

Good luck with your investing [thumbsupanim]

Jenny

Jenny1

Profile photo of MITMIT
    Participant
    @millionaire-in-training

Hi Mabbott

I once heard at a Kiyosaki Seminar that if the other person does seem interested in making the dough, just go and do it then put it in your own bank account<lol>. Not sure I subscribe to that :-). One thing I do subscribe to though is to couch it in her terms based on her value system. If her value system suggests a value in nice clothes, material things etc, talk about all those things she can have once the investing produces. Maybe she is working and plans on children but cannot see herself being able to afford to stay home with them. Maybe investing can help etc, etc. Miscommunication is often about not being able to talk to someone else using their value system.

But all in all enjoy the journey, whichever way you go.

regards
    Sue

MIT | Owen Real Estate
    Email Me

Profile photo of jel08jel08
    Participant
    @jel08

Hi Mabbott and others

Great thread. I got fired up a couple of years ago after reading Kiyosaki, then Steve’s books, then finally attending a Masterclass earlier this year. My husband was supportive enough but not to the point of reading the books or attending the seminars (“I’m too busy”). We decided to look in NZ, not because lots of others were doing it but because we have been visiting the country on and off for the last 20 years and are thinking of moving there in a couple of years when kids are through school/uni. Partner loved the holiday and became quite enthused when actually viewing properties, so I quickly realised for him it was the ‘doing’ and not the research/money etc side of things that would keep him involved.

We are now investing in the States which ties in well with his work which involves substantial travelling, mostly to the States. So now he can go look at the properties over there, take photos, talk to the agents, then we discuss when he comes home and go ahead or not – and I do all the organisational stuff.

Let your fiancee research cakes and whatever for your big day, enjoy your early days together, then slowly find out which bit of PI appeals to her. Jenny was right – with good communication you can make anything work. Best of luck to you both.
    Jane

Profile photo of ozsparky200319117ozsparky200319117
    @ozsparky200319117

Basically my husband just signs his share of the paperwork & away I go! Fortunately I now have a trusty finance broker keeping his beady eye on me in case I get out of control! Husband will probably next show interest at the point where I tell him he can quit his job cos we’re rolling in cash! LOL

Sparky

@mabbott

wow, I’m glad i asked.. i guess i pictured all you experienced ones in a office at home together in your PJ’s with the wife at one computer and the husband on the phone smiling at each other giving the thumbs up with a wink..

I like the way jenny said that helpful involvement can just be a supportive ear that helps keep you level

I was also half expecting one person to be the property tycoon and the other the partners bringing in the steady income…

Is it just me or is the tread so far that the ladies are the savvy ones??

Profile photo of Jay HJay H
    @jay-h

As for you comments on spouses investing together, my wife and I do it, basically we have a kind of deal where I handle any finances over $10,000 and she deals with the smaller things like our monthly bills. When we want to make a major purpose she nows the monthly impact it will have and I look at the grander scale of the investment itself. She basically says real estate is my thing so I can do it my way. It works for us but we also have completely opposite personalities so we are a good team, complementing each others faults.

Profile photo of jel08jel08
    Participant
    @jel08

Sparky’s nailed it! Tell them PI means they can quit the daily grind and watch the level of enthusiasm go into orbit. Are women more savvy? Not going into that area, just find each other’s strengths and go with that. I’m an accountant turned TAFE teacher so I was always going to be good at dull grey boring details, hubby’s an entrepreneurial engineer and is heaps better than me at big picture stuff. We’ve spent years learning to communicate and trust each other and like Sparky, he now signs any document I shove under his nose, also happily gave me a power of attorney because he’s away so much. At that stage you just become a great team and I’m sure you’ll get there.[exhappy]

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

We’ve been married for 8 years (4 kids)and property investing for the last 2 years. My husband works fulltime to fund the loans and I spend my days finding & fixing up property. My husband is the ideas man and I’m the detail one. Our latest reno settles on Friday so should be a very MERRY Christmas.
    I agree with the others you need to talk with your fiancee on your dreams and plans for the future. Make sure you’re both going in the same direction. Also how is money to be shared, how are chores to be shared, do you want kids, where will you live ……Talk these over before you say “I do”

AJBS

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.