All Topics / Help Needed! / Investing Married Couples – how do you do it?

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Profile photo of MabbottMabbott
    @mabbott
    Originally posted by AmandaBS:

My husband works fulltime to fund the loans and I spend my days finding & fixing up property.

thanks for advice amanda

Does anyone know of a couple who are both full time investors without 9-5 work??

still don’t know what i don’t know

Profile photo of AuzzieLadAuzzieLad
    Participant
    @auzzielad

Hello Mabbott & all,

Mate hate to admit but I am in the same boat but just not dealing with the wedding at present :)

I am lucky I do shift work 4 on & 4 off, basically on weekends and night shift @ work ( shhhh ) I take my lap top and do my research and search for property.

My partner has the same interest in property as I do in ‘The bold & beautiful’ :(

But with all partnerships comes the most important thing ‘Comprimise’. This is a key factor/word/instrument can make and break.

Ok ok ok yeah I have sat down and watch a couple of episodes to see through her eyes. ( not much by the way.) But she has now taken up the book of Steve million in one year.

Futhermore she is even asking questions!

You rippa I say and yes confirmation she still watches Bold & beautiful.

But hey Rome wasnt built in a day ( she says & yes shes Italian too she knows)

Damn think I am having a whinge now hehehe.

Happy comprimising :)

Profile photo of emjoyemjoy
    @emjoy

Hi Michael!

For a second I wondered if you were my fiancee posting! Then I realised that while yes, I am also currently staring at wedding cakes (it’s astounding how many different types there are!), I’m also the one with the passion to make the life change to investing in Property full time while my partner hasn’t even looked at the cover of Steve’s books!

My partner is definitely not interested at this point in time and at first it was a concern to me – how are we going to “work out” in the future if we didn’t have shared vision? I realised though, that while he doesn’t have the same interest in IP (or any at all!), he is still supportive of what I intend to do and is willing to listen to my ramblings about what I’m doing. So while it’s not my dream vision of an investing partnership, I’m still getting out and about and giving it a go, and like some of the others have said, as soon as I have done a few deals and the positive cashflow starts coming in and our portfolio starts growing, I believe he won’t be able to resist joining me – especially once I can quit my day job!

I’m sure in time your partner will be swayed by your enthusiasm and after the wedding will take more interest. For now though, relax and let her plan – at least you won’t have to do the cake and flower research!!

Have a great wedding – All the best.

Emjoy

Profile photo of aussieinvestoraussieinvestor
    Participant
    @aussieinvestor

Mabbott

Great thread with interesting replies.

Magellan, I hope you don’t go into marriage counselling!!! lmao

I think that this is a very important topic. My partner is very much on the conservative side wheras I work in a very high risk occupation and have recently been investing in quite high risk investments in NZ and USA.

I have made the commitment that I will not leave my occupation until such time that my investing activities will replace my income. With my recent investments in the US, that day is getting closer and closer. I just need to stop getting payrises as the target keeps getting further away!!!

She has little or no interest in investing but allows me to to go about my business as required and sometimes comes along for the ride, although she stayed at home when I went to the States.

I don’t know your fiancee or her personality, but from what you are saying, the wedding is very important to her, as I guess it is traditionally the bride’s day. Perhaps after the wedding her focus will alter and she may then support your investing activities.

I guess that communication is the key. I hope it all works out for you.

All the best…Giraffe

“Real Estate – The Foundations of Wealth”

aussieinvestor | Digital Revenue Pty Ltd
    http://appliancewhiz.com
    Email Me

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Hi there,

Well, my hubby is very suportive of the investing that we do, but unless it needs a hands on approach in fixing it (which he is very good at when it’s been needed), then he’s quite happy to leave it to me. I don’t have an issue with this, he works long hours anyway, to earn the money that pays our every day living expenses. The investing that I do is for our future, we are both happy with the way tings a re separated feeling that we are using each other’s strengths ie: the first IP we bought I did drap him along and it wasn’t a very happy experience. Since then I tend to look on my own, much more enjoyable for both of us. Also, he has never had any interst in finances so if happy to leave organising of finance, working out whose name it should be better in, insurance etc, to me. I’m happy to do this side of it as I do like the numbers game, yet working the everyday same grind doesn’t interest me, yet he is happy to do that so that way our bills are covered while we get the investing happening.

So, it may not be that she doesn’t support you in what you want to do, it may simply be that she doesn’t have an interest in exactly the same thing you do.

My suggestion is just check she doens’t have an objections and if not then go ahead and do your thing if that’s what you believe you’re good in. A marraige is a partnership, but it defintley doesn’t mean you should do every single thing together as long as you are supportive of each other, perahps this is one of those things you won’t do together and just be supportive when needed.

Best wishes for the wedidng and the future.

Regards
    PK

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Hi, DD here with the answer you are looking for (i hope). Yes it is possible to both work on nothing but properties. My wife and I started about 5 years ago with our first neg geared(yuk) investment in a unit in Blacktown NSW. Annette was pregnant and holding the tummy in so we could get the loan through. She was in HR at the time and I was the self employed computer consultant. So her stable “mainstream” job got us over the line in the first place. Then on seeing the actual figures after the first 6 months we went “oh poo”. We had hoped that just investing would be enough to show some return early on. What we had was costing us money every month and with the loss of Annette’s income imminent it sent warning bels through both of us.

We sold it 14 months after buying it and made $60k. This paid off the last of our home loan and we were free and clear. Annette was the motivated one going to seminars and reading all the books, I was the “aww, do we have to” partner.

Someone asked is the wife more astute when investing. I say NO!!, just more determined to change things(you included), and not willing to compromise on plans.

Late night feeding, she found a house at Regents Park for $95k. I asked if it had a roof or termites or how many inches to the industrial estate. We found no reference to any of that for the 4 bedroom brick veneer home. Then realised it was Regents Park QLD accidentally listed in the wrong state.

This was just before chrissy 2001 and the rest is history.

My main point is if the fiancee has the wedding in her sights, get involved and have a say in how elaborate or not it is. The more you save there the more you have for the first deposit after its a sweet memory and some piccies.

Spend time with her, learn to communicate at all levels first then as true partners you will both move forward and wonder what all the fuss was about.

This type of thread appears regularly and is always a great read. So many of us start from so many different places and end up here chatting online that its great we all have similar stories.

Helping others find property now as my full time work whilst my wife does all the paperwork and pays rates etc and manages the managers in her totally professional way, we have a good balance with 2 kids, a cat and a widescreen TV.

Keep up with it and there is always a smile and a chat in here for us all.

Happy Hunting

DD[rolleyesanim]

Buyers Agent (Dip Financial Services(FP)
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Profile photo of Angel007Angel007
    Participant
    @angel007

Gosh, I don’t understand some women. I’m a woman, earn twice to three times as much as my husband, love property investing, have two passive income businesses and have always had an interested in long term financial security.

I like Sci Fi far more than romantic comedies. (Romantic comedies just annoy me, they should be called “unrealistic emotional co-dependancy”). I am the only woman in the newsagent who goes for a copy of “Wealth Creator” than “Vogue.” There’s more substantial stuff in WC.

When we got married the wedding was lovely, but I was not obsessed with bridal mags, cakes or any of that other stuff. I had my wedding dress made simply, with simple things to match. To me the love we had (and have) was far more important. And to sacrifice some things at the wedding for a better financial future made more sense to me than a cake that lasted for 10 hours.

I think many women get caught up in the “image” and “hype” of a wedding and loose sight of whats really important.

Our wedding day was not the “most important day of my life” because life is long and why limit happiness to just one day? Thats crazy! Happiness is for anytime, not because I become a “wife”. I can be happy on my own with or without a husband.

I wish you much luck and happiness my friend, and lets hope your partner realises that property investment is FAR more important than a wedding day.

My best to you and congrats on your marriage.
    Angel

[biggrin]

Profile photo of mapleleafmapleleaf
    @mapleleaf

Hi

My husband and I started PI this year. He has had a great interest in this for ages and I am just recently learning the ropes. I must say it is wonderful to have the common interest, but it is not essential. I am sure you both contribute in different ways to making things work…

I did love our wedding day! My husband helped plan everything and we enjoyed making all of the decisons together. We kept it simple, but it was so specail knowing it was “our” day, not just mine in a fluffy white dress….So I guess putting as much effort into your wedding as you can will make the day even more meaningful to both of you.

And who knows…Maybe one day you can entice your wife-to-be to read something easy like the Weathly Barber and she will be hooked! I know I am. I was just intimidated by what I didn’t know, and now I learn something every week which drives me to learn more! I do think your wife should be informed about your investment ideas and plans, she might just catch the spark of your excitment and get involved too!

Good luck with your wedding and your investing future!

Mapleleaf

Achieve the Dream!

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.