All Topics / Help Needed! / To rent or not to rent? that is the question

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of freedom5freedom5
    @freedom5

Hi all
    I have a friend that has recently refinanced her 3 bed unit in Melbourne for another 25years. She is a single mum with 3 kids, with a perm/part time job. Obviously she is struggling to pay the mortgage and would like some advise. She owes approx $150k, and has recently decided to put all her wages onto the mortgage fornightly – raising the payments from $250/f to $800/f.
    She is wondering should she rent out her unit for $220/w and move in with her family thereby paying $210/w in rent herself. But by doing this she will receive an extra $70/w from Centrelink.
    In the long term, is she better to stay in her own home or rent it out?
    Thanks.

Profile photo of TorachanTorachan
    @torachan

Seeing a tax advisor gets my vote. Nothing beats qualified advice. Good luck

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

It’s actually difficult to discuss this without further info, eg., how old are each of the children?

But, if I were in her situation, I would consider both financial and lifestyle issues.

Financial:
    From the $800/f.n (in the hand), I’m assuming she is in the 30% tax bracket (with gross approx. $30K-$35K p.a).

I’m assuming repayments on $150K (@ 6.5%) are around $185-$190/wk (let’s say $190). So, my first question is – what’s the problem with her paying $380f.n.? If she can’t, then this might force her to move in with parents.

However, if $220/wk is coming in from rent, it will cover repayements. But, she is payig out $210 per week in rent herself (more expensive than the mortgage repayents!). So, there are no real gains from positive gearing & no tax efectiveness from negative gearing. Therefore, I don’t see any real financial advantage in moving in with parents.

Lifestyle:
    Moving in with parents might cramp your lifestyle somewhat (depending on your lifestyle). I hear other single mums reading this, laughing and thinking..”what lifestyle – I have 3 kids!!” But moving in with family could potentially save on child care costs. Only your friend would know the answer to this one.

If your friend could afford $250/f.n., then she only needs $65/wk to make the repayments ($190/wk mortgage – $125/wk repayments. Could your friend borrow $65/wk from family instead and repay the debt when she has built up some more equity in the unit & when her cashflow situation improves?

Just a thought…

Anyway, there are people in this forum who are far more intelligent than me, so hopefully they will come up with some innovative suggestions for you.

Best of luck.[biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Profile photo of jparsonsjparsons
    @jparsons

Agree with above thought. Looking at the figures, it would appear as though it is slightly cheaper for her to stay in her place and pay the minimum repayments.

J.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Might be a good move.

She will possibly be able to save a little bit of tax by negative gearing (inc claiming depreciation etc). She could do this for up to 6 years and still claim it as her main residence for tax purposes (no CGT if she sells).

She will also get more centrelink payments (rental assistance?).

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

i wish i could get a 25yr mortgage of $150k for $250 per fortnight – must be less than 2% interest!!!!

on this basis i’d be sticking with it and telling ‘my friend’ to tell no one.

cheers

brahms
    CALL NOW…adults only (boys and girls ask mummy or daddy first) ~~ 1900 HOT BROKER ~~

@granth_1974

Brahms,

I thought freedom5 was saying the friend was paying $250/f.n., which is less than required for the min. repayment, hence she is struggling to pay the mortgage. Not that the min. repayments were $250/f.n.

Is this correct freedom5?

Participant
    @brahms

Jason, i just ran the math thu a financial calculator…on the figures given it doesn’t come close. Maybe my EL-375 is wrong…

cheers

brahms
    CALL NOW…adults only (boys and girls ask mummy or daddy first) ~~ 1900 HOT BROKER ~~

Profile photo of freedom5freedom5
    @freedom5

Hi again
    Yes from what I can gather she was paying $250/w not per fortnight – sorry. She is in Melbourne and the childrens ages are 4, 6 and 16. Yes the extra from Centrelink would be as rental assistance.
    Thanks for all the great advice.

@granth_1974

ok…so to clarify…

She is paying $250/wk or $500/f.n. on a wage of $800.f.n. If she rented, she would be paying $210 per week ($40 less than mortgage repayments). And getting $220/wk rent – to which she would need to contribute $30/wk to cover repayments.

So if she stays puts, her outlay is $250/wk and she is a home-owner OR she can rent & outlays are $240/wk (with possibility of $70/wk in extra Centrlink payments). Is this correct?

I think I would still stay put and pay off mortgage. I would also be asking the 16y.o. to fund their own “recreational activities” from wages they can earn from part-time work and/or get them to pay $20+/wk board.

Cheers,
    Jason.[biggrin]

Participant
    @brahms

concur with Jason, particularly after re-reading earlier post with “lifestyle” subheading.

cheers

brahms

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman
    I would also be asking the 16y.o. to fund their own “recreational activities” from wages they can earn from part-time work and/or get them to pay $20+/wk board

Jason are you seriously suggesting that she take $20 per week from her 16 yr as board…I understand her financial situation from what has been described as tight, however, taking money off your child IMO, is contrary to not only parents responsibility but just wrong.

Whilst some children get part time jobs to fund their lifestyle/save a little, get a small taster on what it is like to work, surely the primary focus should be their education and this might impact their ability to achieve in this area.

Profile photo of eesholeeeshole
    @eeshole

Agree in principle, woodsman, but in this case mum is doing it tough and the 16 y.o. is old enough to take some responsibility and help the family out. It’ll be character building too. A couple of shifts a week at Coles or McDonalds would certainly give them that taste of working life without impacting too much on studies. At award rates that would easily be enough to fund a reasonable social life and help mum out with $20 a week board. I’m sure a 16 y.o. would consume far more than $20 worth of food, electricity, phone, mortgage payments, mum’s labour etc etc in any case.

I am a white collar professional with 3 kids under 7 and on my income we barely make ends meet. My heart goes out to any single mum trying to make it on 30odd grand.

@granth_1974
    Jason are you seriously suggesting that she take $20 per week from her 16 yr as board…I understand her financial situation from what has been described as tight, however, taking money off your child IMO, is contrary to not only parents responsibility but just wrong.

I don’t have any children but I pay 48.5cents in the dollar tax to fund schools that I don’t use, so I guess I feel that the 16y.o. could handle paying $20. Doesn’t seem any less fair than me paying my hard earned dollars to subsidise the 16yo’s education.

cheers,
    Jason.

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

I gave 70% of my Ausstudy to my parents as they were both pensioners at the time I hit High School.

I believe that it also creates a stronger ‘ownership share’ in the family when a teenager is asked to contribute not only with doing house work but can help out with little things like adding a few bobb to the family income.
    I guess it is my upbringing, but I have been doing odd jobs (mowing lawns and the like) since I was 10 and have used that money to put towards my Nick-nacks that I dreamed off so my parents didn’t have to carry the burden! Felt great to be independent (what I thought then)!

I can’t see any harm in contributing $20/wk and working a couple of nights (as long as it is only a couple of nights – not get sucked/ bullied into doing more and more shifts) and that would leave plenty of time to do study and have fun.
    Another Thread talks about the purchase of Cashflow 101 and Cashflow for kids for training and fun! So that Forumite parents can educate their children, rara; and here we are contradicting ourselves over $20/wk. Would working not be an education in itself?

Hmmmm…….food for thought -self assessment?!

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

She is wondering should she rent out her unit for $220/w and move in with her family thereby paying $210/w in rent herself. But by doing this she will receive an extra $70/w from Centrelink

This sounds like she’s immediately $10 per week up – then Centrelink kicks back another $70 per week. And then, because she’s renting an investment property, there are Tax benefits that could assist further

I’ve long been a proponent of “rent first, buy yur own home later” – simply bcause it affords an individual so much more. In this case, it sounds like moving back with Mum and Dad could be the shot in the arm that this friend needs.

Then, again, with this now being an Investment property, the Bank might entertain the idea of allowing an IO loan rather than P&I – which helps the cashflow situation even more.

In the end, since it will remain her PPOR (up to 6 years) a later sale would be CGT exempt. As a recent Tooheys ad says “It’s all good, mate”.

I say “Yes!! Rent it out and stabilise a bit.” Any of the excess funds she finds herself with, she can choose to pay down the mortgage. Meantime she will find things easier and be able to keep a residential investment that will pay her back in later years. Maybe, in 6 years, she will be able to “move back home”.

Benny

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Freedom 5,

Without a shadow of a doubt – far better to stay in her home, especially with 3 children, and get her mortgage under control and then on her way with passive income alternatives.

The uncertainties of moving make the whole thing a bit rubbery;

1. Is she sure she’ll get $ 220 p.w. for her place ??
    2. Why is her family charging her $ 210 p.w. ??
    3. This extra $ 70 p.w. is on top of what amount ??
    4. How much is/are the father/s being forced to chip in ??

In my mind point # 2 is the clincher….why would an extended family that wants to help their daughter and grandchildren in a supposed bind charge them rent that is the same as what their own prop can command ??

No – this whole thing revolves around grandparents accepting growing families back into their downsized homes….won’t work. All this number crunching about 6 years on…don’t think so…family dynamics overrides everything – it won’t happen.

Bottom line – struggle through and stay where she is.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“Go hard or go home”

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

OK,

I didn’t answer the question…

Not – that is the answer.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.