All Topics / General Property / Seen It All Before?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of GramyreGramyre
    @gramyre

I was just reading through several posts that cried (read in a booming god like voice) ” beware the end of the cycle hath come” and warned that any mug punter could have made money over the last 6 years. That may be true, but couched in such warning tones some may be getting messages that this time is the utterly wrong time to get the feet wet.

I would love to hear from forum members here who chose to enter the market during a flattening or *gasp* a decline in the market and what convinced you to go ahead. How did you go? Good and bad stories would be great (especially if you are kind enough to point out the root causes for the results that ensued).

I know I can, I know I can

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Gramyre,

Sorry I know I don’t exactly qualify as an investor entering the market when it is cool/quiet as it is atm. My guess is that many starter investors would probably be somewhat anxious about buying into it now simply because (a) prospects look gloomy, and (b) naysayers are booming gloomier!!! [blush2]

As an investor from many years, I would encourage any “newbie” investor to buy now on the PROVISO that they do not over-extend themselves financially. If anyone has to stretch their finances beyond a comfortable level, with a min.2% leeway, then they are setting themselves up for potential hardship, and I would highly recommend they don’t do it.

For me, NOW is a great time to buy, property prices are reasonable and negotiation power can be maximised to secure even better deals. Sure CG is not going to be forthcoming in the immediate future (but just like the clairol ad) “it will happen” if you research well, and select wisely.

Good luck and happy house/unit hunting!! [biggrin]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of neo25x5neo25x5
    @neo25x5

hi gramyre

in recent forums i too have noticed the `doomsday’ phenomenon, the cycle has reached the top…yada, yada, yada…..

i do agree that as part of ones overall investment strategy risk and quality of investment are two major factors. the other is the fact that if you enter the market at the top of cycle, you obviously will not make as great as return as if you sat around waiting for the cycle to bottom out. and therein lies the problem. wait with the possibility of missing out on a good buy or sacrifice short term gain and buy at the top?

despite all the negativity around the place i’ve decided to start my portfolio this year. i know im unlikely to see any significant cg in the short term having bought in Tasmania, my objective is to buy and accumulate.

so how did i go? well i settle on the property tomorrow, tenants are already in and the ppty is +cf.all in all im pretty happy actually. [biggrin]
    if the numbers stack up, if you dont buy somebody else will buy it thats for sure! good luck.

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Interesting subject….

My thoughts which maybe crapola…….

When you invest in property, it’s not like the stock market… i.e. a good entry or exit time…….

You should be buying something that is going to generate you value, no matter WHEN you buy……

The Pelicans don’t look at any of that… we look at a house and it’s value compared to the surrounding houses…. and only buy if we are quite sure of a gain….. this has worked well for us…. we just bought house #44 yesterday…..

Just my thoughts…..

You may know the cost of everything…. but what about the value ????

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Wow Pelican – I like your style, hope to be there someday!

I believe it was Jan Sommers that wrote “… it doesn’t matter if you by on a high or a low market, but I aim at buying at or below the median market price and hold for the long term….”
    I like that theory (at this stage – I think we all go thru stages of different developments and styles) as I am mainly interested in Buy and Hold. Hopefully I’ll be able to match that with CF+ properties and I shouldn’t have any problems.

What return do you average for your 44 IPs, Pelican? If I may ask? I was aiming at 10 to 15 houses bringing in average of $200/ week would be enough for me to live comfortably in retirement! Of corse they’d have to be paid out or mostly paid out!

Just my Dreams….

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

C@34,

Thanks…. well, lets just say all are different, but, on average we earn about $100/week per house… after all expenses….

we have set plans, so that quite a few pelicans are supported…. so. our goals are a bit larger…..

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Originally posted by Monopoly:

Sorry I know I don’t exactly qualify as an investor entering the market when it is cool/quiet as it is atm.

Hi Monopoly!
    I thought you had been investing consistently for over 10 years? Surely, you would have seen a period of stagnation or slightly easing prices during that time? On the other hand, are you saying that you believe the market is now cooler/quieter than at any time in the last 10 years? [blink]
    Have you known others who have pulled the pin while you stuck to your plan? Ever been tempted to cut & run? Where did you find the strength to remain committed? How long do you think the average investor will hold on in a flat market?
    My own property investing experience is insignificant compared to yours (I pulled out when I thought the market had topped out in 03), so I value the insight you can offer.

Cheers,
    F.[cap]

@monopoly
    Originally posted by foundation:

Originally posted by Monopoly:

Sorry I know I don’t exactly qualify as an investor entering the market when it is cool/quiet as it is atm.

Hi Monopoly!
    I thought you had been investing consistently for over 10 years?
    24 years to be exact.

Surely, you would have seen a period of stagnation or slightly easing prices during that time?
    I have seen the booms and bust, highs and lows (call them what you will), I have seen the abolition of negative gearing where rents went through the ceiling, forced sales, mortgagee auctions etc etc etc.

On the other hand, are you saying that you believe the market is now cooler/quieter than at any time in the last 10 years? [blink]
    It is flat yes, and prices have dropped, but has it bust IMO….NO!!! Prices are significantly more realistic than in the past heated market however the adjustment is expected and most experienced investors will not only recognise this shift but make the most of it.

Have you known others who have pulled the pin while you stuck to your plan?
    Too many to count.

Ever been tempted to cut & run?
    They didn’t just cut, they tore down the gates and each other in their haste!!!

Where did you find the strength to remain committed?
    It comes with a passion for property; I had the best teachers anyone could ask for, and they were steadfast in their views, which may have been simplistic to many, but I don’t care, I achieved my financial freedom and then some!!!

How long do you think the average investor will hold on in a flat market?
    2 minutes!!! An experienced one; all the way through to the next boom!!!

My own property investing experience is insignificant compared to yours (I pulled out when I thought the market had topped out in 03), so I value the insight you can offer.
    Big mistake!!!

Although, on second thought, it does also depend on your financial commitment at the time.

I believe in buying low, selling high, and wherever possible HOLD AS LONG AS YOU CAN, HOWEVER….and this is really important, you must be able to do this COMFORTABLY otherwise, holding on will only land you in greater financial ruin.

Property investing is about strategy, planning, balance,common sense and a heck of alot of patience….NO GREAT MYSTERY. It is that simple!!!

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Pelican.

Well Done. That is a truely amazing result and something that you should be very proud of. Great point about entry and exit to the market. Definitely not crapola as you put it.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

I have been investing in property for over 30 years so I have bought in both the ups and downs.

I have summarised the ups and downs of the property market over the last 20 odd years in the lead article of the current issue of our property e-zine.

For those that don’t subsccribe you can get this issue free at http://www.metropole.com.au and click on subscribe

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Hi Monopoly

Great post as always.

Just wondered if you look anything like your avatar???

Cheers Shawn

@monopoly

Hardly!!! [glum2] (I wish) What is it she says “I’m not really bad, I’m just drawn that way” [tongue]

You can check out my mug and that of some other notorious types on here by going to the members pic page: http://www.gurustation.com/pi/ How come you’re not on the mug file Pursefattener??? You’re been a member as long as I have (actually I only just beat you by one day).[biggrin]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Hey Monopoly

Just checked out the link you posted and you are right, I should post a mug shot!

Actually, I had not looked at that link before. And , by the way, a very nice photo of yourself you have posted there.[biggrin]

Bye for now

shawn

@monopoly

Thanks Shawn (you’re too kind) [blush2]

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your mug up there with the rest of us “lovelies” soon then hey??? [winking]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of peejay121764peejay121764
    Participant
    @peejay121764

Of course you can…of course you can but as the song says.. Take the road less travelled, take the long way round…..New investors sometimes think of the flattening in months rather than years and tend to be a little impatient. Do you know the story of the young bull who said to the old one “lets race down there and jump a cow ! Replied the old bull “no son, lets amble down there and do the whole herd” If you watch business sunday on nine this sunday.. i think they will have a special on property and in the promos, an adviser said he thought that property may go sideways for about 6 years…For what its worth and with a fair number of properties in my portfolio, i tend to agree with him. The property market together with the sharemarket, but more importantly consumer debt is pretty much at a historical high and as such one should be cautious about going into shares or property. Thats not to say that a specific stock or property will not present itself as a special opportunity, just that generally you should exercise caution. Don’t forget that in most places for the 10 years from 1990 to about 2000, you caould buy property for about half the amount you would have to pay now. Dont forget that was for about 10 years ! with only a relatively small capital gain, compared to the 4 years since. Be like the old bull and take your time, which may be measured in years rather than months.

Profile photo of Yasna SimonYasna Simon
    @yasna-simon

Hi all, what a great topic and fantastic to be around such positive contributors.

For what it’s worth – I believe it is a good time to be buying, so long as you can find a property which will help you achieve your end goals.

With interest rates set to rise, it is unfortunate to know that due to cashing in on their equity, quite a few people will begin to hurt and with further rate rises, I feel there will be some desperate vendors wanting to get out of their problems. IMO it will be then that there could be some good deals coming our way. [dead2]

Yasna & Simon

Profile photo of kerwynkerwyn
    @kerwyn

Hi All
    Although I am about 1 second old compared to the years of experience Monopoly has in the property investing sphere I am considerably older in age, (by the way nice photo Monopoly). I have been in business nearly all my life and have seen the good and the bad. I have been the top roaster one day and a feather duster the next.
    One thing I have learned is it is better to be proactive than reactive to any situation and I think property is no different. Interest rates are going to go up and that is a huge mistake by the reserve bank. I can tell you things are not good out in the business world, people are not spending. I have friends who normally make a big slice of their income in Dec, Jan who are down 80% on normal; a rise in rates will spell disaster for a lot of people.
    Yet on the positive side the property boom was driven by a lot of so called mum and dad investors who were told to buy property as a hinge against old age and the fact that there is not going to be a pension available to them in 15 to 30 years time. Most of these people are heavily negative geared and it will not take much before there is a stampede out of the market by reactive people. This is good for the serious investor who will be able to finally get a few bargains.
    I unfortunately missed the housing boom as I was playing the part of a feather duster at the start and couldn’t participate: but I intend to make up for that in the down turn. Sure there may not be a lot of capital gain around for awhile, but there are plenty of other strategies that can be used to make money in property, you just have to be a bit creative.

When I was a child I lived in Sydney around the Hurstville area. I remember a kindly old lady who was our landlord at the time who use to give me 2 shillings every time she came to pick up the rent. I later found out when I was older that she was a very wealth lady and not only owned the house I lived in but she owned streets of houses and shops all around Hurstville. She bought these when she was young in the great depression by going around collecting rags and selling them to people who made cotton waste. She then bought houses that people just could not afford to keep at bargain prices.

She is the ultimate example of being proactive when times get tough and although we are far away from a depression her example is still relevant today. It proves that a lot of money can be made when other people are reacting to things instead of being proactive.
    I hope this helps anyone out there who is feeling a bit anxious at the thought of rising interest rates.
    Kerwyn.

@monopoly

Hey Kerwyn,

I know what 2 shillings is (about 20c if memory serves correct) so you’re not that much older than me [blush2] but thanks for the kind words anyway.[biggrin]

Sure there may not be a lot of capital gain around for awhile, but there are plenty of other strategies that can be used to make money in property, you just have to be a bit creative.

Well said Kerwyn!!! [thumbsupanim] Herein lies the key for future prospects that all too often people overlook.

I do believe you have the right attitude to make a success of it Kerwyn; so who cares it you started a bit later than people such as myself, at least you started. Good for you!!![thumbsupanim]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of Brad1mBrad1m
    Participant
    @brad1m

Im thinking last minute rush to get in before interest rate rise ?

Cheers
    Brad

http://www.agentfreeproperty.com.au

@monopoly
    Originally posted by Brad1m:

Im thinking last minute rush to get in before interest rate rise ?

How so Brad??? [blink]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.