All Topics / General Property / Creative use of “subject to” clauses

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of persistencepersistence
    @persistence

I’ve found my first property and am really bumbling along with this… is terrifying but exhilerating at the same time!

I’m interested by the various use of “subject to” clauses. What are some of the creative ways that people have used them?

Has anyone used a “subject to due diligence” clause before? The house I have found needs a fair bit of work (could be extensive termite damage) and I need to price the renovations and repairs before I commit to anything. What kind of clause would suit this situation?

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

I’d probalby put “subject to you being happy with a building inspection report”. Once you have received that, if there is too much to be done then you are not happy and can opt out or renegotiate.

Good Luck
    PK

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Don’t get too creative. Some of these subject to clauses can become too vague and hence are meaningless. it would be hard to get a vendor to accept something vague.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Terry, what about the old “subject to partners approval” that Robert Kiyosaki and others have mentioned in other publications? Does this actually work and would vendors agree to it?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Robert Kiyosaki is American, he likes to exaggerate things a bit! I suppose it could work tho.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

“Subject to finance”, “subject to valuation” and “subject to satisfactory pest and building inspection” are common clauses.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

M: 0414 347 771
    E: [email protected]
    W: http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.

© 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

I recently heard something along the lines of “subject to approval by purchasor’s solicitor” which I quite liked the sound of. It doesn’t sound too long winded or list lots of conditions that may make the vendor baulk but it gives VERY broad protection.

Regards
    Sonja

Profile photo of Ricksters12Ricksters12
    @ricksters12

Hi Persistence,

I bought IP last april and I put “Subject to Building and Pest inspection”. After I got the report from the Building and Pest Inspection there were a couple of things needs doing. I forward the report to my solicitor. The vendor then fixed the problem before settlement. Everyones happy and I bought the property

Regards

Rickters

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I like to make offers with “subject to acceptance by a certain date” or contract with “subject to settlement on a set date”. I use these to speed up the process or reduce the offer if the time passes. They are great to use with new cars as they are always late to be delivered.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

M: 0414 347 771
    E: [email protected]
    W: http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter: See – http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au/index_files/newsletter.htm

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.

© 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop
    Originally posted by Sonja:

I recently heard something along the lines of “subject to approval by purchasor’s solicitor” which I quite liked the sound of. It doesn’t sound too long winded or list lots of conditions that may make the vendor baulk but it gives VERY broad protection.

Regards
    Sonja

I saw this the other day… good luck if you can get anyone to accept it, and who knows they might. You may as well just write “subject to me changing my mind at any given moment”

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Subject to Due Diligence??? [eh]

How and what do YOU define as “due diligence”??? This varies from one person to the next, and even so how can it be proven that you have done it satisfactorily and to what degree. Frankly I think you will get the same response as that which I had when I first read suggestion of such an inclusion….[blink]

Jo

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

In my experience,

you would probably get a “purchase subject to major structural defects” expiry within 14 days from offer.

I have found you have to be really lucky/smooth to get a “subject to purchasers satisfaction of building inspection report”

Very Big difference!!!!!!!!!!

It is also very unusual (smooth), to get vendor to make repairs prior to settlement unless you paid too much to start with.

I would suggest that you very clearly state the possible problems you may have that would prevent you purchasing property.

Ie; if you were borrowing 100% of the sale price, you could state that the deposit would be by means of a deposit bond only within 21 days and subject to 100% finance being available at settlement.(this is a very cheeky offer)

cheers

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by AusProp:

Regards
    Sonja

I saw this the other day… good luck if you can get anyone to accept it, and who knows they might. You may as well just write “subject to me changing my mind at any given moment”

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

We buy 2 – 3 properties for clients each week and use the “subject to solicitor’s approval” clause every time.

It is very broad and is always accepted.

Smart selling agents see the power of this clause and sometimes put a time limit on it such as “within 7 days”

Michael Yardney
    Metropole Properties
    http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Hi Michael,

Perhaps I heard it from you at the Reno Kings seminar in November? It’s not something I’ve personally used and I suspect that with your reputation as a frequent buyer you may have more luck getting it accepted than I would. It’s definitly worth being aware of though.

Cheers
    Sonja

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Just to emphasise some of the points made so far…

When it comes to including ‘subject to’ clauses the art is to use words that allow you to exit the contract (if you so decide), but at the same time do not seem so vague as to make your offer seem ridiculous.

I’d suggest purchasers be very careful with the phrases used, especially loose wording that can trip you up.

For example, once Dave and I included words “subject to the completion of a satisfactory building inspection.” When this came back not to our liking we sought to exit the contract, but the vendor’s solicitor demanded a copy of the condition report and made out like we could not exit if the condition report met what a reasonable person might think as normal wear and tear.

Whatever the merit of the argument, from then on we changed ther terminology to be:

“Subject to a building inspection within XX days, the outcome of which must be to the sole satisfaction of the purchaser.”

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Note: If you want more information on the way I structure my offers then Buyer Beware is a resource you might like to acquire.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

Hi Michael,

Perhaps I heard it from you at the Reno Kings seminar in November? It’s not something I’ve personally used and I suspect that with your reputation as a frequent buyer you may have more luck getting it accepted than I would. It’s definitly worth being aware of though.

Cheers
    Sonja

Hi Sonja

Youa er probably correct – I did mention it in my presentation.

BUt if I can use the cluase so can you.

Go for it, most agents don’t understand the power of that clause.

Michael Yardney
    Metropole Properties
    http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of voigtstrvoigtstr
    @voigtstr

Ive got both of Steve’s books, Whats the exact wording of the sunset clause to use on a contract? I cant find it in the books?

More stuff on the voigtstr at http://users.bigpond.net.au/voigtstr

Profile photo of jimmy007jimmy007
    @jimmy007

If you are trying to buy yourself some time to do some further due dilligence than I would suggest that you put subject to finance being obtained within 2-3 weeks ( obviously the later the better) from the expiation off the cooling off period. This should allow you adequate time to do what you need to do. Towards the end of the 2-3 weeks if you think that the deal may not be as good as you first thought than all you need would be a cover letter from any finance broker that you were unable to obtain finance. This will cancel the contract and will prompt the agent to refund your deposit so he can re sell the property. Another subject to clause I have seen work to purchasers favour is subject to aproval by the purchasers financial advisor. The remains very open ended and a hand written note from any financial advisor will cancel the contract. [grad]

Profile photo of DinahDinah
    @dinah

Hi There

Just to take jimmy007’s suggested clause one step further if you ever use it…..

“subject to finance acceptable to the purchaser”…..the reason being that a few years ago I put the more vague form of the clause in a contract and to my horror the vendor and the RE agent started bombarding me with finance leads in an attempt to obtain finance for me.

What this could have meant was that I could have ended up with finance but not on acceptable terms for ME!

My solicitor very kindly advised me to be more specific and in MY favour – the more general the clause, the more the vendor and vendor’s solicitor can put pressure on in their direction.

Just thought I’d pass that on and I wish you all the best!

Cheers
    Dinah

Profile photo of aussieinvestoraussieinvestor
    Participant
    @aussieinvestor

I think that getting too creative with ‘subject to’ clauses can run the risk of the agent and vendor not taking you or your offer seriously and making you look as though you have no real commitment to buying. If you are building a relationship with an agent, this can be a relationship killer and good agents are hard to find. I believe that there is a difference between ‘creative’ clauses and ‘water tight’ clauses.

What kind of things will make you pull out of the deal?

I guess no finance approval and a clause that I use is “at the purchasers financial institution/s of choice by XX date’.

Building condition – ‘subject to a builders report to the purchaser’s satisfaction’.

Code violations – ‘subject to no council code violations’.

I think that these are quite common and legitimate clauses and give you outs and protection as needed. If you are only wanting to sign and then pull out because you can, then why sign in the first place? You would have hopefully conducted some research before signing on the dotted line.

Also, and please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong as I haven’t bought, sold or made an offer on a house in Victoria for some time, but isn’t there a law that states if you take a contract to a solicitor prior to the end of the cooling off period, then it voids the cooling off period. Once again, I may be wrong but this may have some affect on the ‘subject to solicitor’s satisfaction’ clause. I guess you can always put on an expiry date and not take the contract to the solicitor until after the cooling off period.

All the best…aussie

(formerly giraffe…New Year, New Nick, New Opportunities)

“Real Estate – The Foundations of Wealth”

aussieinvestor | Digital Revenue Pty Ltd
    http://appliancewhiz.com
    Email Me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.