All Topics / Help Needed! / Property values drop by X%… So what?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of NobleoneNobleone
    @nobleone

Hi All,

This maybe another one of those dumb questions… But following certain posts recently I have noticed much talk of possible drops in property values.

My question is this, using one of my NZ IP’s as an example.

I bought my IP with a long term hold strategy for NZ$42,000 and have been getting NZ$120pw rent from day one (14.8%grosss return)… Now say there’s a 15% across the board decrease in property values I can’t see how this would worry or affect me as the current ‘percieved market value’ of my property does not affect my returns… Am I correct in this thinking or am I missing something?[blink]

Cheers, Nobleone [cowboy2]

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Correct in that it doesn’t affect your Rental Yield.

HOwever, does affect you if you wish to sell or if you wish to use the property as security.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

as long as you have a tenant, it won’t really matter. in the long run things should improve, even if there is a dip. But this will effect equity, and will slow down your next purchases.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Because you have positive cashflow, it won’t make that much of a difference, however if you were negatively gearing it wouldn’t be good (as you are pretty much reliant on Capital Gains to make money).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

You mentioned that this is a “long term strategy” if this is the case I would not be too concerned.

I have found that a mix of (+ve) IPs and IPs with potential for CG enabling you to tap into the equity works well.
    Cheers, Marisa[biggrin]

Profile photo of clintdbclintdb
    Participant
    @clintdb

The only concern would be if the reduction in property values is followed by a reduction in rents or a difficulty in finding a tenant (maybe no one wants to live in that area any more, hence the decrease in property value).

In this situation your position would obviously be affected (but not until your current lease expires), otherwise, as the others have said, a decrease in property values is a book reduction only and will only have an affect if/when you want to sell.

Clint

Profile photo of NobleoneNobleone
    @nobleone

Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback… Now I’m happy that I’m looking at things correctly.

Cheers, Nobleone [biggrin]

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin
    Originally posted by Nobleone:
    Hi All, Thanks for your feedback… Now I’m happy that I’m looking at things correctly. Cheers, Nobleone [biggrin]

Nobleone

Don’t put this discussion to bed just yet. To me, the pivotal point is a spread of +ve cashflow (to help you survive and pass the bank’s servicibility test or DSR: Debt Servicing Ratio) with high growth but -ve CF (to keep giving you what Peter Spann calls “The Endless Deposit” for your future property purchases).

I guess it depends on:
    1. How fast you want your portfolio to grow and
    2. How big you want your portfolio to get.

There’s a lot more study needed on this question, Oh Noble One.[biggrin][buz2][cap]

Cheers
    Greg

@nobleone

HI Greg,

I wasn’t really signing off on the thread, just saying thank you to those who have replied so far.

I am fairly new to owning IP’s, 5 months all up, so far I have 3 +CF in North Island NZ lowest return I have is 12.3% gross.

I bought all three in different locations on 20% deposits. I wanted +CF so I could show the banks servicability.

Currently I am doing all the little odd jobs to make them sparkle like new… Once I am over the 6-month mark I will get them revalued and then use any CG as a deposit for another IP that will be either neutral or slightly -CF but in a high CG area.

That’s the plan for my next move anyway… What’s your opinion?

Cheers, Nobleone [biggrin]

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

All of the above plus:

Say you borrow money from the bank to buy your property. Say you borrow a lot of money. Say you borrowed 95%
    And there is a drop in prices of 15%.

Your property is now worth 85% of the original value paid, yet you owe the bank 95%.

If you think that is not a problem, think again.

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

@nobleone

Hi Marc,

But as I said I have my IP’s at 80% and I plan not to buy anything unless I can put down my 20% deposit.

My plan is to be cautious and not over extend.

Nobleone[oneeyed]

Keymaster
    @piadmin
    HI Greg, I am fairly new to owning IP’s, 5 months all up, so far I have 3 +CF in North Island NZ lowest return I have is 12.3% gross.
    I bought all three in different locations on 20% deposits. I wanted +CF so I could show the banks servicability. That’s the plan for my next move anyway… What’s your opinion? Cheers, Nobleone [biggrin]

Hi Nobleone

Brilliantly done!!! 3 +CF properties in 5 months!! Excellent!! Now the hard work really begins. As long as you can keep the “Endless 20% deposits” coming, your portfolio will be rocket powered!

Have a look at Michael Whyte’s recent posts for an example of a newbie who’s clearly got his head screwed on. Why do I say that, when I’ve never met the guy?
    1. Because of the quality of his posts, but more importantly…
    2. …Because he’s taken the trouble to write down his goals.
    All the guru’s recommend it; so few actually do it. Go figure [biggrin]

You’re obviously well read in IP literature, but how extensively have you networked with the real achievers? Been to any seminars? Put your money on the table to buy the classy kits which paint the more complete picture for you?

Here’s what I wrote to Michael, on a different issue, but I feel it’s relevant to you as well because you’re heading confidently down a solidly travelled path. And, like Michael, all you need is a bit of “fine tuning” to make yourself into a real property tycoon:
    “Hi Michael, Great post, and congrats on your determination. For my money, I can’t for the life of me see why you’re prepared to wait so long when this magnificent country of ours doesn’t have one single property market, but rather a plethora of mini-markets, many of them at vastly different stages of their OWN, PERSONALISED PROPERTY CYCLES.

You’re clearly very professional and methodical in the way you go about things; all you need is a bit of “fine tuning” to make yourself into a real property tycoon. To this end, I’d urge you to set aside $5,000 – $10,000 for your personal professional development, and get yourself off to a few highly-regarded seminars / “boot camps”. I hate the term myself, but they REALLY DO WORK, and the networking contacts they bring into your life are awesome.

But back to your questions. I’m particularly interested in:
    1. Your comments about TIMING
    2. Your access to statistical information
    3. Your breadth of PI reading

Have you read Peter Spann’s “$10 Million Property Portfolio in just 10 Years?” (published 2004) or ever gone to one of his seminars? If “yes”, I’m thinking about Spann’s brilliant tips on how to PRACTICALLY APPLY Median Price Data to time your entry into the markets at the most advantageous point of a particular suburb’s cycle (Ch.13, pp56-66).

I was so impressed with this chapter, I even invented a “212” mnemonic to help me remember and apply it:

2 years + 1 year + 2 years = 5 year cycle

2 = 1st 2 years of cycle: RELATIVELY FLAT GROWTH
    1 = 3year of cycle: STARTS MOVING UP
    2 = 4th and 5th years: MAJOR GROWTH SPURT
    ACTION/MORAL: Buy at the end of the 2nd year or early on in the 3rd year of the cycle

Spann’s talking city suburban cycles here; I doubt it works so clearly in regional/rural towns, which are so sensitive to regional employment factors etc. Spann gives an example of suburbs which have risen ON AVERAGE 8% over a decade:

“You’ll see that property growth comes in spurts…. many suburbs follow this pattern: two years flat, one year up, two years jump, followed by a repeat – two years flat, one year up, two years jump. Let’s look at this suburb’s growth and plot it. The first year is coming off a flat period. Very frequently a big growth spurt will follow a flat period like this. Then the growth rate kicks up tp 7% in year 2. This is our warning of the growth spurt to follow. If we had bought then we would have picked up the natural growth of the next couple of years. Year 3 the growth is 16% and year 4 the growth is 20%. If we had bought a $100,000 property at the end of the SECOND year in the cycle, it would be worth $139,000 at the end of year 4, or a growth of just over 39% in 2 years. And this is all pure profit to us. The growth rate then stagnates for a couple of years – no problem, we just sit and wait – and then it moves up to 8% for year 8. This is our warning of the next big jump, and we see 14% and 21% over the next 2 years. That would mean our $100,000 property would now be worth $233,000. Pretty exciting! While you don’t have to be this precise in timing property to make money over the long term, it will shorten the time it takes for your property to double in value and it saves you buying before the stagnant years.”

Please forgive me if I come across as if I’m trying to teach you to suck eggs.”

My point, Nobleone, is to keep reading, refining your knowledge, adding to your bank of due diligence research websites, read Spann, Otton, McKnight, Somers, (her books as well as her brilliant forum at http://www.somersoft.com.au), Burley, and the countless, bullet-proofed professionals you’ll meet on these forum boards. Keep in touch, and when you’ve made it, or while you are well on your way to making it, give back, okay?

Cheers
    Greg

@nobleone

Hi Greg,

Just a bit of background on where I’m coming from.

Before I purchased anything I released equity in my PPOR through a LOC.

I then found an accountant who’s also a property investor himself, and through him I set up a $2 Pty Ltd and a trust.

Then I spent 8 months reading every book I could get my hands on, reading the archives on this forum, also Somersoft and Property Talk NZ and I also joined a mentoring group called Modern Millionaire (Brisbane based).

I can’t count the amount of hours I have spent looking at properties on the Internet, I’m fortunate that I work from home and when I’m not busy I can surf to my hearts content.

My goal is to retire from my day job by replacing my salary with income from IP’s within 5-years.

I like your “212” mnemonic, it’s very apt given that I beleive the market is now at the begining of the first 2 years stage.

I don’t plan to inject any more of my cash into NZ because I want them to begin producing “Endless 20% deposits” in their own right.

I will however use some more of my own cash to get a foothold into the QLD market but I dont anticipate buying anything for at least another 18-months (Unless I come across the deal of the centuary)

Currently I am reading McKnights 2nd book and of course continuing to log many more hours on the three forums and real estate web sites.

Once you get started buying IP’s it’s such a rush, and sometimes I have to remind myself that the current course of action must be water tight before I can move on to something else. As they say “patience is a virtue”.

As you recomended I certainly do have every intention of adding my 2cents whenever and wherever I can to help people on the forums with their investment questions.

Thank you for your advice, it’s veru encouraging.

Cheers, Nobleone.

Keymaster
    @piadmin
    …Then I spent 8 months reading every book I could get my hands on, reading the archives on this forum, also Somersoft and Property Talk NZ and I also joined a mentoring group called Modern Millionaire (Brisbane based). My goal is to retire from my day job by replacing my salary with income from IP’s within 5-years. I will however use some more of my own cash to get a foothold into the QLD market but I don’t anticipate buying anything for at least another 18-months (Unless I come across the deal of the century)…. Thank you for your advice, it’s veru encouraging. Cheers, Nobleone.

Hi again Nobleone

Brilliantly done re your $2 company, trust, LOC, “go-get’em” attitude, research, involvement in mentoring group etc etc.

And again, please accept my apologies if anything I said above came across as trying to teach you to suck eggs.

There are a couple of mini-refinements I’d suggest re your intention to not buy anything for 18 months: “I like your “212” mnemonic, it’s very apt given that I believe the market is now at the beginning of the first 2 years stage”:
    1. My summary of Peter Spann’s 212 strategy is very, very rough. Have you read Spann? Great stuff!! I’ve re-read his chapter on practically applying median price data many times to get the fuller picture.
    2. I’m not one of those who intends to sit on my hands and not buy any properties for the next 18 months. Why? Because there are both
    a) mini-markets and
    b) mini/major market segments
    which are still performing attractively. And if, like me, your 5 year plan involves giving up your job courtesy of IP incomes, 18 months out of a 5 year plan is a big chunk of precious, precious time.

One key secret I’ve picked up is that certain strategies are virtually guaranteed to make you a profit irrespective of the state of the market, or what stage of the market we’re at. And to optimise that realisation, another discipline I’m trying to adopt (and I keep “falling off the wagon” lots of times)is to refine my language whenever I’m tempted to talk about “the market” and replace it with phrases like “plethora of mini-markets”. Fussy, but important.

So my tip is to tweak your strategies, or move across into a different market segment, rather than sit quietly for the next 18 months.

Cheers
    Greg

@nobleone

Hi Greg,

No apologies needed… I might have made a good start into IP’s but I still need people like yourself to give me reasons to think laterally and out of the box. I’m still learning how to suck eggs. [withstupid]

You’re very right about 18-months being a BIG chunk out of my 5-year plan. To clarify, I will still be moving fwd in NZ with more purchases, just not injecting any more ‘cash’ into NZ.

I was referring more to my firt steps, using my ‘cash’ into the QLD market when I mentioned 18-months.

I have not yet read any Peter Spann, But when I picked up McKnight from the library I did put an order in for Spanns book, $10 Million Property Portfolio in just 10 Years. It should arrive just as I finish reading McKnight.[biggrin]

Would you like to share where you discovered this info and what the strategies are?[whistle]

“One key secret I’ve picked up is that certain strategies are virtually guaranteed to make you a profit irrespective of the state of the market, or what stage of the market we’re at.”

Anyway please keep posting your thoughts I really do appreciate what you’re sharing.

It’s a perfect day here on QLD’s Sunshine Coast so I think I’ll move away from the computer and after breakfast head off to the beach… That’s what Sundays are for.
    [specool]

Cheers, Nobleone.

Keymaster
    @piadmin
    Hi Greg … I might have made a good start into IP’s but I still need people like yourself to give me reasons to think laterally and out of the box…. Would you like to share where you discovered this info and what the strategies are?[whistle] :”One key secret I’ve picked up is that certain strategies are virtually guaranteed to make you a profit irrespective of the state of the market, or what stage of the market we’re at.”….It’s a perfect day here on QLD’s Sunshine Coast so I think I’ll move away from the computer and after breakfast head off to the beach… That’s what Sundays are for.[specool] Cheers, Nobleone

Hi Nobleone

You’re from Qld’s Sunshine Coast? Me too!! I’m from what is euphemistically called “Hinterland Sunshine Coast” [biggrin][bonjour][cap] and have some nice IPs in Mountain Creek, Mapleton, and Gympie.

Given that a large part of this journey is about networking, how about you pop over for afternoon tea sometime soon and “chew the cud” re RE strategies /opportunities?

Re “secrets”, you’ve already substantially answered your own question with what you said about thinking laterally and outside the box:
    “I might have made a good start into IP’s but I still need people like yourself to give me reasons to think laterally and out of the box.”

Perhaps “secrets” is too strong a word, given that this forum is frequented by wrappers, flippers, lease-optioners, developers etc etc etc (from extremely experienced to relative newbies).

I’m a longtime fan of the subtle use of words to get across “hidden” and “not so hidden” truths:
    “Success comes from doing things differently”

My tip is to REALLY chew on that one, because there’s a lot more wisdom and experience in there than meets the eyes of most people.

Looking forward to meeting up with you.

Cheers
    Greg
    PS: How was the beach? My wife Niki and I were out dancing and partying last night, so we’ve had a lovely “veg-out” day in front of the tele watching the Australian Open Golf.

@nobleone

HI Greg,

I live in the same ‘euphemistic’ area… Beerwah to be precise. [suave3]

Would love to catch up and ‘chew the cud’.

I’ll PM you my contact details.

Cheers, Nobleone

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

Doh!

Now I wish I was on the Sunshine Coast too!!

Just reading this thread has given me a new injection of enthusiasm (and a little blush, Greg you are far too kind). [blush2]

What I have realised is that I’ve fallen a little behind in my readings. Off to the bookstore for me to pick up $10 Mill in 10 years for a start (Thanks Greg!). I was already also considering Steve’s books and Jan Somers too. Time to get specific!

I just have to say, to all of the successful and energetic REIs out there, thank you so much for your time and contributions on this forum. It certainly doesn’t go unnoticed by us NooBs.

Nobleone, care to share your NZ market secrets with an enthusiastic noobie? I’d love to invest in the land of the long white cload if I could yield positive cash flow. I’ve already got $50K in my mortgage offset account which I could draw down for a 20% deposit.

Regards and many thanks,
    Michael.

@nobleone

Hi Michael,

No real secrets to share regarding NZ… I got a lot of info from this NZ forum http://www.propertytalk.co.nz/index.php

I also got myself on the mailing list of a couple of NZ birdoggers… Their contact details are Alvin from PINZ [email protected]… And Barbara from NZ Bid Dogs [email protected]

Of the three NZ IP’s I own, I bought the one in Wairoa thru Alvin the other two I sourced myself.

As everyone’s investment criteria is different I can only tell you why I did what I did.

My first IP was a duplex in Hawera which I bought simply because the numbers added up. Even if one side of the duplex was vacant the other side would still cover my outgoings. It’s fully tenanted at 12.5% gross. As a free bonus a large gas field off the coast of Hawera is just about to be opened up.

My second IP was bought on a gut feeling strangely enough, I know a lot of people will call me crazy for doing that, but it was a very strong feeling. [blink]

It is a 3-bed brick house in Waverley and had been owner occupied for 10-years so it was in mint condition, absolutely nothing to do. It returns 12.3% gross. Waverley is about 30-mins from Hawera, North Island.

My third is in Wairoa, this was bought primarily for the return, 14.8% gross, secondly because nothing needed doing and I could add a carport or garage if I wanted to raise the value and rent in the near future. There is also talk that natural gas reserves in the area could be utilised sometime within the next 5 to 10-years. If it doesn’t happen I’m still happy with the return I’m getting.

As you can see all three are giving me good returns, which was what I needed to start with, so that I could show serviceability to the lenders for further purchases.

I anticipate that CG from these three IP’s will give me the 20% deposit for my next IP and allow my next purchase to be a neutral or slightly negative, but one that has more potential for CG… In doing this I hope to have my NZ IP’s now producing “Endless 20% deposits” in their own right.

I still have cash reserves, which I now want to get working for me in the QLD market.

That’s the plan so far… Hope some of this helps.

Cheers, Nobleone. [biggrin]

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.