All Topics / Creative Investing / Wrapper defaulting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of InfiniteInfinite
    @infinite

Hi I’m wondering what would happen if the wrapper was to default on the loan to the bank. Where does that leave the wrappee client?

Also does the clients wrap payments count as towards establishing a savings records?

regards
    Infinite

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

The wrappee could possibly lose everything if the bank forecloses on the wrapper.

The wrap payments could be used as evidence of a savings record with some banks.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

And that is why, as, an ethical wrapper, you would encourage your wrappee to place a caveat against the property….. to protect their interests…….

You may know the cost of everything…. but what about the value ????

Participant
    @terryw

Pelican

I don’t mean to be picky, but a caveat would not help in the event of foreclosure. It would protect the wrappee by not allowing the property to be subsequently mortgaged, but a bank holding a first mortgage would get first shot at selling the property. the wrappee would get the left overs, if any.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@pelican

Terry,

Yes, but how is the bank going to sell the property when there is a caveat lodged at the land registry ??? they would not be able to transfer name on title…..

A situation like the scenario mentioned above is the reason why, if you decide to buy a wrap property, you do your homework on the wrapper you deal with, and, how they operate…..

– Are they licenced ?
    – Do they follow a standard of ethics ?
    – Are they open & disclosing their operations ??

HOMEWORK – is the key…..

Participant
    @terryw

Pelican

I agree that homework is the key, it may also be an idea for the wrappee to get copies of the wrappers loan statements to make sure they are paying off their loan too.

But I think someone with a first mortgage would be able to take back the property regardless of any caveat. But I am not a solicitor and have never seen or heard of a wrapper defaulting on a loan – which I think would be rare.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Profile photo of AjaxAjax
    Participant
    @ajax
    Originally posted by Pelicaninvestments:

Terry,

Yes, but how is the bank going to sell the property when there is a caveat lodged at the land registry ??? they would not be able to transfer name on title

My understandingn is the the bank can lodge a lapsing notice which gives the caveat holder a limited time to apply to the Equity Division of the Supreme Court for an interim injunction and declarations as to the caveat holders interest in the land, failing which the caveat lapses. Unless the caveat holder can prove at a hearing that he/she has an equitable interest in the property the court will not grant a final injunction and the transfer will be able to registered at the R-G’s office.

Caveats are only what they mean literally..a “warning” that the caveat holder has an interest in the land..the caveat holder will need to prove this if issued a lapsing notice (caveat from Latin meaning “beware”..i.e. cave canem..”beware the dog”). Caveats should not be considered as giving the type of protection that a mortgage would give.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

If I was a wrappee, I would want proof that a wrapper was paying off the mortgage. We get upset if tenants don’t pay rent with vanilla buy and holds; and wrappers get upset if wrappees default- but who watches the wrapper? There need to be a Wrapper Manager- like a PM, but a WM :))

It’s a risk to hope that another person will pay offyour mortgage- takes a lot of trust. Terry- not sure why a wrapper would be different to anyone else paying off a mortgage- any person can lose their job; have a relationship breakup with a property split; lose their money in poor investment decisions etc. Wrappers aren’t immune from financial problems- and some are very small operators, who are borrowing money to buy into the wrap deal in the first place.

If safeguards are being spoken of, it would probably be good for the wrapper to have to disclose financial details of bank mortgage payments to the wrappee periodically, so the latter can see the former is living up to their end of the contract.

kay henry

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

What a load of dribble…

If wrapper equates to landlord, and wrapee to tenant, then its the same as saying that a tenant should ask their landlord for proof of payment of the mortgage to ensure that the tenant is protected from being evicted if the landlord defualts, for whatever reason.

Tenant: “As proof of ownership and proof of payment, can you supply me with a copy of the title deed and monthly loan statements before I sign the lease???”

Landlord: “Yeah sure, anything else I can do for you….??”

Yeah Right !!!!!!!!!!!

A wrap is inherently positive cashflow, even if offered at the same interest rate as the underlying loan or at an interestbelow the underlying loan, so there is less likelyhood of a wrap owner going bust than there is of a negative geared, negative cashflow landlord.

If both lost their jobs, see who struggles first….
    The other point is that many wrappers do this full time ( ie…they have given up their JOB) because they can.

Try doing that with a negative geared property portfolio.
    It can be done but you will have to rely on tapping your expected rising equity. Would have to take nerves of steel and a very generous lender.

Most vendor financers are investing to grow a property portfolio..
    Why on earth would they default either intentionally, or unintentionally and lose their investment ??

Pelican hit the nail on the head.
    What is required is ethical practices and full disclosure.
    In other words it need to be regulated by a recognised body.

Vendor financing has been around as long as colony Australia has….its not new, just not so widely used.

It can work equally well for an investor to be the wrapee…allows him to aquire more properety without going to the bank and begging for a loan.

Its also not restricted to lower socio economic groups.
    There are yuppies out there with voracious spending habits on multi six figure incomes who are unable ( or unwilling ) to save a deposit.
    Prime wrap candidates…for exxy property to boot.

Used properly, correctly, ethically, vendor financing, lease options and other such instruments are excellent vehicles for furthering a property investment portfolio, especially if used in conjunction with “buy and holds” for capital growth…

KP

@kay-henry

I agree kp, that there are wealthier people who do not manage finances- and some of these might be wrappers. The suggestion that wrappers are wealthy… well, I’ve seen different. I’ve seen wrappers borrowing from other investors to get into the deal. Some wrappers do have a job and get extra income and some don’t. Just because a person does not work, does not make them wealthier.

The question of the author has been answered here- wrappees have no protection- caveat (warning) or not, because the wrapper is the first mortgage holder. A wrapper is a landlord, yes, but wrappers say that they are providing wrappees with their own home- which is a misnomer, because wrappees are tenants until the last payment is made.

As a tenant myself, I am under no illusion that I am buying this place I live in. As such, it is not in my interest to know if the owner is paying off his mortgage. But as a wrappee is under the illusion they have some real stake in the property, then they need to know if the wrapper is meeting his or her commitments. I know my PM is paying my mortgage into my account- I get monthly statements that it is occurring. If it didn’t occur, my PM would be legally liable for the payments- not me- the PM. Monthly statements to wrappees showing their mortgage is on track would easily be possible, as per Terry’s suggestion:

“it may also be an idea for the wrappee to get copies of the wrappers loan statements to make sure they are paying off their loan too.”

Your statement of “what a load of dribble” could easily have been phrased, “I disagree.” Your perspective is different than mine, but the suggestion that wrappers are financially advantaged and therefore unaccountable… well, I get statements from the PM and my bank, that my mortgage is being paid- it seems reasonable, to me, that the wrappee might get the same service.

kay henry

@pelican

KP – Nice one [biggrin]

This post I’m sure was started with the best of intentions, but fails to consider many many things…..

OK, if we are going to talk about a wrapper defaulting…… what about the wrappee defaulting ??? If it was just a bank loan, how soon would they be kicked out ??? hmmmmm ???

The wrapper takes a LARGER risk on a wrappee, as, the banks, in general would not touch them……

In Most cases ( I’m generalising here….. ) The wrappee’s payments are easily covering the underlying loan…. so, even IF the wrapper “lost his job” the payments on the house are still secure, that is, unless the wrappee decided to stop making payments……

There are millions of WHAT IFs out there to do with wraps, flips, renos, and, all sorts of properties….. there is ALWAYS going to be some sort of TRUST involved, and, there will always be RISK….

As a wrapper, my risk is higher, because I’m dealing with people the banks won’t touch…….

Protection for the wrappee – well, as I said, right now, the only available option is a Caveat…. which can protect anyone’s interests….

It also depends on your wrap strategy…. we currently have our 2nd re-finance happening right now…. and the wrappee has been with us for only 12 months…… He’s happy, and, so are we…. we are a wrappee’s stepping stone into a normal mortgage….. not their life line for the next 30 years……

All I can do, as a wrapper, right now, is to run our business ethically, fully disclosing EVERYTHING to the wrappee, and, advise them to seek independant legal advice…..

Honesty is the best way to operate… it works well for us….. and quite a few others….

Vendor Financing & wraps, will be here for a LONG LONG TIME….. especially with house afforability becoming an issue….

YES – I do hope there is some formal government regulation…..

WHY is it that wraps get a hard time ??

1) there are some greedy B@stards out there….who stuff it up for the rest of us who are doing it properly….

2) the banks are nervous, because independants are beating them at their own game……

3) Fear of something reasonably new to many people….

A bank makes EVEN MORE profit on a loan than a wrapper does….. and, kicks people out of their homes when they dont pay……

Some people have moral issues with wrapping…. fine…. but, you better get used to it staying here….

I look forward to regulation coming in…. no matter what comes in, we will most likely exceed the requirements, and, if not, be more than happy to meet them….. Either way, we will continue to do business, with clients who are happy we help them into a normal loan…..

OK, ranting mode OFF….[blush2]

Sweet, short & simple answer – Operate with Ethics…. do the right thing by your customers…. [cap]

@kay-henry

Pelican, I don’t see that anyone here has made this an ethical question. People are discussing the rights and responsibilities of the wrapper- as per the question. Noone mentioned wrongs or rights- people have been discussing the legalities of it.

kay henry

@pelican
    Originally posted by kay henry:

The question of the author has been answered here- wrappees have no protection- caveat (warning) or not, because the wrapper is the first mortgage holder. A wrapper is a landlord, yes, but wrappers say that they are providing wrappees with their own home- which is a misnomer, because wrappees are tenants until the last payment is made.

Wait a second there Kay….

Caveats – Do protect a person’s interests… You ever tried to buy a property that had a caveat against it…. CANT HAPPEN…..

Wrappees – DO see a statement, showing their outstanding loan amount….. It’s also a UCCC requirement that the underlying loan, is not higher than a wrappee’s loan, so, they are NOT Tenants….

And what ABOUT title ?? do you think it will mean ANYTHING to a bank, if you stop paying your loan for a few months ?? A Bank is less tolerant of defaulters than in most cases, a wrapper would be…….

The issue is about (deja vu here ? [blink]) DOING YOUR HOMEWORK on your provider, just as you would with a bank……

Profile photo of InfiniteInfinite
    @infinite

Thanks guys for all your info, it was extremely helpful. Seems like an interesting topic…

Basically I was asking from a legal perspective. So I gathered that technically the wrappee has no protection if the banks choose to sell the property even though there may be a caveat and UCCC requirements about the loan.

Thanks
    Infinite

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

I repeat my earlier comment….its dribble, misinformed, opinionated dribble, at that.

Its not a matter of agrereing or not.

It is more likely for a wrapee to default than for a wrapper to default.

Some wrapees even go back for more after selling their wrapped property for a profit, why ? because they preferred dealing with the wrapper than they do with a bank. The terms are easier and more flexible.

It is possible for a wrap loan to cost the same in terms of interest rate as would a bank loan, there is less paperwork, your credit refernce file will not reflect the vendor finance loan, this may help you borrow further without the bank telling you that you are at your borrowing limit ( unless of course you like having the bank dictate to you at what level you can no longer borrow funds)

Pelican, you don’t need to justify wraps to the uninformed, just keep building your positive cashflow business. Think on the positive side…more misinformation, less competition.

Infinite, try contacting Tony Cordato or visit his website…he is a lawyer and one of the best informed experts on vendor financing, and is located in Sydney..if your query is of a legal nature, best to conatct a legal expert.

KP

@pelican

KP,

Thanks…. my only reason for posting here is to clarify the misinformation that appears about wraps from time to time….

I and my partner are too busy wrapping, and, doing other property investments……

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Same here.
    Just concentrating on the various avenues we use to generate wealth ( equity mate…) from property.
    I have not completed a wrap.
    But the last transaction I completed effectively made the vendor a wrapper, and it was by my choice.
    ie.. I am effectively the wrapee for want of a better word.
    Both parties are happy.
    I got the property, and the vendor gets bank interest rates on the money he left in the deal.

The difference as far as I am concerned is that I have taken the trouble and gone to the expense to learn, study and investigate the merits, pitfalls, best case worse case scenarios with regard to vendor financing…at it came up trumps..
    It is a very flexible and useful instrument if used correcly, to create win/win outcomes for both parties.

KP

Profile photo of wessy7249wessy7249
    @wessy7249

As a wrapper with many deals in the last 12 months I have been looking at this issue from a Customer point of view.

I have finally done the following to solve this problem ……hopefully all those knockers will now see that there is a right way to protect our customers ?????

We buy on 80 /20 loan so if we buy a 100K house then our PI loan is 80K
    Wrap at 125K with12 deposit = loan of 113K also PI

If I default, go broke or I am delcared bankrupt then our Bank offers OUR MOrtgage of in this case 80K to our customer …..

Banks is happy , wrapee is happy and I am out of business ……. SIMPLE

We use one of the BIG banks and they are doing the paperwork for this NOW

At the end of the day I am going to run an eficient business like all wrappers should ……therefore I sure as hell WILL NOT go broke

[cap]

seeya
    Wes

look outside the square and you can find an answer

@pelican

It’s funny that the same old faces pop up, spouting misinformation about wraps, when they themselves have neither wrapped a property, or, educated themselves on wrapping…..

My biz partner and I just wrapped house # 40 this week….. we have NO unhappy customers… We have a HAPPY bank, HAPPY CUSTOMERS..

WHY ?? because we do things from a CUSTOMER’s perspective……

OK, show you what we DO…. if a wrappee defaults, we usually return their deposit…. DOES A BANK DO THIS ???

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, unless you have wrapped, please do not post information here as if you knew what you were talking about……

Sorry to flame here folks, but this is getting tiring…… exactly why, I hardly bother to post anymore…..

Too many lurkers here who spend too much time, posting about things they are not totally knowledgable about……

—-
    Terryw – Thanks for your good input here on caveats……

So far we have Bought 1 house which had a caveat against it…. everything stopped, until the seller got it cleared off….. same would be the case in a wrappee’s house…. put a caveat against it….

The issue here is, in all honesty about ethics, and, how you carry out your business… it’s not about ripping people off….. it’s about running a finance business…… which in many cases charges lower rates than a bank does…..

peace all…. I’m outta here….

http://wraps.blogspot.com/

Profile photo of skippygirlskippygirl
    @skippygirl

Good on you Wes and KP.

I have done wraps and often thought, if I defaulted on my loan, which is extremely unlikely anyway, then wouldn’t the bank logically turn to the quickest and best ready made solution which is to deal with the wrappees, who have been paying a higher repayment (testimonial to ability to pay) and occupy the house and have an equitable interest anyway.
    If I was the bank I would use my rights to take over the deal (collect the rents/profits as is their power under the mortgage I believe) and then promptly organise a title transfer and new mortgage for the wrapees. The bank couldn’t auction off the property anyway until or unless the wrappees’ interest was resolved.

Cheers
    skippygirl :)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.