All Topics / Help Needed! / The little things tenants love…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of waynel2waynel2
    @waynel2

Hi guys,

I’m currently rennovating a property and am trying to think of all the little things tenants would like to have in a property. This is more the smaller things, not the bigger items like air con, heating, secuirty, double carport etc.

Does any have any suggestions? bennido mentioned a ‘bathroom heater’ – which was a good idea:)

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne Leech

*Below are links to my websites – any feedback, comments would be appreciated:)
    http://www.landsearcher.com.au – List your land for FREE (Private sellers only)
    http://www.homesearcher.com.au – List your property for FREE (Private sellers only)

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

waynel2 – The best idea I can think of is to think of what YOU would like if you were renting a place. As you said, the little things sometimes need more thought than the big things.

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Wayne,

Storage space, as humans we tend to accumulate (hoard) lots of “things” so one can never have too many places in which to put them. Shelves, cupboards. You could make use of empty space by enclosing it and putting a door in front for some useful storage room. Extra shelving in laundries is ideal for placing detergents on etc, as are broom and/or ironing board cupboards.

If you like the bathroom heater, and you don’t mind spending an extra quid, try a heated towel rail; nothing nicer after stepping out of the shower/bath and wrapping yourself up in a soft warm towel (heavenly)!!!!

Sensor lights in front (or rear) garden or (preferably) front porch leading to entrance, gives people sense of security and helps at times when scrambling around for keys in the dark.

Clothes lines, retractable ones work well, and don’t hog the backyard and make it unsightly.

But I guess, it all comes down to personal choice and of course $$$$

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of waynel2waynel2
    @waynel2

thanks guys! these are great ideas!

keep them coming![thumbsupanim]

I have a budget of around $1,500 for misc items – therefore if it’s going to help keep the tenant happy i’ll look at installing it:)

cheers!

Wayne Leech

*Below are links to my websites – any feedback, comments would be appreciated:)
    http://www.landsearcher.com.au – List your land for FREE (Private sellers only)
    http://www.homesearcher.com.au – List your property for FREE (Private sellers only)

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

wayne,

As a tenant, there’s something that’s really important to me- and it’s something that landlords seem to sometimes cross the line with. It’ll cost you nothing to do, and it won;t take any of your time- in fact, it will free up your time. That’s giving your tenants *privacy* All tenants have the right to “quiet enjoyment” of their premises, under the Residential Tenancies Act, and that means landlords can’t snoop around the premises every 5 minutes. Some tenants are not aware of their rights, and I think a respectful landlord will make sure they know the rights of tenants, and they let tenants know them too.

Sometimes the best things in life are free, but they also create a world of difference to our tenants. My RE comes to my place once a year for an inspection. Apart from that, it’s my home, and I don’t want snoopies.

kay henry

Profile photo of waynel2waynel2
    @waynel2

that’s a valid point kay. I’ll look at doing this once I trust the tenant a little more:) I guess it’s not good to leave the inspections a year apart intially – just incase they don’t look after the place.

Cheers

Wayne

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Wayne 12
    My 2 cents worth is : make sure the tenant is warm, cool, clean, big HWS, great sink & stove, generous shower head, everything works properly, and your PM moves like a scalded cat when repairs or maintenance is required.
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hi Wayne,

I would spend as little as possible on the fixtures and get tenants in there. then as the months go by, I would add a ceiling fa, or heater as an incentive for them to stay renting the property and then keep the property in good condition. They wil appreciate you adding these items later on – it will show them that you care about them.

Kind Regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

What tenants really like is value for money.

Profile photo of ez-rentez-rent
    @ez-rent

ADSL enabled phone line.. + a wireless DSL router to go with it.. particularly for students anyway

EZ-Rent. The free tax and cashflow simulator for Australian property investors. Version 2 out now!
    http://www.ez-rent.com

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Wayne,

I would argue that mainstream tenants want a safe, well kept property with a landlord/PM who attend to maintenance problems in a timely manner.

After attending to heating/cooling, security and safety issues I don’t believe the ‘little things’ add much in the way of value to a property or to the rent returns. Why spend $1500 on something that gives no return?

I would prefer to keep the $1500 for repairs so they can be actioned quickly when/if required – in the meantime put the money in your offset or redraw account where it is readily accessible.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of BlitzemBlitzem
    Participant
    @blitzem

Wayne

As a tennant it’s important for me to hang pictures in the places I want to hang them.

I’ve never undertood why landlords are so reluctant to let tennants hang artwork on the walls.

I see this as allowing the tenants to feel at home and as such will be more reluctant to move out.

When they vacate, a quick once over with filler and touch up paint. Th eplace looks clean again and the new tenant can make themselves at home.
    This really FRUSTRATES me.

Cheers

Chad

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

I’d hold the cash and wait and see what the tenant asks for, every tenant is different and what may suit one doesn’t always suit another. Besdies if you’re still doing the reno then you may find that there’s little things that you find that need fising along the way that will eat into the funds available anyway.

Good Luck. We’re down to painting the skiritings an dwindow frames on our reno and it feels like it’s taking forever.

PK

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Blitzem
    Wish all tenants were like that, and stayed long term and did the good quality repairs, but I for one still have the visions splendid of the tenant being the disappearing dust cloud on the horizon, and the walls looking like the a firing squad used it.
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Storage is a biggie for me.
    We have an attic in this house with good access, and it’s a godsend.

Decor is important. Neutral i.e. white, beige, cream, offends the least amount of people and if using dark colours, like for feature walls etc, navy blue offends the least amount of people. Purples, reds, greens, yellow are very personal and can make others go YUCK!!!

The more ‘sydney stylee’ you can make your property look (within a budget appropriate to the market of course) the better, because the tenant will percieve the kitchen being ‘cool’ even if all you did was paint the original 50’s one but put nice new stainless steel handles on the cupboards!!

I did nothing more than white/beige paint and curtains in a natural fabric and polished the floors, and even though this was the cheapest property in the world in the sleepiest backwater town, the perception was immediately (from the rental manager) that ‘this is the best house we have’. Pretty amazing really. even country towns like ‘cool’ places.

cheers-
    Mini

joy to the world

Profile photo of YorkerYorker
    @yorker

The answer lies in white paint

Profile photo of Ali GAli G
    Participant
    @ali_g

Hi all,

I have just moved into a rental property for the first time and all I want is a deadlock on the door. I am no thief yet even I could break into this property in less than a minute through the front door! The Landlord won’t supply one.

Surely security is high up on the list of tenant needs/wants. I agree with you on this one Derek.

I also agree with you Blitzem. Who knows how long you may stay in a property? Surely hanging some pictures and patching up the wall (properly) afterwards is not asking too much in a lease that could go on for years?

Neither of these things cost much but it is amazing the kind of opposition you can come up against!

Cheers,

Ali G

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hi Ali,

mento to the Landlord that yiou have found a better property with dead-locks on the door, goos security, better rent and the house is in better condition – this should get some action from the landlord.

best regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

Ali G ( was terribly impressed by you in the movie)

I am about to replace a front door to an IP. I thought about a deadlock and while you might think it cheap……..I dont.

I don’t have one on my own front door so I see no need to provide one to my tennants. If I have nervous nellies living in one of properties, I see no problem with them installing their own deadlock. Nor do I have a problem with them putting hooks in the wall to hang their pics. As long as they are looking after the place they should make it as homey as they like.

Perhaps I am not cut out to be a landlord but frankly I cannot understand people who hassle the PM over changing a light bulb or a washer.

milly

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Wayne12/Blitzem,
    I could never understand why pictures on the wall where a no no? I discovered why I guess when I was renting in St Kilda and drove a tack into the wall to hang up some paintings. The harder I hammered, the more the wall crumbled! When I moved out I simply repaired the wall/paint and no problem! I’ve just had one of my properties vacant for 3 weeks and no applications from prospective tennants. One tennent mentioned that it could do with a heater (now being the tail end of winter). So for $363 I put in a wall heater and I now have 3 tennants competing for the flat? The other property I have is tennanted by a young couple and my PM told me the wife is pregnant. Today I had to sign the lease as they want to renew for another year. When I went into the real estate office to sign the lease I gave my PM a ‘CONGRATUALTIONS’ card and a CD voucher to thank them for being such ‘FANTASTIC’ tennants. I’ve spent a bit on this couple from the mundane toilet washer to repairing tyles and restumping the back patio. However I think they do appreciate it and I haven’t increased the rent. The repairs I did were necessary anyway and I may move into this property one day anyway so to me it was a win/win situation. They are now signed in for anther year. The other flat? For the cost of a heater from an intellligent commentfrom a prospective tennant has only cost me the equivelant of a fortnight’s lost rent anyway, has improved the value of the property and I now have the ‘problem’ of who gets to move in!
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.