All Topics / Help Needed! / Makeover Garden

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi All,
    just purchased an IP hmmmm – no garden.

I would like to try to establish this within 1 month. Possibly also look at putting up a pergola.

I am after any tips to reduce costs and whether there are any other options that may be cheaper than a pergola.

The actual house also needs a makeover so funds are limited.

However gotta have a pergola for the odd BBQ…..

I am allocating approximately $5,000 for house, I dont have a clue with the garden.

Need as much help as I can get with this one.

[biggrin]

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Marisa,
    I’d keep as simple as possible, low maintenance.
    Your best bet is to plant natives, as these are generally drought tolerant and less likely to die from neglect if you are renting out the property.
    For the best prices, i’d try markets and school fetes are usually good for picking up cheap plants. Check in your local paper.
    Cheers,
    Sue [biggrin]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

wots your climate?
    For a garden I would choose not only cheap plants that are draught tollerant but also those that self propogate easily, like ‘spider plants’. One plant turns intomany and the gardens wont ever be empty.
    Just a thought.

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

ThanksC@34 and Sue, natives sound ideal.

Any clues on pergola, wonder what price range I would be looking at?

Cheers[exhappy]

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck

Do you want a:

Pergola :- wooden (generally)structure with open roof

Patio :- Attached structure to house generally with a ‘closed’ roof.

There is a difference to both. A cheap pergola could perhaps be a large Arbour (open roof generally for growing vines on). You grow some quick growing vines like Jasmine or Orange Trumpet to create a shady roof for it.

The base for it could be compacted roadbase or bluemetal.

Plants for a garden could be from something that already exists in gardens you already have. Succulent or semi-succulent plants such as Rheo and Mother-in-laws Tongue propagate easily as do the mondo grass varieties. You will need a mechanism for control for these plants be it ‘bordered’ in or for example planted in a submerged pot with the bottom cut off as they do tend to spread vigorously once settled.

Mock orange is a fast growing hedging plant that isn’t too expensive to get your hands on as well.

If you want to plant something that is a ground cover (and your conditions don’t get too dry and hot eg Brisbane around christmas) then perhaps Thyme and oregano as this creates a nice fragrance when you brush them and you can use them in cooking (they can be grown from seeds as well if you really are worried about price).

Just a few ideas for you to think about.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly
    Originally posted by Marisa:

ThanksC@34 and Sue, natives sound ideal.

Any clues on pergola, wonder what price range I would be looking at?

Cheers[exhappy]

Hi Marisa,

Your question is a toughie…..it is so difficult to say, it can be as cheap or as extravagant as your budget will allow. If you want to go really really cheap, try some of your larger hardware stores, they have those free-standing carport/pergola canvass-type things (not necessarily the most attractive, but I have seen them used as outdoor extertainment shelter, and I think they retail for about $300 (????). Personally, I had a gazebo built in my backyard last year, and I got the guy to use re-cycled timber (the greenie in me!!!) and it cost me about 6K…looks awesome, and didn’t need any council permits as it isn’t attached to the house at all. Everyone comments on it, especially the decking!!!

Cheers, and keep us posted! [winking]

Jo

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi SD, great, will go for this sounds like it will do the trick[strum]. Though will need to be careful that the creepers are not invasive.

Monopoly, thanks, $6K wow – I would expect it to look awsome at that price.
    However, it would be overkill for this property, I only paid $25,000 for the house. My car cost more than the house…. though, cant complain about that. Car only goes down in value[rolleyesanim]

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck

Or perhaps install a shade sail instead of a pergola…

try this site for quick reference:

http://www.diyshade.com.au/

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi SD, cool site. Thanks, great help….[biggrin]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Marisa,

I would suugest you do not transfer a ‘Perth’ idea into the investment property as the climate differences are significant both in winter and summer – and while you will pay a little more I would invest my hard earned in the local nursery so that you buy plants appropriate to the area.

Steer clear of large trees as they will create maintenance issues further down the track.

After living in the area we found that most ‘locals’ do not want a full lawned garden and often had ‘bare’ yards – it is totally inappropriate for the area due to the climate and requirement for less water and maintenance – a small patch of lawn (sufficient for a single sprinkler/retic popup or two) is more than sufficient – kikuyu seemed to do the trick as it is drought tolerant and will come back to life with a drenching or winter rains and yet still gave reasonable coverage. Native couch on the other hand didn’t cover quite as well but had the same advantages with respect to renewal after drought.

One thing I would strongly advise is to make sure the property is fully aircoonditioned – ducted evaporative is sufficent and very effective for the area – it is airconditioning that will make the difference to having a tenant or not in the summer months.

You will also need some sort of effective heating as the winter nights & days can get very cold. Once again the attractiveness of tthe property is directly related to the tenants comfort level.

If an external patio/pergola structure is on your shopping list I recommend you do not build from timber as the climate will dry out the timber very quickly and create another raft of maintenance costs. If you are using timber use a good quality oil based paint to seal the timber more effectively.

I suggest some galvanised legs colorbond metal sheeting to ensure longevity as being more appropriate for the area with shadecloth strung over it as a cheap yet effective cover – sure the initial costs may be a little more but the long term benefits are more pronounced.

Given steel is lighter you will also be able to save on freight by transporting the materials from Perth.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Ring around some nurseries and tell them you want a large amount of cheap natives – ask for the old stock. The public doesn’t buy plants that don’t look 100% and often you can get a great deal on a ute load of rough looking natives that will perk up when planted, fed and watered for a season.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Marrisa,

Stratco sell a 10x3m steel contruction for approx $1,800 but you have to do the council plans and erect it.

Alternatively the outdoor centre in the town I invested in, quoted $2,250 to supply, erect, do the plans and council approval bit. We’re going that way, it didn’t seem worth our while doing it ourselves for a difference of $450. Perhaps ring around places in the town with an estimate of the sizes you’d want and see what they estimate over the phone.

Regards
    PK

Profile photo of hgwellshgwells
    @hgwells

try your local native nursery, they usually supply tubestock which is quicker to establish, I got agapanthas for $1/ea and they multiply easily, also bottlebrushes and grevillias for under $2 – they usually supply according to how many plants you buy, so the more you buy the cheaper you get, throw in one of those dripper systems if the water restictions allow and you have a garden! Don’t forget to mulch, I put newspaper underneath to stop the weeds getting thru with the dripper under it to conserve water. HG

Profile photo of mistymisty
    @misty

I have found a great way to get plants is look out for houses being demolished, then contact owner and ask if you can go dig them up. Some let you for nothing and some want a small fee but great way to get more established plants giving garden better look quicker

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.