All Topics / Finance / What happens if 2nd valuation is less than 1st?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

Anyone have any advice/past experiences on a 2nd bank valuation coming in less than the 1st? I am wondering what might happen if the market slumps & prices drop? Then,when i go to get my next valuations (to access equity),what will happen if it’s lower than previously?? Does the bank then automatically reduce the value of your house? This may put us back years in re-building our equity!I dont know whether a cuurrent property I own will come in at a better price than before,as i believe it may have been overvalued last time… Any thoughts??

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Misty,

If the current property you’ve bought has been bank valued recently, then the bank probably won’t do another val on it. It depends on how much you want to borrow for your next place. If your LVR is low enough, then you shouldn’t have to worry. In my experience, bank valuations are never usually higher than the property is worth, so perhaps you bought it an an under value price to begin with.

A couple of options to think about. Firstly, you could pump in as much money as you can into your property, to reduce your LVR somewhat, therefore taking the pressure off the valuation. Also, say your new valuation *does* come in lower, at least you’ll know how much money you can borrow, and you may have to just buy a cheaper IP next time.

I too, am getting 2 IP’s revalued currently, and I’m really interested in how that will go- they haven’t been valued before. You can always ring up a local RE to find out how much similar properties to yours have sold for. I find that RE’s are great about that, and they have access to all that info at their fingertips :o)

Good luck with it.

kay henry

Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

I have had such a huge dif. in val’s from the local r/e’s to the bank val’s, that i feel i cant rely on either! As for pumping more cash in to lower it,no can do-none to pump in! But,am trying 2 work out how 2 access any avail. equity without getting a lower valuation! Thanx.Any one with other comments??

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Sorry Misty- it’s me again! [blush2]

I just wanted to make a quick comment. RE’s don’t do “valuations”- they do “market appraisals”, which really has no validity. Often RE’s will overvalue your IP so that you might sell with them, although this practice is being more regulated now, and the RE can get in trouble if they give you an overvaluation or an undervaluation, so they’re being more cautious. But never take a market valuation at face value. Often bank valuations will come in at a markedly different price than a market appraisal.

kay henry

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Hi Misty

I once had a property on the market many years ago with an agent after only having a couple of appraisals done by agents . I had decided in my wisdom that I knew what my property was worth and wasn’t going to pay the valuers fee, haa haa!

Anyway, the place did not sell, and because it was my ppor and I was moving on with work, my accountant advised me to have it valued for tax reasons.

The valuation came in at $45k more than my asking price!

Needless to say , I learn’t something from that.

Perhaps you could too?

pursefattener

Profile photo of 1HotValuer1HotValuer
    Participant
    @1hotvaluer

Hi, I’m a bank mortgage Valuer. Unfortunately when the market slumps (which is noticibly happening) in Sydney anyway, there is not much you can do if your 2nd valuation comes in less than the 1st. I see it all the time. One word of advice I would give is, when you apply at the bank to refinance, over estimate the value of your IP then cross your fingers that a Valuer gets your valuation and doesn’t know the area and therefore re-values your property a little higher! Besides that, there is not much you can do except hold tight until the market makes an upturn which will happen eventually. I worked through the last recession in 1991 and I promise you, you can’t buy any property at those prices today. The alternative is, you may have negative equity for a while but hang in there things will improve.Good luck.

Profile photo of GeronimoGeronimo
    @geronimo
    Originally posted by 1HotValuer:

Hi, I’m a bank mortgage Valuer.

Hi 1Hot

Great info. Nice to have an ‘insider’ on this forum. Welcome and look forward to reading your posts.

Brendon

Acute Mortgage Reductions
    http://www.acutemr.com.au
    [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I beleive it is possible that the bank or lender could ask the borrower to lower the LVR (ie reduce the loan – a margin call). But this is an extreme case and I have never seen it happen.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of GeronimoGeronimo
    @geronimo

A good person to ask about Property Margin Calls is Henry Kaye. Perhaps this is not the right forum for this discussion though?

I think the rest of us are pretty safe.

Brendon

Acute Mortgage Reductions
    http://www.acutemr.com.au
    [email protected]

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

I guess you could kill the 2nd valuer, and that could act a as a warning to the third….

Also you could give a fact sheet to the valuer, that incs. any major new developments and recent sales in your area (of course you might select house sales that just happen to be on the high side).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of maxhugenmaxhugen
    @maxhugen

RE agents CAN be a useful source of info so that you can estimate the valuation of your property – don’t ask them for just an appraisal on your property, but ask for details of recent comparable sales.

After all their “assessments” this is what drives a valuer most anyway.

When I’m about to get my property revalued to increase my loan facility, I get details of recent sales, add a photo, and have them ready for the Valuer. I do OK this way!

As a broker, I’ve had to take issue with valuers a couple of times… did the same exercise, and was successful at getting the original valuation increased.

HTH

Max Hugen [email protected]
    Alpha Financial
    Residential & Commercial Loans
    http://www.alphafinancial.com.au
    02 9560 3061

Profile photo of theloanarrangertheloanarranger
    @theloanarranger

Misty,

If you think a lower val price is possible, consider getting a val done either privately (ie you pay for it, and ensure the valuer is on your lenders panel, so you can use it later), or use another lender than your existing to do the val. (probably still have to pay for the val, but will probably be cheaper than getting one done yourself, because of lenders’ bulk discounts).

At least you’ll then know what val will be and act accordingly. If your existing lender does the val, and it comes in low, kiss goodbye getting a loan from ’em for a long, long time..

theloanarranger

@misty1

Thanx everyone for such brilliant replies! My situation is,that i got 3 local r/e val’s, of course using the highest to give to bank valuer as a “standard” price.The r/e’s was 390-low 400’s, but the bank’s only came in at 340! I knew it would come in lower than r/e,but not by that much! I was hoping to access more of it for new i.p. [ohno2] Do u’s reckon i should try another valuer? (Although that one was used anyway,as it still gave me enough equity to get what i wanted. But more would be nice![biggrin]

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey
    I was hoping to access more of it for new i.p. [ohno2] Do u’s reckon i should try another valuer? (Although that one was used anyway,as it still gave me enough equity to get what i wanted. But more would be nice![biggrin]

Well if you got what you wanted why not sit on it and reval again in 6 month…you know you’ve got some extra up your sleeve even if the bank doesn’t agree :)

Perhaps you will next reval with a different lender.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Misty1,
    At the end of last year, I re-financed my apartment in Melb inner city. I submitted my estimation of the value of my property based on real estate valuations and other comps. I then stretched this and placed another $20k on that price.

At this bank (one of the majors), they did an internet valuation and accepted the price, 24 hours after the applicaton was submitted.

The LVR on the main loan was about 67%, with the remaining 13% being on the LOC. Maybe refinancing could be an option??

James

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi there all
    friends of mine had their 3 properties (2 IP & their home) evaluated and they came very very short (mining town with wild fluctating prices), but because of their existing loan contract the bank couldn’t do anything to them (charge extra $$ or the like). So, if time is of the escence, you need to weigh up the costs to you and your plan.
    I am learning that rushing things aint the way to go!! Just ensure that you don’t miss out on the opportunity you want to get.
    Cheers
    C@T

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Go to another lender is what I think as well.

Last year I bought an IP for $100k. Could only get a 65%lvr loan so got that and did the deal. 3 months later my broker suggested that a different lender would now lend 76% on the same IP. Greedy me say do it and I got 32K out(put $35k in to start)and the house was revalued at $120k
    not 100k. So add the exit fee of $1500.00 it cost me a whopping $4.5k to turn around and do it again very quickly.

Dont be scared, it is just a real game of monopoly.

DD

Profile photo of 1HotValuer1HotValuer
    Participant
    @1hotvaluer

Pay for another valuation fee, go with a different lender and keep us Valuers in a job !

@misty1

thanx everyone 4 great replies.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

MIsty, some lenders will increase the loan as long as the title has been transferred to one’s own name.

This means that if the valuer places a higher valuation on the property than the actual purchase price one will be able to increae the loan without incurring the penalty charges you mentioned in your post.

Pisces

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.