All Topics / General Property / QLD- Brisbane property increases

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

10 news just said that Brisbane owners had a 35% increase, and 19% in the last quarter.

They say property market showing signs of slowing
    They say heading for a interest rate rise.

Elves

Profile photo of TCTC
    @tc
    Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Its fair to say that Qld property market is very different to the rest of the country’s (WA’s is pretty solid as well)

I don’t think the QLD prop. mkt is sufficiently large enough to make a significant influence on the RBA’s future decisions.

I just hope the QLD renaissance continues for a little while longer.

James

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

James

No indicators at this stage to say that it won’t carry on.

Cheers Richard
    richard at fhog.com.au
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of RubbachookRubbachook
    @rubbachook

From today’s The Age:

In Melbourne, house prices grew by just 3.8 per cent during the quarter, compared with growth of 12 per cent in Brisbane, 5.3 per cent in Sydney and 6 per cent nationally.

Over the year, Melbourne house prices rose by 12.5 per cent, well below Brisbane, where prices surged 35.1 per cent. Business research firm BIS Shrapnel’s Robert Mellor said the figures were a last hurrah for Sydney and Melbourne, but prices in Brisbane – and to a lesser extent Perth and Adelaide – had yet to peak.

Profile photo of teabagtedteabagted
    @teabagted

One thing to be wary of when listening to official figures is the fact that they are not based on last week’s figures, but on figures that may be 1-2 months old or older. During a transition period from a seller’s to a buyer’s market figures that old aren’t so useful.
    People talk about Brisbane’s boom as a single entity, but of course different suburbs and locations boomed at different times and to different extents. Some hardly moved whereas others doubled in price. Some outlying areas boomed very late and for a short time. As for prices rising or falling, I believe they are doing both, depending on where you are talking about. I have definitely found prices moving downwards, in some cases by tens of thousands. However I believe in those cases, the house was overpriced in the first place. Too many silly, trendy people paid too much for their properties and created an expectation among their neighbours. The huge drop in prices for some properties is just reality setting in. They asre not bargains as such, so don’t get too excited when you see them.

Regards
    teabagted

Profile photo of HousesOnlyHousesOnly
    Participant
    @housesonly

Heres an excerpt from an article from NAB which validates the above.

• Capital city house prices rose a further 6.0% in
    the December quarter, the largest quarterly rise
    since the late 1980s.
    • However there is evidence that relatively more
    sales at the upper end of the market have
    biased up the median price rises in Q4.

Table 1: House Price Growth – December 2003
    Region Quarter Year

Australian Capital Cities Average 6.0 18.9
    Sydney 5.3 15.5
    Melbourne 3.8 12.5
    Brisbane 12.0 35.1
    Adelaide 6.4 24.2
    Perth 5.1 22.2
    Hobart 3.2 21.4
    Darwin 6.7 13.2
    Canberra 6.6 25.3

Building Approvals Ease Further
    Building Approvals fell by 3.3% in January, the fourth
    consecutive decline. Private housing was down 4.4%
    and multi-units were 3.1% higher. Approvals for public
    sector housing posted the largest decline (-37.5%),
    although the absolute numbers are quite small.
    By state, monthly declines were seen in every state
    except Victoria. The largest declines were in South
    Australia (-19.4%), WA (-12.9%) and NSW (-12.8%). On
    a trend basis, WA is showing flat growth, while all other states are off their peak.

Policy Implications
    The monthly building approvals and housing finance
    data have shown consecutive declines since their peaks
    in October. However the official quarterly house price
    data to end-2003 remain solid, even allowing for the
    compositional effects. With household debt levels still
    rising, the RBA will maintain its tightening bias until
    signs of cooling in housing prices and credit are
    confirmed.

Profile photo of HousesOnlyHousesOnly
    Participant
    @housesonly

I totally agree with teabagted especially the sentence “Too many silly, trendy people paid too much for their properties and created an expectation among their neighbours”

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by HousesOnly:

I totally agree with teabagted especially the sentence “Too many silly, trendy people paid too much for their properties and created an expectation among their neighbours”

I also agreed!

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re on your way to Frolic Freedom!]

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

well we all know that QLD was notorious for shonky deals and real estate investment mongrels…lol its not like anything changed since I recall some 24 years ago. Yep I got caught a long time ago with a shonky, but I held out long enough to make a profit from it anyway. All costs considered.

I ad friends that were taken for a ride about two years ago in the gold coast reason, yet another friend bought well and he doesnt regret his buying at all. hes laughing all the way to the bank right now.

So I guess it is like anywhere…buyer beware!

just that I know my brissie places are still increasing in capital growth, nothing like i expected, and even if they dropped 20k or 30k off current retail saleable price…I would still be laughing.

cheers

@woodsman

Being able to negotiate a price which might be $20k-30k, or whatever the figure is, below supposed reserve price, is nothing more than what happens every day in every market. Even in a boom period.

There is a difference between falling prices / slowing growth (still increasing mind you) and purchasing price below vendors asking price.

James

@elves

really?

I would never have known that![;)]

@woodsman

That was more directed to teabagted.

James

@elves

no worries james
    just my humour playing up.[:D]

@teabagted

Thank you HousesOnly and Chan$ for agreeing with me. People agreeing with me is my favourite sound. I’d like to add further comments/info. to support my belief that official figures for growth are unreliable. I know people in the earth moving business and they were telling me that before Christmas operators of earth moving machinery were like royalty, because there was such a shortage, i.e. there was so much work. Now there is a total reversal of the situation with many operators chasing one job. At the same time, I was told by a plumber working on new houses that he had more work than he could cope with. What does this mean? Digger drivers with little work and tradesmen with plenty? It means that there are housing developments still to be finished, however the fact that so many earth moving operators are out of work means that once they have completed the earth moving, there’s no work replacing it. The tradesmen still have work because that is the next stage of completion. The unemployed digger drivers are a warning sign. You will also find partly built houses that appear to be abandoned. The framework is up but weathering, meaning work has stopped on them. Some smaller developers may have decided to cut their losses.
    This does not show up in the official figures. What shows up is that there is still building going on. What people don’t understand is that the new housing market does not come to a sudden halt when things go bad. Developments that have been committed to have to be completed, creating the appearance that rapid growth is still continuing. Once again, I realise that this is based on hearsay, but it is hearsay at the coal face.

Regards
    teabagted

@teabagted

You are right, James about there being a difference between falling prices and paying less than the vendor’s asking price. I’m talking about the overall pattern. When I was buying property in the middle of last year, I missed out at times because people were offering more than the asking price. I was doing well to get $5000 of the price of one property. I’m curious as to where I could get $20-30k off, even in a boom. Not in the feeding frenzy of the Northern suburbs! I had to look at property earlier and earlier each week just to have a chance. People were paying big money for dumps. My point is it was extremely hard to negogiate a discount because there was no need for the vendor to do so. There were people willing to pay the asking price and even more. I have monitored house prices in those same areas several times a week since January and there has been a downshift in asking prices, as well as a much greater willingness to negotiate.

Regards
    teabagted

@elves

I dont disagree with you teabag

They have been telling us for a few months now that
    auction sales have fallen
    That the NEW housing market has dropped (been doing that for a bit)
    That there is a slowing in the markets.

I just spoke with my bank manager who said that there was a plateau on houses and prices, he deals a lot in QLD and NSW.

Now I dont beleive everything I read or hear. But I do beleive what he has to say as he is the one writing loans and approving overdrafts and submititng figures, if his end has dropped for all sorts of things, I know the market has had a lull also.

As for earth movers, its like any business, ebs and flows. I have friend with industrial equipment too, they work on building sites, commercial buildings and with the homeowners. They have bought more equipment to cope with the increased demand, but now there are times when he has that sitting around, too much for one not enough for two so to speak.

There are seasonal demands to also consider. Many businesses and commerical type entities actually close over xmas period, so a lot are out of work. the builidng industry is notorious for this. Supplies dry up over this time, no work gets done, they are on holidays. Now I know some big companies still work on projects, but even the likes of kitchens and their network eg granite people, close down over the xmas break.

There is a massive demand on some service providers prior to xmas, because of shut downs not be cause of work, but it also creates a false impression that things are booming prior to xmas eg oct nov dec, when it really is about gearing for this period.

elves

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Come now folks… don´t we like people inflating the market for us? People from the south bought up brissy because prices in sydney became inaffordable. Southerners also bought up tassie, SA, perth etc etc…

Be happy that brissy has grown so much! Particularly be happy if you have property there [:o)]

kay henry

@elves

who said they werent happy with the property rises?
    I said I was…anyone?

Profile photo of Monstango_2010Monstango_2010
    @monstango_2010

Just something i heard……
    i have a friend, who’s sister works at one of the larger banks in Sydney (the name excapes me at the moment). That bank still feels that Brisbane house prices are about 20% under valued….. just something i heard

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.