All Topics / General Property / keeping tenants happy

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

I rent a property in QLD, the lease is 12 months, based on the real estate agent telling me the tenant was a good one. Well the tenant is in payments, but one of those really niggly ones, pick pick pick.

simplistically:

As part of the lease negotiation I increased rental, on agreement of replacing the hot water system, to a larger one, when I tried to do this, the tenant refused (didnt want to pay water usage for filling the tank up)

They broke a window mowing and wanted me to claim on my insurance, I refused.

I fixed everything that the tenant mentioned upon purchase of the property, some items had been left for considerable time.

What do you do when you are trying to give them quality and help, yet they dont help themselves?
    I expect get a new tenant, and I am certain they will move out upon expiration of their lease, but I beleived I was a good landlord.

Any ideas welcome.[:(]

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi Elves

Welcome to the forum.

Turn that frown upside down and remember you can’t please all the people all of the time. Soon enough they will rent somewhere else and discover what a great landlord they had in you.

Might I suggest though that you find out what it is that “They” want – did they ask for a bigger hot water system, or would some movie tickets have greater value to them or an air con etc.

Just because the HWS adds value to your property doesn’t mean it will have the same value to someone who has got hotwater anyway!

Just some food for thought and keep up the compassion that you have demonstrated.

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

Thanks for the welcome!

And yes, they asked for this at the start of the lease, and when I was buying the place, you know- ask the tenant problems with a house and they are quick to tell you, (especially if they think they might get you on side[:)])

I wont regret the purchase, or their moving. Thanks for the reply

Lynn

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Elves,

Just make sure, when the tenants move out, you take some of their bond money to cover the cost and expenses to fix the problems and unwanted cost your tenants caused you.

Cheers,
    s.i.s

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel
    Originally posted by Still in School:

Hi Elves,

Just make sure, when the tenants move out, you take some of their bond money to cover the cost and expenses to fix the problems and unwanted cost your tenants caused you.

Cheers,
    s.i.s

SIS

Would you prefer that the tenants not mention problems and allow the property to gradually deteriorate?

Subtracting bond for this type of “inconvenience” only furthers the usually acrimonious relationship between tenant and landlord.

I am renting for the moment. The landlord has made it clear that my reporting of small problems is unwelcome. Why should I now care for this property as if it were my own when the landlord doesn’t?

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

@still-in-school

Hi WayneL,

I should have mentioned, that i was refering to the breakage of the window. No harm in it, its just if you put yourself in the landlords position. I would strongly take out some bond money, when the tenant moves out.

Though on small problems, i do agree that i would rather the tenant tell the agent and let the agent sought it out.

But due to a damage window, at their fault and there cause, i believe the agent will side you on this.

Cheers,
    s.i.s

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

sis, if you try to take bond money out of bond money- for the window, for example, when you (the owner) have agreed to pay for it, you will be taken to the Residential Tenancy Tribunal, and the tenants will win. For a guy who owns 13 IP’s, you have an interesting perspective on how you are able to use bond moneys. elves propbably need not have fixed the window at her own expense, but given that she did, you can’t just go around taking people’s bond money willy-nilly- sheesh.

elves- i sympathise with your situation. I wonder will your tenant actually move when the time comes! or will you be a slave to the tenant forever? [:(]

kay henry

@still-in-school

Hi Kay,

Im just in a particular mood at the moment, recently one of my partners tenants burnt the inside of one of her properties. Were more than 80% fire damage was done to the property. Since this happening, we been reviewing clauses and insurance policy agreements. The property will be replaced and rebuilt, but since this happening, we have been more careful and strict on the tenants agreements.

Cheers,
    sis

Profile photo of ErikaErika
    @erika

Hi All
    Just thought I would add my 2 cents. Personally I would rather a tenant who always pays on time but asks for annoying things to one that doesnt pay on time. You dont have to agree to all their demands, my Dad had one of these tenants always asking for things to be done or new things added sometimes he did them sometimes he didnt but these tenants stayed for 7 years had yearly rent increases and left the place in as good a condition as they got it.
    Does your insurance cover glass breakage after all I assume it was an accident while they were maintaning the property and isnt this why you have insurance.
    Look to the positve side of having this tenant instead of the negative.
    Erika

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi SIS,
    I take it your insurance is covering the cost of the rebuilding, a fairly bad experience for you.
    Out of curiousity, was the fire intentional or accidental?
    Cheers,
    Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

@still-in-school

Hi Sue,

Insurance is covering it, though we were lucky and almost were not going to be covered as the fire was intentional. This is my partners property, the situation now is, that the property is almost complete, since then, we have been very cautious about bonds and insurance. Though during this period of time, its been a battle to get the insurance company to pay for loss of rent in this period.

Still at the same time, it is a win/lose/win situation, but its still taking its time and process to complete.

Cheers,
    sis

Profile photo of CaptainCaptain
    Participant
    @captain

Hi Elves,

I could have written your post myself. I too have a tenant in QLD who lives at home(on benefits) and is continually requesting minor work.

Since I bought the place in September I have had to repair power points, ceiling fan, shower seals, oven handles, door jams, handles, light sockets, kitchen cupboards, TV arial interference(?)…it is endless.
    Not a week goes by when I don’t have a quote turn up.

I bought wine and movie tickets for my other tenants for christmas and like to think I am a reasonable and compliant landlord but this tenant is driving me nuts.

I’d like to know where the line is drawn between tanant and landlord responsibility when fittings/fixtures are broken during the tenancy.

Just remember you have a business relationship with the tenant, treat it accordingly and leave it on your desk when the 5 o’clock whistle blows(and think about how much your property has appreciated whilst they have occupied it).

Anyway no sterling advice to offer but rest assured that you’re not alone on this one.

Good luck with it.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

elves- do you have a Property Manager for your property? If you get a good PM, they will be able to create boundaries for the tenant. Then you and the tenant have a buffer between you, and the PM can quickly resolve any minor problems.

I once had a great PM (who then changed RE’s :o( ) and she used to just go in, do an inspection when she had to, and fix stuff in the properties herself!!! hehe- she was a total find :)

I would rather have a PM negotiating with a difficult tenant than me feeling like I have to argue with a tenant, and me constantly uncertain of what the tenant’s right are versus my rights.

kay henry

Profile photo of MonkeybamMonkeybam
    @monkeybam

the secret to keeping tennants content is knowing the law and your responsibilitesand theirs. Be upfront and honest with them. I find that it changes over time. they are not going to be overly fond of you after a rent increase. Who is fond of bills conning in! I manage myself, In doing so I ask the tennant the urgency when they ring me up and demand maintance. Usually they are pretty good. Also tell them when you inspect is something is not up to scratch and ask them when they will rectify the problem (overgrown gardens minor damage) then negotiate a time to check it has been done. The check is verry important. Once they know you do this it will become less important (the check) accountability is important as is letting them know their options small claims if not happy.

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Hi Elves although I have only one property, the tenants wanted 3 things fixed in the week before Christmas. (Sprinklers broken, light not working, door jammed) and I have told my PM that she can handle all the little repairs from now that are costing under $200 and not even ring me about it. As long as they are repairs (not improvements).
    If it’s broken, it needs to be fixed, it’s the tenants right to have repairs done for them, privilage of being a tenant I suppose.[:)]
    I want my tenants to be happy and not frustrated and also I care about my property so I want things to be in a good state of repair. I, myself wouldn’t like it either if I had to live with a jammed door, broken light etc.
    It’s much better to keep tenants happy so they’ll sign up for another year, than to have to pay out the letting fee and advertising all over again after the lease ends. I like my tenants and I want them to enjoy staying in my house.[;)]
    There are limits however, I think that I would be boiling if that situation happened to me, with the hot water system [B)][V][:(!] Talk about being difficult!

@elves

Hi All thanks for the advice.

I do have a property manager and they are truly up to the eye balls with this tenant. They told me they will be happy when they go.

Like someone said, if they go.They told the real estate they will be moving. I do have insurance, but I am not about to be a mug for tenants of this nature, but happy to go out of my way for those that are appreciative.

I take on board all comments, and understand I rather have tenants who care for the property, but there is care and there is, I will report it to save my skin- type. The pickers, not genuine tenant problems if this makes sense.

I have had everything fixed with 24 hours of being notified, I have my own tradesman to take care of my properties, but only one is managed through a property agent. The others I manage.(family)

I am happy to keep rent stable for a good tenant. Unfortunately this is not one.

Cheers all.

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

I’ve had some tenants that demand a lot of things. We agreed that at one of them, they could have a power point installed on the balcony (I didn’t really want it – but they demanded it for their tank for their turtle or something) but my brother had to do it.

We installed one, and then they cracked the s***s and refused to pay cos it wasn’t where they wanted it. i wouldn’t agree to one anywhere else, but apparently they went and installed one anyway. They’ve since demanded deadlocks – it’s a secure complex, with locks on all doors and windows – cos the garages were broken into. I just said no way.

Another tenant wants to install an alarm – AND they will leave it behind when they go!

Another one also demanded deadlocks – but as they are paying $60 less than market rent, and therefore heavily -ve geared, I just said that I cannot afford to do this at this time. It’s a similar unit to the one above. The agent and I agreed that if they really wanted deadlocks on the balcony door, they could install them themselves. I don’t know if they have.

I still sent these guys movie tickets at Christmas though – aren’t i a sucker![:X]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by kay henry:

sis, if you try to take bond money out of bond money- for the window, for example, when you (the owner) have agreed to pay for it, you will be taken to the Residential Tenancy Tribunal, and the tenants will win. For a guy who owns 13 IP’s, you have an interesting perspective on how you are able to use bond moneys. elves propbably need not have fixed the window at her own expense, but given that she did, you can’t just go around taking people’s bond money willy-nilly- sheesh.

kay henry

Kay Henry

Was my understanding reading this post that elves “hadn’t” paid for the window or claimed on insurance ( – Refused was the word used ) and S.I.S said “when the tenants depart” get the money out of the bond, i see no problems here as if you don’t get the money from the bond you’re going to be out of pocket, to the excess anyway.

You don’t want to start claiming on your insurance “willy-nilly”, if taking care of the lawns is part of the rental agreement ( and usually it is ) why should you, the owner, bear the costs of replacing the window, affecting your future claims also..

Having said that… at least the tenant admitted liability, could’ve said ” some kids must’ve chucked a rock at the window, it was like that when we came home”

Elves.. see what happens at the end of the tenancy, they may suprise you and want to stay, some people are born complainers, but happy in thier misery [:D]

REDWING

“The man that thinks at 5o as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of his life”

@elves

You are right, I did refuse to pay for the broken window, and I have no intention of claiming on insurances for no reason.

Yes they could have told an untruth, I guess that was a good thing that they didn’t.

As you say, I will wait until tenancy end…I am now waiting on fireworks for the last water usage….yowch!

Thanks to all who replied. Cheers

Lynn

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.