All Topics / Heads Up! / “The Investors Club”

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 70 total)
  • Profile photo of FibejebeFibejebe
    @fibejebe

This message below got swamped in a thread about Perth investors and with Melbears permission I have cut and pasted it to it’s own thread. I am wondering if anyone else here has first hand experience with Kevin Young’s investors club? My husband thinks they are the bees knees. I have been to a few of their evening meetings and 1 all day seminar. Kinda reminds me a bit of my Amway days with the hype and ra-ra-ra. ‘Tho a healthy dose of motivation regularly is what keeps us going I guess.

Their investing philosophy appears sound. I do not like the idea of spending my retirement days on borrowed money tho. I would be wanting to reduce my debt closer to retirement rather than increase it.

Any comments?
    Fibejebe.

Melbear wrote:

quote:

Fibejebe, they ALWAYS mention how their services are ‘free’ right?

Well, with the three properties we bought, they recommended we go to Westpac for the loans. Westpac got them all valued, and every one came in at about 10-20K less than purchase price (on prices of $178-190K). This seriously killed how much we could borrow, and they wouldn’t even look at giving us extra money on my partner’s free and clear home.

So we ended up going to St George, who were happy to give us the loans (80% on IP, with LOC from PPOR funding balance) on purchase price only.

We bought in good locations in Brisbane in 2000/2001. By the end of last year, we were lucky to be $10K above purchase price for any of them – some came it at PP.

When we saw the settlement statement, where we saw the disbursements, we saw that Lisson (KY’s private company) was paid somewhere around $10-12K (can’t remember the exact figures now). I accept that they would get some money – acting as the ‘agent’ but $10K is the commission we recently paid on the sale of a $390K house.

My bank manager also mentioned recently that – before they set up their own ‘inhouse’ finance – he did the finance for the branch manager here, and he said that she certainly didn’t make her money from her investments, it was her income as Branch Manager that was quite substantial. Again, I don’t begrudge her, she was awesome to deal with (and has since left to join Wise – founding member), but it’s just little things like that that have all added up to a bad taste in my mouth.

I would definitely recommend you contacting RE’s in the area, and perhaps an independent valuer before going too far ahead with it.

Cheers
    Mel

Other threads on this topic:

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3199

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2137

Profile photo of LLJackLLJack
    @lljack

hi Fibejebe,

i have invested through the club on three occassions. first time in 2000 (2xunits bris) and just recently may 2003 (1x t/hse gold coast). i too was a member of amway-many moons ago. my wife too believes it reminds her of amway however, i am looking at the big picture.
    my pp has performed well for me with slight +tive cf and terrific capital gains.
    i would recommend the club.
    however on the other hand, i have recently finished reading Steve,s book and looking to a slightly different pp strategy.
    i can never get enough info on property investing.

LLJack

Profile photo of FibejebeFibejebe
    @fibejebe

Thanks for your comments LLJack.
    I have seen very little first hand negativity with regards the Investors Club and Kevin Young. I guess like everything, do your homework!! I have met Kevin, and he seemed a genuine kinda bloke.
    Fibejebe.

Profile photo of Rebecca1Rebecca1
    @rebecca1

This is one group you’d better be absolutely sure you do your homework on before you part with a cent.

The line “never sell” is a great way to cover the fact that you never know you have paid too much.

Be careful, be very careful.

Bec

Profile photo of chefmanchefman
    Participant
    @chefman

We also had some dealings with the club but only bought 2 thru them. Lot of hype ans many ego’s thru out their system and we did okay in the investment side of things but we felt we could do it better ourselves as we were then more in control. kevin Young decent guy but team going down the ladder not to good as they always felt that they knew best and you knew nothing. When we picked an area that we felt would go and give us the return we were after they reckon i had flipped well yes but that happened years ago! We are very happy with what we got and to this day they havent gone into that area but i think that is because agent’s dont like dealing with them. Have noticed on their website they have changed tact on what they now go after compared to a few years ago so would be careful. like all forums such as this one you pick the eye’s out of all and apply to suit your needs as they all have something to offer. I to have read the book and like most others found it fantastic but wheather we do some of those things only time will tell.

Profile photo of spider2spider2
    @spider2

The Investor’s club recommend borrowing against your property in retirement. Steve recommends against this in is book and I am in agreeance. You are borrowing against future (and unpredictable) capital gains.

Spider

Profile photo of liverpoolharrykliverpoolharryk
    @liverpoolharryk

Make sure you do your own home work on the TRUE value of the property before purchasing. Remember the Investors club and clubs alike will only ever show you what they have to offer. I do know they charge well above what Real Estate Agents charge for selling them, and don’t believe them when they say ‘because we are buying direct from the developer we are getting a cut price deal’ The developers want a price whether it comes from Kevin Young or an Agent. If you go through an agent you will probably find you can get yourself a better deal. Why do you think the developers sell through Kenvin Young and the likes.

Yes people have got some good GC over the last few years, tell me someone who has’nt. What about the people who bought through him in 97 and then had to sell 2/3 years after purchase, ask them what they got for their property! I have herd of some big loses 10k +. Buy and hold is a sure way to get GC if you buy and hold, but remember the what if!

@fibejebe

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Bec: Do you have first hand experience with the club or know anyone who has, in order for you to make the comment “be careful. Be very careful.”

Chefman: I know where you are coming from when you mention hype. I think there are many investors on this board who have been through one, two, three or more different MLM opportunities. Hey, we are here because we want to be rich. We have tried everything. We don’t just sit on our butts hoping to win lotto. We are go-getters. For myself, I sat at silver producer in Amway and watched my business fall around me because to achieve silver I overtook my upline. Despite the fact that I had my directs and pearls tell me this was OK, I learnt that blood is thicker than water. When your sponsor is your brother in law, do not overtake them. They help you get there. They can also destroy your downline. So here we are. Now looking to make money on our own. Not reliant on anyone elses effort. Motivation is good. Hype is a pain in the butt. And KY mimics the MLM hype. Haven’t we all heard it before?? Do we really need to hear it again?

Spider: I agree. I do not go with that borrow your life savings away in retirement stuff.

LiverpoolHarry: Mate. I hear you loud and clear. Get an independant valuation.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated.
    Fibejebe.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I beleive that borrowing your equity to live on can be a good idea. You must have many properties and only borrow a low percentage of the growth tho. As long as your portfolio is growing faster than you are spending it, it should be ok. I would rather see someone do this than selling a property to access the funds.

BTW, I know someone doing this at the moment with one property! Not good.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

terryW

Is this where (eg)a retired couple borrow against thier equity to provide for thier retirement/ new car/etc.. just thinking about this as i think a recently retired relative may be doing this on thier PPOR

The bank effectively starts ‘getting your property’ back don’t they ? unsure.. as i know nothingabout this subject, but think the relative may be making a bad move.. not that; its really my business, but the mechanics of it interest me too..

REDWING

@rebecca1

If you go to the Newstext site and type in Kevin Young, you will find several articles which will give you a true picture of the Investors Club.

Also, if you go to the ASIC site, you should be able to get some info.

Here is the start of just one article –

THE Investors Club, a lucrative business run by a Gold Coast real estate mogul who travels Australia signing up Mum and Dad investors for multiple properties, is under “intensive investigation” by both ASIC and the Office of Fair Trading. Investigations across the country have so far revealed that the business may be in breach of several laws including the Crimes Act,

Obviously, for copyright reasons, it would not be right to post the entire article here. Pay your dollar and read it all for yourself on the Newstext site.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Cheers

Bec

Profile photo of LLJackLLJack
    @lljack

Bec: I am a registered client with real estate.com alert to inform of values of properties in the vicinity of potetial purchases.
    I always do my own research as I am always sceptical with parting with my hard earned cash with any type of investment.
    Secondly, I have the understanding, ASIC could not find any problem with investors club for the exception of their JV club and no tenant insurance. Problem here, both structures had to be registered.
    And by the way, how old is the statement from ASIC if you don’t mind me asking?
    LLJack

@rebecca1

Dear LLJack

Sounds to me like you didn’t spend your dollar and check the Newstext site. As for ASIC, you may recall that Henry Kaye claimed ASIC had given him a clean bill of health. And then – kapow!

As a client of the Investors Club, you have a psychological need to justify and protect your decision. I understand.

All I am saying is that anyone thinking of dealing with Mr Young needs to know a bit more about how his so-called “club” operates. For you, it’s too late; for others there’s still time.

Here’s a prediction for the New Year. Mr Young and his “club” are going to be more widely known this year. Take the hint those of you who are not involved with Mr Young.

Stay safe.

Bec

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Rebecca,

HK came unstuck in a big way because, after an ASIC investigation that didn’t come up with any dirt, he advertised that he was “ASIC Approved” to try and get more people to his seminar.

This, of course, was a stupid play on words and in fact was the ammunition ASIC needed to bring him unstuck. He was made to refund people who attended (or signed up to attend) his courses on the basis of it being ASIC approved.

Indeed, what then happened was a stack of bad press so anyone who had a change of mind about forking out a stack of cash relied on the ASIC refund demand.

Alas for HK, he presumably was running a show that paid for today’s expenses out of tomorrow’s income (seminar in advance revenue) and when people wanted refunds, the white elephant finally died after a death of 1,000 cuts.

It goes just to show that you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

@fibejebe

Bec,
    Thanks for your comments. I went to the Newstext site and typed “kevin young” in the searches (national, QLD, NSW etc) and it kept returning No articles found. Please enter another search. What am I doing wrong? Can you give me a bigger hint by actually naming the newspaper that has the reports on KY? So far, I am drawing a blank. Couldn’t even find where to spend my dollar. LOL.

I have checked out the ASIC report that you mention (it is reproduced in one of the links I gave in my first message on this thread) and (like LLJack) I was under the impression that it had been investigated and it was just the insurance thing should the property be vacant for any period.

Your comment for LLJack as far as him having “a psychological need to justify and protect your decision. I understand.” You may understand that, but I don’t. For ourselves, we are only at the EOI stage. Despite your warnings of dire consequence should we proceed, you have failed to provide me with any factual information as to why we shouldn’t. I do not have any psychological need to justify anything. And for me, this is not about my emotional mind, but my rational mind wanting answers. As mentioned, we will do our DD as far as independant valuation etc etc, prior to going ahead with it. This thread is part of that DD in asking whether others have had dealings with KY.

I have even searched Neil Jenmans site to see what he has to say, and thus far a big nothing. I am sure he would be flapping his gums if he believed there was a problem with KY.

Your new year prediction intrigues me. Is it just a hunch?

Fibejebe.

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Sorry Fibejebe to go off track, but I have read the Administrators report into the ‘collapse’ of NII, and in fact there was no such thing.

NII was the biggest ‘cash cow’ in the world. It had lent money $29.5M (to HK’s ‘Property Corporate Services P/L) -unsecured, and $6M (to HK’s Group Corporate Services P/L) -secured. Even when HK called the administrators in, it had just transferred $417K between June and Nov 03 to PCS, so it only had about $6K in the bank.

NII P/L owed $12m to NII Group Holdings Pty Ltd (also HK’s) – secured. I think this company, ie Henry himself, called in the debt to avoid paying the refunds to people who were claiming they had been sold ‘ASIC Approved’. I doubt he thought that it would go this far, but I still believe he will walk away relatively unscathed. Contrary to popular belief, there was not a ‘lot’ of advertising based on ‘ASIC approval’.

The biggest ‘undoing’ was when the ACCC got involved over his millionaire challenge – which I thought was interesting when it was at a similar time to Steve’s challenge.

Cheers
    Mel

@melbear

Fibejebe, as long as you do your own DD, and everything still stacks up on the property – including rentals, and what other units are selling for, then you should be fine.

That’s what it boils down to I guess, and if it all works then your ‘spotters’ get their fee. I do think it’s a tad high for the Investors Club, (and don’t really appreciate their non discolusre) but if the price is still good, and the developer is willing to pay them that much, then that’s really his choice.

Cheers
    Mel

@fibejebe

quote:

…if it all works then your ‘spotters’ get their fee. I do think it’s a tad high for the Investors Club, (and don’t really appreciate their non discolusre)
    Cheers
    Mel

Guess it happens in any deal tho doesn’t it? My most recent PPOR was in a block of 14 townhouses. 10 of us paid 290K to 330K each and the 4 developers paid 150K each and got the pick of the uints. We subsidised them over 600K (150K each.) Between the 10 of us, that’s 60K added to our initial price isn’t it? That’s business!! And one of these days when I am a developer someone will be subsidising my investments.
    [:D]

@melbear

quote:

Guess it happens in any deal tho doesn’t it? … 10 of us paid 290K to 330K each and the 4 developers paid 150K each and got the pick of the uints. We subsidised them over 600K (150K each.) Between the 10 of us, that’s 60K added to our initial price isn’t it?

Perhaps this is a. why they develop, or b. the way they wish to take their profit, rather than cash in hand. I think there were some excellent tax advantages doing it this way (although I believe the rules have now been changed so they would be taxed on the place as if they sold it anyway). So your prices were fair, and they used their profits to acquire ‘cheaper’ units for themselves.

You’re right about the same happening in most deals. I guess it just grated that they can’t be upfront, and say, we get $x so that we can provide all these services to our club members, and the Support Members and the Branch Managers etc. all get $x from each deal that they introduce – a ‘paypacket’ for their time for want of a better description.

It reminded me a bit much of the two tier marketing scam that I got hit with in the early 90’s – to see how much the ‘introducer’ got at settlement was staggering also.

If you look at it closely, I reckon they would make handsome money from their ‘in house’ mortgage business, they get the ‘commission’ from the developers, what sort of ‘kickback’ comes from their ‘preferred’ PMs?, QSs, Solicitors etc.?

Cheers
    Mel

@rebecca1

To Fibejebe

The articles are in The Courier Mail. The journalists who wrote them are all top notch.

Cheers

Bec

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.