All Topics / Hotch Potch / Money for Time

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of FutureFuture
    @future

Hi All,

I’m getting married in a few months and eventually will start a family. I am very interested in becoming a successful property investor (positive cash flow – have 1 only).
    When we have children, I want to nurture them and see them grow – I don’t want to miss their milestones. So for me money is time. I want to develop my portfolio in order to achieve my goal.

Many of you are at different stages – what advice can you offer me?

Future$ [:)]

Profile photo of HueyHuey
    Participant
    @huey

Hi Future$,

As your pofolio grows you will be busier.

I think you can’t have both unless you delay having kids for at least 15 years. Ask yourself that you want more time with your kids when they are young or you want a better $ life for them when they grow up.

Others may think differently.

Good luck.

Huey

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi all

future$, good question as many of us feel is way, i’m 39yrs old and my youngest is 3 so it’s always in my mind.
    Huey has a point, the more properties you have the more time it consumes, the more properties the more headaches.
    i started in 1997 and it’s been like another job (but i’ve enjoyed the ride) but NOW i’m fortunate i can call it quits on working (resigned already finish on Dec 19th.), it’s a difficult call for you but i’d consider buying cash pos. properties that you can do cosmetic work to and add value.
    it realy will mean a sacrifice of time , money and energy now for future reward (delayed gratification).
    is now the time to be buying ???
    i’d buy carefully
    all the best westan

Profile photo of FutureFuture
    @future

Thanks so much guys.
    I really appreciate your advice. I like the idea of positive cash flow properties, but you’re right- is now the time to buy – not just yet -too overinflated!

As for delaying having kids for 15 years – well that would make me 48 and and the biological clock would be running out of batteries!

I guess careful research and common sense will be useful. Thanks again for your voice of advice.
    Cheers.[:D]

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Hi Future$

Yet another thing to consider is the type of parental influences you want your kids to have.

If they come into the world once you are wealthy, they may not observe you scrimping and saving during their youth.

There is a risk of them: a. turning out spoilt brats who don’t move out until age 30, b. continually asking mum and dad for money, c. with a belief that money comes from trees, d. valuing immediate gratification over long-term investing, e. having less personal initiative, and f. going for ‘safe’ jobs rather than entrepeneurship.

There’s the old saying ‘from shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations’.

On the other hand if you have kids earlier (ie while you’re early on your wealth journey), and they have their early childhood years during a time when you’re secure enought to afford just the basics and not much else, and they’ll be old enough to remember how things were before you became wealthy.

From this maybe they’ll pick up more positive values from you, eg self-reliance, saving money, deferring gratification, spending wisely, taking measured risks, working towards a goal, appropriate use of debt, etc. No need for sermons and lectures – just simple observation should be enough.

And these will not be hollow – the child will have observed first hand the improvements that a positive mindset backed by action can bring. This is surely equally valuable to what’s learnt as school.

Though it can never be tested, my own view is that had my parents stayed together (and my childhood living standard been higher than it was) I might not have saved/invested as vigorously as I have and I’d have been worse off!

Regards, Peter

@future

Hi PeterP,
    Thankyou so much for your indepth response to my question. You have obviously thought seriously about my situation, as a teacher by profession I can see the value of modelling positive behaviours, so it makes sense for them to see what it’s all about. My dad is a builder’s labourer and has worked very hard all his life. We never were “rich” financially but we never missed out on anyting either. We are “rich” in other ways.
    Cheers. Thanks for for the food for thought![:)]
    FutureS

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Hi Future$
    It’s perfectly possible to build a property portfolio with small kids, mine are 6 and 2 and I started not long after the first one was born on my passion for investing, so they’ve been through all the stages! I find that they are incredibly adaptable, and actually enjoy it in a lot of ways. I know that hubby is being retrenched shortly, and won’t need to go and get another full time, stress filled job thanks to where we are in our investing journey. What’s the value of the time he can now spend with our kids? Priceless…

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of sunshinesunshine
    @sunshine

Hi. I was surprised by Hueys reply. 15 years is waaaay too long.
    The numbers of infertile couples has increased markedly in the last decade (this is my field of work) and one of the reasons for this is that we are having our kids way after the peak fertility time for women – which is early twenties.
    It is possible to do both with having the right attitude (excellent reply peterp) and allowing time for each. I would much rather be home all day with a headache over all my investment properties than coming through the door at 6pm tired and then having to have time with the kids. You can do anything with kids. I took my 7 year old backpacking through europe , everyone thought I was mad but I wanted to see europe before I got too old and of course would never have left my child behind and it was the highlight of my life. Now ten, my daughter comes with me on property inspections, talks about the ‘value’ of a property and can weild a hammer and screwdriver pretty well. She is all excited about a renovation coming up (of course safety is paramount) but I can see that all this is making her into an extremely adaptable and buisiness oriented young thing. So my advice is don’t put anything on hold, go with it, go with the flow and enjoy the ride.
    cheers.

@future

Thanks FW and Sunshine,
    You’re right, kids ARE adaptable and I certainly see nothing wrong with children learning about investments etc from an early age. I know that is one thing missing from most schools curriculum. We teach children how to add, subtract money etc but not to get it to work for them. I’ve done some of this in my primary classrooms – looking at investing in property for example. It’s so interesting hearing their responses to what they’d do with a gift of (say) $100. Most spend it on clothes, toys or lollies (yep all on lollies), but you get one or two saying they’ll save it to buy a house.
    Yep, I believe tat I need to now get my act into full steam ahead. I’m getting married in about 2 months, kids (if healthy and lucky) will follow a bit later on. I know I can teach a classroom full of about 30+ kids, so I guess I shouldn’t be scared of one little one! How exciting – I have incentive now. Cheers to all!
    Future$
    [:D]

@peterp

Future$ wrote:

‘You’re right, kids ARE adaptable and I certainly see nothing wrong with children learning about investments etc from an early age.’

The most important would be the very simple parental utterances when shopping. The three that dominated my childhood were:

1. ‘we can’t afford that’
    2. ‘we don’t need that’
    3. ‘it was cheap so I bought it’

These were all influential, though I’ve changed my attitude on some of them since.

In relation to ‘we can’t afford that’, the financial motivation books all tell you to change your thinking to ask ‘how can we afford it?’.

I still don’t like that because I’d rather firstly ask ‘is it really necessary?’. Steve gets at that in his ‘WEALTH’ appendix.

My criticisms of ‘it was cheap because I bought it’ is that if it doesn’t save time, money or deliver some other benefit then it’s no bargain, no matter how ‘cheap’. Also I’d rather have one of something that works well than a pile of 5 (bought cheaply no doubt) that don’t!

These days I think ‘value for money’ rather than ‘cheapness’.

Though this comes right out the bludging-smoking-sobstory-dole-recipient book (as sensationalised on TV), I was also exposed to parental criticism of what silly junk other people put into their shopping trolleys.

The hidden message was that ‘we were different’.
    And we had to be to pay off the mortgage on the income being received.

The main weakness was that all of the above continually repeated maxims concerned spending money (and by implication saving it) rather than making it or developing passive income.

In this it sometimes comes as a revelation, even when you have a relative who has done it (for example, start a business, buy the land, sell the business, keep the land, draw rent from the land). For ages you are aware of some individual things he’s done, but you miss the overall strategy or the idea of developing streams of passive income.

Regards, Peter

Profile photo of Fudge111Broz00Fudge111Broz00
    Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Hi Guys,

Broz and I are 20 years old and we plan to have kids at around 28, so we have 8 years to get a solid base behind us before kids come into the equation.

We are planning to live very basic for those 8 years so that we can pour as much income into our investments as possible, we are lucky that we both enjoy the simple things in life, so we will have no problem surviving on minimal amounts of money for a while, we know it will pay off in the end.

Steve had to use alot of income from his accounting firm to source his investments early, there is no other way to do it at the start so it just depends how well you can live on small amounts of income

Fudge111[8)][:)]

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi Peterp, If they come into the world once you are wealthy, they may not observe you scrimping and saving during their youth”.

There is a risk of them: a. turning out spoilt brats who don’t move out until age 30, b. continually asking mum and dad for money, c. with a belief that money comes from trees, d. valuing immediate gratification over long-term investing, e. having less personal initiative, and f. going for ‘safe’ jobs rather than entrepeneurship.

There appears to be a basic assumption here that children born to wealthy parents are spoon fed and do not know the true value of money. My family was listed in the top 100 families in Australia and Who’s and who. I received my first bicycle at the grand old age of 14, before this I walked to school everyday approx 3K’s. I did household chores even though we had domestics and never received pocket money. The only money ever obtained was earned through extra chores.

Future$, only you know how you will bring up your children. It doesn’t matter whether your wealthy or poor, young or old.

Sunshine, Yes infertility is getting higher and there is research to suggest links with age, but you are dwelling on negativity. It doesn’t matter how old you are when you have children. There is research that suggests if you are younger you can contribute more in a physical lifestyle whilst maintaining a closer generation gap. Other research on the other hand suggest older parents are able to spend more time and help children develop more intellectually. The best thing about research and theory is that there are always opposing sides. The same can be said about investing.

C2
    Is it true the more you owe the more you grow until the bank steps in?”

Profile photo of HueyHuey
    Participant
    @huey

Hi All,

$Futures already has 1 IP. He just builds up his wealth when he can find another good one. By planning well & safe he can have great time with his children at the same time with investing. There are many good ideas from Peter, Sunshine, Westen … that I also learn from & appreciate.

I just picked that number 15 from a pine tree! I love the tall pine trees behind my house. What I mean is anyone starts now it will take much longer than 3 years to build up a good portfolio. It would be different if we started a few years ago. In this current market we are facing 2 big hurdles : (1) prices are too high, (2) we are all doing the same thing & Steve keeps reminding us in his motto ”Remember that success comes from doing things differently”. Of course there are still some good properties out there but it’s harder to find & requires much more time. With interest rate is on the way up there are more worries if we borrow a bit too much….. all of that & a long day at work I wonder how much time we have left for our family. If we determine to do so and ride through the hard time it’s fine but if we want to nurture our children and see them grow we should be careful and plan well.

If you plan to have 130 IPs, when you have 130 IPs will you stop and will you be happy? I see around me many people can not stop work & enjoy life after they have what they used to dream to have and quite a few ended up as a millionaire with a terminal illness. So to me it’s important to define what we want in our life. We have 3 parts: ourselves, family (+ other people we know) & career. Happiness comes from a good balance of those 3. I made many mistakes before I realize this fact.

Peter’s post really makes me think. It makes sense. I’m the eldest of 10 children. We are so different but our personality can be mapped into different stages of my father’s life. I still try to figure out what, how & why. It’s funny that I want my children to be strong but I over protect them & have to say – badly. I want them to have a good life but often tell there are other more important things in life than money. At least now I start talking to them about investing. It’s never too late.

Cheers

Huey

@peterp

Hi C2: It sounds as if your parents were conscious of their success, knew the values and mindset that gave rise to this, and brought you up in such a manner that those values were transferred to you.

Values are probably the biggest gift that a parent could give, and I’m not sure how common it is for parents to think about subconscious values that they may be transferring to their children. But it sounds as if your parents did!

One way to examine the ‘silver spoon theory’ (which I think has some credence, but clearly not for all families) is to look at the proportion of millonaires who inherited most or all of their wealth.

If this proportion is high, then families are generally good at preserving and transmitting wealth down the generations. On the other hand, if most millionaires are self-made it indicates that inheritance is less a factor.

Page 7 of ‘The Millionaire Mind’ by Thomas Stanley says that 61% of (US) millionaires never recieved any inheritance. Less than 8% inherited 50% or more of their net wealth.

This does not quite imply that millionaire families of the past have had children who’ve frittered away their family fortune, though it is consistent with it.

However given that the early settlers & graziers have had more opportunities to buy cheap land (both agricultural and near cities) than did subsequent migrants, and would have had the benefit of 200 years of compounding wealth, you’d expect that the descendents of these early settlers would be rolling in money. Some may be, but many aren’t. Also a large proportion of Australia’s wealthy are migrants who started with little.

(The Millionaire Next Door goes to some length on this point in the US context)

To really answer whether families are an efficient means of maintaining and transferring wealth down the generations (thus debunking the silver spoon theory) would mean looking at Australia’s richest 200 families 30, 60, 90, 120 and 150 years ago and looking at where their descendents are today.

I confess that I would be somewhat gladdened if most turn out to be ordinary middle-class people as it implies more social mobility and less entrenched privilege.

Does anyone know of any Australian scholarship on this? It might make interesting reading!

Regards, Peter

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi Peter,

I haven’t read The Millionaire Next Door. The stats about the US millionaires is interesting. If you take wealthy parents with 2-3 siblings and then you divide the wealth by the siblings this is substantially less than the parents. Also I think you will find that most children from wealthy parents don’t try to emulate what their parents did and are happier off with less wealth.

It would be interesting to look at a reversal of this situation and see how many children from bankrupt parents became bankrupt themselves. I believe that the current trend of solvency is increasing and more people are becoming bankrupt.

BTW Future$ when is the big day?

C2

Profile photo of sunshinesunshine
    @sunshine

Hi C2,

You missed my point re age of parents. Im not referring to the age gap and parenting styles but in view of planning family and investments it is important to look at the fact that putting children off to late thirties,early forties which is common now, you may miss the boat alltogether.

IVF (now very commonplace) costs a small fortune, takes time and I hear everyday couples saying ‘if only we had started earlier’, to many it makes all the income in the world pointless.

So my point was, in planning long term investment strategies that include the time frame of having children, to be aware that one may come at the cost of the other. Negative perhaps, but in fact I think positive if you consider what I said, I believe you can do ANYTHING and have kids at the same time. Cant get more positive than that!

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

In “The Millionaire Next Door”, the author goes to great length explaining the pattern of 3 generations of wealth.
    You have the 1st generation who create the wealth – they are usually poor entrepeneurs, who start businesses and work like trojans to create the wealth.
    They then want their kids to have everything they missed out on, and so give them everything including a fancy education, so a large percentage of their children become doctors, lawyers etc, with a taste for consumer goods.
    This 2nd generation therefore have a job (not an entrepeneurial mindset) and a lifestyle that sucks up every cent they earn, because they are rabid consumers of goods. This means that they almost always live beyond their income, and the parents often pay for things like the education of the grandkids.
    So for the 3rd generation, they are also brought up to be consumers with fancy jobs – only this time their parents don’t have the spare money to bail them out because they’ve already spent it all themselves.
    End result – the 3rd generation spends every cent they have and more, and ends up broke.
    that’s the gist of it, anyway. This doesn’t happen in every family, of course, there are many that are smart enough to raise their children to have the smarts to go out and make more money (sounds like C2 falls into this category), but it certainly was an extremely common trend amongst US millionaires.
    Fascinating book, by the way!!

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Future,

You are obviously thinking of your children in relation to your investing, and others have picked up on that thread, so I’ll make a comment in that vein also.

I don’t have children- but I was one once! Your children will learn from what they see you doing. They’ll see how you treat your fellow man and woman when you invest in property. They’ll learn a lot from you if they hear you say “god, that old pensioner has no idea what his property was worth- I just made a 30K profit!” It just depends on what you want them to learn about investing.

Whatever they learn from your example though, can be neither here nor there at the end of the day- they’ll either follow your lead or rebel! [8)]

kay henry

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi Sunshine,

Sorry, in which way may you miss the boat alltogether [altogether]? I still don’t see why waiting means you may miss out. If you mean not being able to have children there are other alternatives outside IVF. In regards to travelling around with your child backpacking through Europe. I plan on doing that in OZ after I have my investments sorted out in the next few years. I’m leaving it rather late in your eyes, but I like the idea of being able to spend everyday for the next 20 years travelling with my future children and not just a few months travelling.

I’ve mentioned previously that I haven’t read the book and I’m trying to get hold of it. What I do know is that the writers of books always have a purpose and so do people doing research. It would be difficult to sell a book to poor people about making millions if you espouse the theory that you have to be rich to make money. Research stats can easily be manipulated to suit the research.

Kay Henry,

I think you’ve got it in a nut shell with your comment about what your child would learn if they heard about the 30K profit, but in reality how many investors out there would really care about the pensioner. Then again should it matter whether it’s a pensioner, bankruptee or developer? Don’t they all deserve a fair price?

C2

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

C2 said:

Kay Henry,
    I think you’ve got it in a nut shell with your comment about what your child would learn if they heard about the 30K profit, but in reality how many investors out there would really care about the pensioner. Then again should it matter whether it’s a pensioner, bankruptee or developer? Don’t they all deserve a fair price?
    C2

C2- funnily enough, some investors do care about pensioners. Life isn’t just about making money- at any cost- for all of us. It scares me to think about the “reality” that some people *wouldn’t* care about the more vulnerable in life. Property investment does not have to be about exploitation. It can be an interesting pasttime when one is procrastinating at work :o)

kay henry

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Money for Time’ is closed to new replies.