All Topics / Help Needed! / Help with maximising tax

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of VickVick
    Participant
    @vick7870

Hi

Wondering if someone can provide advise.

I am in a situation where I have 2 properties:

– One investment (apprx. 550K) with Bank A
    – One PPOR (apprx. 300K) with Bank B

I will be moving to the investment property next year which will become my future PPOR. My current PPOR with low loan will be investment.

Both my loans are with different banks. The issue is that I will be paying more tax since my future investment property above will have lower loan so less tax claim. Before I make the above switch of moving into the investment property, am I able to re-finance my current PPOR loan to the same bank where my current investment (higher) loan is. Then, re-structure the loan so that higher loan (550K) can be designated as investment loan (even though it will be my future PPOR) for tax purposes and lower loan as PPOR to maximise tax benefits.

My ultimate goal is to be able to claim maximum tax savings and less loss.

I am not even sure if this is allowed and if this is the right way.

Thanks

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Vick,
    You asked this three months ago, and received a very comprehensive answer at the time. Of special interest is the link that Terryw provided you in one of his answers to you.

Can I recommend you go back and re-read the topic :-
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/5037777-asdvise-re-ppor-and-ip-loan-structure/

… and pay special attention to the link in Terry’s reply. In there, he outlines some thoughts re what you might choose to do.

This is unfortunately quite a common occurrence – where a PPOR has had its mortgage all but paid off, and a home-owner then wants to move to another PPOR and keep the old one as an IP. For your future use, DO learn about Offset Accounts and the good they can do you into the future (e.g. who knows, your NEW PPOR might also become an IP in ten years time ….)

My thoughts would be to look at the PPOR (the one you are thinking will become an IP) and run the numbers from two sides – i.e. cost of selling up, or retaining. In selling, you get to keep all of the Equity built up (with no CGT to pay). But there other selling costs that you need to be aware of. What if you sold, maximised your cash, allowing you to put a huge deposit down on your new PPOR, then borrowed against the new PPOR to buy another investment property? That new loan against your new PPOR is then deductible !!

Then again, it could be that the old PPOR CAN become an IP, using its Equity to buy further IP’s, and by borrowing against it to pay its own expenses, etc. Even though it means paying a bit more Tax right now, that may well be offset by any likely Equity jumps. e.g. if it is costing you $2k per year in extra Tax, but it is increasing in value by $20k each year, is that a good trade-off in your eyes? And each time you borrow against it to buy another investment, that new mortgage would likely be tax deductible, thus less cashflow and less tax to pay. Can that work for you – over time?

Terry had commented in that other topic that it is the “purpose of the loan that denotes deductibility, not the asset itself”. What that means is this – simply the act of borrowing against an Investment Property DOES NOT make a new mortgage deductible. It is the purpose that is deductible or not. i.e. what is the loan for?

As an example, if you borrow against the IP (your old PPOR) to pay down the mortgage on your new PPOR, the “purpose of the loan” is to pay a personal debt, not an investment debt – thus that new mortgage would not likely be deductible.

Hope that helps,

Benny

PS Do get a valuation of your current IP prior to making it your PPOR. That is to assign a value in the present day to help in providing its Cost Base when paying CGT way in the future when you finally sell it. CHeck all that with your favourite accountant type.

PPS I’m not an adviser, so usual disclaimers apply!! This is simply my opinion, to get the wheels turning.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Your heading says you want to maximise tax. Thanks for trying to pay more tax!

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of VickVick
    Participant
    @vick7870

Terry – Thanks for pointing me to the incorrect heading. It was an oversight. Naturally, it should have said minimizing tax which the body of my message should. Thanks again.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Vick Vick.
    Profile photo of VickVick
    Participant
    @vick7870

Thanks Benny for your advise and apologies I thought my earlier question was in someway different since I wasn’t asking for re-structuring of existing loan with existing bank. Anyways, thanks for your current detailed advise. I will see what I can do.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.