All Topics / Finance / Home Loan v Investment Loan

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of propertyboypropertyboy
    Participant
    @propertyboy

Hi all,

When I purchased my principal place of residence the lender had set it up as an investment loan. I have been told lending managers were doing this unbeknown to customers so that the loans could get approval as the rental income could be used to support additional debt levels.

Until recently this was not an issue as a higher rate was not applicable to investment loans. However, as my bank has now added a rate premium for Investment loans my rate can be reduced as I can convert it to a home loan. I have called up NAB and they have agreed to reduce my rate by 1.1% as it is a loan against my Principal place of residence.

Before I jump at this, are there any implications I should consider?

If I have to relocate for work and I want to rent my flat am I still permitted to do so under this product or do Home Loan products prohibit you from doing so?

I know that in the UK you have to convert the loan to a Buy to Let loan which results in a lower LVR and higher rate.

Do banks undertake any checks or measures to ensure customers with home loans are actually living in the property or are not renting the houses out? Is this something that is prohibited? The NAB customer service assistant outlined if I was to temporarily locate overseas for work I could rent my house and still be on a home loan product. THe only real implication is for negative gearing as interest wil no longer be deductible if you are on a home loan

What about insurance? Could the insurance company reject payout on the grounds that my house is illegally rented out

• This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of propertyboy propertyboy.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of propertyboy propertyboy.
    Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Convert it asap and ask for it to be back dated from when you moved in.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of JaxonJaxon
    Participant
    @jaxona

YES 100% if you break the rules of the contract you would very likely not be covered by the insurer.

In regards to renting it out as your PPOR, I suggest doing the right and ethical thing and telling them, loose ends bite your harder than they are worth.

Jaxon | Jaxon Avery – Financial Adviser
    http://www.jpafinancialservices.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

JPA Financial Services Pty Ltd

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

If you’re living in the property switch your loan to the owner occupied coding – this will reduce your rate significantly.

As per if you move out in the future – the lender will generally not require you to notify them/reassess your debt/make any new application – heck if you call up they will probably not have a clue what to do and just hang up.

When you move out, just make sure you have the appropriate insurance setup for it being an investment property and no longer an principal place of residence.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of propertyboypropertyboy
    Participant
    @propertyboy

I can’t seem to find any wording in the common NAB home loan terms and conditions that outline a home loan products prohibits the temporary leasing of the property or any requirement that it has to be converted to an investment product.

Out of interest, what is stopping all new applications applying for a home loan and then renting flats out after their loan has been funded? Do lenders do any checks? Or is this a common trick lending managers are now adopting to reduce interest rates for clients?

I know in the UK if you don’t convert the loan to a Buy to let (investment loan) you will be in breach of the home loan and insurance policy, effectively meaning your property will not be insured as you will be in breach of the insurance cover.But, I don’t insure the unit as the body corporate insures all the 6 units under the one building and common building cover and Public Indemnity.I know another two units are currently tenanted so I don’t think I will be in breach of the insurance cover as the insurance cover effectively captures both investment and owner occupied risk.

My only issue is, if I decide to refinance later down the track converting it to a home loan may impact my ability to get a larger loan as I will not be able to rely on the rental income. I am willing to take this sacrifice.

Are there any tax implications I am missing? I don’t negatively gear on this property so having it as an investment property doesn’t really impact me anyway.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of propertyboy propertyboy.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of propertyboy propertyboy.
    Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Out of interest, what is stopping all new applications applying for a home loan and then renting flats out after their loan has been funded? Do lenders do any checks? Or is this a common trick lending managers are now adopting to reduce interest rates for clients?

There’s nothing stopping them – but if they do get caught they may be penalised. It’s not common at the moment – but no doubt lenders will become more observant with tracking this into the future.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @propertyboy

What will they be tracking though? As I can’t see where I would be in breach of the standard loan terms. I just read the standard terms and conditions and I can’t seem to find anywhere that states consent to rent is required for a home loan. Maybe they have overlooked this as the terms and conditions were set before the differential in rates were set for investment and home loan products.

Participant
    @jaxona

Well its simple.

If the loan is structured as a owner occupied loan and that’s not your current and legal address they have something to argue in court.

Propertyboy your bringing up a legal issue, better off asking or speaking to a lawyer for exact information and even then it really comes down to the recent court case and what the past has to say in these cases.

Legality is complex and simple, best get real advice as to if this went sour.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @terryw

Jaxon, It would be extremely unlikely that such a matter would worry a bank let alone get to court.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of blackhotelblackhotel
    Participant
    @blackhotel

I currently have 6 home loans that I live in with 6 different banks. I’m not lining the pockets of those friggin banks, they make enough money from me thank you!

Participant
    @jaxona

Ok well maybe I am wrong, I just wonder if there is grounds for them to recoup payments or if this is a legal loophole, I mean the fact they charge more for investment because they can isn’t fair or ethical in my books, but if there is a clause in a contract that puts you at risk for reimbursement from the lendee than I would not risk it personally. but Great to hear its working for you blackhotel. Happy someone is getting a sneaky on the banks haha

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of KingKing
    Participant
    @jaydenwalter

I asked an in-house broker at ANZ about this and they didn’t really have an answer. They basically told me that that ANZ would never follow up with me to check what my intentions are with the property after settlement.

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

If the loan is structured as a owner occupied loan and that’s not your current and legal address they have something to argue in court.

Hmm – that is an interesting thought !! And things in contracts – would have to be quite new wouldn’t they, as it was only APRA swinging its bat that had the Banks charging more for IP loans. All something to do with getting total IP loans below some percentage of all loans (was it 30%?).

So now, if I am a Bank, and you buy a property to live in, then you are charged at Home Loan (lower) rate. Cool – but then you change your mind and make it an IP. I doubt the Bank would worry as your loan is “making up numbers” on the Homeowner side. That means the Bank may be able to make another IP loan to someone else without flopping over that 30% mark perhaps. Your loan is therefore in the “goodness” pile. You are helping the Bank !! :)

I’m also picking they wouldn’t be chasing you. But then, I havent seen any new contracts written since that change earlier this year – are there any clauses in there re this? Ones that could bite?

I dunno…..

Benny

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Hmm – that is an interesting thought !! And things in contracts – would have to be quite new wouldn’t they, as it was only APRA swinging its bat that had the Banks charging more for IP loans. All something to do with getting total IP loans below some percentage of all loans (was it 30%?).
    So now, if I am a Bank, and you buy a property to live in, then you are charged at Home Loan (lower) rate. Cool – but then you change your mind and make it an IP. I doubt the Bank would worry as your loan is “making up numbers” on the Homeowner side. That means the Bank may be able to make another IP loan to someone else without flopping over that 30% mark perhaps. Your loan is therefore in the “goodness” pile. You are helping the Bank !! :)
    I’m also picking they wouldn’t be chasing you. But then, I havent seen any new contracts written since that change earlier this year – are there any clauses in there re this? Ones that could bite?
    I dunno…..
    Benny

Just a quick one Benny – you’ve got the general right idea why banks aren’t too worried about this. (besides the fact it would be an immense adminstrative burden to keep trying to get the right ownership type up to date for millions upon millions of loans) But the 30% cap is for amount of new interest only loans being written, not investment loans in general. There’s also the 10% year on year growth cap on investment lending which lenders have to abide to.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Corey,

Thanks for the extra words around all this.

My mind ran away with this comment of yours:-

besides the fact it would be an immense adminstrative burden to keep trying to get the right ownership type up to date for millions upon millions of loans

Hehe – yeah, forget “Too Hard Basket” – their “basket” would have to be the size of an Olympic Swimming Pool !!

;)

Benny

Participant
    @propertyboy

Ok guys, just read the terms and conditions in detail.

If you are on a Home Loan product, turns out you need consent from your lender to rent it out (big 4 bank). They cant unreasonably withold providing such consent. I have moved back into my PPOR but may need to move out again on sort notice. So I have decided to keep the mortgage as Investment to avoid hassles in the future with consents etc – not worth the interest I could save to convert

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of propertyboy propertyboy.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of propertyboy propertyboy.
    Participant
    @terryw

Are you sure about that? The ones that I have read have a similar clause, but another clause says you don’t need permission if renting out under a standard residential lease.

Email Me

Participant
    @propertyboy

Seems so

Just looked at CBA’s terms also

https://www.commbank.com.au/content/dam/commbank/personal/apply-online/download-printed-forms/utc-home-loan.pdf

Page 28 (clause 11.2)

and

HL8 page 40

Seem to indicate this to me

I don’t want this burden and am happy to pay more in interest for no headaches down the track

Participant
    @terryw

Looks like you are right:
    =
    HL8. Owner occupation and leasing
    Note:
    This clause does not apply to investment loans.
    HL8.1 Consent to lease
    If we give you the Loan so you can buy or build a home to live in, you must not lease the home without our prior consent
    (see clause 11.2).
    =

Email Me

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.