All Topics / Finance / applying for loan – single applicant or joint?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of akiaki
    Participant
    @roiit86

Hi
    For my first investment should i apply loan on my name or should i apply with my husband as joint just to increase the borrowing power?
    We both are contractors.
    Pls advice
    Thanks
    Akhilla

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Aki,
    Based on the “How long is a piece of string” nature of your question, I would suggest you find a good Mortgage Broker to get your WHOLE financial situation looked at, and arrive at a conclusion after that.

Your question is way too broad to be able to provide any other answer. Your (and your husband’s) goals should come into this whole scenario too. Find a MB on here whose posts seem to “fit” with you, and make contact with them.

Benny

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Akhilla

Your borrowing capacity will not necessarily increase dramatically merely by buying in 1 name or another.

Lenders will in the main assess you jointly and severally responsible for any joint loans i.e your PPOR, credit cards etc and will certainly assess your living allowance accordingly.

The questions should be more based around your investment strategy and what you are wanting to achieve.

If you are looking at building a long term portfolio i would be buying in joint names (assuming your incomes are similar) as you will have more flexibility going forward.

As always choose your lender carefully.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Akhilla,

You have issues of both asset protection and servicing to consider when making this sort of decision. As was mentioned earlier it will not necessarily greatly alter your borrowing capacity to have only one of you. Having said this, you really need advice specific to your current situation and goals. Sorry I can’t be of more immediate assistance.

Regards

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Very much dependent on the specific borrowers financials and scenario. Long term having the partner on loans will assist as it will significantly reduce the living expense calculations – however depending on their income/debts it could also lead to a dramatic increase/decrease.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

For asset protection reasons you wouldn’t want to be liable for someone else’s loan, even a spouses, unless it is absolutely necessary.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.