All Topics / Help Needed! / Bought a house – feeling like I made a mistake

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Suri007Suri007
    Participant
    @suri007

I’ve been looking for an investment property for ages and found one in croydon – big land – 1500sqms for 700k.
    i feel like i got pushed in a way to buy it for way over my budget.
    Is croydon worth that much if it fits 2 townhouses in the back?
    Feeling super anxious and scared :(

• This topic was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Suri007 Suri007.
    Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Suri

Firstly remember that you (i hope) have conditions of sale that offer you possible exits if needs be (eg finance, building & pest, due diligence).

Have you cut some numbers on what the house would be worth if resold on a smaller block of land? (ie if you put the yard on a separate title or titles?), and numbers on constructing additional dwellings in the backyard?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Suri007Suri007
    Participant
    @suri007

i bought at auction so no way out. i have it on good authority if i develop 2 townhouses in the back, i could make around 300-400k from the deal. problem is i bought over my budget and development costs money and is time consuming. i’m not sure how i’ll support the loan and the development for the time it takes. i could subdivide the land. that’s a good idea actually. thanks. but this is all so worrying though :(

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Suri007 Suri007.
    Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Suri,
    What Jacqui has suggested makes a lot of sense, and reminds me of a story Steve tells in relation to his mantra of making money. His aim when investing is to :-
    make the most money
    in the least time
    with the lowest aggravation
    and the least risk

Balancing those out on a particular deal he had, led him to do exactly what Jacqui suggested above. He had a block that could be developed, so he “ran the numbers” and found something like this (I don’t recall the actual figures but is an example):-
    Developing and building one extra house was going to gain him just $20k in 9 months (erk!!)
    Developing and building two extra houses was going to gain him around $120k in 10 months (not so bad)
    Getting Development approval and onselling to a builder would gain him $100k in 6 months without having to actually build them himself. (He chose this path)

Though building two houses would have earned him more, he would have had to outlay far more to build two houses, so the return on investment was going to be way lower than spending just enough for a DA, and getting nearly the same return more quickly.

Way less aggravation and risk !! You may well be in that same situation – run your numbers, and see what they say.

Benny

PS By the way, I just found Steve’s actual numbers and the story (I didn’t have the facts right, as I suspected… wah!!) It is the story that opens Chapter16 of “0 – 130 Properties in 3.5 Years”. His third option actually paid him MORE money than the second option did. Oh, and there was way more to it too, so go find it if you have the book.

Oh, and the final learning from the story (as it all worked out to a $130k profit) was “How many deals like this would YOU have to do each year to replace your wage?”

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Benny Benny. Reason: Adding the book reference
    Profile photo of AndyAndy
    Participant
    @andyjones

Suri – I am no expert so bear this in mind with the way I think.
    What is your ability to service the loan for this property? It would seem that choices you make would be dependent on your circumstances.
    If the monthly net holding costs of this property put you under a lot of financial stress then you might plan with a bias towards a short term solution.
    I assume you are talking about Croydon in Victoria, if so I went to an auction at the weekend – 1200 sqm+ with a small house on it but plans and approvals in place for 3 townhouses. Advertised $620+, sold for $923k!!!
    I would tend to think that you haven’t paid “too much” for the block, you just need to make the right decision on the next steps and ensure you can afford to hold it in the mean time. If you can the plans & permits path to selling to a developer/builder sounds like good advice.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I’m going to address the most concerning question here: whether or not your lender will finance this purchase. If not it becomes a matter of losing the deposit and possibly being sued.

For the moment, all energy should probably be put into determining how to finance this purchase if the bank says no. Then worry about everything else after that. Ability to finance the purchase and settle the purchase is the most pressing issue.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

This is known as buyers remorse – most people suffer from it.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.