All Topics / Help Needed! / How to find out who owns a boarded up house?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Property SourcerProperty Sourcer
    Participant
    @propertysourcing

I am starting out as a property finder for local property investors. I am based in the UK.

When I travel round my city, I see houses with the windows or doors boarded up (with wooden boards or metal grates). Many have no ‘for sale’ signs on them. How do I find out who owns these property?

Also, does the fact that they’re boarded up and have no for sale signs mean they’re repossessed properties? Or could they still be owned by someone?

Thanks.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi PropertySourcer.
    Send snail mail, it’ll probably have a redirection order on it and should reach the owner somewhere.
    Ask Council.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Local council should have the details of who owns the property.

Or write down the address and do a title search on the property for the cost of between 11 and 25 dollars.

Usually boarded up houses are government housing as they are usually the only people that board up their houses.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

RP data has the info you need. Ask a RE agent or someone with access.

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi PS,
    As Jamie pointed out in another thread, we are an Australian based forum, and some of the answers given are specifically Australian-centric. However, the comments may hold some clues for you.

Based on the questions, you are obviously quite new to the role. I’d be suggesting you find someone else in your area who is alrady doing it successfully, and learn from them. You might need to cut them in on some commissions as a sweetener, but they may already have all of the answers, and their help will likely speed you on your way and prevent you “doing your dough” on some deals through inexperience.

Good on you for having a go though – I wish you all the best,

Benny.

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

does the fact that they’re boarded up and have no for sale signs mean they’re repossessed properties? Or could they still be owned by someone?

Thanks.

You will find that a lot of councils in the UK have “Housing Officers”, these people keep a log of vacant unoccupied houses in their area. I some council areas it’s a violation of the local council by-laws to own a house and keep it empty. Some councils will repossess an empty property as they be leave it’s degrades the street and general area to have vacant housing.

I can’t help you with the title records system in the UK, but it shouldn’t be hard to find an owner. Call a few lawyers until one will tell you how to find out. Plan “B” door knock up and down the street. Ask at the house over the back fence, down at the cornerstone, at the Pub etc… Don’t ask who owns it at first, ask who lived there.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.