All Topics / Help Needed! / how to strcuture the loan

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of smartcubesmartcube
    @smartcube

Hi all,

iam about to purchase a property to live in.the price is 540 and i have saved 200k in online account.how best do i structure the loan(ex:pay 20% so i avoid the LMI or pay LMI and use the funds as offset). or any other things i need to aware of or look into. i have plans to buy one more property if all goes will in a year or 2.

please throw in your ideas around this.

Ta

Smartcube

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hiya

It's hard to provide a detailed response without knowing the finer details of your situation.

If there's a chance that the property may become an IP down the track then it might be best to pay a bit of LMI and borrow more from the bank. That way, when it becomes an IP you'll have a larger loan to claim on and you might also be able to claim back some of the LMI costs (depending on how long you've had the loan for).

However, you also need to consider your tolerance to risk. Some people take comfort in having a lower LVR.

What are your IP plans over the next 10 years or so?

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of smartcubesmartcube
    @smartcube

Thanks Jamie.

Forgot to mention.if all goes well yes i do plan to convert this to an IP in 2 years time or buy another IP.can we claim LMI from ATO?i was not aware that this can be done.how is this done is there any rules around this.

Thanks

smartcube

@smartcube

any thoughts pls??

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi smartcube,

I think Jamie has nailed it :-

Quote:
    If there's a chance that the property may become an IP down the track then it might be best to pay a bit of LMI and borrow more from the bank.

As Jamie also said, you would need to provide more detailed information to get any more detailed answers.  Re all of the other "ins and outs" of finance, you'd be best to engage with someone like Jamie – they know this stuff backwards.  And they have access to a whole tranche of lenders – some of which will "fit" with your situation, and others that won't fit.   It is great to have a Broker sort all of that stuff out – saves a lot of shoe leather.

I'd suggest you share your situation in full with Jamie (or another MB if you wish) to see where that leads.  No doubt, that meeting will answer a lot of questions you maybe didn't even know you had !!  smiley

Benny

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Hi Smartcube.

As Jamie mentioned it does depend on your risk tolerance and future goal, so planning is key and knowing what each "purchase" would do to your cash flow and savings is helpful. 

Really need to know your personal situation to comment but giving you a general idea…

Say you did use a 20% deposit – on an $540,000 purchase the outlay would be $108,000 for deposit + ~$20,000 for Stamp duty = $128,000…all good, you still have $72k in cash if you wanted to buy other IP in 2 years time; also to avoid LMI you will have to find other $128,000 ( presuming same price)  so around $56,000 to save in 2 years OR you could pay for LMI on your 2nd purchase. 

^ Sounds all good…now this is where it can get a bit messy and complex…Your future borrowing capacity.

1. getting your 1st loan would be easy as you have so much cash and im presuming no major debt ….Getting your 2nd loan "may" be a bit harder as you would now have a home loan debt from your 1st purchase and less cash and as life goes on more responsibilities, accidents, more lialbiltes etc…

2. Borrowing capacity tend to drop off as you buy more ( a very general statement as there are some expections  ) so getting your 2nd loan may be tricker and much harder especially with LMI involved

3. So if you find out that your personal borrowing capacity drops off dramatically after your 1st purchase than…. max out your LMI exposure early if your planning on buying again in a short period of time…leave the "Easy loans/ 20 % deposit loans " till much later when everything becomes more complex and  harder to approve/afford…

4. Yes you can claim LMI back over 5 years, if it's used as an IP.

5. You may want to buy your PPOR next and it may be > $540,000 were you gonna find the 20% deposit now?? always better to pay for LMI on your IP compared to your PPOR.( lower loan for your PPOR VS your IP)

Go speak to your banker or broker regarding

1. Current borrowing capacity

2. Future borrowing capacity AFTER you bought your 1st property ( ie 2nd future borrowing capacity)

3. Future borrowing capacity with standard rates 1.5% higher than current rate  AFTER you bought your 1st property ( ie 2nd future borrowing capacity)

4. Re do number 2 and 3 based on a 90% and 80% LVR borrowing. 

Plan plan plan.

Cheers

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Nice post, Shape !!!   

*applause*

Benny

@smartcube

thanks all.really appreciated.

so does this mean that its smart to tale 90% loan and use the funds in offset account this will reduce the interest paid and iam sure will change this into ip in year or 2 so i can claim the LMI on tax?

Ta,

Smartcube

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape
    smartcube wrote:

so does this mean that its smart to tale 90% loan and use the funds in offset account this will reduce the interest paid and iam sure will change this into ip in year or 2 so i can claim the LMI on tax?

Ta,

Smartcube

Yes in majority of cases. Especially if your thinking of buying your PPOR in the near future. 

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of bennyficabennyfica
    Participant
    @bennyfica
    Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    smartcube wrote:

Ta,

Smartcube

Yep – it can be quite a clever strategy.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Say it is a $540,000 property with $40,000 in stamp duty and costs. You have $200k cash.

Since you are going to rent the property out in the future you would want to borrow 104% of the purchase price. This may be hard to do without other security, but thinking outside the square there are a few strategies.

Imagine if you you could borrow $580,000. After a while you could move out, rent the place and have the interest on the $580,000 loan fully deductible. You will have access to $200,000 cash for your new PPOR.

So how do you do it?

You should seek legal advice about gifting $200,000 to an appropriately set up discretionary trust which you can control. You then borrow 20% deposit from the trust and obtain the other 80% from a major bank. The trust has lent you money so it could take a mortgage over the property after the bank. This will be good asset protection.

In addition, the trust can lend you the money on a, say, 10 year term with an interest rate of zero percent for the 1st 2 years while you are living there – subject to being allowed in the deed, Once you move out and rent the property the interest rate could be then at commercial rates of around 8% or so – speak to your accountant about how much.

By the time you move out hopefully the property would have increased in value. Say the value is $725,000. This would enable you to apply for a loan of $580,000 with a major bank  This new loan could be used to pay out the loan to the trust. Refinancing one loan with out doesn't change deductibility of interest so the interest on the new loan should be deductible in full – if set up right.

Net result is 104% loan. Asset Protection. No extra interest and more tax deductions once you move out.

Just make sure you get proper advice on this as there are many legal and taxation issues to consider.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.