All Topics / Finance / Getting equity to buy Property 4

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of ChristineNurseChristineNurse
    Participant
    @christinenurse

Good Morning all,

Would like your advice on the following. I currently have 4 properties  (3 investment + 1 residence). All my investments properties are currently fixed for 3 years, interest only loans. I wish to purchase Property investment 4 next year using equity from the other IP. However, because it is interest only, can I get equity. I only have about $10K cash. Will the banks lend me $$. How does this equity work? I heard that if you have an interest only loan, i cannot use the equity.

Can anyone shed some light on how to move forward with finance?

Thanks

Christine

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

It doesn't matter if its interest only or not. Most banks offer free upfront valuations. Speak to your banker or broker and order an upfront valuations first to see how much equity you have. Its quick and its free.

Equity is calculated on the between 80% to 90% of the value. So lets say the property is worth $500,000 and your current loan against the property is $300,000. At 80% lend (which is $400,000) you will have $100,000 in equity ($400,000 minus current loan limit of $300,000). At 90% lend you have $150,000 in equity ($450,000 minus $300,000) but because the LVR is above 80% – you will be paying LMI which can be added to the loan (capitalised). 

In summary – start with the upfront valuation against all the properties to see what sort of equity you have. You may need to tap into a little equity from each property.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Christine,

While talking to your Banker, do check out the "break cost" of any/all of your Fixed Loans.  Depending on what Interest you have locked in, and the lending rates today, you may be up for a huge cost, or nothing at all.   I would think right now, the break costs would be huge.   As I understand it, if they can finalise your Fixed Loan and then re-lend those freed-up dollars at a HIGHER Interest Rate, then the break cost may be very little, or even free…..

But if your Fixed Loan is (say) at 7% and they are only getting 6% if they lend it out again, then the break costs can be exorbitant.   Better to know upfront where you would stand with those.

Perhaps an extra loan can be created over and above a Fixed Loan e.g. using Shahin's example (value $500k, current loan $300k) perhaps you can borrow an extra $100k as a separate loan without "breaking" the Fixed Loan.   It is worth asking the question of your banker/broker. 

Oh, and check any LMI cost – I suspect it could be factored on the total borrowings, and not just on a new $100k loan.   Again a banker/broker would know this.

Benny

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Being fixed doesn't mean you cannot set up a new loan with the same bank – and Benny's suggestion is good too.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    ChristineNurse wrote:
    Good Morning all,

Would like your advice on the following. I currently have 4 properties  (3 investment + 1 residence). All my investments properties are currently fixed for 3 years, interest only loans. I wish to purchase Property investment 4 next year using equity from the other IP. However, because it is interest only, can I get equity. I only have about $10K cash. Will the banks lend me $$. How does this equity work? I heard that if you have an interest only loan, i cannot use the equity.

Can anyone shed some light on how to move forward with finance?

Thanks

Christine

Fixed and interest only doesn't necessarily present an issue when releasing equity.

What are the values and loan amounts for each property and which lenders are they with? 

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Christine

Who is the lender ?

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of ChristineNurseChristineNurse
    Participant
    @christinenurse

Hi Jamie/Richard,

Heres the info

PPOR: ING, fixed 3 YRS, I, 4.84% ,Loan amt:$230K

IP1: WESTPAC, fixed I,  1YR, 4.99%, $164K (BOUGHT $242K)

IP 2: MACQUARIE, Fixed 3yr I, 5.19%, $240K

Cash / Savings: $20k, BUT only want to use $10K

So have I dug myself into a hole?

Profile photo of BoughtWithEquityBoughtWithEquity
    Participant
    @boughtwithequity

Hard to say what you've done at this point with the information provided.  What's the 3rd investment property?  what's the cashflow on each of these units?  You might want to inquire with each of your current lenders what kind of deals they can offer you to consolidate all of the loans with one lender.  You can sometimes do that in the states with minimal costs.  You have some excellent brokers responding here who can probably help you directly so its worth contacting them.  I hate debt and hate bankers even more.  These are all short term loans and what if the market tanks when they mature?  Then, you are stuck with no way to refinance.  Too my way of thinking, you are already too highly leveraged and shouldn't even be thinking of taking on a 4th property….especially with not much in cash reserves.  Doing so usually leads to trouble.

You might also want to consider raising private money for future investing.  That's what I do.  We pay our front-end partners 10% and half the profits on properties we purchase which we then renovate and rent as shared housing…before selling them off to passive investors.  The model works well and our front-end partners are secure and averaging 20% to 30% per deal.  We created a referral network to attract new investors by which we split our profits with referral partners 50/50.  It's a win-win model and while we don't make a ton of money per deal, it brings us a steady supply of funds.  The referral partners are able to monetize their social network and the investors can't earn these kinds of returns anywhere else.  Granted the properties we purchase in  the state are a ton cheaper than what you are looking at but the principles are the same.  Just be very careful that you have your bases fully covered on the properties you already own before you bite off more.  Have you thought about consolidating the other loans and paying off the $164k loan?  Happy New Year and happy investing!  Andy

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Christine

Thanks for the additional information.

No not at all i think you certainly have options available for equity release.

Whilst ING can be a pain to deal with for an increase loan there are a couple of ways around it.

As long as you have serviceability to move forward i think you have amble opportunity to increase your portfolio.

Cheers

Yours in Finance 

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.